Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 439 of 1210 FirstFirst ... 339389429436437438439440441442449489539939 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,780 of 24197
Like Tree9406Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #8761
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Closer to 470 I believe "passed" exam 2000. So yeah that's the pool they will draw from not 700. I'd be shocked if they get 100 PHs passing all the steps.
    I agree, from what I've observed within the last week, not much PH's will complete all the steps.


  2. #8762
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I agree there are people who are in great shape but can't pass the stair master due to other reasons. I misunderstood what exactly you you were saying.

  3. #8763
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    almostthere, have you done your psych yet? if so, can you give us an idea of how the process goes?
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

  4. #8764
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    almostthere, have you done your psych yet? if so, can you give us an idea of how the process goes?
    my Psych is next week and I will let you guys know what to expect.
    nycthirteen likes this.

  5. #8765
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Okay, the assessments about the medical are correct. They are not concerned so much about physical abilities as they are about you medical fitness under physical pressure. They don't want you to die on their watch. Your heart rate on the stairs is a fair measure of physical ability, but not perfect. Clearly, some people are in acceptable physical health despite a heart rate that is elevated beyond what is optimal. Those people will be assessed on a case by case basis on the second go around. So, if you can stay on the stairs a bit longer and you seem healthy and unflustered you'll be put through. If you're a fatso and your heart rate is elevated, you're finished, no chance. The example of someone at 5'8", 285 is a good example of someone who won't be passed. I'm almost 6'3" and 220 lbs.........and I need to lose weight!


    As for the psych.....you'll draw two or three pictures of things they ask you to. Then you'll take a multiple choice test consisting of HUNDREDS of repetitive questions. There's no prep, there's nothing to know. They have some formula that figures out trouble tendencies, but no one will explain these things.
    mannyjay likes this.

  6. #8766
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    HopefulFF likes this.

  7. #8767
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    Why might they be asking for that on the cover sheet for the psych, just outta curiousity? They have all of that info in your investigation packet...

  8. #8768
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Why might they be asking for that on the cover sheet for the psych, just outta curiousity? They have all of that info in your investigation packet...
    Don't know why, but they do.....hope this helps.
    Off to work, any questions, pm me, cause its easier to check pm's for me at work then scrolling through post.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 03-20-2013 at 02:12 PM.

  9. #8769
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    And what do you mean you took video of the dates and jobs that you had?

  10. #8770
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    And what do you mean you took video of the dates and jobs that you had?
    Sorry, took video of the application, very convenient at the time. I guess you can take pictures also, but just scrolled through the pages while recording. LOL

  11. #8771
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Sorry, took video of the application, very convenient at the time. I guess you can take pictures also, but just scrolled through the pages while recording. LOL
    Ok so you took a video recording of your background packet and therefore had that handy when certain info was asked on the psych cover sheet (last question, I swear)? I'm actually surprised they allow you to use your cellphone in there...

  12. #8772
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Sorry, took video of the application, very convenient at the time. I guess you can take pictures also, but just scrolled through the pages while recording. LOL
    Since you have the video, do you mind PM'ing it.

  13. #8773
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Ok so you took a video recording of your background packet and therefore had that handy when certain info was asked on the psych cover sheet (last question, I swear)? I'm actually surprised they allow you to use your cellphone in there...
    I could've sworn she said we can use it to get phone numbers if we needed numbers. But let me say this, they will allow you to bring back the dates and employers if you can't remember them at that time. Figured you guys would want to get it out of the way at that point. Now I have to go, pm me, and I will answer questions as fast as I can. Good luck

  14. #8774
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Since you have the video, do you mind PM'ing it.
    My luck I would send you the wrong video, and me and my wife would be all over the Internet.

  15. #8775
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    My luck I would send you the wrong video, and me and my wife would be all over the Internet.
    LOL, that would be too funny.

  16. #8776
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There is no drawing on the pych, there are about 570 questions all asking repetitive questions. Make sure you bring your past employer history, because you will fill out your past employers and dates of employment on the cover sheet. I didn't make copies of my app, but I did take a video of the dates and jobs I had, and it helped a lot. Be prepared for very weird questions.....
    You have 6 hours I think to take the test, but you will probably be done in 3-4 hours. Good luck!
    Interesting that they got rid of the drawings. I was thinking about bringing my own box of crayolas this time around and putting together a masterpiece.

  17. #8777
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Employment wise, what do you put down if just about every company you worked for went out of business after you quit ?
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  18. #8778
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Interesting that they got rid of the drawings. I was thinking about bringing my own box of crayolas this time around and putting together a masterpiece.
    They'd think you were nuts.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  19. #8779
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    The high failure rate on the first run through of the stairs is not surprising. It is a measure of cardiovascular endurance, but is obviously affected by nerves. I remember when I did a trial run on my own time the day before my medical my HR was ~155 after the 3 minute warmup and then 10 minutes with a 50# vest. The next day at the real thing I think my HR was ~170 (cutoff for me was 175).

    Also almostthere I don't understand. They stopped you after the 3 minute warmup? You're supposed to do the warmup then they look at your heart rate after you do the 5 minutes with the vest. That sounds strange to me that they would stop you half way through the test.

  20. #8780
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Also almostthere I don't understand. They stopped you after the 3 minute warmup? You're supposed to do the warmup then they look at your heart rate after you do the 5 minutes with the vest. That sounds strange to me that they would stop you half way through the test.

    I was talking to a PH during CPAT prep and he said at least half of the people he was with were stopped during that 3 minute warm up because their heart rate was too high. I was unaware they were even monitoring your heart rate during the warm up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 44 users browsing this thread. (16 members and 28 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. Britches,
  3. CleverJ,
  4. DannyD0pe,
  5. DSNY2FDNY,
  6. ffbam24,
  7. Gheech,
  8. JDNY13,
  9. joro89,
  10. lodeypot,
  11. Matador611,
  12. MuscleHamster,
  13. nptks,
  14. ready4fire,
  15. xDiegox

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts