Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 469 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 369419459466467468469470471472479519569969 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,380 of 24122
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Their is a reason the Marine Corps is an elite military organization bc you can't see how we were trained. You can find certain films of Marines training, but they aren't accurate, I know this bc I was part of a NAT GEO documentary where we were told specifically what to do, not like we would really do, to conceal our "secrets" per say. And I feel the FDNY is the same way, most elite fire department out there and there's a lot of pride that goes with that. The way I look at it, if you want to see what Marine Corps boot camp is like, join the Marines...And if you want to see what the FDNY fire academy is like, join FDNY. Plain and simple. All of you will figure this out if you make it on the job and those that really want it will get the job.
    Last edited by ffkschrum; 04-11-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Forum Member

Are some of those guys wearing a lot of layers or are they not that lean? I ask out of curiosity and not judgment. I have about 20 pounds to lose myself so I am just curious and not being negative in anyway.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

It's been pretty chilly lately.. Well up until this last week.. So maybe that would explain it.. Height to weight ratio may be different.. I.e. maybe the dudes are like 6'3..

Then again, they may not know.. I didn't know or think that there was a weight requirement until I got turned down for a job in Philly..and then on this board for FDNY.. Hopefully their mentors told them or they may learn the hard way..

On a side note:

If you're looking to lose quick.. Go vegan.. A veggie burger has like 15g of protein for only 200 cals.. Add in a salad and its quite filling for next to no calories.

Forum Member

Also got my psych letter today, 5/18

Forum Member

Has everyone been wearing suits to their Psych?

Forum Member

No, casual dress, khakis and polo shirt. You don't have a interview or anything, all done in auditorium. Good luck....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    It's been pretty chilly lately.. Well up until this last week.. So maybe that would explain it.. Height to weight ratio may be different.. I.e. maybe the dudes are like 6'3..

Then again, they may not know.. I didn't know or think that there was a weight requirement until I got turned down for a job in Philly..and then on this board for FDNY.. Hopefully their mentors told them or they may learn the hard way..

On a side note:

If you're looking to lose quick.. Go vegan.. A veggie burger has like 15g of protein for only 200 cals.. Add in a salad and its quite filling for next to no calories.
    This is not a knock at you...But WTF is Americas obsession with protein. If you are eating a "whole foods" based diet it is nearly impossible to be protein deficient, without being calorie deficient. (for anyone thinking about going vegan)

I did it for 6 months. You have more energy, you recover faster after your workouts, you need less sleep. There is a reason more and more elite athletes are becoming vegans.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Are some of those guys wearing a lot of layers or are they not that lean? I ask out of curiosity and not judgment. I have about 20 pounds to lose myself so I am just curious and not being negative in anyway.
    Worry about being able to do the work not what you look like. As long as you can keep up and are within the very loose guidelines at medical, you're fine. There's guys on this job who look like butterballs who can take a flight of stairs in full gear before the meathead who spends all day in the gym gets off the rig.
    ffbam24 and HopefulFF like this.

Forum Member

Random question for somebody possibly in the know. I've been having some trouble sleeping lately due to the end of a very long relationship (I guess the reason actually doesn't really matter). If I got prescribed ambien by a doc, could that be a problem down the road at the medical. For what it's worth, I don't plan on getting multiple refills. Just this one time.

Forum Member

Try melatonin before a prescription.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnocKnoc View Post
    Try melatonin before a prescription.
    Have been bro. I still wake up at 3:30 am unable to fall back asleep.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Have been bro. I still wake up at 3:30 am unable to fall back asleep.
    Hit the gym hard and don't be too quick to seek a prescription. Try something like a unisom first. A couple of good nights of sleep may be all you need to reset yourself. You are human and these things happen. It'll pass. If it doesn't, then see a doctor. I don't think medical will have anything to say about it; plenty of people take prescription medication.
    KnocKnoc likes this.

Forum Member

Random question for somebody possibly in the know. I've been having some trouble sleeping lately due to the end of a very long relationship (I guess the reason actually doesn't really matter). If I got prescribed ambien by a doc, could that be a problem down the road at the medical. For what it's worth, I don't plan on getting multiple refills. Just this one time.
    Have some wine before you go sleep dude. Trust me I've been there, it works and it's safer/better than any pills.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I'll give you 3 hints: I was wearing red sweats, my department issued winter hat, and my firefighter gloves.
    Speaking of department issued, is there anything the department makes you pay for in terms of uniforms or equipment? I hate to ask, but I want to make sure I have some money in my bank account for these types of things (if any) if I make it in. I know PD makes you buy your own uniforms and equipment, which sets guys back a couple grand.

Forum Member

teufelhunden: thanks for the reply. I have been workin out hard, but I still wake up with my mind racing. I'll give that unisom stuff a try though.

mocon: I don't really love booze, and wine even less so. That also might be a bad habit to get into.

Forum Member

Try what mocon said, don't go crazy chugging the stuff, but one glass of wine before bed should help, it also isn't bad for you. As others are saying tho EVERYONE has been through it, it may seem like it'll never get back to normal but trust me it will. Everyone copes differently, i used reading and working out, try to pick sonething positive. Also she fu#!ed up, you're about to be on the best job in the world, plenty of tail will be thrown at you lol. Good luck
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

roadrunner09, I also used Yogi Bedtime tea it's called. It's easy to find in grocery stores. Two or three bags are usually what it takes to calm the nerves a bit.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

teufelhunden: thanks for the reply. I have been workin out hard, but I still wake up with my mind racing. I'll give that unisom stuff a try though.

mocon: I don't really love booze, and wine even less so. That also might be a bad habit to get into.
    promise yourself if you're wide awake at 330 in the morning, you're going for a run. You'll be surprised at how quickly you're sleeping through the night again lol.

But to be serious, forget about the medical exam, going straight to meds to cope with something isn't going to attack the real issue. Just let it run it's course, be patient and occupied with your training.

Forum Member

I think he's stressed about a breakup but that's good advice, a nice run would put me right to sleep lol

Forum Member

Thanks for the words, people. Nobody ever said life was easy. This wasn't just a year long thing with a girl. This is close to 7 yrs. And frankly, I can't believe I'm pouring my heart out to a bunch of strangers who will potentially be some of the biggest ball busters I know.
    River6019 and Dannypanigale like this.

Thread Information