Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 478 of 1156 FirstFirst ... 378428468475476477478479480481488528578978 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,560 of 23101
Like Tree9062Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #9541
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default

    FDNY Probies run on the FDR Drive with American flags the day after the Boston Marathon bombings

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6KU...e_gdata_player
    mocon337, DannyD0pe and FFwnt2b like this.


  2. #9542
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    So I am still trying to figure out my chances for making it in the academy for july. I finished bringing all required documents to my investigator, I have my psych this Saturday, but I still haven't gotten my medical date. I also have yet to receive a date to take the CPAT test, even though I got the letter a few weeks ago about the CPAT orientation dates.

    So, has anyone around my list number gotten a medical, or a CPAT Test date? Has anybody around my list number already taken their CPAT?

    I could have sworn somebody said that the last date for CPATS is in the middle of May, which is really soon. So I am worried that I may have missed out on some CPAT information, regarding a possible test date of mine.

    Also, I wasn't able to make it to the CPAT orientation at long island city a few weeks ago. That wasn't where they assigned you a CPAT test date was it?
    I'm right there with you at 2xx. I also have turned in everything required by my investigator. I have not received anything in regards to the medical or the official CPAT test date. I have appointment for the psychological this Saturday, as well.

    I went through this process before, in 2008, for the class that never was. The process takes time and we are usually pretty much in the dark about things until we get mail and are scheduled for each part of the process. That's the way it works. I suspect after we do the psych, we will get dates for the medical and CPAT. We shall see.

    Of course there's always going to be rumors and small bits of information, but take it all with a grain of salt. And when other people start getting things, the usually post it here, so you'll get an idea about when you should expect something in the mail.

    It sounds like you're ready brother, just keep on training, walking the straight line and your time will come.
    Last edited by Minerva; 04-17-2013 at 12:06 AM.

  3. #9543
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    It's been said before but when doing the step mill w/ vest, not looking at your HR makes a world of difference. Last time I used my HR monitor was in December and I would stay fixated on my HR and I would always end up exceeding my max HR by a beat or two. Yesterday I used the monitor for the first time since December and only checked in at the 3 minute mark and 5:20 mark and was surprised to see at 5:20 my HR was 10 beats below what my max can be. Anyone struggling with HR on the step mill try your best not to look at it while doing the stepmill.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  4. #9544
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Spoke to my investigator today, they said they are projecting at going upto ~425 List # for the July Class, so bad news for me being low 700s but It gives me time to be extra prepared , just sucks to miss out
    Hey, have you received you medical or psych date yet? I'm 5xx and haven't received either yet.

  5. #9545
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It's been said before but when doing the step mill w/ vest, not looking at your HR makes a world of difference. Last time I used my HR monitor was in December and I would stay fixated on my HR and I would always end up exceeding my max HR by a beat or two. Yesterday I used the monitor for the first time since December and only checked in at the 3 minute mark and 5:20 mark and was surprised to see at 5:20 my HR was 10 beats below what my max can be. Anyone struggling with HR on the step mill try your best not to look at it while doing the stepmill.
    Completely agree with you. Every time I looked at my heart rate it will exceed my max allowable. I went for my second medical yesterday, and the worst part of the stair mill is not being able to look at anything but a blank wall. It was hard not to look at the time on the machine. Once I looked at the time I can feel my heart rate go up just because of nerves. Luckily I passed, but my advice for anyone is to sing a song or two in your head, or think of something that can pass the time. It sucks just doing the stairs with nothing to think about. It feels like it is taking forever. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the process.
    Last edited by FDNY-USCG; 04-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

  6. #9546
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Completely agree with you. Every time I looked at my heart rate it will exceed my max allowable. I went for my second medical yesterday, and the worst part of the stair mill is not being able to look at anything but a blank wall. It was hard not to look at the time on the machine. Once I looked at the time I can feel my heart rate go up just because of nerves. Luckily I passed, but my advice for anyone is to sing a song or two in your head, or think of something that can pass the time. It sucks just doing the stairs with nothing to think about. It feels like it is taking forever. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the process.
    congrats on passing, must be a huge relief. Was yesterday your originally scheduled day for the med? I thought with a list # like yours you'd have taken the med a few weeks ago.

  7. #9547
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    congrats on passing, must be a huge relief. Was yesterday your originally scheduled day for the med? I thought with a list # like yours you'd have taken the med a few weeks ago.
    My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

  8. #9548
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    ahhh, that makes sense. I was actually wondering about that resting heart rate & first three minutes myself. So you went more than double your resting rate on the 3 minute warm up, and that was it? Never put the vest on the first time? So when you went back did you go right in to the 5 min with the vest or another 3 warm up?

    Sorry for the 20 Q's.

  9. #9549
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    ahhh, that makes sense. I was actually wondering about that resting heart rate & first three minutes myself. So you went more than double your resting rate on the 3 minute warm up, and that was it? Never put the vest on the first time? So when you went back did you go right in to the 5 min with the vest or another 3 warm up?

    Sorry for the 20 Q's.
    Don't apologize. This is what this forum is for so we can help each other out. I'll try to answer anything that I can, and as accurate as possible. My resting heart rate for my first medical was 65, which means that my max allowed for the 3 minute portion with no vest was 130. After the three minutes, my resting heart rate was 140, so I never even got to put on the vest which got me kind of upset but no big deal. When I went back yesterday, the exam started the same way with the 3 minute warm up, and this time I didn't go over my max because my resting heart rate was a little higher at 72 which made my max 144, but for the second time on the stairmaster it really doesn't matter because even if you are over your max the doctor will allow you to do the stairs anyway. After the 5 minute grace period from the warm up, then you put the vest on and start the stairmill portion. At the 5:12 mark, one of the FF will check your heart rate to see if you are under your max, my max was 176, so at that mark I was at 171 so I was done with the exam. The other guys were over their max allowed and had to continue until they hit the 8 minute mark. As long as you finish and don't look like you are about to die, then the doctor will sign you off and you will be on your way. I hope that was clear and not confusing. You can always private message me if you have more questions and do not want to post them on here.
    vekdoggs75 and CableGuy516 like this.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

  10. #9550
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Don't apologize. This is what this forum is for so we can help each other out. I'll try to answer anything that I can, and as accurate as possible. My resting heart rate for my first medical was 65, which means that my max allowed for the 3 minute portion with no vest was 130. After the three minutes, my resting heart rate was 140, so I never even got to put on the vest which got me kind of upset but no big deal. When I went back yesterday, the exam started the same way with the 3 minute warm up, and this time I didn't go over my max because my resting heart rate was a little higher at 72 which made my max 144, but for the second time on the stairmaster it really doesn't matter because even if you are over your max the doctor will allow you to do the stairs anyway. After the 5 minute grace period from the warm up, then you put the vest on and start the stairmill portion. At the 5:12 mark, one of the FF will check your heart rate to see if you are under your max, my max was 176, so at that mark I was at 171 so I was done with the exam. The other guys were over their max allowed and had to continue until they hit the 8 minute mark. As long as you finish and don't look like you are about to die, then the doctor will sign you off and you will be on your way. I hope that was clear and not confusing. You can always private message me if you have more questions and do not want to post them on here.

    great info. Thanks!

  11. #9551
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    This **** kills me, my resting HR is ****ing 51.. 10 jumping jacks brings it to 110..... Mine as well tell them to reschedule stairs as soon as I step in the building when they call me for it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  12. #9552
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    This **** kills me, my resting HR is ****ing 51.. 10 jumping jacks brings it to 110..... Mine as well tell them to reschedule stairs as soon as I step in the building when they call me for it.
    Sorry for the typos, at work and on my phone when I'm not suppose to lol.

  13. #9553
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    My original medical was 4/4/2013, but I had to go back for the stairmaster portion that I was not able to do the first time. My resting heart rate was pretty low, so it screwed me when I did the 3 minutes with no vest.
    I thought you have 30 days after you fail the first medical for a chance at the 2nd medical or can you request the 2nd medical earlier?

  14. #9554
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I thought you have 30 days after you fail the first medical for a chance at the 2nd medical or can you request the 2nd medical earlier?
    You cannot request it, they give options on dates of when they are doing the 2nd meds for people.

  15. #9555
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    This **** kills me, my resting HR is ****ing 51.. 10 jumping jacks brings it to 110..... Mine as well tell them to reschedule stairs as soon as I step in the building when they call me for it.
    Same here basically, it's the one time I hope my nerves get the best of me and it increases my resting HR.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  16. #9556
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    You cannot request it, they give options on dates of when they are doing the 2nd meds for people.

    did you take your med too? If so can you give us a ballpark on your list #? Would like to see how far down on OC they've gone so far. Thanks.

  17. #9557
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    A lot of guys were doing push ups before they had their vitals checked. It actually increased their heart rate. Since their resting rate were low, they were able to manipulate the situation when they actually got on the stairmaster. So, if their actual resting heart rate was 65, buy doing push ups they increased it to 70-75, etc. There you are able to have some sort of leverage when you are on the stair master. Some tips u guys should take into consideration.

  18. #9558
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    I guess I'm lucky my resting heart rate hovers around 78 haha. Pretty sure I could run 6 miles and stay under 156.

    Edit: Side note, that's a great tip about the pre-reading push ups but I'm kinda shocked the doctors didn't put the kibosh on that as it kinda negates the value of the test.
    Last edited by River6019; 04-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

  19. #9559
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I thought you have 30 days after you fail the first medical for a chance at the 2nd medical or can you request the 2nd medical earlier?
    If you have to re-do the stairmaster, the nurse at the end will automatically try to schedule you for the stairs 30 days later, but I knew that I didn't need the 30 days so I asked what was the earliest date they had available and if they have the space they will let you come in on an earlier date. They will try to convince you to take the 30 days, but if you are like me and hate waiting just ask if they have anything earlier. I knew I will pass the stairs so I wasn't worried. Jukez, I completely understand where you are coming from. I wish I did some jumping jacks right before but it didn't cross my mind. It's a good idea for people who haven't gone yet.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

  20. #9560
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC/Washington Heights
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Check your mailboxes. I just received my cpat dates from DCAS. Good luck to everyone.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 31 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 25 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 7andchange,
  3. Matador611,
  4. Mtac288,
  5. nptks,
  6. Thrawn7280

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts