Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    Verbal cues, especially over a phone, can be misleading. Just my experience not specifically with FDNY but just in general. I wouldn't go off them.
    Yes, verbal cues can be misleading, but whatever makes me feel better. Donít ruin my optimistic thoughts. LOL
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I left from Fort Hamilton and got all my HOR info saved. So I should be good. I tried to call but didnt get a answer from the FDNY recruitment and DCAS didnt really know the answer. THANKS AGAIN!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Yes, verbal cues can be misleading, but whatever makes me feel better. Donít ruin my optimistic thoughts. LOL
    You a PH man. "You good to go". Not trying to play you in any way if that's what you thinking. The P in "PH" says it all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    You a PH man. "You good to go". Not trying to play you in any way if that's what you thinking. The P in "PH" says it all.
    Jukez, how many pull-ups are you doing now? Have you increased your reps/sets with the last month? I was able to do 23 reps straight and 100 total this morning.
    Last edited by almostthere; 05-24-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
    Thanks for the info. I left from Fort Hamilton and got all my HOR info saved. So I should be good. I tried to call but didnt get a answer from the FDNY recruitment and DCAS didnt really know the answer. THANKS AGAIN!
    Yea, I'm thinking your gonna be ok too. Good luck. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Jukez, how many pull-ups are you doing now? Have you increased your reps/sets with the last month? I was able to do 23 reps straight and 100 total this morning.
    Haven't tried to max out again but last time was 30+. 23 is pretty impressive though man, do a lot of forearm workouts and I'm sure you can bring it up a few more reps. How's your push ups, sit ups and your 1.5 mile?

Forum Member

Haven't tried to max out again but last time was 30+. 23 is pretty impressive though man, do a lot of forearm workouts and I'm sure you can bring it up a few more reps. How's your push ups, sit ups and your 1.5 mile?
    a good way to strengthen ur forearms with pull ups is do them WITHOUT using ur thumbs. Forearms will fail way before any other part of you does. Try it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    a good way to strengthen ur forearms with pull ups is do them WITHOUT using ur thumbs. Forearms will fail way before any other part of you does. Try it.
    Funny you say that, That's actually how I do them lol. For some reason everyone I know finds them "too hard" but I'm so used to doing it like that that when I try using my thumbs I can't get a good rhythm and barely do 20.

Forum Member

Wow, 30 plus, now that is impressive. My push-ups are okay. I pretty much do 50-40-30-30-20-20-20. I stay away from full sit-ups. I play around with crunches and hang on a bar and lift my legs up.

For the guys who want to link up with one another for a work-out, I suggest you guys accommodate each other due too your place of resident. I recommended you guys take turns weekly meeting up at one workout site instead of having just one particular location. For example, maybe one week whoever lives in Crown Heights, you guys can go there to work out. However lives in Manhattan, you guys can go there and workout, etc.
    Last edited by almostthere; 05-24-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Forum Member

Funny you say that, That's actually how I do them lol. For some reason everyone I know finds them "too hard" but I'm so used to doing it like that that when I try using my thumbs I can't get a good rhythm and barely do 20.
    i actually had to do them this this way for sometime because i injured my thumb playing soccer(odd i know) But yeah the forearms went on me pretty early

OAK
    Forum Member

How wide do you do them?i usually stay a little wider than shoulder width apart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    How wide do you do them?i usually stay a little wider than shoulder width apart.
    They say the wider you do them the better. I guess your wings expands more the wider you position your hands on the bar. I am not a fan of the tricks people do on the bars. All that spinning/flipping on them. I just keep it basic.

Forum Member

They say the wider you do them the better. I guess your wings expands more the wider you position your hands on the bar. I am not a fan of the tricks people do on the bars. All that spinning/flipping on them. I just keep it basic.
    The width and grip you use work your back muscles In different ways. EACH is just as important as the other IMO if you doing it to "shape" your back but since we focusing on maxing out reps I say you do shoulder length as well since is "easier". I do muscle ups when I go to the park just because it works many body parts simultaneously.
    marc3071 likes this.

Forum Member

The width and grip you use work your back muscles In different ways. EACH is just as important as the other IMO if you doing it to "shape" your back but since we focusing on maxing out reps I say you do shoulder length as well since is "easier". I do muscle ups when I go to the park just because it works many body parts simultaneously.
    jukez is 100% correct... and anyone who can do sets of muscles ups is way stronger than me. damn my dude making me feel like i gotta catch up hard #jealous (lol)
    FFwnt2b likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    jukez is 100% correct... and anyone who can do sets of muscles ups is way stronger than me. damn my dude making me feel like i gotta catch up hard #jealous (lol)
    No way man! People have this idea that in order to do muscle up you need strength and its WRONG. I promise that if you get the right technique to get up there once the next 3-4 reps will come easy. Its all momentum after the first one.

Forum Member

Gentle reminder: There are really only 2 times that you need to do pullups (and where the # you do actually matters). Baseline fitness testing in week 1, and baseline fitness testing in week 17/18. For someone like Jukez that seems set on going for fitness award winner it may be worthwhile to keep working on them, but if you can safely do more than 4 then don't lose sight of the big picture.

I could do more than other guys in my squad who, on the other hand, beat my FST time by several minutes. I'd rather be better at FST.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Gentle reminder: There are really only 2 times that you need to do pullups (and where the # you do actually matters). Baseline fitness testing in week 1, and baseline fitness testing in week 17/18. For someone like Jukez that seems set on going for fitness award winner it may be worthwhile to keep working on them, but if you can safely do more than 4 then don't lose sight of the big picture.

I could do more than other guys in my squad who, on the other hand, beat my FST time by several minutes. I'd rather be better at FST.

Any types of workouts you'd recommend we concentrate more on with this in mind?
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

No way man! People have this idea that in order to do muscle up you need strength and its WRONG. I promise that if you get the right technique to get up there once the next 3-4 reps will come easy. Its all momentum after the first one.
    What borough you live in? Wanna meet up at a park to show me how!!!!!! Btw im from queens. PM me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I'm also curious, I know what FST is but I have no idea what it consist of.

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to be doing a circuit workout followed by some sort of high interval cardio. Running is what you'll do at the Rock for cardio, but you can do it on a stepmill or stationary bike. Low weight, high rep exercises, pushups, leglifts, jumping jacks are all things you'll do at proby school that will help with your FST. Try something like this using 10 lbs weights:

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 tricep presses (do these three one after the other)
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You need to be doing a circuit workout followed by some sort of high interval cardio. Running is what you'll do at the Rock for cardio, but you can do it on a stepmill or stationary bike. Low weight, high rep exercises, pushups, leglifts, jumping jacks are all things you'll do at proby school that will help with your FST. Try something like this using 10 lbs weights:

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 tricep presses (do these three one after the other)
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.
    Thanks this is perfect. Gonna give it a try next week

Forum Member

That is a excellent routine to follow. I just got back from the gym, did the stair mill, abs, and I don't know if the rowing machine will help for the FDNY, but man I love that machine. It's some workout! After that, got dragged into playing hoops.....
    Tommorrow morning, hopefully it will be dry out, need to go for that morning run.

Forum Member

teufelhunden summed it up better than I could. Just another thing to consider: You want to try and prepare by doing everything to a level higher than what might be expected in the academy. If you can run 5 miles in 40 min or less that's awesome, and you'll be pretty prepared to run in the academy. You won't run that far or fast till the very end, but on a day to day basis you'll probably be dehydrated to some degree, exhausted, and doing your best to keep going throughout the day.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    That is a excellent routine to follow. I just got back from the gym, did the stair mill, abs, and I don't know if the rowing machine will help for the FDNY, but man I love that machine. It's some workout! After that, got dragged into playing hoops.....
    Tommorrow morning, hopefully it will be dry out, need to go for that morning run.
    I jogged last night and it felt great despite the weather. I also did a nice jog this morning. Dont lose out on a good run/jog due too weather. Sometimes I enjoy jogging in this type of weather than a hot day. I was watching a marathon some time back on TV, and several runners were being interviewed. A lot of them were stating, if you can have a good jog in winter weather conditions, than you can easily have a better workout run in good weather conditions.

Forum Member

Thanks this is perfect. Gonna give it a try next week
    I actually saw a five minute click on youtube of candidates performing this same workout at the rock. They all had on red sweat suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1RpAl40UE
    Last edited by almostthere; 05-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Kevin23 likes this.

Thread Information