Like Tree9513Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Better get cured of that. 7 or 8 floors up an aerial that's almost vertical isn't for people with heights issues.
    I'm just not confident.. Climbed a 35, rappelled, climed an aerial at 75 degree angle..

I just don't do it every day..if its over the wall see ya..or go home.. Guess who's going over wall..me.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

At work, we went up in a 105' Ariel lift track machine, 2 of us went up just in case one of us froze. We didn't, but that boom was swinging back and forth, it was sketchy to say the least. I think you'll be fine, since you've done repelling before.

Forum Member

I've thought about it. My reasoning is that no one actually enjoys heights, but you do what you have to do. Makes sense to me now, we'll see for real when the time comes haha.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm just not confident.. Climbed a 35, rappelled, climed an aerial at 75 degree angle..

I just don't do it every day..if its over the wall see ya..or go home.. Guess who's going over wall..me.
    That's good... because it is indeed over the wall see ya or go home.

Forum Member

Dannypanigale - are you thinking a list number in the 6XXX range has a possibility of going in the 4th class??

I'm early 3XXX and I'm worried about when/if I'll get a call

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    Dannypanigale - are you thinking a list number in the 6XXX range has a possibility of going in the 4th class??

I'm early 3XXX and I'm worried about when/if I'll get a call
    Not really thinking more like hoping ..I'm not near the 3000 or 6000 ... **** I hope you make it in the second to third class

Forum Member

Not gonna lie I'm naturally afraid of heights too and there is no way in hell I'm gonna let that stop me from getting on this job. I don't think you will either man.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

The list came out last september, correct?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quick question... I've seen alot of rappelling/ hanging from ropes from buildings etc.. Is that something they work up to or is it like.. Get over the wall.. See ya.

I'm not a super big fan of heights... I've rappelled in basic training... But that was only 42 feet high...
    They are evolutions that I think are rare in real life, but just something you have to be proficient at. They work you up to it a bit, but really I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nobody enjoys going over the parapet wall the first time. Ya just clench your ******* and pray the knots are tied right. Then everything works out fine and you end up having fun.

It's no joke though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPZR-JDSfU (action really starts at 3:30)
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 06-07-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Not really thinking more like hoping ..I'm not near the 3000 or 6000 ... **** I hope you make it in the second to third class
    Psh I hope you're right my man, I guess we get a better idea of the ratio when open competitive guys start going through - more accurately in January when the class will be mostly OC.

What has the ratio been in the past for OC? Can anyone confirm if they did or did not ask for summons records for this exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They are evolutions that I think are rare in real life, but just something you have to be proficient at. They work you up to it a bit, but really I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nobody enjoys going over the parapet wall the first time. Ya just clench your ******* and pray the knots are tied right. Then everything works out fine and you end up having fun.

It's no joke though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLPZR-JDSfU (action really starts at 3:30)
    So awesome.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

Holy Mother of Christ that's intense!

Forum Member

That was awesome.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys, don't get hung up on heights. Very few people I know are completely comfortable at the top of an aerial or looking over a 7 story parapet, myself included. But I will say it's much different knowing you have a job to do as opposed to just standing there looking down. You'll be ok as long as you don't think too much into it. At the Rock, you are COMPLETELY safe and tied off to a belay line that will catch you if you do fall during your rope evolutions. So don't sweat it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I had my medical yesterday. Everything went well except the stepmill. I went over by 2 on the warm up section. So, I signed up to go back today and take again. Today, I was under the threshold on the 3 minute warm up by 30. I also made it under on the 5:12 with the vest, by 4 beats. Go figure. Doctor made a comment that I must have been pretty nervous yesterday. So, I guess those nerves can get you.

Some tidbits we were told:

- This was the last group to get medicaled for this round of hiring.

- Next round of medicals would likely start around September. At this time, there is a January class planned and the plan is still to hire 2 classes per year.

- Advised us to get rid of any social media, as the department is really cracking down if something stupid gets posted.

- Classes will be 26 weeks. That was a first. Has anyone else heard that?

- It's helpful if you bring along any documents you might have to show to the nurse and to the doctor, relating to anything major. It makes things go smoothly and makes the doctor happy.

- Keep on working with the stepmill after you pass, along with running.

- If you haven't heard from your investigator don't worry. No news is good news. You'll hear from them when they need you or when you are scheduled for a section of the hiring process.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    neal2578, HopefulFF and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    Not gonna lie I'm naturally afraid of heights too and there is no way in hell I'm gonna let that stop me from getting on this job. I don't think you will either man.
    Bro.. I'm in the same range as you.. Same score. We might be in the same class.

Forum Member

Hey great job. What range is your list number? Also for the next round of medicals, I am assuming this is the rest of PHS, EMS, and the rest of OC up to 733 or whatever they reached out to? Did they mention when the next set of interviewes would be? List number 16xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neal2578 View Post
    Hey great job. What range is your list number? Also for the next round of medicals, I am assuming this is the rest of PHS, EMS, and the rest of OC up to 733 or whatever they reached out to? Did they mention when the next set of interviewes would be? List number 16xx
    I'm 250 - 300 range. No solid date was given for the next round. My group was OC. The day before us they also did OC as well.

I'm not entirely sure, but it seemed like they had called all of the PH's for medicals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I had my medical yesterday. Everything went well except the stepmill. I went over by 2 on the warm up section. So, I signed up to go back today and take again. Today, I was under the threshold on the 3 minute warm up by 30. I also made it under on the 5:12 with the vest, by 4 beats. Go figure. Doctor made a comment that I must have been pretty nervous yesterday. So, I guess those nerves can get you.

Some tidbits we were told:

- This was the last group to get medicaled for this round of hiring.

- Next round of medicals would likely start around September. At this time, there is a January class planned and the plan is still to hire 2 classes per year.

- Advised us to get rid of any social media, as the department is really cracking down if something stupid gets posted.

- It's helpful if you bring along any documents you might have to show to the nurse and to the doctor, relating to anything major. It makes things go smoothly and makes the doctor happy.

- Keep on working with the stepmill after you pass, along with running.

- If you haven't heard from your investigator don't worry. No news is good news. You'll hear from them when they need you or when you are scheduled for a section of the hiring process.
    Hey man

Thank you for this information. Perfectly organized and INCREDIBLY helpful. Very much appreciated.

26 weeks? If I recall correctly this last class was only 18 weeks. MM is that correct? If that is true, we got a LONG road ahead of us brothers haha. Can't wait though! It's looking like January for myself with a list number in early 400's. More time to train!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Hey man

Thank you for this information. Perfectly organized and INCREDIBLY helpful. Very much appreciated.

26 weeks? If I recall correctly this last class was only 18 weeks. MM is that correct? If that is true, we got a LONG road ahead of us brothers haha. Can't wait though! It's looking like January for myself with a list number in early 400's. More time to train!
    You're welcome. It was 18 weeks and I had heard that all the classes would be that length, so I was wondering myself if that was a bit of misinformation.

Also, it was said that they really don't know how this class is going to break down for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Hey man

26 weeks would be redic...im down but those extra 8 weeks would take a toll on even a healthy young body

Forum Member

You're welcome. It was 18 weeks and I had heard that all the classes would be that length, so I was wondering myself if that was a bit of misinformation.

Also, it was said that they really don't know how this class is going to break down for a variety of reasons.
    Any mention of how many PHs going in this round?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    26 weeks would be redic...im down but those extra 8 weeks would take a toll on even a healthy young body
    Takes a toll on your mind, too. There were two or three classes that did the 26 weeks and it does suck. But it's worth it. I wonder why they'd go back to it after doing the 18 weeks for one class. Maybe it's to give the PH's the square kick in the pants they deserve. Hopefully it gets a few of them out. If they didn't have what it takes to study for a written test, they won't make it through 26 weeks of misery.

Forum Member

from what I heard since all the people in the first class are EMT they did not have to take some kind of course that everyone else would have to take. I believe it had to do with some type of medical training.

Forum Member

1. It's not that you HAVE to get rid of obvious social media, it's that that's the easiest advice. If you can refrain from being an idiot on social media then you should be alright, but for some people that concept is impossibly hard. If you do something stupid on social media and the job finds out you may get official punishment, or worse, the whole job may find a way to punish you. A guy from my class is learning all about that right now, but I'll let one of the other guys OTJ tell that story.

2. Hahahaha I heard this and mentioned here that I heard a rumor that it was going to be longer, but nobody wanted to believe that. Literally half a year, that's insane. Hope you guys like the change of seasons.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Thread Information