Like Tree11262Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    This is not about money or seniority. This is about every time a ph write something on this forum someone have something to say. Every time soneone don't agree with your point a view you are ready to bash them. I don't think you are going to last with your attitude. I hope you are not that type of person who will lost their job because of somthing you write or say. At the end of the day it not worth it. Use that hate you have for the ph to work harder to get the job not lose it. Like someone up here said anything can happen we can lose everything even the job with the 2 court ruling. You talk about MM but he on the job already. You are not so why not take your own advice and respect him. I know I was giving a second chance and I don't take it for granted.
    I have you on ignore but I'm pretty glad I got curious enough to check your post, because there's two things you need to know:

1. I'm on the job and have been five years longer than MM; this was established something like 150 pages ago, but I forgot that I wasn't dealing with someone who could pass the simple reading comprehension section of the exam.

2. Your pidgin English and grammar skills and apparent inability to comprehend what you're reading go a long way towards explaining the fact that you were unable to score high enough on the exam to get on in the first place. You're doing nothing more by continuing to post than supporting the argument that you were too stupid and unmotivated to study hard the first time around.

OK, back to ignoring you.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by arbrnrgr View Post
    Wow, just WOW!!! Hey gentlemen we are all grown ups here, can we start by using proper english sentences?
    His grasp on the English language is breathtaking, isn't it?

Forum Member

How is everyone doing on their cardio?

Forum Member

Ran a 5:50 mile this morning, then ran a slow mile immediately after at about an 8:00 minute pace, followed by 5- 1/4 mi repeats, 5 - 1:00 minute sprints with 30 second rest between efforts and 5 hill sprints.

Probably a 3 mile tomorrow followed by the stepmill or some hills.

How about you? What have you been up to?

Forum Member

If anyone is interested I can post my cardio workouts. My dad is a track coach and he has me doing interval training to bring down my mile times. Just so you guys know(couple weeks ago) I was doing 2.5 miles in 20mins and hurting. Today I did 2.5 in 19 and was feeling just fine.
    vekdoggs75 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    If anyone is interested I can post my cardio workouts. My dad is a track coach and he has me doing interval training to bring down my mile times. Just so you guys know(couple weeks ago) I was doing 2.5 miles in 20mins and hurting. Today I did 2.5 in 19 and was feeling just fine.

I'd definitely be interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Ran a 5:50 mile this morning, then ran a slow mile immediately after at about an 8:00 minute pace, followed by 5- 1/4 mi repeats, 5 - 1:00 minute sprints with 30 second rest between efforts and 5 hill sprints.

Probably a 3 mile tomorrow followed by the stepmill or some hills.

How about you? What have you been up to?
    Its really embarrassing for me, how slow I am saying I use to do 3 miles in under 18.

**** IT! Ill just post my workouts for everyone

I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min) *I will be adding step-mill in the upcoming week.

Please note: 400m is one lap on most tracks

Day 1)800m warm up
    eight 400m at 90seconds (rest 2:30)
    800m cool down

2) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout

3) 2.5 miles(easy). six 50m strides *my father described strides as 80% of ur spirit.* Rest on strides is walk back to start

4) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout

5) 4000m or 2.5 miles in 18:59 finished twenty minutes of running so 4200m in 19:57 (This is a 7:40 pace)

6) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout

7) 1200m warm up
    twelve 200m in 40s (rest 1:45)
    1200m cool down

I can continue to post my workouts as my father gives them to me, if you guys are interested if not, Ill just STFU lol...

Forum Member

its really embarrassing for me, how slow i am saying i use to do 3 miles in under 18.

**** it! Ill just post my workouts for everyone

i hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min) *i will be adding step-mill in the upcoming week.

day 1)800m warm up
    800m cool down

3) 2.5 miles(easy). Six 50m strides *my father described strides as 80% of ur spirit.* rest on strides is walk back to start

5) 4000m or 2.5 miles in 18:59 finished twenty minutes of running so 4200m in 19:57 (this is a 7:40 pace)

7) 1200m warm up
    1200m cool down

i can continue to post my workouts as my father gives them to me, if you guys are interested if not, ill just stfu lol...
    that would be awesome. Any help would be appreciated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Don't blame MM for being on the promo list. He didnt break any rules or sue the city, he played by the same rules as everyone that took the test. Everyone that's not within reach on this list and really wants to be a ff should apply for ems and serve the city for years just for a chance at the acdemey
    Don't get me wrong i'm not blaming MM or anyone on ems promo list. That is an opportunity open for everyone to take advantage of, and the ones who go on that way are smart for guaranteeing themselves a route around the OC test. I just don't think being ems should get you crack at a job before all vets, legacy, and people who ace the test. But it does, and that's life, and I am wasting my time typing this right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    Don't get me wrong i'm not blaming MM or anyone on ems promo list. That is an opportunity open for everyone to take advantage of, and the ones who go on that way are smart for guaranteeing themselves a route around the OC test. I just don't think being ems should get you crack at a job before all vets, legacy, and people who ace the test. But it does, and that's life, and I am wasting my time typing this right now.
    EMS are FDNY employees. Like I said before, they've served the Department under less than favorable circumstance while being paid a fraction of what one would need to rent a studio apartment in NYC. They deserve first crack and that's why they get it. While I'm a combat vet and was never in EMS, I accept and agree with them being hired first. Never did understand the stigma attached to being hired off the promotional list.

Forum Member

What's up guys? Talking about cardio training. Anybody out there struggling with the 1.5mile time? I've been running consistently since January and have made major improvements in my times and distance. Just doesnt come easy for me at all. Any tips for a bigger guy, 6'2" 220lb guy who isn't a natural runner? For what it's worth, I can Deadlift and squat plenty, not that matters with this...lol

Forum Member

Its really embarrassing for me, how slow I am saying I use to do 3 miles in under 18.

I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min) *I will be adding step-mill in the upcoming week.

Day 1)800m warm up
    800m cool down

3) 2.5 miles(easy). six 50m strides *my father described strides as 80% of ur spirit.* Rest on strides is walk back to start

5) 4000m or 2.5 miles in 18:59 finished twenty minutes of running so 4200m in 19:57 (This is a 7:40 pace)

7) 1200m warm up
    1200m cool down

I can continue to post my workouts as my father gives them to me, if you guys are interested if not, Ill just STFU lol...
    Thanks for sharing that man. Looks awesome! Must be pretty sweet having your Pop be a track coach!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    EMS are FDNY employees. Like I said before, they've served the Department under less than favorable circumstance while being paid a fraction of what one would need to rent a studio apartment in NYC. They deserve first crack and that's why they get it. While I'm a combat vet and was never in EMS, I accept and agree with them being hired first. Never did understand the stigma attached to being hired off the promotional list.
    I knew a guy who is a LT for FDNY ems..he told me some pretty rough stories...and I knew another guy who worked for Maimonides hospital(sp?)

I tried doing ride alongs on a bus after I got my EMT.. Couldn't do it..stopped after I saw a naked 60 year old 90 pound cancer patient...

EMS gets my respect..some people don't know what a crew goes through in a major urban area.. Sleeping in the bus, non-stop runs, up and down multiple flights of stairs with a obese PT...for peanuts..

Forum Member

2 questions for you MM:

1. You mentioned early and late shifts. What are the 2 shifts? Would it be split by squad? Just thinking about carpool arrangements and wondering if it's best to carpool with someone in your squad due to this switch back and forth from early to late shift.

2. The remedial PT and extra hands on work. Is that built into the day, or is that something you stay after the normal day to be a part of?

Forum Member

Same here I'd definitely be interested. Just got back from 2 mile run/25 minute swim/2 mile run. If you can get to a pool I highly recommend this. It kicks your *** pretty good.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Day 1)800m warm up
    800m cool down

7) 1200m warm up
    1200m cool down

What does your upper body workout consist of?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire ant View Post
    What's up guys? Talking about cardio training. Anybody out there struggling with the 1.5mile time? I've been running consistently since January and have made major improvements in my times and distance. Just doesnt come easy for me at all. Any tips for a bigger guy, 6'2" 220lb guy who isn't a natural runner? For what it's worth, I can Deadlift and squat plenty, not that matters with this...lol
    That WILL matter in time so try to maintain it. As for the run, just try to run double the 1.5 at about an 8 minute mile pace. If you can do that, the 1.5 mile will be no problem for you. And this comes from a bigger guy who runs like a crack addict with broken legs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    anyone else having a prob with their jobs/personal references getting their letters? I talked to my investigator and was told that the job verifications went out in end of April and none have received yet. When tried asking again was told that they will find out whats going on but not having any luck with getting a response to my emails I have sent pertaining to this.
    I'm having the same problem, and my list number is right around yours. Although my investigator told me it wouldn't have an effect on getting in the July class. I think it's possibly due to the circumstances of this odd grouping of candidates with ph's and Promo guys as well. Its throwing off the whole process that's why none of us can get any answers. RCFD31 if you want, pm me and we can talk about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Veterans, at least to start with.

Cool. And how many squad leaders are there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    up and down multiple flights of stairs with a obese PT
    actually they call us for this most of the time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by athomas44 View Post
    I'm having the same problem, and my list number is right around yours. Although my investigator told me it wouldn't have an effect on getting in the July class. I think it's possibly due to the circumstances of this odd grouping of candidates with ph's and Promo guys as well. Its throwing off the whole process that's why none of us can get any answers. RCFD31 if you want, pm me and we can talk about it.
    I have a list number lower than both of you and my contacts still haven't received anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I have a list number lower than both of you and my contacts still haven't received anything.
    I'm in the same boat. I've been reading this forum for a while now and scratch my head when I see people saying that their references got their paperwork, they've talked to their investigator or got some news. I've passed everything on my first go around and have nothing in my paperwork that would delay me getting in, yet if my life depended on it, I could not get in contact with my investigator. And if by some grace of god I did, I would get told they'll get back to me later (which doesn't happen). Is this normal? I don't mind it if that's the case, I'm patient, but if I'm the only case then I'm worried.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 106
    List: 1**

Forum Member

I wish the media was forced to interview him on TV every time they discussed the lawsuit.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    I can't change your opinion, but I think the root of the problem has to do with whatever the department's desires are on the matter combined with state civil service law.

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    2 questions for you MM:

1. You mentioned early and late shifts. What are the 2 shifts? Would it be split by squad? Just thinking about carpool arrangements and wondering if it's best to carpool with someone in your squad due to this switch back and forth from early to late shift.

2. The remedial PT and extra hands on work. Is that built into the day, or is that something you stay after the normal day to be a part of?
    Don't try and figure out carpools right now, it's too soon. Remedial and extra work are extra, as the names kind of imply.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire ant View Post
    Just keep running. Shoot for doing a 1.5 as fast as possible on some days, and a 5k-5m at a moderate pace on other days. Longer distances at a moderate pace will make the 1.5 easier, but if you're anywhere near the bare minimum (13 minutes) then adrenaline will also carry you through the day. Still just keep on running, since the 1.5 is only the beginning, there's a lot of running ahead of you if you make it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    actually they call us for this most of the time
    Hah, I can only speak for myself but that wasn't something I did too often, though I don't know how prevalent it was for other crews. Gotta say though the sitting in the bus really does a number on your back. I'm not entirely sure how I avoided permanent injury considering how often I was in pain for the last year or so in EMS.

Forum Member

What's up fellas had a Long weekend at the race track with the motorcycle, just finished caching up with 5 pages !!!! Any idea when they going to reach list number 13000 ?

Thread Information