Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 474 of 1143 FirstFirst ... 374424464471472473474475476477484524574974 ... LastLast
Results 9,461 to 9,480 of 22857
Like Tree8982Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #9461
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Evening guys, I don't know if it was posted earlier, but I just had my medical for Promo this past Thursday and would just like to share the process for the stair mill.

    I went in thinking it was 220-your age x .9......I was wrong

    In order to get clearance to wear the vest for 5:20 this is how it goes

    During station 1 (vitals) they record your BP,height,weight and RESTING HR, they put down your HR on the stairmill sheet.

    After you go threw stations 2,3,5 the nurse will clear you for the stairs.

    You go to the stairmill station and are placed on a HR monitor and set on the stairs without a vest for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes if your HR has exceeded double of your RESTING HR, your denied the 5:20 with vest trial and have to select a date later on to retest. Like I said I don't know if this was posted already, but figured it couldn't hurt to re-post.


  2. #9462
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Things have changed a lot and not for the better. Some of the major changes which greatly have an effect on anyone new coming in.

    1. No more going out 3/4's on injury only 1/2.

    2. No more widows and orphans benefits if you die on the job.

    3. OT no longer effects your retiring salary. It's based off your straight pay only.

    4. and its either 22.5 or 23.5 years for retirement.

    Somehow EMS kept all of those things though aside from retirement time. They've always been 25 years.
    I have a feeling that with the minority hires coming on there will be a law suit that has the basis of "Why is it when you started hiring more minorities, the benefits were decreased?"

  3. #9463
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMFDChris View Post
    Evening guys, I don't know if it was posted earlier, but I just had my medical for Promo this past Thursday and would just like to share the process for the stair mill.

    I went in thinking it was 220-your age x .9......I was wrong

    In order to get clearance to wear the vest for 5:20 this is how it goes

    During station 1 (vitals) they record your BP,height,weight and RESTING HR, they put down your HR on the stairmill sheet.

    After you go threw stations 2,3,5 the nurse will clear you for the stairs.

    You go to the stairmill station and are placed on a HR monitor and set on the stairs without a vest for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes if your HR has exceeded double of your RESTING HR, your denied the 5:20 with vest trial and have to select a date later on to retest. Like I said I don't know if this was posted already, but figured it couldn't hurt to re-post.
    Good info. Thanks!

  4. #9464
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    What happens if you pass the three minutes without the vest?
    I assume they put the vest on you, do they then score that 5:20 off of your 90% mhr?

  5. #9465
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMFDChris View Post
    Evening guys, I don't know if it was posted earlier, but I just had my medical for Promo this past Thursday and would just like to share the process for the stair mill.

    I went in thinking it was 220-your age x .9......I was wrong

    In order to get clearance to wear the vest for 5:20 this is how it goes

    During station 1 (vitals) they record your BP,height,weight and RESTING HR, they put down your HR on the stairmill sheet.

    After you go threw stations 2,3,5 the nurse will clear you for the stairs.

    You go to the stairmill station and are placed on a HR monitor and set on the stairs without a vest for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes if your HR has exceeded double of your RESTING HR, your denied the 5:20 with vest trial and have to select a date later on to retest. Like I said I don't know if this was posted already, but figured it couldn't hurt to re-post.
    Look guys, they're pretty damn serious about cardiovascular health. That's the whole point here. If up recall, a proby died 5 years ago in Proby School during FST. Now, while he had a prior heart conditions, they're not looking for this to happen again. Get serious and get in shape.

  6. #9466
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    All of you have missed the point of my comments.

    I've done military time, some of it spent firefighting and going into areas without the nice gear we have here and I'm not some 23 year old kid. I know perfectly well how to keep my mouth shut and stay in line. I don't need you to teach me how it is in a firehouse, I'm very familiar with it.

    My whole point is you arguing with spider neck and any of the PH people is pointless and just takes up space on this forum that can be used to obtain USEFUL information. Not listening to people banter back and forth about what should be, what was, and what is. No one likes the hiring situation going on right now but unfortunately it's mostly out of our hands.

    Most of those people will not make it through the academy because they don't know how to behave or how to take the abuse so no sense in even worrying about them. I'm just asking you to ignore them so we can focus on the goal here. I personally don't think you yelling at them on a forum is going to make a break anyone's spirit or make a difference unfortunately. That can only be done in person at the academy where every inch of their morale will be tested.

    I'm sure you guys will yell back at me like I'm some dumbass who doesn't know anything and say I'm talking back etc but that's all I have to say anymore. I'm here for the facts and the knowledge and that's it.

    Sad part is I know most people here agree with me but won't speak up.
    Funny thing about you is you're squawking on about how you know to keep your mouth shut while still talking! What part of "you have nothing to say" are you having trouble with? NOBODY but the other clown agrees with you; they're all smart enough to know when to shut up. Follow their lead.

    You know jack sh*t about what goes on in an FDNY firehouse, you don't get to decide what's useful and what isn't and your past experience means absolutely nothing; it's what you do now that matters. And right now, you're opening your mouth when you should have it clamped shut unless you're asking a question. Shut the fu*k up.
    FDsouthbxNY and DannyD0pe like this.

  7. #9467
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Yes you will then get a 5 minute break, re mount the stairs with monitor and 50lb vest @ 5:20 and then cannot excee your TArget HR.

    As for the retest. You will do the same process but when your on the 5:20 session the doctor will be behind you and if your HR is higher then target you stay on for an additional 3 minutes.

  8. #9468
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NMFDChris View Post
    Yes you will then get a 5 minute break, re mount the stairs with monitor and 50lb vest @ 5:20 and then cannot excee your TArget HR.

    As for the retest. You will do the same process but when your on the 5:20 session the doctor will be behind you and if your HR is higher then target you stay on for an additional 3 minutes.
    Correct, they monitor HR for 5:20, if your HR is still high, they will monitor fatigue.

  9. #9469
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Look guys, they're pretty damn serious about cardiovascular health. That's the whole point here. If up recall, a proby died 5 years ago in Proby School during FST. Now, while he had a prior heart conditions, they're not looking for this to happen again. Get serious and get in shape.
    He did indeed. FST is an a** kicker for everyone, but it's easier if you're in good shape. They didn't let up on us after that happened, either. And rightly so.

  10. #9470
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    It's not just the key; it's how you'll be judged. You bring nothing to a firehouse except your fitness level and attitude. You may have aced every class and evolution at the Rock, but you will still know NOTHING about firefighting. None of us did. That's why keeping quiet and listening to the every word and whim of the guys in your house is so big. And you will run into a guy who is going to break your balls over and over again about the tiniest details. It's not because we like being dic*s; it serves a purpose. You need to give up the I, me, my attitude you had to have as a civilian and start thinking in terms of we and us. That's how we stay alive. Nothing will get you in trouble quicker than the bullsh*t attitude that spiderneck and that ffhopeful guy have where they think they get a say in things. Which is why I'm trying to beat it out of them before that happens.

    Can you check your PM when u get a chance please

  11. #9471
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Is it me? Or wouldn't it just be easier to stay on the step mill for the longer period of time? Like.. Train to walk the stairs for the full time and it wouldn't be any issue?

    What's the FST? I was researching the academy, and the 1 family day video had the guys doing like.. CPAT type training.. But in gear..

    Or am I totally off target?

  12. #9472
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Is it me? Or wouldn't it just be easier to stay on the step mill for the longer period of time? Like.. Train to walk the stairs for the full time and it wouldn't be any issue?

    What's the FST? I was researching the academy, and the 1 family day video had the guys doing like.. CPAT type training.. But in gear..

    Or am I totally off target?
    Functional Skills Training. Think CPAT on roids. It's brutal and you MUST train up for it. That's all I'll say; you'll find out in due time.

  13. #9473
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    418

    Default

    That is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a hr monitor and will still try to be well under my target hr, but all of my training is for the 8min on the stairs so they have no say in it. Only thing I'm curious about is how they measure fatigue lol. Like if you're sweating will the doctor call it quits early. I try not to stress it, anytime i think about it i go for a run or drive to nysc to get on the stairmill. Hopefully by fatigue the doctors will stop people that are about to fall off

  14. #9474
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    All of you have missed the point of my comments.

    I've done military time, some of it spent firefighting and going into areas without the nice gear we have here and I'm not some 23 year old kid. I know perfectly well how to keep my mouth shut and stay in line. I don't need you to teach me how it is in a firehouse, I'm very familiar with it.

    My whole point is you arguing with spider neck and any of the PH people is pointless and just takes up space on this forum that can be used to obtain USEFUL information. Not listening to people banter back and forth about what should be, what was, and what is. No one likes the hiring situation going on right now but unfortunately it's mostly out of our hands.

    Most of those people will not make it through the academy because they don't know how to behave or how to take the abuse so no sense in even worrying about them. I'm just asking you to ignore them so we can focus on the goal here. I personally don't think you yelling at them on a forum is going to make a break anyone's spirit or make a difference unfortunately. That can only be done in person at the academy where every inch of their morale will be tested.

    I'm sure you guys will yell back at me like I'm some dumbass who doesn't know anything and say I'm talking back etc but that's all I have to say anymore. I'm here for the facts and the knowledge and that's it.

    Sad part is I know most people here agree with me but won't speak up.
    I'm with ya brother consider me spoken up

  15. #9475
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    418

    Default

    To comment on how hard it is to train stairs, run, and circuit train, the way i do it is i do stairs Mon, wed, friand also do my 5mile heart rate runs on those days. The reason is stairs leaves your legs pretty tired but the 5mile heart rate runs don't kill my legs the way my interval runs do on tues/thur/sat. The heart rate runs are actually relaxing and my favorite part of training right now. I do my circuit training before my interval runs tue/thur/sat. I take ice baths twice a week, helps my legs recover quicker

  16. #9476
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default

    What's the order they have people coming in for appointments? Medical, background, psych, CPAT....background, medical, psych, CPAT....or something else?

  17. #9477
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    418

    Default

    It varies, the ph's were going med first, While it looks like a lot of ppl on the oc are getting the psych first. Who knows

  18. #9478
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    That is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a hr monitor and will still try to be well under my target hr, but all of my training is for the 8min on the stairs so they have no say in it. Only thing I'm curious about is how they measure fatigue lol. Like if you're sweating will the doctor call it quits early. I try not to stress it, anytime i think about it i go for a run or drive to nysc to get on the stairmill. Hopefully by fatigue the doctors will stop people that are about to fall off
    No, you can sweat, but they look to see if you are gonna fall off or pass out. My guess is they still look at HR, but if its staying where it was and not popping out of your chest , then you are OK.

  19. #9479
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    No, you can sweat, but they look to see if you are gonna fall off or pass out. My guess is they still look at HR, but if its staying where it was and not popping out of your chest , then you are OK.
    What is going on guys. I actually have my second medical today in regards to the stairmaster. I will provide you guys with futher information on that process. After I pass the second part of the medical, all that is left is the CPAT and the background check. My fingers are crossed.

    If I recall, there were several people asking if they can postponed going into the academy until January due to whatever personal reasons they may have. I am going to inquire about that today with my investigator and see what reasons are accepted for such a request to be approved.

  20. #9480
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Is anyone here part of a runner's club (Road Runners etc.)? My father used to do it. It seems like a good way to get your times down substantially while not even realizing it since you're training for small races that are nearly every weekend/other weekend.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 34 users browsing this thread. (8 members and 26 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. antmdog,
  3. DannyD0pe,
  4. DannyTwoSeven,
  5. Matador611,
  6. Mazzeo5,
  7. NycQ83

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts