Like Tree9967Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Thanks this is perfect. Gonna give it a try next week
    That's pretty much the workout you'll do at the Rock. FST is like anything else; it takes practice. It WILL kick your ***, even if you're ready. Once you start doing it you'll figure out how to pace yourself, save air and still get a good score. But it's misery either way, so train up. That workout goes hand in hand with 6 hours of very physical evolutions at proby school, so experiment with heavier weights or extra circuits if you like. But the main idea is reps, so use a weight that allows you to do ALL reps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    That's pretty much the workout you'll do at the Rock. FST is like anything else; it takes practice. It WILL kick your ***, even if you're ready. Once you start doing it you'll figure out how to pace yourself, save air and still get a good score. But it's misery either way, so train up. That workout goes hand in hand with 6 hours of very physical evolutions at proby school, so experiment with heavier weights or extra circuits if you like. But the main idea is reps, so use a weight that allows you to do ALL reps.
    Thanks for the info man. I've been using that book they give us with the circuit training but this seems more solid .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I jogged last night and it felt great despite the weather. I also did a nice jog this morning. Dont lose out on a good run/jog due too weather. Sometimes I enjoy jogging in this type of weather than a hot day. I was watching a marathon some time back on TV, and several runners were being interviewed. A lot of them were stating, if you can have a good jog in winter weather conditions, than you can easily have a better workout run in good weather conditions.
    You should follow whatever your running schedule is regardless of the weather (barring extreme weather of course). PT and training will go on regardless of the weather, so it's best if you get used to that now. As at least one instructor is fond of saying: If it ain't raining, it ain't training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You need to be doing a circuit workout followed by some sort of high interval cardio. Running is what you'll do at the Rock for cardio, but you can do it on a stepmill or stationary bike. Low weight, high rep exercises, pushups, leglifts, jumping jacks are all things you'll do at proby school that will help with your FST. Try something like this using 10 lbs weights:

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 tricep presses (do these three one after the other)
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.
    10lb weights when running as well?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    10lb weights when running as well?
    No not while running.

Forum Member

Thanks for all you that served, and today we remember everyone that lost their lives for our freedom.

Forum Member

I like to train with heavy weight/low reps to increase strength and to increase my power-endurance window and moderate weight/high reps for endurance/mental toughness. My favorites:

20 rep squats. These will be done rest-pause mostly likely after rep 10. These will be the hardest set of any exercise you will do. Lots of mental strength and discipline. Your heart rate will be pushed. You might see Jesus towards the end. I can't wait till the day I get 315 x 20, yes I am sick like that(hopefully by the end of summer). One set a week is good for those who are doing conditioning. I would occasionally for ****s and giggles see how much I can rep out with just 135.

Poundstone Curls. Basically max reps with a 45 pound bar. Made famous by Strongman Derek Poundstone to help assist with his hand over hand pulling endurance(hmmmm firefighters do that movement as well.....). You can pause, just don't drop the bar. I would set a goal for 100 reps, Derek Poundstone does over 300 reps.

Kroc Rows. High rep dumbbell rows over 20 reps. Jim Wendler gave this name after watching his friend and powerlifter/bodybuilder Matt Kroc repping out ridiculous high reps with heavy dumbbell. No straps, no chalk, no hook grip. Start with something moderate to low(50-60's), add 5 pounds every week or go for higher reps(go for 30). You will develop your grip/forearms, and upper back. It will not be long when you will be repping out 100 pound dumbbell, seriously.

Other exercises to do 20 reps or more: Weighted dips(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pushups(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pullups(try to do 10 or more bw before weighted), tricep pushdowns, face pulls, RDL's or kettlebell swings.
    KingHenrik likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    I like to train with heavy weight/low reps to increase strength and to increase my power-endurance window and moderate weight/high reps for endurance/mental toughness. My favorites:

20 rep squats. These will be done rest-pause mostly likely after rep 10. These will be the hardest set of any exercise you will do. Lots of mental strength and discipline. Your heart rate will be pushed. You might see Jesus towards the end. I can't wait till the day I get 315 x 20, yes I am sick like that(hopefully by the end of summer). One set a week is good for those who are doing conditioning. I would occasionally for ****s and giggles see how much I can rep out with just 135.

Poundstone Curls. Basically max reps with a 45 pound bar. Made famous by Strongman Derek Poundstone to help assist with his hand over hand pulling endurance(hmmmm firefighters do that movement as well.....). You can pause, just don't drop the bar. I would set a goal for 100 reps, Derek Poundstone does over 300 reps.

Kroc Rows. High rep dumbbell rows over 20 reps. Jim Wendler gave this name after watching his friend and powerlifter/bodybuilder Matt Kroc repping out ridiculous high reps with heavy dumbbell. No straps, no chalk, no hook grip. Start with something moderate to low(50-60's), add 5 pounds every week or go for higher reps(go for 30). You will develop your grip/forearms, and upper back. It will not be long when you will be repping out 100 pound dumbbell, seriously.

Other exercises to do 20 reps or more: Weighted dips(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pushups(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pullups(try to do 10 or more bw before weighted), tricep pushdowns, face pulls, RDL's or kettlebell swings.
    Sounds like you are a monster in the gym.

How often do you guys sprint and run up the stairs for a good workout. MM, did you guys do a lot of running up the stairs. I recall going to my first CPAT training at the Rock, and I happen to run into probies, about ten running up stairs. Is this something that's done a lot and would you recommend us doing stairs training?

Forum Member

I tried 20 rep squats and have been doing 5 reps for so long I released quickly that I will need to do 10 reps for a while first because I am untrained for it. I also plan to throw front squats in eventually but would be new to those. I can do 315 deep deep reps for a few but have to drop down to 185 to get 10. Next work out I am gonna go for 225x10 for 5 sets. and try to repeat that range 2-3 times a week and work the weight up and then reps up. I squat lowbar by the way.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-27-2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I just wish my references would receive their letters from the FDNY, that's pretty much the only thing I'm stressing about.

Forum Member

What's the process as far as listing past employment? Do they just send a letter verifying that you were employed there it does it ask questions as far as what type of worker you are, late/call out records etc. thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    What's the process as far as listing past employment? Do they just send a letter verifying that you were employed there it does it ask questions as far as what type of worker you are, late/call out records etc. thanks in advance
    I really hope they just contact your current or last job. I've been at the same job 7 years and two of the previous jobs I've held that I had 2+ years of experience at are now out of business. One of them going back more than 10 years ago, I don't have contacts with anyone that I worked with at those jobs. Also do they want every job you have had regardless of time worked there. I have several jobs in my past where I only worked a few weeks for extra money or was in between jobs and just took something to put money in my pocket until I found something new.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I really hope they just contact your current or last job. I've been at the same job 7 years and two of the previous jobs I've held that I had 2+ years of experience at are now out of business. One of them going back more than 10 years ago, I don't have contacts with anyone that I worked with at those jobs. Also do they want every job you have had regardless of time worked there. I have several jobs in my past where I only worked a few weeks for extra money or was in between jobs and just took something to put money in my pocket until I found something new.
    Yeah that's what in curious about also, I've had a couple jobs where I was only there a few weeks until I found something better

Forum Member

Everyone get the email about the proof for points needing to be in before june 3rd? Mine is done just posting in case anyone needs to get theirs in

Forum Member

That's all great, but can you do 25+ reps of overhead tricep extensions with 10# dumbbells?

Going through the academy is going to mean giving up on your strength for 4.5 months and doing their program, which is primarily concerned with endurance.

almostthere: During regular PT, not that much. What you saw were people in remedial PT, which is done twice a week, and you're guaranteed to do stair running in remedial.

Forum Member

I think it was teufulhunden that posted a month or two ago that one day of heavy weights per week, meaning squats/deadlifts etc. should be enough. It's been something I'm struggling with but, putting my pride aside and doing the endurance work. But hearing guys OTJ like MM who just went through say it like it is it helps a lot.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    That's all great, but can you do 25+ reps of overhead tricep extensions with 10# dumbbells?

Going through the academy is going to mean giving up on your strength for 4.5 months and doing their program, which is primarily concerned with endurance.

almostthere: During regular PT, not that much. What you saw were people in remedial PT, which is done twice a week, and you're guaranteed to do stair running in remedial.
    lol... this makes me so happy...This is what my 150 pound frame was built for

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    lol... this makes me so happy...This is what my 150 pound frame was built for
    Wow, you are small. But, that can be a great advantage for this type of situation. I am assuming you have good stamina when it comes to running, and can probably compete with Julez. Or is julez in a bracket all by himself. Lol

Forum Member

Wow, you are small. But, that can be a great advantage for this type of situation. I am assuming you have good stamina when it comes to running, and can probably compete with Julez. Or is julez in a bracket all by himself. Lol
    own bracket as far as strength-endurance. 30+ pull ups is on a different level

Forum Member

Jukez* bro! I always say "don't judge a book but its cover". I might look small but I compete with the "strong" guys in lifting heavy as well. Also remember that Being HEALTHY through out the academy is crucial in order to perform at you best towards the end of the academy.

Forum Member

you ever see american ninja warrior? look at these guys body types. I don't know very many people that would call these guys "big". These guys are STRONG AS **** and their strength-endurance is unreal. Same thing with decathletes. There is a reason these guys are that size. Power is a factor; that is something you are born with you can't really increase power all that much.

All im trying to say is that after a certain point gains in size are probably no longer linear to your gains in strength and I know the "perfect" amount of muscle is less than most American males think.

I think someone my size and frame at 5'8" perfect all around weight (less than 10% body fat) probably right around 165
    Last edited by coldblood92; 05-28-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

you ever see american ninja warrior? look at these guys body types. I don't know very many people that would call these guys "big". These guys are STRONG AS **** and their strength-endurance is unreal. Same thing with decathletes. There is a reason these guys are that size. Power is a factor; that is something you are born with you can't really increase power all that much.

All im trying to say is that after a certain point gains in size are probably no longer linear to your gains in strength and I know the "perfect" amount of muscle is less than most American males think.

I think someone my size and frame at 5'8" perfect all around weight (less than 10% body fat) probably right around 165
    I'm dying to do one of those American ninja shows haha. Everytime I picture it in my head I see myself going head first in the water going from the trampoline to the wall walking though lol

And I'm not too sure about the being born strong or not part. I think with dedication you can build your strength. I seen it happen many times before, with creatine supplements and with out it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm dying to do one of those American ninja shows haha. Everytime I picture it in my head I see myself going head first in the water going from the trampoline to the wall walking though lol

And I'm not too sure about the being born strong or not part. I think with dedication you can build your strength. I seen it happen many times before, with creatine supplements and with out it
    HAHA!

and...

strength and power are two very different things.

Forum Member

HAHA!

and...

strength and power are two very different things.
    Touché my friend

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Touché my friend
    lol noooo...its the phys ed head/teacher in me.

Power is the ability to do one movement very quickly. Think of this as something like the javelin throw. Most sports are "power" activities.
    Strength is defined as the ability to move as much weight as possible, once. Speed does not matter. So think more along the lines of chest press 1 rep max.

Let me give an example of how "strength" is over rated. I'm going to assume most of the people on here know who George st pierre is. If not look him up. His walk around weight is around 190. The man struggles to do a single max rep at 225,chest press. Now this is a super elite athlete, who is clearly "stronger" than other people that could out lift him. You have to ask why, and I encourage everyone to look up his workout routine. Not what you might expect.
    Last edited by coldblood92; 05-29-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Thread Information