Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 372422462469470471472473474475482522572972 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,440 of 20369
Like Tree7734Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #9421
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    I know I dont have to worry about that stuff but I just like to get as much information as possible. I know my friend said he did approx 700 hours of OT last year. I dont think thats a normal year because there'ss a lot of OT due to Sandy and the fact that they haven't hired in 4.5 years
    Like I said, don't worry about it. We got enough problems with how things get done being in the papers. This kind of stuff needs to stay in the firehouse. And either way, you aren't anywhere near the point where these kind of things make a difference to you. All you should be worrying about is fitness and attitude. Stick to info that pertains to that.
    ffbam24 likes this.


  2. #9422
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Fdsouthbx..pm box is full

  3. #9423
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Just curious. How many guys retire in a given year, or recently rather? Like is the projected ratio for hiring making up for or overshooting the number of guys leaving every year?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  4. #9424
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Just curious. How many guys retire in a given year, or recently rather? Like is the projected ratio for hiring making up for or overshooting the number of guys leaving every year?
    That's one of those things that fluctuates. Look, worrying about this kind of stuff will make you crazy. All of us have had the anxiety of waiting to hear when we'll get on; best I can tell you is focus on your life as it is right now. Keep up on what's going on, but don't hang on the every little piece of the hiring equation. I'll tell you the way one of my senior guys told me when he caught me glued to a scanner listening to a fire on the other side of the city: "relax, they'll call us if they need us". Just that simple.

  5. #9425
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Yea drive myself crazy enough haha. Theoretically being in hiring range but realistically anything being possible.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  6. #9426
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Fdsouthbx..pm box is full
    Not any more.

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Just curious. How many guys retire in a given year, or recently rather? Like is the projected ratio for hiring making up for or overshooting the number of guys leaving every year?
    The number of guys who are retirement eligible is small. That's not going to be as an issue. Don't worry about that.

  7. #9427
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    That's one of those things that fluctuates. Look, worrying about this kind of stuff will make you crazy. All of us have had the anxiety of waiting to hear when we'll get on; best I can tell you is focus on your life as it is right now. Keep up on what's going on, but don't hang on the every little piece of the hiring equation. I'll tell you the way one of my senior guys told me when he caught me glued to a scanner listening to a fire on the other side of the city: "relax, they'll call us if they need us". Just that simple.
    You should take that advice now too. This is a forum for information, not a firehouse.

  8. #9428
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    So I don't wanna over step my bounds with questions like this considering iam not on the job yet and it does not affect me but just out of curiosity how different is the pension system changed over the past 10 years until present?

  9. #9429
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You should take that advice now too. This is a forum for information, not a firehouse.
    Once again, and finally, you get no say in what goes on. Shut the fu*k up.

  10. #9430
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    So I don't wanna over step my bounds with questions like this considering iam not on the job yet and it does not affect me but just out of curiosity how different is the pension system changed over the past 10 years until present?
    This actually does affect you and is something you should look into. Check into the UFA website and search it will give you a rundown of what you do and don't get. Things have indeed changed.

  11. #9431
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Things have changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the major changes which greatly have an effect on anyone new coming in.

    1. No more going out 3/4's on injury only 1/2.

    2. No more widows and orphans benefits if you die on the job.

    3. OT no longer effects your retiring salary. It's based off your straight pay only.

    4. and its either 22.5 or 23.5 years for retirement.

    Somehow EMS kept all of those things though aside from retirement time. They've always been 25 years.

  12. #9432
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Things have changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the major changes which greatly have an effect on anyone new coming in.

    1. No more going out 3/4's on injury only 1/2.

    2. No more widows and orphans benefits if you die on the job.

    3. OT no longer effects your retiring salary. It's based off your straight pay only.

    4. and its either 22.5 or 23.5 years for retirement.

    Somehow EMS kept all of those things though aside from retirement time. They've always been 25 years.
    OT does effect your retiring salary but gets caped at 15 percent as far as determining your pension

  13. #9433
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Correct me if I'm wrong.. But is the widow/orphan fund like the SGLI payment in the army if you get killed?

    Or is it something totally different?

    Should I look into buying an extensive life insurance policy?

  14. #9434
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong.. But is the widow/orphan fund like the SGLI payment in the army if you get killed?

    Or is it something totally different?

    Should I look into buying an extensive life insurance policy?
    You'll be offered life insurance and its worth buying. What you really should do is put pressure on your elected officials to change this BS policy!

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You should take that advice now too. This is a forum for information, not a firehouse.
    A firehouse, as in that place you know nothing about because you're a candidate? Backlash against a guy who's here on his own time to share some information, is ridiculous. You don't like what he has to say? You don't like the way he says it? Tough shyte. You ask questions, you'll get answers and good ones at that. If this kind of thing bothers you here, the firehouse is gonna be a rough place.....any firehouse. The most junior guy on this job, right now, has 5 years on, almost at least. Until you have 5 years, no one wants to hear a word out of your mouth, that's just the way it is. This isn't a firehouse, but it's connected to this job, so you might as well get used to the attitude.

    Lets keep it simple, ask questions, get answers and you won't always like what you hear or how it's delivered. Period.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  15. #9435
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    A firehouse, as in that place you know nothing about because you're a candidate? Backlash against a guy who's here on his own time to share some information, is ridiculous. You don't like what he has to say? You don't like the way he says it? Tough shyte. You ask questions, you'll get answers and good ones at that. If this kind of thing bothers you here, the firehouse is gonna be a rough place.....any firehouse. The most junior guy on this job, right now, has 5 years on, almost at least. Until you have 5 years, no one wants to hear a word out of your mouth, that's just the way it is. This isn't a firehouse, but it's connected to this job, so you might as well get used to the attitude.

    Lets keep it simple, ask questions, get answers and you won't always like what you hear or how it's delivered. Period.
    I gotta say, and you know this from being on awhile, what the old timers were saying about the job going down the tube is actually starting to come true. I used to think it was because they just got so used to things the way they were as far as nobody messing with you between fires and wearing masks, but they were right. These punks wanting to come on are some of the most disrespectful know it all pieces of sh*t I've run on. I have years in the Marines, combat time and am almost 40. And I shut my mouth and took orders and abuse from a 23 year old kid because he had 2 years on because that's how things get done on this job. That a CANDIDATE would think they get to throw their weight around, give orders or attempt to influence a conversation about this job astounds me.

    FdnyFFhopeful and spiderneck: do this job and this city a favor: STAY OFF IT. Go be a cop or a garbageman if you want city pay; this job ain't for you.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  16. #9436
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    . These punks wanting to come on are some of the most disrespectful know it all pieces of sh*t I've run on. That a CANDIDATE would think they get to throw their weight around, give orders or attempt to influence a conversation about this job astounds me.
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that. With my wife and kids, I hardly get a word in at home anyways.....LOL
    BTW, if anyone calls their investigator, it seems like he knows where you stand in regards to the other tests. I called him to see if he needed anything, and he brought me up on his screen, and he told me that I was all set with my medical and psyc, just a heads up.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 04-14-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

  17. #9437
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that.
    It's not just the key; it's how you'll be judged. You bring nothing to a firehouse except your fitness level and attitude. You may have aced every class and evolution at the Rock, but you will still know NOTHING about firefighting. None of us did. That's why keeping quiet and listening to the every word and whim of the guys in your house is so big. And you will run into a guy who is going to break your balls over and over again about the tiniest details. It's not because we like being dic*s; it serves a purpose. You need to give up the I, me, my attitude you had to have as a civilian and start thinking in terms of we and us. That's how we stay alive. Nothing will get you in trouble quicker than the bullsh*t attitude that spiderneck and that ffhopeful guy have where they think they get a say in things. Which is why I'm trying to beat it out of them before that happens.

  18. #9438
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Please don't label everyone the same, most of us that are trying to get on, know how the pecking order works. Dream job for me and some, if the key is to shut up and listen in the firehouse, I'm good at that. With my wife and kids, I hardly get a word in at home anyways.....LOL
    BTW, if anyone calls their investigator, it seems like he knows where you stand in regards to the other tests. I called him to see if he needed anything, and he brought me up on his screen, and he told me that I was all set with my medical and psyc, just a heads up.
    Did you actually receive a letter for
    Your med?

  19. #9439
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    555

    Default

    It's funny that you say that, one of the LTs at the rock said that the guys in the firehouse messed with him by putting buckets of water in the doorway so he would get it everytime he walks in. He said it ****ed him off to no end, but then he realized that it served a purpose. It taught him to look up everytime he walked into a building, plus it made him bring extra clothes everyday. Lesson learned, look up, and come prepared LOL.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

  20. #9440
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Just finished one of those 5mile hr runs teufel, its so hard trying not to speed up. Its doing wonders for my hr though
    FFwnt2b likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 36 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 23 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. antmdog,
  3. bacon,
  4. cjr,
  5. dem7191,
  6. FDNYProspect,
  7. FFwnt2b,
  8. IFR,
  9. Jrd157,
  10. Jrod16,
  11. Mtk123,
  12. MuscleHamster,
  13. nyckftbl

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts