Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 473 of 1143 FirstFirst ... 373423463470471472473474475476483523573973 ... LastLast
Results 9,441 to 9,460 of 22857
Like Tree8982Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Just finished one of those 5mile hr runs teufel, its so hard trying not to speed up. Its doing wonders for my hr though
    I've been having similar success with that tip. I am regularly under my bpm now, no more dancing between pass/fail. It worked pretty quickly for me. I was usually a little under, right on the line or a little over. In the week or two I've been doing those runs and switching up my traininanthem diet) the bpm and my blood pressure actually came down. Thanks again T.

Forum Member

Just finished one of those 5mile hr runs teufel, its so hard trying not to speed up. Its doing wonders for my hr though
    What was the tip teufel, or whoever? Aiming under an hour for a 5 miler? I guess I missed this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    What was the tip teufel, or whoever? Aiming under an hour for a 5 miler? I guess I missed this.
    A couple o pages back teufel was talking about ways to get your hr down. One way he suggested was a couple of 5 milers at/near your hr you need for the medical portion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    I've been having similar success with that tip. I am regularly under my bpm now, no more dancing between pass/fail. It worked pretty quickly for me. I was usually a little under, right on the line or a little over. In the week or two I've been doing those runs and switching up my traininanthem diet) the bpm and my blood pressure actually came down. Thanks again T.
    No problem I'm glad it's helping you. Just remember you'll have to kick it up a bit after your medicals to be ready for the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is hard because you know you can go a lot faster and you feel like it won't work unless you do. But keep it up that medical is killing a lot of guys I hear. Once you get done with that you can do your speedwork.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was for guys who had to retest on the stepmill because their heart rate was too high. It's not a timed thing. Find out what your heart rate should be based on medical's chart (the formula is on here somewhere). Get yourself one of those hr monitors that will alarm if you go over or under the rate you dial in. Then run 5 miles 3 times a week at a pace that keeps you at or near what your hr should be. Even if you're barely jogging, stay at whatever speed keeps your hr where it's supposed to be. I don't know the science of the whole thing, but it worked for me. And even if you can't get it all the way down, your cardio will be good enough to allow you to stay on the stepmill the extra 2 minutes to pass.

Forum Member

Ahh gotcha. How did you guys go as far as adding weight to the vest. If I'm at 45 lbs. now should I be doing like 12 minutes, and just decrease a minute or so with ever 10 lbs. which would leave me able to do like 8 minutes with 75lbs. roughly?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Ahh gotcha. How did you guys go as far as adding weight to the vest. If I'm at 45 lbs. now should I be doing like 12 minutes, and just decrease a minute or so with ever 10 lbs. which would leave me able to do like 8 minutes with 75lbs. roughly?
    I was adding 2lbs per week, and no more than 30 seconds per week to my time. That way before you know it you go from 40lbs to 75lbs and never really shock your body. Just gotta make sure you start early enough to allow yourself time and dont fall off track.

Forum Member

Yea I got it a little before Easter and was doing it 3x a week until this past one when I got sick. Was up to 40 doing like 11-12 minutes. How did you run while also doing the vest? When I dedicate the next day to just running my times suck.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Yea I got it a little before Easter and was doing it 3x a week until this past one when I got sick. Was up to 40 doing like 11-12 minutes. How did you run while also doing the vest? When I dedicate the next day to just running my times suck.
    For now I run M/W/F. Stairs Tues/Sat. It can be tough on your legs at first, but as your legs get stronger it's not so bad. My legs used to be really beat up by Wednesdays but the last few months I've noticed they're fine. In the academy you'll be going up and down stairs and running on the same day, might as well get used to it now.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    For now I run M/W/F. Stairs Tues/Sat. It can be tough on your legs at first, but as your legs get stronger it's not so bad. My legs used to be really beat up by Wednesdays but the last few months I've noticed they're fine. In the academy you'll be going up and down stairs and running on the same day, might as well get used to it now.
    Yea that's probably the best way to approach it. It's tough trying to get squats and deadlifts in too.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

I haven't done a weighted stair work out with more than 50# in a while. Right now I'm doing stairs 3 days a
    Week. I do 3 minutes no vest then 8:30 minutes with the vest.

When I used to go heavier I did it 5# at a time. Did a level slower and a minute less. First I increased duration, then increased speed until 60 steps/min with 75# for 10 minutes. This served me well for cpat training.

Forum Member

Yea I'm still trying to find an actual step mill to it's. For now I'm using the stair machine that middle aged women use to keep their arses from falling off, so it's harder to get a good gauge of steps/flights etc. Works out the legs just fine with the vest on, but the real thing would be much better.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Yea that's probably the best way to approach it. It's tough trying to get squats and deadlifts in too.
    I don't know what your typical workout is and I don't know your physical conditions, but don't hurt yourself. Squats and deadlift are hard on your body and not all that useful for the job so don't overdue it. Light weights, VERY high reps and stairs/running.

Yea I'm still trying to find an actual step mill to it's. For now I'm using the stair machine that middle aged women use to keep their arses from falling off, so it's harder to get a good gauge of steps/flights etc. Works out the legs just fine with the vest on, but the real thing would be much better.
    Nothing like stairs.....real stairs. If you can't find a machine, no worries. Find some real stairs. Go to a municipal stadium or an apartment building. Walk up, run down, walk up, run down and repeat. You get the idea....

Forum Member

I don't know where you live, but parking garages works well also. Unless you live in a building, it's tough to look normal going up and down in a building you don't live in. Find a garage with multiple floors, if all else fails.....

Forum Member

Hey guys, I hope all is well. How are you all doing in regard to the time trials at c-pat training? When I went the other night only 16 out of 35 showed up but everyone passed. The best score I've seen is 6:56.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I don't know where you live, but parking garages works well also. Unless you live in a building, it's tough to look normal going up and down in a building you don't live in. Find a garage with multiple floors, if all else fails.....
    I live in GP. The house I live in is 3 flights, which isn't that much, and there isn't really anywhere else in my neighborhood. Does anyone know if Retro Fitness has step mills? Also, how does it work with the trials times counting if you pass? I'm asking a lot of questions today, and probably have over a year before I even see an envelope haha
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

All of you have missed the point of my comments.

I've done military time, some of it spent firefighting and going into areas without the nice gear we have here and I'm not some 23 year old kid. I know perfectly well how to keep my mouth shut and stay in line. I don't need you to teach me how it is in a firehouse, I'm very familiar with it.

My whole point is you arguing with spider neck and any of the PH people is pointless and just takes up space on this forum that can be used to obtain USEFUL information. Not listening to people banter back and forth about what should be, what was, and what is. No one likes the hiring situation going on right now but unfortunately it's mostly out of our hands.

Most of those people will not make it through the academy because they don't know how to behave or how to take the abuse so no sense in even worrying about them. I'm just asking you to ignore them so we can focus on the goal here. I personally don't think you yelling at them on a forum is going to make a break anyone's spirit or make a difference unfortunately. That can only be done in person at the academy where every inch of their morale will be tested.

I'm sure you guys will yell back at me like I'm some dumbass who doesn't know anything and say I'm talking back etc but that's all I have to say anymore. I'm here for the facts and the knowledge and that's it.

Sad part is I know most people here agree with me but won't speak up.

Forum Member

I live in GP. The house I live in is 3 flights, which isn't that much, and there isn't really anywhere else in my neighborhood. Does anyone know if Retro Fitness has step mills? Also, how does it work with the trials times counting if you pass? I'm asking a lot of questions today, and probably have over a year before I even see an envelope haha
    With the cpat time trials, as I
    Understand it, you will get two before your actual test. If you pass either one of the two time trials (or the actual test), then you pass.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrugger View Post
    Hey guys, I hope all is well. How are you all doing in regard to the time trials at c-pat training? When I went the other night only 16 out of 35 showed up but everyone passed. The best score I've seen is 6:56.
    The guy at DCAS said there will be a lot that won't show up, because of change of heart, injury, etc. So, there will be openings to fill......

Thread Information