Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 462 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 362412452459460461462463464465472512562962 ... LastLast
Results 9,221 to 9,240 of 23929
Like Tree9374Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Again, I'm not bashing guys who sign up for this; if the job's pushing it you gotta do what you gotta do. But I think this whole thing is a step further down this whole EEO "everybody can do this job no weeding people out" thing that's been going on as of late.
    I'm with you in principal, I think the mentor ship program amounts to hand holding, but it can be a helpful thing in preparing guys for firehouse life. There are no phone call reminders, it's just someone to call with questions. If the program allows us to make someone understand that the firehouse is a tough place and you need a thick skin, maybe the wrong people will choose to leave and the right ones will be in a better mindset and not cause trouble later because the misunderstand the firehouse culture.

If you're given the opportunity to get some free advice, take it.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I'm with you in principal, I think the mentor ship program amounts to hand holding, but it can be a helpful thing in preparing guys for firehouse life. There are no phone call reminders, it's just someone to call with questions. If the program allows us to make someone understand that the firehouse is a tough place and you need a thick skin, maybe the wrong people will choose to leave and the right ones will be in a better mindset and not cause trouble later because the misunderstand the firehouse culture.

If you're given the opportunity to get some free advice, take it.
    Like I said before, if it's just an outlet for info and advice I'm all for it. I still don't get the assigning of a fireman to the individual candidate or see the need for it. What I had heard about it was it was a human alarm clock to make sure people were out of bed and where they were supposed to be on time. I am inclined to think it's going to turn into just that but we'll see.

I agree with you in general, but I don't think these mentors have been given the latitude to tell candidates anything except how the firehouse is an all inclusive place of cultural sensitivity and understanding. Obviously the brass at recruitment won't know what's being said at the meetings, and I'm sure the guys doing the mentoring will do the right thing, but are they hanging their a**es on the line if things go wrong for the candidate and he/she claims it's because of something the mentor told them?

When I got on, I had dozens of questions and concerns. I came on here and asked and I went to my local house with a cake and talked with the brothers there and got the answers I was looking for. The job being inclined to assign someone to make sure you know everything without having to lift a finger or problem solve on your own seems a bit much to me and kind of flies in the face of what we're about. But, again, I don't think the guys participating will be bad guys because of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Yea he doesn't want to pay the OT but he is and this will only pay out more.

Again I don't need a hand to hold but if it puts more money in their pockets than fine.
    No, it's not fine. This job is not all about money. Trading off instilling a sense of purpose in guys who want to come on the job for OT isn't right. The city put this in place to make sure they get people they want on the job. Guys getting OT because of it is the only positive I see. Use it because it's available to you if you want, but don't think you're doing anybody any favors.

Forum Member

Hey guys!, congrats to all who have an opportunity. I didn't pass my second medical, I only did six minutes and 11 S. can anyone tell do I get another chance a the stairs? Thanks Guys..
    marc3071 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unity View Post
    Hey guys!, congrats to all who have an opportunity. I didn't pass my second medical, I only did six minutes and 11 S. can anyone tell do I get another chance a the stairs? Thanks Guys..
    6 min and 11 sec and what happened? I don't think you get another shot. How many chances do you want?!

Forum Member

How come they stopped you before the 8-Min mark?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dem7191 View Post
    How come they stopped you before the 8-Min mark?
    He probably stopped, or they saw something with his HR that worried them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    He probably stopped, or they saw something with his HR that worried them.
    Damn! Usually if you're a little over the first time they tell you to come back; the second time they just monitor for fatigue and cadence no?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dem7191 View Post
    Damn! Usually if you're a little over the first time they tell you to come back; the second time they just monitor for fatigue and cadence no?
    Yes, but my guess he probably stopped, not sure though. Hey, he gave it shot, and I wish him luck with his future. I don't know what happens next.
    Maybe someone else with get the opportunity......
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-06-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member

I'm going to assume a department doctor was evaluating your progress and stopped you because they didn't like whatever they saw. You only get one do over.

Forum Member

NoThis job is not all about money.
    I never said this, take it easy.

What I said was like you said, guys getting OT is the only benefit to this.

And I will never turn down advice from someone on the job even if they are only a day on. So this is only beneficial to someone who will use the mentor program in the right manner.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's a full minute over what was required. I'm assuming you were over and they were looking to see if you could keep going. Sorry to hear it, but you needed to find 2 more minutes or so and you would've been good. I don't think you get another shot nor do I believe you should. Try again next test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I never said this, take it easy.

What I said was like you said, guys getting OT is the only benefit to this.

And I will never turn down advice from someone on the job even if they are only a day on. So this is only beneficial to someone who will use the mentor program in the right manner.
    I must not be making myself clear here so I'm going to reiterate that I don't fault you, the candidates or the mentors. I simply don't like that the city is taking this process out of the hands of the guys in the houses you will go to in an effort to shape the job to their politically correct liking. That's what I think this program is geared towards doing. I fully believe you and the other good guys on here are going to take some good info away from this, and I'm glad there will be extra money in the brothers' pockets, but I respectfully disagree with the city officials who started it in the first place. That's all I'm saying. If it sounded like I'm bashing you guys for participating, I honestly apologize. That wasn't my intent.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

I was at cpat training today, and heard there is a height/weight standard. I'm not too worried about it, but does anyone know what those numbers are? I hadn't heard of this before, just curious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    I was at cpat training today, and heard there is a height/weight standard. I'm not too worried about it, but does anyone know what those numbers are? I hadn't heard of this before, just curious.
    Maybe they are talking about depending on your weight, you need to be a certain height, or vise versa. Someone will fill us in.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Maybe they are talking about depending on your weight, you need to be a certain height, or vise versa. Someone will fill us in.....
    Yea, I'm thinking it's like in the military, if you're this tall, you must weigh under this weight. I hadn't heard the fdny using this, and couldn't find it published on the web... Just wondering.

Forum Member

Im not going to be able to meet up with my mentor because they scheduled the meeting the same day that i have yo go in for my medical...i wonder if not being able to meet him is going to affect me in a bad way...maybe them thinking that im a ****** bag for not appearing and putting in a bad word for my name around the houses..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    Yea, I'm thinking it's like in the military, if you're this tall, you must weigh under this weight. I hadn't heard the fdny using this, and couldn't find it published on the web... Just wondering.
    That's absolutely true. If you are judged overweight according to their charts you will be put on medical hold until you lose the weight. It's nowhere near as stringent as what the military requires, but there is a weight requirement based on height.

Forum Member

That's absolutely true. If you are judged overweight according to their charts you will be put on medical hold until you lose the weight. It's nowhere near as stringent as what the military requires, but there is a weight requirement based on height.
    Good to know, thanks again. I'm 6'1" and 218. Do you know if I would pass or fail at that weight for that height?
    I'm not slim but def not a fatty either. I'm able to handle a good deal of pt thanks to my time in the military. I worked with some animals for about 5 years, and keeping up with them has paid off.

Forum Member

had to do some digging but I found a post from bam in the 6019 thread about the height/weight requirements. I'm not sure how strict they are, like if this says 205 and you're 206 do they tell you to come back or not.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t97154-614/#post1164429 (Fdny List 6019)

Thread Information