Like Tree9854Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    All of you guys going through the medical exam....any of you have a hearing loss having any problems passing that portion? Can someone please give me some info on this hearing test. Who administers it, how long it takes, etc. Of all parts of this whole hiring process that's the only part I'm worried about.
    Good question bro.. I have minor hearing loss from being in the army.. Tanks shooting and stuff.. I don't need a hearing aid or anything..

But yeah it is a little concerning now that you bring it up..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    All of you guys going through the medical exam....any of you have a hearing loss having any problems passing that portion? Can someone please give me some info on this hearing test. Who administers it, how long it takes, etc. Of all parts of this whole hiring process that's the only part I'm worried about.
    If you have ever taken a DOT test, it's the same exact thing. You sit in a sound proof booth wearing head phones listening to very low sounds, and you hit the button on the joystick when you hear it. They are very low frequency sounds, so you have to have pretty good hearing. You take the hearing test at HQ when you go for your medical, and your results are instant. Good luck!
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 05-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    If you have ever taken a DOT test, it's the same exact thing. You sit in a sound proof booth wearing head phones listening to very low sounds, and you hit the button on the joystick when you hear it. They are very low frequency sounds, so you have to have pretty good hearing. You take the hearing test at HQ when you go for your medical, and your results are instant. Good luck!
    That kind of freaks me out..a little nervous. What are the pass/fail parameters?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    If we want to only take the cash, we can. Going into the academy is not a pre-requisite to be offered the money.
    Skell either way.
    SkylinePCG and BrooklynBorn like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    That kind of freaks me out..a little nervous. What are the pass/fail parameters?
    That, I don't know, maybe you can google it or ask your physician. Maybe you can find a place that does it, and give it a shot just to see how you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

Freaks me out to bro. Mine is from being in the marines as well. I feel I can hear just fine, but them stupid tests say different.

Forum Member

A couple of questions. About the 8 minutes and how it's basically the doctors discretion if you pass or fail. My problem is the warm up I keep doubling my resting heart rate when I do it myself since I have a low resting heart rate so I really practice now with the 8 minutes in mind. I can do 8 minutes no problem, no labor breathing, my HR is under my max. But by 8 minutes I'm soaked from sweat. Is that something the doctor looks at in determining how you're doing or is it more or less where you have trouble breathing, HR, getting wobbly while on the stairs ?

Also I see guys talking about broken bones. I broke my hand about 9 years ago, will I have to report that ? It wasn't a bad break I don't have any problems with it at all. Or will I just cause more problems for myself by mentioning this ?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    A couple of questions. About the 8 minutes and how it's basically the doctors discretion if you pass or fail. My problem is the warm up I keep doubling my resting heart rate when I do it myself since I have a low resting heart rate so I really practice now with the 8 minutes in mind. I can do 8 minutes no problem, no labor breathing, my HR is under my max. But by 8 minutes I'm soaked from sweat. Is that something the doctor looks at in determining how you're doing or is it more or less where you have trouble breathing, HR, getting wobbly while on the stairs ?

Also I see guys talking about broken bones. I broke my hand about 9 years ago, will I have to report that ? It wasn't a bad break I don't have any problems with it at all. Or will I just cause more problems for myself by mentioning this ?
    mention everything because they will find out on their own and then you get caught for leaving it out. If you have no problems with your hand then all should be fine

Forum Member

Sweating is not a problem. Just look like you are OK when you hop off the machine, and you should have no issue. Drink water, keep hydrated, stretch a little, and you should be fine.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a heads up to let you know how real this job gets and how fast it gets that way; one of the probies caught a first due job on his first run on his very first tour. He basically had enough time to put his gear on the rig and tell his officer he was ready to ride. Train up accordingly, because this job will try to kill you the very first time you go to do it.

Forum Member

I broke the same hand twice and I let the doctor know that. They were old injuries and I showed him I can use it fine. Broken bones aren't a big issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Just a heads up to let you know how real this job gets and how fast it gets that way; one of the probies caught a first due job on his first run on his very first tour. He basically had enough time to put his gear on the rig and tell his officer he was ready to ride. Train up accordingly, because this job will try to kill you the very first time you go to do it.
    Wow that is pretty nuts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    Yea, sorry I'd answer all your question:
    As far as paper work:
    If a tb test in the last 6mon, bring the results
    Bring a copy of your hep b and mumps, measles, rubella shots.
    Any medical or traumatic injury, bring copies of all of that. That should be about if as far as paperwork
    You'll need the day of. This will all be spelled out in the letter you will hopefully get soon.
    What do you mean by traumatic injury? If you were hit your head but turned out fine, does that count?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I'm not really a fan of arguing on a computer but, Yes, he told his mentor he has no interest, and as far as prepping himself for the cpat, med, and so on, I couldn't say if he's done that or not. No need to imagine this happening cause it did. And I'm very much aware that there are OC guys that fail the physical, med, etc, but atleast they scored high enough to make it in the doors at HQ to do so. PH's are a joke and like many others, including many fireman, I'm tired of hearing about how the system screwed you guys and you deserve this job. Makes me sick. I'm a Marine Veteran who had to deal with what happened with the last exam and now I have to wait for you lazy, illiterate, morons who couldn't score well enough on a simple civil service exam to get hired before I have a shot.. Bunch of B.S. !!
    Lets think about this. This so called PH has zero interest in the job and is just going to take the money, etc.

So, this PH has physically prepared himself to pass the medical and the CPAT, but he doesn't have any interest in the job. This PH has a mentor, but he is not interested in the job. This PH is actually going through the whole hiring process, but he is not interested in the job and he is only going to take the money. Is anyone reading between the lines. LOL Imagine a PH or any candidate telling a mentor that he has no interest in the job and that he is only going to take the money, etc. LOL REALLY!!!!!

Also, you guys are aware that the PH's are not the only candidates going through the hiring process. It is possible that some of the OC guys are the ones failing the physical, medical, etc. Don't mean to bust you guys bubbles, but stop it about the PH's failing, etc. LOL
    Test: 2000
    Score: 97
    List: 79xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What do you mean by traumatic injury? If you were hit your head but turned out fine, does that count?
    I mean any physical injury you recieved in your
    Lifetime that you were treated for
    In a hospital for.
    Broken bones don't appear to be any issue, especially if they are old and you can use that body part now. I think the concern is that if
    You were to injur the site again, there would be documentation that you came on the job with the injury.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    When you get your medical
    Form, you will see there are a bunch of line items with boxes to check yes or no to (broken bones? Hospital stays? Etc). Essentially, anything you check yes to, you will need to explain in a seperate area that's provided. Any records you have Of those ailments/injuries will be required at the time of your medical.

Forum Member

Hi everyone this is my first post. Im in the military and stationed in Kuwait and will be back around Nov this year. my list number is 3XX. I had a question about Residency Credit. I've been on active duty since 2008 and dont really have stuff required in there list of items to prove residency. All my bank statements and w-2 have my Command address. It does show I pay NY state taxes but probably doesnt mean much. I do have stuff from the military with my Home of Record like my Enlistment Papers. I was just curious if any other Vets were through a similar situation like me. I hear if you show them proof of your Home of Record and you left from MEPS in NYC it would be sufficient, but I would feel better if I heard someone already going through the process. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
    Hi everyone this is my first post. Im in the military and stationed in Kuwait and will be back around Nov this year. my list number is 3XX. I had a question about Residency Credit. I've been on active duty since 2008 and dont really have stuff required in there list of items to prove residency. All my bank statements and w-2 have my Command address. It does show I pay NY state taxes but probably doesnt mean much. I do have stuff from the military with my Home of Record like my Enlistment Papers. I was just curious if any other Vets were through a similar situation like me. I hear if you show them proof of your Home of Record and you left from MEPS in NYC it would be sufficient, but I would feel better if I heard someone already going through the process. Thanks
    If your home of record is within NYC and you left from MEPS out of NYC (I assume ft Hamilton?) you SHOULD be good to go. That info will be typed on your dd214 when you exit the military. I happened to have 3 pieces of proof for residency as well, so I can't say for sure, but I remember my investigator saying something like you left from NYC and lived here before you rolled out to the military, that was good enough. If you can get to a call center, call the main fdny number, I think it's 718-999-2161. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But call and see what they say.
    And don't sweat it! It's already getting hot over there, believe me I know!!! Stay safe bro.

Forum Member

Actually, now that I think about it, fdny has a military laison number. I've posted it here before, so scroll through my old posts. I'll look for it when I get home tonight and post it if you don't find it by then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets think about this. This so called PH has zero interest in the job and is just going to take the money, etc.

So, this PH has physically prepared himself to pass the medical and the CPAT, but he doesn't have any interest in the job. This PH has a mentor, but he is not interested in the job. This PH is actually going through the whole hiring process, but he is not interested in the job and he is only going to take the money. Is anyone reading between the lines. LOL Imagine a PH or any candidate telling a mentor that he has no interest in the job and that he is only going to take the money, etc. LOL REALLY!!!!!

Also, you guys are aware that the PH's are not the only candidates going through the hiring process. It is possible that some of the OC guys are the ones failing the physical, medical, etc. Don't mean to bust you guys bubbles, but stop it about the PH's failing, etc. LOL
    PHs are failing in DROVES. Now, if you consider the fact the that you've failed everything else up to this point (except whining and lawsuits, which is how you got to be a PH in the first place), why would you find it so hard to believe people like you who expect to be given things you want would just take the money? "Training for the CPAT" Dude, anyone who can get through kindergarten gym class can pass the CPAT; no grown man should need to train extra because it's designed for women to be able to pass it.

I have no problem believing a worthless piece of crap like yourself would take advantage of every little thing the job created to walk you through the process just to get on and then vest out with your pension and backpay. You didn't want it bad enough to get a good mark the first time around; what's so different now? You didn't apply yourself to study harder for the next test (like countless guys, including myself) so why should we believe you're aren't just trying now because a carrot is being dangled in front of you?

Tell you what, I'll give you a shot at being a standup guy. Admit that you didn't score high enough on the exam you took to get hired and are only getting on the job because of a lefty judge, and I'll stop coming after you every chance I get.

Forum Member

Anybody with a DQ from PD have to provide paperwork regarding what happened in the section that asks if you were ever DQed from any job in NYC? The FD paperwork asks for: agency, date, reason and disposition, does that mean they are requiring paperwork or just a written explanation.

Secondly does PD APD provide information of your application process to FD investigations? I know when you apply for any police/fire and are fingerprinted your application comes up on any background, but passed that I have no idea.
    Much thanks for any info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, fdny has a military laison number. I've posted it here before, so scroll through my old posts. I'll look for it when I get home tonight and post it if you don't find it by then.
    Dcas Military laison office: 212-669-7280.

Fdny recruitment office: 718-999-3369

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    PHs are failing in DROVES. Now, if you consider the fact the that you've failed everything else up to this point (except whining and lawsuits, which is how you got to be a PH in the first place), why would you find it so hard to believe people like you who expect to be given things you want would just take the money? "Training for the CPAT" Dude, anyone who can get through kindergarten gym class can pass the CPAT; no grown man should need to train extra because it's designed for women to be able to pass it.

I have no problem believing a worthless piece of crap like yourself would take advantage of every little thing the job created to walk you through the process just to get on and then vest out with your pension and backpay. You didn't want it bad enough to get a good mark the first time around; what's so different now? You didn't apply yourself to study harder for the next test (like countless guys, including myself) so why should we believe you're aren't just trying now because a carrot is being dangled in front of you?

Tell you what, I'll give you a shot at being a standup guy. Admit that you didn't score high enough on the exam you took to get hired and are only getting on the job because of a lefty judge, and I'll stop coming after you every chance I get.
    It puts a smile on my face knowing you despise the Phs and we will be working side by side with you.

Forum Member

It puts a smile on my face knowing you despise the Phs and we will be working side by side with you.
    After talking to a couple fireman about the PH issue I'm sure that smile won't last long once/if you make it to a firehouse.
    River6019 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    After talking to a couple fireman about the PH issue I'm sure that smile won't last long once/if you make it to a firehouse.
    It will still be there doing you guys will be trying your best to break me, but won't succeed. Let me give you a double smiley face.

Thread Information