Like Tree9504Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for MM if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...Ps4 and Xbox One are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?
    I'm sure MM would agree, but from what I've heard your day will consist of; Waking up, eating breakfast, getting to the rock EARLY, going home (sitting in traffic), Eating, studying and bed time. I don't even see there being time for any gaming but maybe MM knows better. The person I knew who went through this last academy did nothing but breath, eat, study and sleep through his duration at the fire academy (minus the weekends). I'm prepared to be a complete no body for 26 weeks and as much as I love to game, I will probably put it to the side. But again like I said, I'm sure MM has a better outlook on this.

Forum Member

So you are Brooklyn bravest, but were you born in Brooklyn? There isn't room for two of us on this board. Just jk
    vekdoggs75 and Dannypanigale like this.

Forum Member

MM, I'm a prior enlisted combat medic so I've mastered the ability to keep my head down and nose clean unless the orders gonna kill me or my people. So hopefully that will suit me well going in but believe me, I know a good opportunity when it comes my way. I'm looking forward to my time in ems however short it may be because I know when to be grateful for something. And I know just how much better fire will be, I don't need any ****ty situation to show it. Ems cannot be worse than the sand box. I couldn't be more excited to start the whole process. And to everyone else, the wait may be long but remember where we all came from and think of all the doors this is going to open. Work hard, play hard, and if you want it you better ****ing train hard. Good luck guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiderneck30 View Post
    i know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for mm if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...ps4 and xbox one are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?
    are you f$&%ing serious right now bro, do all of us a favor who have really want this career and stay home and huddled in your moms basement playing dungeons and dragons and do not continue the testing process

Forum Member

So where are we at on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    So where are we at on the list?
    If I recall... I think 600 or so did CPAT and high 200s low 300s did psych and med.
    FDsouthbxNY and BrooklynBorn like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    They're going to take Vets first. If they have a lot of Vets, rank in your branch of service will matter. Considering that the top of the list is pretty chock full of Vets, that's the only group who'll be squad leaders.

Don't worry about it anyway, just do what they tell you to do.
    Yes sir, I was a Sgt in the Marine Corps. Just something to strive for. Got to make it in first.

Forum Member

2 quick questions:

1. I'm starting to have some elbow pain when doing pull ups, Im a bigger guy and I have never been good at pull ups so I do a few sets every time I'm in the gym.. Is it worth just laying off for a while? Wider grip?
    2. To you guys who swim, I'm at a YMCA that has a pool.. Do you guys do a particular workout.. Or do you just go in and swim?

Forum Member

Try closer grip chin ups for now so you can not lose your strength while you give it a rest, assuming that doesnt hurt your elbow.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Default for real!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for MM if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...Ps4 and Xbox One are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?
    Grow up! For real xbox and PlayStation !

Forum Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing video games, but if you get into the academy, 100% of your focus should be on the FDNY, I play too, but I know that if I make it in, I will want to be the best I can be and for me that involves fully submersing myself into the FDNY, 8.5 million people in this city expect that out of you. Like someone else said before, the games will always be there.

Forum Member

BigGriff relax on the pullups for about a week. You're probably developing some inflammation. If the pain and discomfort is on the inside of your elbow it could be epicondylitis which is just some inflammation of the epicondyl tendon (golfers elbow) I get this a lot from high rep sets of pullups. Take it easy with the pullups and ice the elbow a couple times a day for 20 mins at a pop. Trust me. I have been overtraining like crazy the past month and I'm hurting. As an athlete the hardest thing to do sometimes is take a couple of days off. We feel like we're being lazy but in actuality we need rest and recovery as much as we need the workouts. How can our bodies rebuild and get stronger if we are constantly breaking them down??
    If you can do 4 pullups and you aren't looking to take home the fitness award, take a few days off from the pullup bar. You'll get back up there even stronger.
    I haven't had much to say on here in a couple weeks but when I read your post it hit close to home lol. Don't trash your elbows or knees you need them! I was doing a 100 pullups a day and then having trouble taking the stair chair off the door at work. No bueno! Couple days off, ice...good to go.

Happy trianing boys. Stay safe. Hope to see some of you in a few weeks! Yewwww!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    BigGriff relax on the pullups for about a week. You're probably developing some inflammation. If the pain and discomfort is on the inside of your elbow it could be epicondylitis which is just some inflammation of the epicondyl tendon (golfers elbow) I get this a lot from high rep sets of pullups. Take it easy with the pullups and ice the elbow a couple times a day for 20 mins at a pop. Trust me. I have been overtraining like crazy the past month and I'm hurting. As an athlete the hardest thing to do sometimes is take a couple of days off. We feel like we're being lazy but in actuality we need rest and recovery as much as we need the workouts. How can our bodies rebuild and get stronger if we are constantly breaking them down??
    If you can do 4 pullups and you aren't looking to take home the fitness award, take a few days off from the pullup bar. You'll get back up there even stronger.
    I haven't had much to say on here in a couple weeks but when I read your post it hit close to home lol. Don't trash your elbows or knees you need them! I was doing a 100 pullups a day and then having trouble taking the stair chair off the door at work. No bueno! Couple days off, ice...good to go.

Happy trianing boys. Stay safe. Hope to see some of you in a few weeks! Yewwww!
    Thanks bro.. Gonna take a week off..

Not looking to be fitness award level, but of all the facets of PT pull ups are my weakest..I don't want to get there and have to worry about doing pull ups.. And they make your back look good lol.

Enjoy your weekend

Forum Member

I love the over reactions. Guy asks a silly question about video games that amounts to "will I have time to blow off steam while in the academy?"

The answer is yes, however because we're all adults it's up to you to figure out how much time you need to dedicate to reading/studying when at home. Don't short change yourself on the studying, but everybody needs a little time to decompress.

fftank21: I'd say you have a reasonable chance of ending up as a squad leader with that background.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    On May 14th, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit reversed Eastern District Judge Nicholas Garaufis' finding that the FDNY engaged in intentional discrimination against blacks and Hispanics. Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP proudly filed a brief in opposition to these outlandish, highly offensive and divisive claims. They offered their services pro-bono for an FDNY advocacy group, Merit Matters, and over 11,000 people who signed the petition maintained on the S&G website.
    Is there any way to donate to MM? I don't see a link on their page.

Forum Member

I hate to be negative but the way things are looking getting to list 8500 is not going to happen. I know wait and all that but they aren't firing through the list like we all hoped for. Any thoughts?

Forum Member

If you're in the 7xxx, 8xxx, join ems. I was thinking the same thing. If 104s can't even finish the full process before july the list might not go as far as expected.Its extremely early in the game but i would start planning other options if i were in that 75xx and higher area

Forum Member

I still think they will pass 8500 on the list

They are probably going to have 8-10 classes on this list after the July class

8 classes @320 per class times 1:3 ratio = 7680
    I would also expect the ratio to grow after each class

Pleas correct me if I am wrong but I believe the first class of 6019 had a higher ratio then 1:3

That being said I would still be making alternative plans even if I had a list number pencilled I'm for the second class

Forum Member

I think you guys are underestimating how deep the list will go..

We're still dealing with Promos, PH, etc. something like only 1/3 of this class or less was OC. Once the PH goes and the Promos go here in the next 2 classes or so, the list will open up 4 or 5 to 1... People losing intrest, people finding employment elsewhere, other issues, etc. wait until the numbers of the Jan class or better yet the July 14 class for a true gauge of how fast the OC is going....

But EMS is the route to go.

Forum Member

you guys are depressing me with these list projections. I was hoping for them to make it way past my list number. Do we even know yet how far they made it down?
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    you guys are depressing me with these list projections. I was hoping for them to make it way past my list number. Do we even know yet how far they made it down?
    I'm pretty sure you're safe bro..I think 7000+ are the ones who have to worry.

Forum Member

Guys, there is no way to judge how deep the list will grow. You didn't take the test that long ago. This process is a marathon, not a sprint. Relax and watch what happens with the first few classes. They haven't hired one single person from the OC yet and you're getting down about your prospects?! Give yourselves a break!
    vekdoggs75 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.

Forum Member

Hey guys I hope all is well. I don't mean to come in and stir the pot but after speaking with a few guys with list numbers under 100 it sounds like the information they're getting is very few or maybe no OC guys will be hired for this upcoming class. A guy I know who's list number is in the top 50 was told January by his investigator. I'm interested to hear what some of you guys who may be "in the know" are hearing. As always, thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

It's always good to remember that no one knows ****. Personally I think the latest rumor about no OC guys in this upcoming class is nonsense but I don't know **** either. I just have a whole bunch of numbers plugged into my head like everyone else. Time will tell. Just a few weeks in fact.
    Happy Fathers Day

Forum Member

Unfortunately it's my anniversary, that supersedes my Father's Day. LOL
    But happy Father's Day to all, and enjoy!

Thread Information