Like Tree10457Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    What? The city is going through with a remedy given by everybody's favorite federal judge. Complying with Federal Court is not the same as being hypocritical. Also that same federal judge was the person who required that candidates disclose their race.

Get your facts right.
    Yeah, and the fact that you have to disclose your race is ridiculous.

What about what I read before about the hiring ration of 3:2 of Priority Hires to OC, what happened to that?
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    The July class will have a total of 125 black , 68 Latino from the Ph list. They are not allowed to place more then that amount into the class.
    All left over PH will be in the January class. PH list ends and January.
    That seems really high. I think about 450 "passed" the exam? To think about half of the PHs passed all the steps seems really unlikely since its usually more like 25% even at the top of OC lists. Either these numbers are way off or people were told to push them through. Then again all that money is a pretty good motivating factor.

Honestly this whole business has me really disenfranchised that this could even happen in our country. I wonder if Norway needs firefighters.
    vekdoggs75 and BrooklynBorn like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post

What about what I read before about the hiring ration of 3:2 of Priority Hires to OC, what happened to that?
    Yeah, I'm surprised by this as well. However, I guess the rumors about the city not wanting to start the clock on the O.C. list is more accurate than previously expected. STILL, everything is a rumor until letters to report to The Rock are out. Keep that in mind.

Forum Member

Ridiculous or not the problem is with who you are trying to assign blame to. As a dutiful union employee I'm not the biggest fan of the City of New York, however the city shouldn't catch the blame for Garaufis's radical ideas. They do plenty of terrible things, but deserve at least some credit for when they're actually on the right side of a fight.

The way I interpreted the priority hire thing is that the city was required to hire up to 293, and was told they could mix them in with OC candidates at a ratio of 3:2. I don't think they are required to hire using that ratio. If (IF!! BIG IF) the rumors are true that they aren't going to touch the OC for the next class then it would appear that they would rather burn through as many EMS/PH candidates as possible and get those over with before getting to you guys. If (again big IF) that's true and it's true that the life of #2000 doesn't start until when they actually hire someone off of 2000 then doing it this way is honestly better for people on 2000 who are near the end of the hirable range.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Forum Member

The court order never stated the hiring ration with the OC list. It stated any one hired into the fdny. So I'm guessing that mean the ems too.

At the meeting it was said that it will not be 128 black in that july class. 128 was the number that they were allowed to hire into the July class of black candidate.
    Last edited by Fdnyman; 06-20-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Forum Member

I don't think any black candidates will be in the January class unless they defer. It will be a handful of Latino left on the list for January class. The only way a person can defer is for a medical reason and they are not guaranteed a spot for that January class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    I don't think any black candidates will be in the January class unless they defer. It will be a handful of Latino left on the list for January class. The only way a person can defer is for a medical reason and they are not guaranteed a spot for that January class.
    Thanks for the info. I have a feeling there might be more than a few black candidates from the OC list who would beg to differ about none of them being in the January class though. Haha, just bustin your balls though, I know what you mean.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

I hope the amount of PH's and EMS who recycle themselves to January doesn't effect the hiring off of the OC too much. I'm nervous of not making January...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I hope the amount of PH's and EMS who recycle themselves to January doesn't effect the hiring off of the OC too much. I'm nervous of not making January...
    I feel you! I'm very low 300's, and now with all this going on...I'm not feeling super confident for January anymore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    I feel you! I'm very low 300's, and now with all this going on...I'm not feeling super confident for January anymore.
    cmon im high 8XX and i thought i was a lock for jan. Now ......
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min) *I will be adding step-mill in the upcoming week.

Please note: 400m is one lap on most tracks

Day (1)800m warm up
    eight 400m at 90seconds (rest 2:30)
    800m cool down
    (2) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (3) 2.5 miles(easy). six 50m strides *my father described strides as 80% of ur spirit.* Rest on strides is walk back to start
    (4) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (5) 4000m or 2.5 miles in 18:59 finished twenty minutes of running so 4200m in 19:57 (This is a 7:40 pace)
    (6) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (7) 1200m warm up
    twelve 200m in 40s (rest 1:45)
    1200m cool down
    (8)2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (9) This is called ladders
    Warm up 3 laps
    200m 40s rest 2min
    400m 90s rest 2:30min
    800m 3:20 rest 3min
    800m 3:20 rest 3min
    400m 90s rest 2:30min
    200m 40s rest 2min
    Cool down 2 laps
    (10)2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (11) 20 mins of running at 7:20min mile pace. 2.5 miles in 18:19(on target) 2.75miles 20:08(on target)
    *Stairmill - Week 1
    (12)2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (13)800m warm up
    ten 400m at 90seconds (rest 2:30)
    800m cool down
    *Stairmill - week 1
    Last edited by coldblood92; 06-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    HopefulFF and CableGuy516 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    cmon im high 8XX and i thought i was a lock for jan. Now ......
    I mean, I think him and I are just pretty let down from July. When I was going to CPAT at the rock I was told if you're under list number 500, you've got a good shot for July and now look at the situation... So I'm just not trying to get my hopes up again. I pray that they call all list numbers under 1200 but as we all know nothing in this department is definite until you're getting sworn in. Just planning accordingly, ya know?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I mean, I think him and I are just pretty let down from July. When I was going to CPAT at the rock I was told if you're under list number 500, you've got a good shot for July and now look at the situation... So I'm just not trying to get my hopes up again. I pray that they call all list numbers under 1200 but as we all know nothing in this department is definite until you're getting sworn in. Just planning accordingly, ya know?
    Trying to get your hopes up is probably the last thing you should during this process. Keep yourself on an even keel as much as you can. Take it from someone who's been trying to get on for a decade, it's absolute torture.

Forum Member

The court document I'll post below pertains to the priority hiring. It states the following:

293 candidates priority candidates to be hired, broken down into 186 black and 107 Hispanic candidates.

It's to be broken down further as follows: 2 of every 5 should be black candidates (hiring at this ratio until 186 black candidates are hired) And 1 of every 5 should be Hispanic (until 107 hispanic candidates are hired). That of course adds up to the 3:5 and 293 total hires required by the court.

The numbers posted here earlier stating 125 black candidates and 68 Hispanic candidates are to be hired would appear to indicate the city is following the directions of the court order to the letter. Meaning, if you do the math for a class 320 using the 2:5 and 1:5, the totals would be 125 and 68, totaling 193, appears to be the correct proportions for a class of 320.

It also states:

All priority hire candidates must undergo the same selection process as all other firefighter candidates, including: passing exam 2000, the CPAT, the background, the psychological, the medical exam and although the document doesn't mention it, the run.

So, in light of this and the other information, you can conclude that there will be 100 spots for the priority hire list in January (broken down further: 61 black candidates and 39 Hispanic candidates.) That would leave approx 220 spots for the open competitive and promotional candidates (should there be any left).

I think it remains that until you get that letter in the mail, the invitation to the run, it's better to not get too excited. All you can do is to keep working, keep moving forward and keep the hope they'll get to you eventually.

The waiting is terrible, but time ahead is just opportunity to be physically and mentally ready. Ready to go and perform at one's best when given the opportunity to attend the premiere fire training academy in the world. I think it was Michelangelo that said that the danger is not in aiming too high and missing, but by aiming too low and reaching it.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/10/fdny.pdf
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-20-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Forum Member

good info Minerva, thanks.

The way this is shaking out I'd bet they get that full 293, with 100 more in 1/14.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good info Minerva, thanks.

The way this is shaking out I'd bet they get that full 293, with 100 more in 1/14.
    If there is in fact a January class, they'll be in it. But until that class starts, I won't believe it.

I remember getting the news they were cutting the January 2009 class in half. And then axed it totally. I also remember them saying they would get to us eventually. Well, you know the story with that one.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-21-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    If there is in fact a January class, they'll be in it. But until that class starts, I won't believe it.

I remember getting the news they were cutting the January 2009 class in half. And then axed it totally. I also remember them saying they would get to us eventually. Well, you know the
    I hear you. That's probably the safest way to approach our whole situation.

What I'd love to know is why they processed medicals up to 300 on OC less than a month ago if this was how they were going.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post

I remember getting the news they were cutting the January 2009 class in half. And then axed it totally. I also remember them saying they would get to us eventually. Well, you know the
    Ohhh yeah I remember that one

Forum Member

just wondering if i missed something, but I understand there are more priority hires going into this class then we first thought, but where is everyone getting this info or feeling that 100 more priority hires will be in the january class as well? Like I said maybe I missed something, but it seems the rumors are just growing more and more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    just wondering if i missed something, but I understand there are more priority hires going into this class then we first thought, but where is everyone getting this info or feeling that 100 more priority hires will be in the january class as well? Like I said maybe I missed something, but it seems the rumors are just growing more and more.
    if they put in 193 PHs in this class, then at most they could put in 100 more in January to satisfy the courts requirements.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    if they put in 193 PHs in this class, then at most they could put in 100 more in January to satisfy the courts requirements.
    oh ok so your not saying that they ARE putting in another 100 in January, just that 100 is the most they would be able to put it.

Thanks for the reply, I was just getting more and more worked up and blown away as Ive been reading these past few days. It seems like the situation keeps getting worse every post I read lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Kinda shocking that the justice dept and Obama are literally bribing cities to drop disparate impact cases before the supreme court can vote on them. Makes me feel a little stupid for voting for him haha.
    I don't fully understand whats going on. So is it going to the supreme court or not? I used to think people were picking on Obama and he was very fair, now I really want him out of office.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    oh ok so your not saying that they ARE putting in another 100 in January, just that 100 is the most they would be able to put it.

Thanks for the reply, I was just getting more and more worked up and blown away as Ive been reading these past few days. It seems like the situation keeps getting worse every post I read lol
    I'm sure there WILL be 100 more going in...

Forum Member

Not to mention the EMS that didn't make the first class. They will be able to recycle themselves into the January class if need be. I pray it's not as many as the first class because otherwise That only leaves about 190 spots left for OC.

Math:

320 for a full class

100 PH candidates left = 220 spots left.

30 EMS could be recycled from July 2013 = 190 spots left. (hopefully not that many recycle...)

190 spots to fill at the 1:3 ratio = 570
    1:4 ratio = 760
    1:5 ratio = 950

Considering it's the top of the list I would bank on the 1:3 or 1:4 hiring ratio. Of course these numbers could fluctuate depending on how many PH's they hire and how many EMS actually recycle etc. But just throwing some numbers out there that seem realistic.

Forum Member

In the January class?

Thread Information