Like Tree11284Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Yes, I received the email. My investigator actually wanted me to forward her the email so that she can conduct her own research why the list didn't come out on June 5th. Great to hear that your paperwork is completed and a lot of PH are on their way to the academy. I can sense that this class is going to be crazy!! Anyway, stay fit physically and mentally and in due time, we will be firefighters!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update, ONE!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Combat medic 92 View Post
    Ohhhhhhh....he said yo momma whymetoo. Get ready for that and 10x worse when the guys at the house
    Find out you got an easy ride in. The academy's gonna be nothing compared to the *** whooping the PH's are gonna receive afterwards. And make no mistake, they'll know who you are.
    So now I'm going to get a *** whooping. Did someone tell you this or is this how you feel? Anyways I really don't care how you or any one in the firehouse feel about how I got the job. It's what I do onces I'm on the job that counts for me. So all this bs you guys talk about don't faze me at all. What ever happens I'm ready for it. It will not stop me from doing my job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    Ok thanks... When I am in the academy come July I will pm you some of my work so you can spell check it for me while you wait for them to call you. You have nothing better to say so you look for things to pick at. No English is not my first language I speak it well sorry if my grammar is not up to your standard.

Ps. Just a FYI all Ph will be getting paid top pay the start of the academy not After the academy. That's somthing else you guys can hate on.
    Congrats bro! You deserve it!
    Last edited by vekdoggs75; 06-10-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    Ok thanks... When I am in the academy come July I will pm you some of my work so you can spell check it for me while you wait for them to call you. You have nothing better to say so you look for things to pick at.

Ps. Just a FYI all Ph will be getting paid top pay the start of the academy not After the academy. That's somthing else you guys can hate on.
    Not really concerned with how much PH get paid.. I'm not even concerned about how much I get paid.

I'm not doing it for the money...I'd do it for free..

And that's great you will be in the academy in July.. How long did it take? 8-10 years?

And on a closing note.. I could care less about your grammar..or what you scored on a test..I just don't like people who come on here and brag about something they didn't work for..

Maybe you should be humble and greatful that you got the opportunity of a lifetime.. You found your golden ticket..

And maybe you should show just a little bit of respect for the guys who should've have been hired off of 6019 but weren't..people who took the test prep classes.. Studied. Ate, slept, and breathed FDNY..but got shafted...

And you should most deff show some respect for the senior men in here who have been crawling down smoke filled hall ways and will be the ones responsible for keeping YOU alive..you know how people feel about the whole PH situation instead of proving the nay-Sayers wrong you come on here and poke the bear then you get butt hurt when someone doesn't bow down to you...

YOU and YOUR attitude is what gives these PHs who maybe are taking this seriously, and who will be good, or great FFs a bad name. 1 bad apple ruins the bunch, but why would you care about someone else? That's not what this job is about.. That's not what you're opportunity is about...right? It's about making more money.. Having seniority..getting benifits..and cutting off men and women of any race just so as long as you get what you're entitled to.. Right?

Forum Member

Boy I have to tell you, I haven't been more disgusted with this thread than I am right now. This is specicifically for these two morons boasting about the entire ph situation. I hope you guys realize there are guys I know personally on this thread who joined a branch of the armed forces and ended up going and fighting for this country for the SOLE purpose of receiving 5 extra points on the firefighter exam because their only dream/goal in life was to become a NYC Firefighter, these guys are now in position to get hired and will eventually be hired. These guys EARNED their way on, you guys did earn jack. One other thing, you guys seem to have a sense of pride about being a PH, you come on an internet forum boasting about top pay and how you have priority when it comes to hiring over everybody else, I just have one thing to say to you, I hope you have that same pride about being a PH when you walk through that firehouse door for the first time. You come on an internet forum acting like a hot shot but I can guarantee you won't be bragging about it in the kitchen.
    FDsouthbxNY and NYPDtoFD like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arbrnrgr View Post
    Boy I have to tell you, I haven't been more disgusted with this thread than I am right now. This is specicifically for these two morons boasting about the entire ph situation. I hope you guys realize there are guys I know personally on this thread who joined a branch of the armed forces and ended up going and fighting for this country for the SOLE purpose of receiving 5 extra points on the firefighter exam because their only dream/goal in life was to become a NYC Firefighter, these guys are now in position to get hired and will eventually be hired. These guys EARNED their way on, you guys did earn jack. One other thing, you guys seem to have a sense of pride about being a PH, you come on an internet forum boasting about top pay and how you have priority when it comes to hiring over everybody else, I just have one thing to say to you, I hope you have that same pride about being a PH when you walk through that firehouse door for the first time. You come on an internet forum acting like a hot shot but I can guarantee you won't be bragging about it in the kitchen.
    Bro.. They will be bragging at the FH while the senior men do the dishes.. If the FH doesn't recognize their seniority someone will complain..

::rolls eyes::

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arbrnrgr View Post
    Bro.. They will be bragging at the FH while the senior men do the dishes.. If the FH doesn't recognize their seniority someone will complain..they have 10 years seniority, they can't do the dishes or mop, their place is in the bunk room or the TV room relaxing.

::rolls eyes::

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Not really concerned with how much PH get paid.. I'm not even concerned about how much I get paid.

I'm not doing it for the money...I'd do it for free..

And that's great you will be in the academy in July.. How long did it take? 8-10 years?

And on a closing note.. I could care less about your grammar..or what you scored on a test..I just don't like people who come on here and brag about something they didn't work for..

Maybe you should be humble and greatful that you got the opportunity of a lifetime.. You found your golden ticket..

And maybe you should show just a little bit of respect for the guys who should've have been hired off of 6019 but weren't..people who took the test prep classes.. Studied. Ate, slept, and breathed FDNY..but got shafted...

And you should most deff show some respect for the senior men in here who have been crawling down smoke filled hall ways and will be the ones responsible for keeping YOU alive..you know how people feel about the whole PH situation instead of proving the nay-Sayers wrong you come on here and poke the bear then you get butt hurt when someone doesn't bow down to you...

YOU and YOUR attitude is what gives these PHs who maybe are taking this seriously, and who will be good, or great FFs a bad name. 1 bad apple ruins the bunch, but why would you care about someone else? That's not what this job is about.. That's not what you're opportunity is about...right? It's about making more money.. Having seniority..getting benifits..and cutting off men and women of any race just so as long as you get what you're entitled to.. Right?
    Its some of you guys on this board that have the problem. I have respect for the fireman that's on the job. The one's that's been doing this while I was at home sleep. I have nothing but respect for them this is not a easy job. But I will not sit on a public board and be bash because I'm a Ph. Bash me once i get in the academy and don't make the cut. It's so funny to me that you'll ask for information about Ph but once the information is giving you'll get upset aboutit. If you can't handle it then don't ask. I was tell what I was told it was not trying to put it in any one's face. If that how you took it thats on you.

I'm not taking this job for the money. This is somthing I want to do. You also talk about giving other Ph a bad name. Almost every one up here already had their minds made up about the PH. Almost every one up on this board have bash the ph. I'm Not trying to change anyone mind about PH think what every you want to think about me. I will prove my self every time.

99% of the guys up here would jump at the chance if they were giving it and would not turn it down. Don't be mad because I'm not Turing it down.

The gym is calling my name i have to go.
    Last edited by Whymetoo; 06-10-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Forum Member

It always has been pretty tough to figure out what's going to happen with ratios and all that. There are many variables that go into it.

Don't get too high or low with anything you see posted here (or actually hear). Just this week, I've heard so many different things. One guy with in the top 50 on the OC saying his investigator said he's a long shot; another 100-150 range saying his investigator says he's got a good chance: a member of the BHS staff saying people in the 250-300 range have a shot; there's been many numbers tossed around in regards to the PH's and the EMS promotions. That's just the surface. There is really no concrete information coming out of anywhere. I'm inclined to believe that very few people actually know what's going on and what exactly the number are like. The information seems to vary between investigators. Nothing is certain until it actually happens. Or in other words 'Don't count the chicken until it's hatched'

The best thing to do is to keep working forward. Stay ready, stay prepared, stay clean and generally just do the best you can. Worry about what's within your control, take care of those things, that's all you can do. One day at a time.

As far as what's posted here, take what seems useful or benefical and consider it. If it isn't, forget about it. If something isn't beneficial, there is no point in wasting emotion or time on it.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-10-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    How long are you guys resting periods between workouts? I usually take off weekends but for the pass month I pretty much been working out everyday. While doing this I injured both shoulders and right knee. To make it even worse, I got five stitches in my right palm last week. I decided to take two weeks off, which helped a lot for my shoulders and knee but I feel tried, lazy, and just not motivated to workout. Anyway, today would be my first day back into my workout routine but I am dreading the sore body, and the feeling of starting over again to regain my strength, stamina, and endurance.
    I usually train Monday thru Saturday, 7-10 sessions per week. Sunday is rest, but I usually go for a walk on that day. I go by how I feel and If I'm feeling tired on a particular day, I scale back my training to moderately paced walk or slow to moderate pace on the step-mill.

I include swimming (usually 20-30 minutes) on my training days, it's usually not an all out effort and consider that active recovery.

Sleep is really, really important when your volume of training is high. I try to get 8-9 hours, but if you can't, I'd get at least 7 hours. Water intake is also very important, along with the quality of foods you eat.

There's a lot of information on how often you should train on the Internet. Maybe consult a trainer or someone like that for an opinion. See what you can find and try to figure out works best for you personally.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    I ran 2 races in may and for my 10k i ran a 7:26 and for the Brooklyn Half i ran a 8:35. A little disappointing on the half based off the 10k but all in all, pretty happy...
    8:35 for a pace for a half is impressive. I plan on running the half in SI in Oct. but for now I'm trying to get my 5k time under 20.
    NYgrad2012 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Don't fret guys. With the whole case going to a new judge these PHs stand to lose everything but the job itself. He can overturn the backpay, retro pay, the seniority, all of it. Who knows what will happen but it at least puts some hope in me that the right thing can still happen.

As far as this PHs come before everyone, I know for a fact that is not true as well as the top pay in the academy. Not gonna happen. Even in the past when cops and sanitation kept their pay they still got paid the standard academy rate and didnt get the upgrade until they were out. The city is not gonna pay these guys based on a 80,000ish salary to go through the academy which they know most will probably not make it through.
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

That investigator, like many others, sounds like he/she has no idea

Forum Member

anyone else having a prob with their jobs/personal references getting their letters? I talked to my investigator and was told that the job verifications went out in end of April and none have received yet. When tried asking again was told that they will find out whats going on but not having any luck with getting a response to my emails I have sent pertaining to this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    8:35 for a pace for a half is impressive. I plan on running the half in SI in Oct. but for now I'm trying to get my 5k time under 20.
    Oh sweet. I was thinking about going for the SI half as well. As time approaches, i'm sure we can potentially meet up. Goodluck with your 5K goals. It's all mental...
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    anyone else having a prob with their jobs/personal references getting their letters? I talked to my investigator and was told that the job verifications went out in end of April and none have received yet. When tried asking again was told that they will find out whats going on but not having any luck with getting a response to my emails I have sent pertaining to this.
    I am confused here, why are some candidates employers having references letter sent out to them, and others only personal references?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I usually train Monday thru Saturday, 7-10 sessions per week. Sunday is rest, but I usually go for a walk on that day. I go by how I feel and If I'm feeling tired on a particular day, I scale back my training to moderately paced walk or slow to moderate pace on the step-mill.

I include swimming (usually 20-30 minutes) on my training days, it's usually not an all out effort and consider that active recovery.

Sleep is really, really important when your volume of training is high. I try to get 8-9 hours, but if you can't, I'd get at least 7 hours. Water intake is also very important, along with the quality of foods you eat.

There's a lot of information on how often you should train on the Internet. Maybe consult a trainer or someone like that for an opinion. See what you can find and try to figure out works best for you personally.
    My main problem is sleep. I barely get six hours of that. I have school, fieldwork /internship for school, kids, working out, studying, etc. Sometimes it feels there arenít enough hours in the day. But, I guess you have to do what you have to do but do it the right way.

Forum Member

I am confused here, why are some candidates employers having references letter sent out to them, and others only personal references?
    I was under the impression that both were sent out for all candidates. I just know that none of either have received anything for me.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

My main problem is sleep. I barely get six hours of that. I have school, fieldwork /internship for school, kids, working out, studying, etc. Sometimes it feels there arenít enough hours in the day. But, I guess you have to do what you have to do but do it the right way.
    That's a lot to juggle. Maybe a one day on 'heavy', one day 'light' would work for you.

But, if you've been training hard and sleeping that little, that would definitely could bring on those aches.

Forum Member

Any motorcycles riders here. If so, do you guys plan on commuting to the academy on your bikes? I recall MM stating that a candidate was actually commuting via bicycles every day. That guy must be physically fit to use that from of transportation then endure the physical aspect of the academy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Don't fret guys. With the whole case going to a new judge these PHs stand to lose everything but the job itself. He can overturn the backpay, retro pay, the seniority, all of it. Who knows what will happen but it at least puts some hope in me that the right thing can still happen.

As far as this PHs come before everyone, I know for a fact that is not true as well as the top pay in the academy. Not gonna happen. Even in the past when cops and sanitation kept their pay they still got paid the standard academy rate and didnt get the upgrade until they were out. The city is not gonna pay these guys based on a 80,000ish salary to go through the academy which they know most will probably not make it through.
    I was just giving information. As far as the top pay that's in the court order. (Finally, the City will pay priority hire claimants their retroactively higher salary and provide them with retroactive seniority on the date of their admission to the Fire Academy.) But you are right anything can happen they can take everything away. I'm ok with that as long as I get to still do the job.

Forum Member

Any motorcycles riders here. If so, do you guys plan on commuting to the academy on your bikes? I recall MM stating that a candidate was actually commuting via bicycles every day. That guy must be physically fit to use that from of transportation then endure the physical aspect of the academy.
    I ride but I probably won't be riding to the rock. Remember that you have a lot of gear you have to bring each day with you. When I was training at the rock for the CPAT I used to see the guys leaving with army sized duffle bags . Assuming its turnout gear .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    I ride but I probably won't be riding to the rock. Remember that you have a lot of gear you have to bring each day with you. When I was training at the rock for the CPAT I used to see the guys leaving with army sized duffle bags . Assuming its turnout gear .
    I hope that is not the case with the amount of gear we have to commute with. I will no longer have access too my vehicle since my wife will take on the responsibility of taking and picking up the kids from school. So, I will have no choice but to utilize the motorcycle because I refuse to wake up at 3-4 am every day to get to work.

Forum Member

I hope that is not the case with the amount of gear we have to commute with. I will no longer have access too my vehicle since my wife will take on the responsibility of taking and picking up the kids from school. So, I will have no choice but to utilize the motorcycle because I refuse to wake up at 3-4 am every day to get to work.
    I usually don't address any of this nonsense but you need to stop the entitled attitude. I live over 50 miles away from the Rock and I will be HAPPY to wake up at 3-4am everyday to make it over an hour early each day for probie school. You keep stating you want to do this job, but do you realize the regimen these guys keep? One hour early (at least) is considered on time. This is not your normal 9-5 where walking in at 8:59 is okay. I would love to take mass transit instead of sit in traffic but it's not an option. I'll suck it up and drive for 18-26 weeks because I don't expect the FDNY to contact the MTA to arrange mass transit for my convenience. You cater to the job, not vice versa. It takes sacrifice.
    FDsouthbxNY and Mtk123 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    I usually don't address any of this nonsense but you need to stop the entitled attitude. I live over 50 miles away from the Rock and I will be HAPPY to wake up at 3-4am everyday to make it over an hour early each day for probie school. You keep stating you want to do this job, but do you realize the regimen these guys keep? One hour early (at least) is considered on time. This is not your normal 9-5 where walking in at 8:59 is okay. I would love to take mass transit instead of sit in traffic but it's not an option. I'll suck it up and drive for 18-26 weeks because I don't expect the FDNY to contact the MTA to arrange mass transit for my convenience. You cater to the job, not vice versa. It takes sacrifice.
    Calm down, relax, breathe. There are somethings I say that you guys can attack me for, but this, come on. Yeah, I get it, this situation is fu---- up, but don't become another TEL poster. If you do, don't attack me for trivial things like this.
    Last edited by almostthere; 06-10-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Thread Information