Forum Member

Anyone else not get this email? I am starting to get concerned haha
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm gonna print it and sell the copies. LOL

Forum Member

The orientation:

-keep your mouth shut. And eyes open

- if we don't trust you we will make sure you don't graduate..

I love no nonsense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Not being a smartass in any way, but what's up with everyone running in tubesocks?
    As someone said, compression socks and all the benefits they bring is one part. Another is the fact that you wear your PT greys underneath bunker gear. The boots you wear during the academy are rubber and will chafe your calves if you don't have something covering your skin. There also isn't a lot of time to change between activities so... you end up with guys wearing long socks all the time.

I was going to actually address that when the next class was preparing to go in, but you beat me to it.

PS: Don't print the manual out. They will provide you paper copies when it's time, and in the mean time there's nothing so important as to waste 1000 pages of paper and ink. Just read it and start to familiarize yourself with the different topics.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys. I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow in several years. I don't have medical history with any doctor because I have been very healthy my entire life and I have never been seriously ill or had any type of surgery. In my doctors appointment tomorrow what should I ask the doctor to examine me for so I could know where I stand in terms of health for when I get my shot at the FDNY medical exam. Thank you.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 06-27-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Forum Member

If its a full physical, your blood work will tell you a lot. If the doctor finds a problem, you can guarantee the FDNY will find the same thing, and they will make a bigger deal about it. As far as your joints, back, and other parts of your body, only you know if they ache or don't feel right, you would have to mention it to your doctor.

Forum Member

I will be coming back into the city for a week from Afghanistan to take care of a few things before I have to come back over here. I am wanting to go speak to FDNYs medical staff about some questions I have on the medical exam. Where would I go to do that? Or a number I can get to set up an appt? Thanks for any help

Forum Member

The medical staff is in Brooklyn, but I don't know if you can just walk in and talk to them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    I will be coming back into the city for a week from Afghanistan to take care of a few things before I have to come back over here. I am wanting to go speak to FDNYs medical staff about some questions I have on the medical exam. Where would I go to do that? Or a number I can get to set up an appt? Thanks for any help
    Before you can even get into the building you usually have to show the police officer outside HQ proof that you are suppose to be there for an appt. i.e letter from FDNY with appt. date and time. Even when you get inside I do not know if you would be able to get upstairs to talk to DHS as they usually have a list of people who are suppose to be there for appts. So not saying that you will not be able to, but just giving you a heads that you may better off trying to call them. I will try to look for a number if I have it at work and post it for you.

Forum Member

Bureau of Health Services 718-999-1870

Forum Member

Greatly appreciated. I'll give it a shot. Worse case scenario they say no

Forum Member

Just to give you guys a heads up..i was called by my new investigator since my old one retired. He said that i needed to bring extra documents because i was being considered for the July academy. He also informed me that my dd-214 would only cover me for my veterans point and will not cover me for residency credit.
    HopefulFF and River6019 like this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

Forum Member

was your active duty dates on your dd-214 under the filing period?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
    was your active duty dates on your dd-214 under the filing period?
    Yes. My previous investigator had told me that i was entitled to the residency credit because i joined from NYC. I just finished speaking to my new investigator for the second time today and he told me that he needed to check my dd-214 again and that he would have to double check that i am entitled to the extra credit.
    Exam 2000
    List # 13X
    Score 106

Forum Member

You know how some of you guys are getting medical questions sorta answered? Is there a similar way to ask questions for the PD process. Like what prescriptions one can be hired on? thanks
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Yes. My previous investigator had told me that i was entitled to the residency credit because i joined from NYC. I just finished speaking to my new investigator for the second time today and he told me that he needed to check my dd-214 again and that he would have to double check that i am entitled to the extra credit.
    thanks for the info. let us know what he comes back with.

Forum Member

If I could get information or even in contact with my investigator I would be so happy, but, talking to her is about as easy as winning the lottery.
    rcfd31 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    You know how some of you guys are getting medical questions sorta answered? Is there a similar way to ask questions for the PD process. Like what prescriptions one can be hired on? thanks
    You can try calling the Applicant Processing Division. The number is listed on the PD website. Or you can just ask a random officer on the street. They would prob know and are usually down to answer a question

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (16)2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (17) (VERY HOT DAY, took it easy) 2mile fartlek style run. Ran the curves slow straights fast
    *Stairmill - week 2
    Last edited by coldblood92; 06-27-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    (16)2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (17) (VERY HOT DAY, took it easy) 2mile fartlek style run. Ran the curves slow straights fast
    *Stairmill - week 2
    Running can be very tricky when it entails running outside and on the treadmill. I am able to kick a.. on the treadmill, but when it comes to actually running outside, I just can't compete. Can you explain why it is harder to run outside compared to running on Treadmill?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    You can try calling the Applicant Processing Division. The number is listed on the PD website. Or you can just ask a random officer on the street. They would prob know and are usually down to answer a question
    This one is an unusual one, I doubt a random officer would know. I have asked my friends already. What you can be prescribed once your on, is different from what you can be hired on, in some circumstances.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Running can be very tricky when it entails running outside and on the treadmill. I am able to kick a.. on the treadmill, but when it comes to actually running outside, I just can't compete. Can you explain why it is harder to run outside compared to running on Treadmill?
    Because the ground isn't moving under you on its own.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

It's weird, I'm actually reverse, I run faster outside. I do notice aches are more evident when running outside because of the stress from running on the hard surface. I run longer on the treadmill because its easier on my legs.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 06-28-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This one is an unusual one, I doubt a random officer would know. I have asked my friends already. What you can be prescribed once your on, is different from what you can be hired on, in some circumstances.
    You can't be prescribed anything prior to getting in I.E. depression meds, ADHD meds etc, unless its something not pertaining to mental health for example blood pressure but even that would raise flags and you'd be places on review. You can ask a dude on the street preferably a young one who just went thru the process were more open to Street Q & A lol

Forum Member

Running on a treadmill you have much lower impact. That coupled with the fact that you aren't dodging cars, dog *&^%, or running up and down hills would all factor in to make your average mile outside harder than inside. Personally I cant stand running on a treadmill, after about 5 minutes I'm bored outta my skull.
    TomFromQueens likes this.
    List # 12XX

Thread Information