Like Tree10494Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcasler View Post
    does it really come down to 100 or bust?
    absolutely...i'm claiming residency credits, so for me it's 105 or bust...

I could be overshooting it, but consider this:

This upcoming exam has by far the most applicants of any FDNY exam in the history of the city (60,000+). Let's say about 45,000 take the exam. That is alot of competition. Definitely will be plenty of 100's on the exam. Even with a 105 my list number could be in the 2000's. Anything less and you can add another 2000 to that number.

Forum Member

good luck to the guys and gals going tomorrow.

Forum Member

so with that theory whats the point for anybody without bonus points to take the test... if you land a 105 and you're only top 2000 do you really think they will hire 2000 people in 4 years? I understand that obviously some of the 2000 will fail the physical part and maybe background part but still I think even 2000 is close to impossible of being hired

or am I just missing something?

Forum Member

so with that theory whats the point for anybody without bonus points to take the test... if you land a 105 and you're only top 2000 do you really think they will hire 2000 people in 4 years? I understand that obviously some of the 2000 will fail the physical part and maybe background part but still I think even 2000 is close to impossible of being hired

You take it precisely for the reasons you just gave. People will fail the physical and background part so you will be moved up in line.

Bottom line is this..just take the exam, get a 100, claim whatever credits you're eligible for, and leave it at that. Whatever happens, happens. If it's meant to be, it will be.
    Last edited by Angelo_D; 03-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Basically just shoot for 100 on the exam. No one has any idea how this list will play out. The personality portion of the exam may weed out a lot of otherwise viable candidates out of the running. If the math is similar to that in the Vulcan/Don McNea book it's going knock a lot of people down the list as well. And IMO a lot of people that basically had their hands through the entire application process will fail the CPAT exam even if you're allowed to practice it a few times. No one has the slightest idea how this will play, you can score 105 and be 500 on the list or in the 2000's. It's not worth thinking about that right now. Your main focus should be scoring as high as possible on this exam. If you start thinking about list numbers and how much the odds are against you or for you it will just screw you up

Forum Member

No one knows what the break down of the scores to your list ranking will be with the new exam but I believe in the past 105 would have put you between like 1000-1300ish, something like that. BUT the difference in 5 points on the exam was a couple of thousand spots

Right after 9/11 they were burning through the list up to list #s around 4800-5000, but there's little chance the city will hire like that again. I'm thinking if you aren't at least top 4000 you have no shot, and even then I wouldn't feel safe between 2800-4000. Just how I'm looking at it though, to each his own.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    No one knows what the break down of the scores to your list ranking will be with the new exam but I believe in the past 105 would have put you between like 1000-1300ish, something like that. BUT the difference in 5 points on the exam was a couple of thousand spots

Right after 9/11 they were burning through the list up to list #s around 4800-5000, but there's little chance the city will hire like that again. I'm thinking if you aren't at least top 4000 you have no shot, and even then I wouldn't feel safe between 2800-4000. Just how I'm looking at it though, to each his own.
    I could be wrong but wasn't the lowest score to make the only 6019 class a 103.9 ? Wouldn't that alone put someone higher on the list than 1000-1300 ?

Forum Member

I agree. I was simply giving my opinion but obviously none of us will know how the list will play out. The personality section will definitely drop people's scores. As for the math, practice multiplying numbers with decimals and percentages, as well as long division.

Tom said it perfectly, don't worry about the list numbers. Just get a 100 and you know that you did everything that you needed to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I could be wrong but wasn't the lowest score to make the only 6019 class a 103.9 ? Wouldn't that alone put someone higher on the list than 1000-1300 ?
    You could be right, it's been so long since The Chief removed the official list from their site. I was taking a guesstimate. That would mean through at least list # 886 the lowest score was 103.9.

If I were list # 887 I'd prob have killed myself by now lol.

Forum Member

Hey guys, My test is this Saturday. I just had the test prep tutorial last night. It's identical to what they have on the website.

So I got the video/reading comprehension/math stuff down. What should I be going over now?

I appreciate any info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enwhycee1 View Post
    Hey guys, My test is this Saturday. I just had the test prep tutorial last night. It's identical to what they have on the website.

So I got the video/reading comprehension/math stuff down. What should I be going over now?

I appreciate any info.
    The personality based questions, order the Don McNea book. You can download it in PDF format. Worth the $50 if you have no idea what to expect on the personality based questions.

Forum Member

The personality based questions, order the Don McNea book. You can download it in PDF format. Worth the $50 if you have no idea what to expect on the personality based questions.
    I will look into that. Thanks for the quick reply.

Forum Member

Which book is it exactly? These personality crap questions are actually getting me a little nervous lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Which book is it exactly? These personality crap questions are actually getting me a little nervous lol
    If you went to the Vulcans class its the same book. I don't know the exact website off hand but google Don McNea fire school and it should come up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Are any of you guys familiar with the McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exam book? I have that one in PDF form. I'm guessing it is similar to Don McNea's book..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by enwhycee1 View Post
    Are any of you guys familiar with the McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exam book? I have that one in PDF form. I'm guessing it is similar to Don McNea's book..
    Sent you a pm

Forum Member

for the math portion, have you guys been going over any geometry? Area, sq feet, volume... etc?

Forum Member

Whats up guys I am taking the test Sat too...I guess you prolly already discussed this but can anyone give me an idea of what they instructed the best strategy is for the Personality questions?? why is everyone so worried about this?? and also a big concern I had was the reading comprehension...does anyone know if they will take the passage/info away from us after we read it?? or can we go back while answering the question?? ( I was taking the practice reading comp in the FDNY tutorial book and without going back there is no way to memorize all the info, especially on those nutrition facts comprehension lol)

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by metsclinch1 View Post
    Whats up guys I am taking the test Sat too...I guess you prolly already discussed this but can anyone give me an idea of what they instructed the best strategy is for the Personality questions?? why is everyone so worried about this?? and also a big concern I had was the reading comprehension...does anyone know if they will take the passage/info away from us after we read it?? or can we go back while answering the question?? ( I was taking the practice reading comp in the FDNY tutorial book and without going back there is no way to memorize all the info, especially on those nutrition facts comprehension lol)
    No you'll be able to go back and forth the only problem is that maybe they won't give you a short passage to read. Most likely its gonna be a long passage followed by a few questions or just a question depending how they want to play it. Either way you'll be able to look back at the passage. Good luck this week guys

Forum Member

for the math portion, have you guys been going over any geometry? Area, sq feet, volume... etc?
    they won't ask those types of questions on the exam

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    How do you know for sure???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    How do you know for sure???
    the instructor told us

practice long division, percentages and fractions

Forum Member

the instructor told us

I kinda fiqure that but one can never be to sure you know. But math isn't really what they are aiming so I guess and I hope it won't be some bogus math question that will leave me scratching my head for like half an hour. If people came back saying this exam is harder than the 6019 then I don't know what the hell the vulcans were looking for in a test.

Forum Member

does anyone know which parts of test will be individually timed?? and also did anyone else notice any mistakes on the FDNY answer guide?? (on the nutrition facts comp quiz they say the answer for #11 grams of carbs is answer c. 3 when it really is d. 31 or am I missing something?? lol)

Forum Member

the instructor told us

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking through the Norman's Hall text and they had a bunch of Q's on it. I didn't think we would be tested on that, wanted to be sure though.

Thread Information