Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 1017 FirstFirst ... 389439479486487488489490491492499539589989 ... LastLast
Results 9,761 to 9,780 of 20322
Like Tree7719Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #9761
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I'm assuming you're around 5:15 -5:30 for a mile?

    And hills will do wonders.
    I don't even know honestly bro, I was just trying to control my breathing through out the whole time and took a few glimpse at my heart rate monitor that's about it ( i hit 183 when my 90% is 174.) I was sprinting basically through out the whole run and stopped at soon as I hit the 1.5 mile to catch my breath lol. I usually can hold a 7 min mile for the first 5-6 miles though, after that it slows down steadily.


  2. #9762
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Has anyone heard a "youre investigation is complete" from their investigator yet?...i have gone through my medical and psych...i passed the medical and i feel pretty confident that i passed the psych...i just havent heard official word from my investigator saying that i have passed my psych and the investigation is all done

  3. #9763
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I don't even know honestly bro, I was just trying to control my breathing through out the whole time and took a few glimpse at my heart rate monitor that's about it ( i hit 183 when my 90% is 174.) I was sprinting basically through out the whole run and stopped at soon as I hit the 1.5 mile to catch my breath lol. I usually can hold a 7 min mile for the first 5-6 miles though, after that it slows down steadily.
    At your pace its a 5:23 minute mile, pretty dang impressive man. Haven't run even near that fast since high school wrestling when I was around 171lbs. At 225lbs now I'm happy with my 7:30 minute pace for 6 miles but I actually wanna try and just gun it for a mile and a half soon and see where I'm at. I've been over the tri-boro so hopefully those inclines have been helping me too.
    List # 12XX

  4. #9764
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    At your pace its a 5:23 minute mile, pretty dang impressive man. Haven't run even near that fast since high school wrestling when I was around 171lbs. At 225lbs now I'm happy with my 7:30 minute pace for 6 miles but I actually wanna try and just gun it for a mile and a half soon and see where I'm at. I've been over the tri-boro so hopefully those inclines have been helping me too.
    I'm at 170 now. This is a perfect weight for me although I'm 6,2 and I'm considered "underweight" in weight standards but I'm very agile and pack alot of strength and stamina so I'm going to try and stay at this till hopefully I graduate from the academy. Post up your time when you do it, just get ready for some extreme calf and abs burning sensation haha.

  5. #9765
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I don't even know honestly bro, I was just trying to control my breathing through out the whole time and took a few glimpse at my heart rate monitor that's about it ( i hit 183 when my 90% is 174.) I was sprinting basically through out the whole run and stopped at soon as I hit the 1.5 mile to catch my breath lol. I usually can hold a 7 min mile for the first 5-6 miles though, after that it slows down steadily.
    Yeah, man, I'm not surprised you were sprinting, 8:00 pretty fast for a mile and a half. How often do you do longer runs?

  6. #9766
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Yeah, man, I'm not surprised you were sprinting, 8:00 pretty fast for a mile and a half. How often do you do longer runs?
    I started doing 5-6 mile runs at a steady pace 2 times a week. 2 times a week I do 3 mile fast paced and 2 times a week I bike anywhere from 10-14 miles single speed and usually places with decent hills. I used to run alot more but noticed how my knees were getting affected so I slowed a bit.

  7. #9767
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I started doing 5-6 mile runs at a steady pace 2 times a week. 2 times a week I do 3 mile fast paced and 2 times a week I bike anywhere from 10-14 miles single speed and usually places with decent hills. I used to run alot more but noticed how my knees were getting affected so I slowed a bit.
    Nice. I usually only do one longer distance run per week, which is more of a run for a set amount of time, like 45 minutes. My schedule (M-SA) is normally: Test - Ladder interval - Middle Distance - Pyramid Interval - Long slow distance - Basic interval.

    The test day is a 1 or 1.5m run. Once I've tested, I'll rest for a set time and repeat the distance once, followed by a few sprints. I alternate days of hill sprints and the step mill. I also do a slow swim most days.

    As far as rest goes, I basically go by how I feel. if I feel a bit tired, I rest, by my rest is a 45 minute walk or pool 'jog.'

    As for my money, I think hill sprints are one the best conditioning tools out there.
    Last edited by Minerva; 04-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.

  8. #9768
    Forum Member Desire4theJob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    the 718
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Can anyone give me any insight on how long the medical takes? I have to be back to base by 2pm and it's a 2hr 15m drive from MetroTech minimum.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:109
    List # XX

  9. #9769
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Just got my letter for medical. It's may 15th.
    My number is between 160-190.

  10. #9770
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    I just received my labs results from fdny medical...anyone else got theirs?

  11. #9771
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Nice. I usually only do one longer distance run per week, which is more of a run for a set amount of time, like 45 minutes. My schedule (M-SA) is normally: Test - Ladder interval - Middle Distance - Pyramid Interval - Long slow distance - Basic interval.

    The test day is a 1 or 1.5m run. Once I've tested, I'll rest for a set time and repeat the distance once, followed by a few sprints. I alternate days of hill sprints and the step mill. I also do a slow swim most days.

    As far as rest goes, I basically go by how I feel. if I feel a bit tired, I rest, by my rest is a 45 minute walk or pool 'jog.'

    As for my money, I think hill sprints are one the best conditioning tools out there.
    Yea I feel like when I keep switching it up is when I get the best improvements. I honestly haven't touched stairs much since I'm not even close to my medical but last time I did it I went 8 mins and my HR was just 3 ticks above my 90% so I'm not even going to worry about it for now. Running hills is by far the best man, not only it builds your stamina but it also strengthens your legs a lot. Keep up the good work man I can't wait to hear the first group of OC guys posting about that they got the call!!

  12. #9772
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    I just received my labs results from fdny medical...anyone else got theirs?
    Any good news bro?

  13. #9773
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Any good news bro?
    Not so much. Everything is good except for my cholesterol which is high. Not sure how that will affect me getting hired. I dont think it should keep me from getting hired imo. I immediately called my investigator and she said that i shouldnt be alarmed by this and that bhs probably wanted to let me know that my cholesterol is high. The letter also contained some advice about eating healthy blah, blah , blah. I was really surprised about the findings cause i consider myself to be healthy and athletic but oh well, i guess we arent perfect.

    She also gave me the number for bhs which is 718-999-1870 in case anyone is wondering.

  14. #9774
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Not so much. Everything is good except for my cholesterol which is high. Not sure how that will affect me getting hired. I dont think it should keep me from getting hired imo. I immediately called my investigator and she said that i shouldnt be alarmed by this and that bhs probably wanted to let me know that my cholesterol is high. The letter also contained some advice about eating healthy blah, blah , blah. I was really surprised about the findings cause i consider myself to be healthy and athletic but oh well, i guess we arent perfect.

    She also gave me the number for bhs which is 718-999-1870 in case anyone is wondering.
    Eh, I don't think this is bad, I mean you don't want high cholesterol but atleast is not something that horrible. More water, less salt and more veggies and fruits. You should be fine dude.

  15. #9775
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Not so much. Everything is good except for my cholesterol which is high. Not sure how that will affect me getting hired. I dont think it should keep me from getting hired imo. I immediately called my investigator and she said that i shouldnt be alarmed by this and that bhs probably wanted to let me know that my cholesterol is high. The letter also contained some advice about eating healthy blah, blah , blah. I was really surprised about the findings cause i consider myself to be healthy and athletic but oh well, i guess we arent perfect.

    She also gave me the number for bhs which is 718-999-1870 in case anyone is wondering.
    Hey man, if you're worried about it, have your primary care doctor check in out. He or she may have a different take on it.

    I had a regular check up recently and the when the lab results came back my and it had my LDL cholesterol as 'high' at 100, with the acceptable range being 0-99. However my HDL (good cholesterol) was excellent and my triglyceride level was very low. Based on my overall health, the overall result of my blood work and low risk for any type of heart disease, my doctor (and the medical group he works for) considers a LDL level under 160 good for me.

    Also, testing labs sometimes use different acceptable levels, for various things, too. So, don't worry too much and just maybe watch your diet a little more closely.
    Last edited by Minerva; 04-25-2013 at 05:17 PM.

  16. #9776
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Yea I feel like when I keep switching it up is when I get the best improvements. I honestly haven't touched stairs much since I'm not even close to my medical but last time I did it I went 8 mins and my HR was just 3 ticks above my 90% so I'm not even going to worry about it for now. Running hills is by far the best man, not only it builds your stamina but it also strengthens your legs a lot. Keep up the good work man I can't wait to hear the first group of OC guys posting about that they got the call!!
    Bro, were you an athlete or are you a trainer? You seem to have a pretty good idea on how to train and on some of the other facets that go into a good training program.

  17. #9777
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    Can anyone give me any insight on how long the medical takes? I have to be back to base by 2pm and it's a 2hr 15m drive from MetroTech minimum.
    You should be out well before noon usually.

  18. #9778
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68

    Default

    To any OC people who have gone through the medical process can u please enlighten me on what it involves? do they make you sign anything stating they can check your medical records or they go e you their own physical or what? Like what do they ask you?

  19. #9779
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Bro, were you an athlete or are you a trainer? You seem to have a pretty good idea on how to train and on some of the other facets that go into a good training program.
    I have trained people before but I'm far from a "trainer". And honestly I was actually the total opposite of an athlete. I was always the slowest, weakest and least athletletic of everyone I knew. When I got Interested in becoming a firefighter I was told that just by looking at me they knew I wouldn't make it ( I'm sure I wouldn't have lol ) and that's when I started training about 6 years ago and I just got obssessed with being fit as gay as it sounds. So 6 years of religiously training with some on and off months. I'll be damned if I don't look like I know how to train lol

  20. #9780
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ready4fire View Post
    To any OC people who have gone through the medical process can u please enlighten me on what it involves? do they make you sign anything stating they can check your medical records or they go e you their own physical or what? Like what do they ask you?
    They go through their physical, but they do have you sign something to go through your records. Their physical involves everything from blood, eye, hearing, stair mill, pulmonary, urine, X-ray, mask breathing test.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. dwm326,
  2. grizzle

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts