Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 437 of 1209 FirstFirst ... 337387427434435436437438439440447487537937 ... LastLast
Results 8,721 to 8,740 of 24168
Like Tree9404Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    HopefulFF -
    You said you needed to get a court doc for the summons - was the summons something you got printed for? The applicant packet doesnt ask for anything about summons docs and I dont think open container summons comes up on a fingerprint check. Just looking to get some info
    I was not printed for my summons, it was a $20 fine (since it was dismissed I didn't pay though) from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Does anyone know if CID will let us know if we are good to go on the investigation portion once everything is done? or is it completely up to us to follow up with them? I just dont want to become a pain in their *** when im calling every 5 days to make sure they received everything i send them.

I believe you have to keep on top of them to find out if your background is all finished. Keep in mind though, you want to walk the line between covering yourself and being a pain in the a**. It's a fine line lol
    vekdoggs75 and J0hnnyb0y like this.

Forum Member

I believe you have to keep on top of them to find out if your background is all finished. Keep in mind though, you want to walk the line between covering yourself and being a pain in the a**. It's a fine line lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not trying to get on their bad side. Its just frustrating having to rely on the post office to make sure my stuff gets to them. I tried giving them an unopened official transcript personally but they said they want it mailed from the school.
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

Forum Member

Does anyone know if CID will let us know if we are good to go on the investigation portion once everything is done? or is it completely up to us to follow up with them? I just dont want to become a pain in their *** when im calling every 5 days to make sure they received everything i send them.[/QUOTE]

They'll understand why you're calling especially if they requested more info from you. As long as you're respectufl and courteous on the phone, they shouldn't have a problem with a phone call once a week until everything is in their records.
    mannyjay likes this.

Forum Member

They wouldn't let you fax the stuff to them? I remember faxing some of my info to them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    What is there to be frustrated about? You think people that are on Public Assistance only have run down clothes, not up-to-date accessories or don't have fashionable jewelry. A lot of these people at one point where well off with good paying jobs that were able to have such necessity/accessories. All of that stuff doesn't go away once you start reserving food stamps or receiving help from the government. Don’t get me wrong, there are scammers out there who are taking advantage of the government but don't assume that all are. Yes, you are right; this job is the help and not judge.
    After a few years on this job one sees a lot to be frustrated with. All forms of public assistance, welfare and food stamps are extremely helpful to a lot of people in dire straights, but it is rife with scammers. If I see someone with an iPhone 5 on welfare, it makes me wonder.....maybe they did buy it before they hit hard times, but now they have the money to keep up a data plan? Being poor doesn't mean you wear rags, but I've been poor, didn't opt for EBT even though we qualified, and I didn't buy the latest gear. I see Cadillacs and Range Rovers in NYCHA parking lots. I see people check out in the grocery store, pay with EBT, then take out cash to buy beer and other things that are not covered by EBT. if you have money for beer, you don't need public assistance to buy groceries. SNAP, EBT, welfare, they make life livable for a lot of people, but it is rife with abuse and doesn't do enough to encourage people to move onwards and upwards. The system is very flawed.

All of the above does not excuse the lewd and thoughtless comments of the former EMT Cassano. He displayed a total lack of judgement and compassion. While I know what it is to see rampant abuse of the system, I also know we do a lot of good and you just have to deal with those few that use 911 as a ride to the ER, or call for an ambulance to be "checked out" when they know they don't want to go to the hospital. That's not an emergency.

Every case that one finds frustrating is never a reason to denigrate entire groups, that's what makes someone a bigot. Twitter isn't a journal, it isn't a place to vent. I'm glad to see this ***** resign. There is no place for that persona on this job.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 03-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    After a few years on this job one sees a lot to be frustrated with. All forms of public assistance, welfare and food stamps are extremely helpful to a lot of people in dire straights, but it is rife with scammers. If I see someone with an iPhone 5 on welfare, it makes me wonder.....maybe they did buy it before they hit hard times, but now they have the money to keep up a data plan? Being poor doesn't mean you wear rags, but I've been poor, didn't opt for EBT even though we qualified, and I didn't buy the latest gear. I see Cadillacs and Range Rovers in NYCHA parking lots. I see people check out in the grocery store, pay with EBT, then take out cash to buy beer and other things that are not covered by EBT. if you have money for beer, you don't need public assistance to buy groceries. SNAP, EBT, welfare, they make life livable for a lot of people, but it is rife with abuse and doesn't do enough to encourage people to move onwards and upwards. The system is very flawed.

All of the above does not excuse the lewd and thoughtless comments of the former EMT Cassano. He displayed a total lack of judgement and compassion. While I know what it is to see rampant abuse of the system, I also know we do a lot of good and you just have to deal with those few that use 911 as a ride to the ER, or call for an ambulance to be "checked out" when they know they don't want to go to the hospital. That's not an emergency.

Every case that one finds frustrating is never a reason to denigrate entire groups, that's what makes someone a bigot. Twitter isn't a journal, it isn't a place to vent. I'm glad to see this ***** resign. There is no place for that persona on this job.
    Hit the nail right on the head.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

MembersZone Subscriber

Ill second that

Forum Member

Well said and I totally agree.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Well said and I totally agree. Also, a lot of people are failing the stairmaster based on their heart rate and not based on their physical capability. I had my medical today and out of 20 people only two passed. Most have to come back to do the five minutes or the eight minutes. I wasnt aware that their is a weight limit to be a firefighter. I heard you have to be max 220 lbs.

Forum Member

Hey guys -
    Are any of you using P90X to train? I'm combining this with running and the Stairmaster with a vest.

Forum Member

In 2008, going through the process with 6019, I called my investigator once every 7-10 days to make sure he had everything he needed. He didn't have an issue with it at all. Eventually he told me I was squared away and to be ready for the run.

Just keep on top of what they ask you for, be entirely accommodating and it should go smoothly.

Like someone else said, if you're polite and respectful, everything should be fine.
    Last edited by Minerva; 03-19-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

About a month ago someone posted the weighted vest they bought on amazon (maybe Jukez?). Would whoever it was mind doing it again? I think it was a 60lb. one.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P6...r=8-14&pi=SL75

It was a 80 one bro but They also make a 60 one though.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P6...r=8-14&pi=SL75

It was a 80 one bro but They also make a 60 one though.
    Check on ebay, for whatever reason the shipping from ZFOsports for the 60 LBS vest on their ebay store is cheaper than buying it from them on Amazon. Or at least it was last week. I plan on ordering it that way when I come back from vacation next week. I don't think my landlord will be too happy about lugging a 60 LBS vest inside lol.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Check on ebay, for whatever reason the shipping from ZFOsports for the 60 LBS vest on their ebay store is cheaper than buying it from them on Amazon. Or at least it was last week. I plan on ordering it that way when I come back from vacation next week. I don't think my landlord will be too happy about lugging a 60 LBS vest inside lol.
    Yea good call man. It's like $16 as opposed to $38 on amazon.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

By the way guys, who ever doesn't have access to a stairmill in the queens area, go to the toys r us in metropolitan ave, they have a crazy long electric escalator you can use. Just be polite to the shoppers on the way down and say excuse me.

Forum Member

Well said and I totally agree. Also, a lot of people are failing the stairmaster based on their heart rate and not based on their physical capability. I had my medical today and out of 20 people only two passed. Most have to come back to do the five minutes or the eight minutes. I wasnt aware that their is a weight limit to be a firefighter. I heard you have to be max 220 lbs.
    Only if your 5 ft 5 lol

Forum Member

The candidate that was informed of this was 5'9, 285. Doctor told him he had to lose weight. I am not sure if they gave him a deadline.

Forum Member

The candidate that was informed of this was 5'9, 285. Doctor told him he had to lose weight. I am not sure if they gave him a deadline.
    If he's 5'9" and 285, maybe this isn't the place for him. That's not fat, that's fully obese. They usually get a second crack at the medical, perhaps 30-60 days later. After that you are medically disqualified. A for the stairs, the longer duration doesn't insure passing. They put you on for a longer period of time and watch you more closely. If you seem okay and are otherwise medically/physically fit, they'll pass you. However, if you look like you're going to pass out and are overweight, you're out.

Guys, the number 1 killer of firemen nationwide is heart failure. Our job goes from 0-100 in minutes and this is very stressful. The medical office is getting very strict with us as far as our annual medical goes. What you do to get on is something you'll do every year of your career. If you're over weight, have pulmonary issues, high blood pressure, ect, you'll be put light duty and sent to PT at the rock on a 5 day a week schedule. This is and SHOULD BE embarrassing. You don't want to be the guy sent to fat camp. They're getting tougher on us and certainly tougher on candidates.

So again, forget all this lifting nonsense. Cardio health is #1.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I had my intake also, claimed residency, and used my college credits as my qualifier. Here is the full list of what I brought and the investigator said I had everything they needed:

SS card (original)
    HS diploma (original)
    Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
    W2 forms 2007-2012
    Bank Statements for the residency period
    CC Statements for the residency period
    college transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL)
    NYS drivers abstract
    one recent pay stub
    5 year (2007-2011 since 2012 wasnt ready yet) detailed earning statement from the ss office ($25)
    $75 money order
    a copy of the 1 summons I received & a disposition from the court

My investigator told me since the summons was over 10 years old, and dismissed it wouldnt have came up on my finger prints, so take that for what it's worth.

the recent pay stub is to verify the address you've been providing as your current address is valid. If you claimed residency and can provide the documents for the time period we are required to, YOU ARE FINE.

Did you have your college transcript mailed directly to them prior to your appointment? Or did you have it mailed to your house and then you brought it in with you? On my college website it states;

"Official Transcripts are only sent to a third party (e.g. college, university, employer, a state or federal agency.) If the name of the institution is not provided, the transcript will be issued as a "Student Transcript". Official Transcripts are NOT issued to students, if the destination name and address is the student's."

Do you think this will be an issue if I have it mailed to my house instead? If so, do I just send it directly to metrotech? Thanks, I hope someone can help me out.

EDIT Disregard, I had an official transcript mailed to my house, just needed to state what institution it was for. Thanks anyway. Just need to pick up my detailed earnings statement tomorrow and I'm good to go. I remember someone suggesting the garden city office. I'm going to get there at open (9am) but I have work at 11am. Think I'll be in and out by then?
    Last edited by Mtk123; 03-19-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information