Like Tree10561Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    The "m." in front of the url means that its the mobile version of the site, so he probably sent this from an iphone or whatever. Just take out the "m."
    Yea your right buddy sorry guys all I did was looked up the vids and then Copy and paste it here from my Ihoe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I overlooked it too man. On the very top of the main tutorial page, you see a link to a pdf. It is a like a 60+ page booklet that has all of the stuff on the main page that you can print, plus more video practice and a bunch of links to general reading comp sites and math sites. They provide you with training guides for the three videos I mention. If you refer to page 31, it instructs you type the exact name of the videos into youtube so you can take notes on said training guides and answer the questions that follow. Here is the pdf I'm talking about:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/media/v...t_complete.pdf
    thanks a lot, really appreciate it

Forum Member

No problem bro...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Yea your right buddy sorry guys all I did was looked up the vids and then Copy and paste it here from my Ihoe.
    Maybe I'm just slow but even taking the 'm' out I still can't get it to work. What is the title to the video and maybe I can search it that way.

Forum Member

Session A it's called zombie apocalypse it's an old style video.
    Session A video two is tonight's sky February 2012

Session B first video is 16 inch gun training film
    Session B video two is home nuggetizer.

All films should be played for a duration of 2 to 3 mins.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UqEhUm2B_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNWNmWYIg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmOQs0ziSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MSOgLC4k_8

Skav - Let me know if these are the right videos, please?

Forum Member

Anyone read the pdf that was at the top of the website? It recomends not taking any notes the first time you watch the video, and then taking a lot of notes the 2nd and 3rd time...anyone practicing like that??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Anyone read the pdf that was at the top of the website? It recomends not taking any notes the first time you watch the video, and then taking a lot of notes the 2nd and 3rd time...anyone practicing like that??
    They said that at the Vulcan meeting as well. I tried it that method with the CPR on an infant video and I really didn't really care for it. The next video I try I will take notes on all three viewings and see how I feel

Forum Member

MM, yeah like Tom said they recommended it at the Vulcan class. I guess it is really just personal preference and whatever you are used to. If that is how you always did it throughout your school career you will prob. do fine. I always felt that I miss out on what is being said if I am taking notes. For me, I would rather listen the first time, just to get a feel for the material and and figure out the important points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UqEhUm2B_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNWNmWYIg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmOQs0ziSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MSOgLC4k_8

Skav - Let me know if these are the right videos, please?

Yup you got it buddy

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup you got it buddy
    Thanks man.

Forum Member

where is the answer key to the reding comp about the bees?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    where is the answer key to the reding comp about the bees?
    1.) a
    2.)b
    3.) a
    4.) b
    5.) c
    6.) b
    7.) b
    8.) d

Forum Member

This is all old news to most of us and doesnt actually mean anything new since we know the city is appealing and that process will take a while.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/08/us/new...html?hpt=us_c2

Just interesting that our situation is just now hitting the national media after years of this BS. The article doesnt exactly stick up for or even mention the 6019'rs that have been screwed for the last 5 years, is light on actual facts to back up the judge, and is a little misinformed, but there it is. Until the city wins this appeal we are all underdogs at the chance of EVER getting hired. Get behind Meritt Matters and get informed or people like the Vulcans and Judge Garaufis WILL steal this job from you.

This isnt an opening for door greeter at Walmart, racial based quotas that bypass better qualified candidates will result in people dying from incompetence in the future.

99% of the people out there will not have all the fact about our situation and the half *****ed CNN article is the closest many of them will come to hearing anything about this. WE, cannot afford to not follow and fight for this every single day.

Good luck studying guys and gals, stay focused. Sorry for the rant, just hate seeing the situation with the FDNY misrepresented especially by a major media outlet.

Forum Member

Deleted by author:
    Last edited by prospectff; 03-09-2012 at 01:00 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

So after looking at some older articles online (some over a year old), I see the 293 minority quota in a bunch of them. But my understanding as of a few months ago was that there was not gonna be a quota instated. I'm wondering if these articles are just lumping the quota issue with the retro-pay issue? Anyone have any insight? Either way it's ridiculous.
    Last edited by MFES; 03-09-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    Skavenger85, Is the Lesson Plan A packet the same as Lesson Plan B packet?

Also I would like to play devils advocate for a minute.
    "River6019" what proof do you have that backs your statement that racial based quotas will endanger others lives? Wont these 293 individuals still go through The Rock and have to pass practical exams to become a firefighter? I look at it like this if you need help filling out a 1 page application that ask basic information like your name and address then when it comes time to fill out the background packet your going to be S.O.L. its that simple. I hope that when this is all said and done we see more discussion about ending affirmative action Is It Time to End Affirmative Action? I apologize if this may be going off topic a bit.
    It's different as far as the videos go that's it. Everything else is the same.

Guys and gals lets stay focused on the task at hand. The 6019 list is dead until and if the city wins the appeal. But with all the money being tossed around I doubt that they will go back to the old list. I'm sorry guys but forget the 6019 list for now just stay focused on this exam. I do wish all of you and I mean all of you best of luck and study like your life depends on it. You want this job? Come and get it!!

Forum Member

The topic of discussion at work today was:
    If we make it through the process, what will be waiting on the other side?
    With all thats going on how will the candidates of exam 2000/2500 be viewed in the eyes of guys/gals already otj. Its bad enough that we'll be the new probys, assigned to do the most unwanted task (which i will do with a smile!) Will there be even more pressure to prove ourselves since we took an "easier" exam than everyone else? Honestly the entrance exam doesnt make the firefighter. We still have to get through The Rock. Those instructors are'nt lowering standards, if anything they might make it that much more difficult. I know probys take crap and i understand we have to pay our dues but im expecting extra crap...loads of it.
    Will consistent hardwork be enough or will we always have a dark cloud over us for being "one of those guys/gals."

Forum Member

Two new articles that i thought were interesting:
    This article written released 2 days ago from Village Voice has some interesting numbers in it. Apparently The odds of getting hired from this test are less than one in a hundred, even for the most dedicated candidatehttp://www.villagevoice.com/2012-03-...-firefighters/

The next is an article from the Wall Street Journal released yesterday. The interesting thing about this one is that it says The FDNY does not expect to begin hiring new firefighters until March of next year. Can anyone confirm this?http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
    Last edited by Rush2000; 03-09-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Thanks for finding that!

Forum Member

i just did the watch the first time and not take notes then take notes the second and third time and it worked better for me. than if i took notes all three times so i guess its just all about what is the best. personally

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2000 View Post
    The topic of discussion at work today was:
    If we make it through the process, what will be waiting on the other side?
    With all thats going on how will the candidates of exam 2000/2500 be viewed in the eyes of guys/gals already otj. Its bad enough that we'll be the new probys, assigned to do the most unwanted task (which i will do with a smile!) Will there be even more pressure to prove ourselves since we took an "easier" exam than everyone else? Honestly the entrance exam doesnt make the firefighter. We still have to get through The Rock. Those instructors are'nt lowering standards, if anything they might make it that much more difficult. I know probys take crap and i understand we have to pay our dues but im expecting extra crap...loads of it.
    Will consistent hardwork be enough or will we always have a dark cloud over us for being "one of those guys/gals."
    The exam for 6019 can not be harder than this exam - from what I've seen on here and in the tutorial this test looks to be much more difficult than that one. From what alot of my friends say on the job, they're looking forward to having fresh blood in the firehouse as long as it's done the right way. i can't say the same thing if Washington's wet dream of having 300 guys/gals from the '99 and '02 exams get allowed to bypass everyone for the next class. I don't care what color those folks are, but remember the minimum score for compensation in this case was a 25!

Forum Member

Who here has the exam on the 15th of this month? And when you take your exam are you gonna tell us if the test was difficult or not? I'm just anxious to know how hard is this test gonna be.

Forum Member

Who here has the exam on the 15th of this month? And when you take your exam are you gonna tell us if the test was difficult or not? I'm just anxious to know how hard is this test gonna be.
    Mine is on the 17th, next saturday.

I doubt the test will be that hard. 60% of the test is video based. Just pay attention, take good notes and you'll be fine. The other section is reading comprehension. Read every question WORD FOR WORD, and at least 2 to 3 times. You may skim through the question and assume it's asking one thing when something as simple as an extra word can throw the whole question on its head. Pay attention to modifiers, such as least likely, and the primary reason, etc.

I'm doing the Examnet tutorials, have my second session this Sunday. They do a great job in breaking down the test, and by giving you lots of advice and test taking tips, especially advice on how to answer the personality agree/disagree questions, which I think will be the one section of the test where it will trip alot of people up. Stay consistent, don't take yourself too seriously.

I will definitely post on the forum my feelings on the exam, without divulging any specific questions obviously.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Mine is on the 17th, next saturday.

I doubt the test will be that hard. 60% of the test is video based. Just pay attention, take good notes and you'll be fine. The other section is reading comprehension. Read every question WORD FOR WORD, and at least 2 to 3 times. You may skim through the question and assume it's asking one thing when something as simple as an extra word can throw the whole question on its head. Pay attention to modifiers, such as least likely, and the primary reason, etc.

I'm doing the Examnet tutorials, have my second session this Sunday. They do a great job in breaking down the test, and by giving you lots of advice and test taking tips, especially advice on how to answer the personality agree/disagree questions, which I think will be the one section of the test where it will trip alot of people up. Stay consistent, don't take yourself too seriously.

I will definitely post on the forum my feelings on the exam, without divulging any specific questions obviously.
    The only thing that worries me is the math section of the test and maybe some of the info ordering. Which I triped up a little bit on the Vulcan prep book. But then again they had a few errors on some of the questions so I don't know if there was any errors in the info ordering section. I couldn't distinguish the order in some of those questions. Can anyone tell me if there was errors made in this section that knows for sure?

Thread Information