Like Tree9885Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Can anybody who took the in person city tutorial by now comment on it? Do they literally just go over what is on the online one, like the person on the facebook page claims? I haven't received my call yet, and my window has just passed according to their chart. I am wondering what I am missing, if I don't get to attend.
    I went on Saturday. It's the exact same materials as what is online and they basically just read the PowerPoint slides verbatim. When they took questions at the end, I asked if they had any tips on the Background Survey portion and I just got the standard "be honest" response. JMO but if you've already done the online tutorial you're not gonna get anything out of it. It was actually kind of funny because I was talking to a guy before the tutorial started who said he was in the class of 100 that got cancelled and he actually got up and walked out about 10 minutes in when they started showing that damn Myonide video. Guess he realized it was gonna be a waste of time.

Forum Member

Wow, thanks for the reply man. Hmmmmm. I'm leaning towards not even trying to contact them about it. Did they show you all of the videos? Including the sink and toilet vids? I imagine so if they are scheduled for 3 hours.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the reply man. Hmmmmm. I'm leaning towards not even trying to contact them about it. Did they show you all of the videos? Including the sink and toilet vids? I imagine so if they are scheduled for 3 hours.
    They only show you Myonide and infant CPR. The sink and the toilet videos are considered homework. The class was scheduled for 9, didn't start until 9:30 and then ended around 11:30.

Forum Member

This actually doesn't surprise me. There is only so much the city is gonna do for us. But I was at least hoping for some more feedback on the personality/background portion, like you said. Especially because they more or less dropped the ball on that for 6019. Thanks again for responding.

Forum Member

I'm going to the tutorial tomorrow night at 8, at Norman High School on 33rd st. Will anyone else be there?

MembersZone Subscriber

For one: Don't take anything Washington has to say to heart.
    @zach - Yes. You are able to use your GI Bill for the academy. Someone from the VA will come along to give a schpeel and distribute paperwork.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    @zach - Yes. You are able to use your GI Bill for the academy. Someone from the VA will come along to give a schpeel and distribute paperwork.
    Thanks that'll help with bills.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Thanks that'll help with bills.

Forum Member

Default Impression Control Questions

Question for any of the guys who attended the Vulcan prep class. What did the instructors say is the best answer for the Impression Control questions (Ex: I am always happy) in the background portion? Did they say it's best to strongly disagree or just disagree? I know the Don McNea booklet says strongly disagree but I'm not so sure about that. Thanks and good luck to all taking it this week.

Forum Member

well im sure you're not always happy so I wouldnt put always happy lol

Forum Member

IIRC the Vulcans said to always answer those strongly disagree.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    IIRC the Vulcans said to always answer those strongly disagree.
    So, this?

I am always happy- STRONGLY DISAGREE

Forum Member

A bit of study advice, I know the Vulcans and the City say when it comes to the video portion to watch the first time and take notes the next two times but do what you feel more comfortable with. I tried the city/vulcan method for the CPR and tiled videos and I found it difficult. For the next two I took notes during all three viewings and found my notes to be much more thorough. As a matter of fact the toilet video I really didn't even need to reference my notes much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD1986 View Post
    Question for any of the guys who attended the Vulcan prep class. What did the instructors say is the best answer for the Impression Control questions (Ex: I am always happy) in the background portion? Did they say it's best to strongly disagree or just disagree? I know the Don McNea booklet says strongly disagree but I'm not so sure about that. Thanks and good luck to all taking it this week.

I went to the examnet tutorials, and they broke down what Strongly Agree/Disagree and Agree/Disagree mean exactly. Strongly Agree/Disagree means that 100% of the time you feel a certain way or do a certain thing (a rock solid, strong, firm stance). Just agree or disagree is a soft stance, meaning that generally speaking I disagree with it.

In reference to the statement "I am always happy", I would just say Disagree, it's a soft disagreement, meaning that you're not ALWAYS happy, but you're MOSTLY happy. They taught us to look at the statement to see if there are any modifiers. Example, ALWAYS, is a modifier. I am ALWAYS happy. Meaning 100% of the time you are happy. If you say STRONGLY DISAGREE, it could mean that, never mind that I'm not always happy, I'm generally unhappy.

In contrast, if the statement said I am GENERALLY happy, you would say STRONGLY AGREE. The word generally is a nice, soft, flexible modifier. AGREE is kind of like saying you're in between, 50/50. It's absolutely vital to look at the statement to see what kind of modifiers they throw in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    I went to the examnet tutorials, and they broke down what Strongly Agree/Disagree and Agree/Disagree mean exactly. Strongly Agree/Disagree means that 100% of the time you feel a certain way or do a certain thing (a rock solid, strong, firm stance). Just agree or disagree is a soft stance, meaning that generally speaking I disagree with it.

In reference to the statement "I am always happy", I would just say Disagree, it's a soft disagreement, meaning that you're not ALWAYS happy, but you're MOSTLY happy. They taught us to look at the statement to see if there are any modifiers. Example, ALWAYS, is a modifier. I am ALWAYS happy. Meaning 100% of the time you are happy. If you say STRONGLY DISAGREE, it could mean that, never mind that I'm not always happy, I'm generally unhappy.

In contrast, if the statement said I am GENERALLY happy, you would say STRONGLY AGREE. The word generally is a nice, soft, flexible modifier. AGREE is kind of like saying you're in between, 50/50. It's absolutely vital to look at the statement to see what kind of modifiers they throw in.
    Those are good points Angelo.
    I was originally siding with strongly disagree for those, b/c thats what everyone was saying.
    Now I really have no idea what to do...

Forum Member

STRONGLY agree/disagree = ALWAYS
    agree/disagree = MOSTLY
    not sure/unsure = NEVER PUT AS A CHOICE

use this as a reference guide

Forum Member

These questions are almost identical to what you see on the Psych exam. This is just utterly ridiculous how these are actually on the written exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    I was originally siding with strongly disagree for those, b/c thats what everyone was saying.
    I personally would take what the Vulcans taught you guys with a very large grain of salt.

I hate this section of the test. It's going to trip alot of people up. Basically they tell you to be honest, and consistent.

One piece of advice they gave was this:

DO NOT make yourself look like the perfect candidate.
    (example: I have NEVER told a little white lie)

If you put STRONGLY AGREE for this statement, a red flag will go up and the computer will throw that response out. They want you to be honest. Worst mistake is to try to sell yourself to the point where you are perfect. That will work against you.

Perfect response to this would be DISAGREE.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Yeah I hear ya.

Consider this example too:

"If salaries were equal, I'd rather be an accountant than a car salesman"

STRONGLY DISAGREE. They want to know if you'd rather work with people or by yourself. The FDNY you are ALWAYS dealing with people. You have to try to equate the statement with what the FDNY is looking for.

Forum Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

FDNY Exam Now Looking Costly to City

New York City could be forced to pay up to $128 million in damages in connection with a federal court's ruling that the Fire Department used an entrance exam that intentionally discriminated against black and Hispanic applicants, the judge in the case determined Thursday.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis of Brooklyn said the city's financial exposure could end up being "significantly" lower after claimants in the case, the thousands of minority applicants who were rejected by the FDNY, apply for back pay in the coming months.

But the judge lashed out at the city, saying it had "many opportunities to avoid financial liability of this magnitude" and that the judgment in the case reflects the "consequences of the city's decision to ignore clear violations of federal law."

Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo, the city's chief lawyer, said in a statement: "We believe the court's latest opinion is erroneous, and, in any event, is the first step in a lengthy process."

He added: "When all the proceedings have been completed, the damages, if any, that the city will have to pay will be far less than $128 million."

According to the court's ruling, 7,100 minority applicants sat for the two exams that the judge found discriminatory. The government estimates 2,200 of those applicants will ultimately be eligible for relief.

The latest development in the high-profile case, which has featured an acrimonious exchange of charges between the court and Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration, comes after the city demanded in January that Judge Garaufis be removed from the case, saying he had "lost any semblance of neutrality." The appeal accused the judge of taking on the roles of "witness and advocate."

Richard Levy, an attorney representing the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters and a plaintiff in the case, praised the judge's ruling as "appropriate." He described the dearth of minority firefighters as a "disgrace," calling the department the "last bastion of exclusive white employment."

Mr. Levy specifically criticized Mr. Bloomberg's handling of the litigation.

"The mayor has dealt with this in a very unbusinesslike fashion," he said.

"I can't image a case in the private sector with a responsible businessman at the helm of a corporation who wouldn't have sat down long ago to figure out the extent of his exposure and worked out a resolution that would have been sensible, that would have shortcut this litigation and gotten more blacks into the Fire Department," Mr. Levy said.

Stu Loeser, a spokesman for the mayor, did not return a request for comment.

According to the FDNY, the department is currently 89% white; 6% Hispanic; 3% black; and 1% Asian.

Under the court's supervision, the city has been working to create a new firefighter exam, and candidates are expected to begin taking the new test later this month.

In 2011, the city launched a grassroots effort to recruit minority applicants.

In total, 30,425 minority applicants have filed to take the test, representing 49.5% of the applicant pool.

Female FDNY applicants have also surged, with 3,481 filing to take the test. The department currently has about three-dozen female firefighters.

The FDNY does not expect to begin hiring new firefighters until March of next year. That means, as a result of the litigation against the department's hiring practices, the FDNY will have gone five years without a probationary firefighter class entering the academy.

At a City Council hearing Thursday, FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano said the delay in hiring has led to "soaring overtime."

In the current fiscal year, the department expects to spend $275 million on overtime, compared with $237 million the previous year.

Mr. Cassano told council members the department will face "significant challenges this summer," when it expects to be down 500 or more firefighters.

At the hearing, Council Member Peter Vallone, a Queens Democrat, mocked Judge Garaufis. "I couldn't agree with you more regarding Emperor Garaufis's ruling, I mean Judge Garaufis," Mr. Vallone told Mr. Cassano.

Mr. Vallone said "you can pretty much chalk up" the FDNY's financial problems to his "excellency's ridiculous ruling calling the FDNY racist. I read a report where the school system is overwhelmingly female—the teachers—I wonder if he's taking over that next."

Council Member Letitia James, a Brooklyn Democrat, called criticism of the judge "irresponsible."

The mayor's preliminary budget proposal for the fiscal year beginning July 1 calls again for the FDNY to shutter 20 fire companies, a proposal that council members have blocked in the past.

The commissioner disclosed Thursday that he expected the same fire companies that the department targeted for closure last year to be on the chopping block later this year.

"At the end of the day," said Ms. James, referring to the proposed fire company closings, "I know we'll do the right thing."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post

That was my biggest issue with answering Strongly Disagree for the "I'm Always" questions. Answering I strongly disagree for a question like "I'm always happy" makes it sound like the complete opposite, instead of always being happy I'm always ****ed off. I personally think disagree is the better answer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    That was my biggest issue with answering Strongly Disagree for the "I'm Always" questions. Answering I strongly disagree for a question like "I'm always happy" makes it sound like the complete opposite, instead of always being happy I'm always ****ed off. I personally think disagree is the better answer.
    Exactly, it really depends on what they're asking you.

I'm not sure how they grade each response, like if the best answer gives you full credit while the second best answer gives you partial credit.

Some other examples they gave:

1. "People are generally honest"
    2. "People are generally good"
    3. "Most people are honest and moral"
    4. "I never think unplesant or hurtful thoughts about another person"
    5. "I work best when others are not around me."

notice the words generally, most, never. those words will most likely determine whether you STRONGLY agree/disagree, or just agree/disagree

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Its funny how they are gonna do a written and psy exam at the same time. I guess the vid, reading comp, info ordering and math are not gonna be worth more points than the background survey questions.

Forum Member

in reguards to that article saying that the fdny isnt planning on putting a class in until march isnt that normal? i mean 6019 was given in january and that class didnt go in until the following year. so by the time everyone takes the test it will be pretty much end of april. then there is that protest period or whatever. iam i the only one not surprised by the expectation of march 2013....if ever

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    in reguards to that article saying that the fdny isnt planning on putting a class in until march isnt that normal? i mean 6019 was given in january and that class didnt go in until the following year. so by the time everyone takes the test it will be pretty much end of april. then there is that protest period or whatever. iam i the only one not surprised by the expectation of march 2013....if ever

Without knowing the source of that info it's tough to say but I was a little surprised to see March of 2013. When 6019 was given the city was using an active list, 2043 to hire off of. When 2000 is given there is no other list to use while this list is compiled. Also, 2000 is all computer based, they COULD give us our grade the second we finish the test (I know they won't). I'm sure this list will be scrutinized and have to get the OK from our favorite judge before it could be used. Maybe the article meant new FFs wouldn't hit the houses until March of 2013 (I doubt it, but maybe). That would make more sense to me then. Assuming that the list generated from this exam is actually used (big assumption I know) I was thinking there would be at least 1 class getting in sooner than 11 months after administering the test.

For the guys who took 6019, did you get any sort of list ranking when you got your raw score in the mail?
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 03-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Thread Information