Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Good advise MM, and it would be my pleasure to do the dishes in 4 1/2 months!

Forum Member

Crunching numbers because its Friday and its dead.

Based on the most recent info we've been getting, which I pray to God is even close to accurate.

- No more than 50 combined Promos/ PHs will be in the next class. (leaving at least 270 spots for OC)
    - It took them 94 spots on the OC list to get to 17 fully qualified candidates. (5.5:1 ratio)

If those factors stay consistent, then we could (call me crazy) get up to around list number 1,579 on the OC for the winter class. I know I'm way ahead of myself here and I'm not getting my hopes up but I don't think anyone thought we'd be at a 5.5:1 ratio for the OC list this early. Get ready guys this list might start flying.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Crunching numbers because its Friday and its dead.

Based on the most recent info we've been getting, which I pray to God is even close to accurate.

- No more than 50 combined Promos/ PHs will be in the next class. (leaving at least 270 spots for OC)
    - It took them 94 spots on the OC list to get to 17 fully qualified candidates. (5.5:1 ratio)

If those factors stay consistent, then we could (call me crazy) get up to around list number 1,579 on the OC for the winter class. I know I'm way ahead of myself here and I'm not getting my hopes up but I don't think anyone thought we'd be at a 5.5:1 ratio for the OC list this early. Get ready guys this list might start flying.
    I think that the reason for the high ratio is people that claimed residency not getting it. I doubt that a high number of people in the upper portions of the list were denied for any other reason.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

there is no way that ratio can be accurate for OC, right? I'm sure it was guys deferring on active duty or school. If the ratio is that broad up high that would be concern me. I think the January class will give us a better idea because it will be mostly OC.

Forum Member

I think a lot of guys still on active duty and deferring.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

That ratio is false hope. Those guys are all probably active duty. No way veterans are failing all those steps that phs ended up passing. And somehow I think 100 spots or so will be ems/ph regardless of the math, just preparing for the worst

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    there is no way that ratio can be accurate for OC, right? I'm sure it was guys deferring on active duty or school. If the ratio is that broad up high that would be concern me. I think the January class will give us a better idea because it will be mostly OC.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think a lot of guys still on active duty and deferring.
    Or all three. And no it would not surprise me for a large number to claim residency and not get it. Just take a look at the forums and see that some guys ran into OC guys that even said they claimed 5 points and were nowhere near living in the city for a year.

Forum Member

I know this is extremely far off from everything that's been discussed here but from someone i know who I can confidently say is very in the know about this class stated...

"this next class is 200 EMS, 100 OC and 20 ph and I don't think well even get 50 PHs for the next class"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I know this is extremely far off from everything that's been discussed here but from someone i know who I can confidently say is very in the know about this class stated...

"this next class is 200 EMS, 100 OC and 20 ph and I don't think well even get 50 PHs for the next class"
    you sure you dont mean 200 EMS/100 PH/20 OC? Those were the #s I heard, pretty close to what Jukez heard.

Forum Member

Sorry 100 PH and 20 OC

Forum Member

Just so everyone knows...pretty much everyone on here has used ratios incorrectly(and its confusing the **** out of me). if 20 guys got called and they got to list number 100 that is a 1:4 ratio. Meaning one out of every five guys. Not a 1:5 ratio. That would be one out of every six.

Forum Member

AND if they did take 20 off the OC list and they got to list number 90. That is a RATIO of 2:7(1:3.5) which makes a lot more sense for the top of the list than the other numbers being thrown around.

***I may or may not have played poker for a living for awhile and ratios were very important

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Just so everyone knows...pretty much everyone on here has used ratios incorrectly(and its confusing the **** out of me). if 20 guys got called and they got to list number 100 that is a 1:4 ratio. Meaning one out of every five guys. Not a 1:5 ratio. That would be one out of every six.
    Incorrect, if 20 out of 100 were offered a spot in the academy, that is a 1:5 ratio. You don't deduct the 1 from the whole in ratios. If 20 out of 94 were offered the position, that would equate to a 1:4.7 ratio. Meaning, for every 4.7 people contacted, 1 was offered a job.

That being said, the fact that we have a ridiculously high ratio is not cause for joy or surprise. My brother was hired off of the 2003 exam and he started in the mid 500's but wasn't hired until 2007 due to being an active Marine. From what I saw when he was hired, it can be a benefit because guys in the next year or so can be hired sooner. But, when these guys start coming off active duty, they fall into the class immediately following their discharge. If I am hired at the tail end of a class, I would wait on baited breath until the first day of the academy because you could be scrubbed for the veteran.

Semper Fi!
    Last edited by dwm326; 07-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Incorrect, if 20 out of 100 were offered a spot in the academy, that is a 1:5 ratio. You don't deduct the 1 from the whole in ratios. If 20 out of 94 were offered the position, that would equate to a 1:4.7 ratio.
    Wow my dude its a ratio...NOT a fraction. In a ratio the entire thing represents 1 or 100%... Now i gotta find a link showing you...

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/ratio.html
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks for being a smart***** about things, however, if everyone on this post has been using it one way and people have been understanding it that way, wouldn't your explanation cause further confusion?

I'm not trying to propagate that we all start doing incorrect math, because I fully admit I was wrong and have just been enlightened. But I doubt that this small portion of a forum is going to stop any one of us from breaking the ratio down like everyone has on this exam for the past 5-10+ years.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Thanks for being a smart***** about things, however, if everyone on this post has been using it one way and people have been understanding it that way, wouldn't your explanation cause further confusion?

I'm not trying to propagate that we all start doing incorrect math, because I fully admit I was wrong and have just been enlightened. But I doubt that this small portion of a forum is going to stop any one of us from breaking the ratio down like everyone has on this exam for the past 5-10+ years.
    Dont you think it is at all possible that the ratio was being expressed correctly before and is now being expressed incorrect on the forum and that is why there is this great disparity

And btw thanks for calling me a smart*****. If I was trying to be a d*ck, I would have said something like it is impossible to fight ignorance isn't it? Which may or may not have been directed at you.
    For the record I was trying to be helpful. And clearing up the ratio problem, may have cleared up people going how is this possible, why is the ratio so high. We may know now that it is closer to "norm" then we thought before.
    Last edited by coldblood92; 07-19-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Forum Member

Let it go, I admitted I was wrong.

The smart***** comment was directed at your choice of words, not you correcting me.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Wow my dude its a ratio...NOT a fraction. In a ratio the entire thing represents 1 or 100%... Now i gotta find a link showing you...

http://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/ratio.html
    Dude don't you remember? It has been the word of the law that math and reading aren't at all important in being a firefighter...
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Word on the street is that this academy class is 26 weeks? Anyone hear that? Anyone going in been specifically told 18 weeks?

Forum Member

Im new here, I have a question about the status of the exam.. Im number 900ish, and haven't heard anything from the fdny.. I've been hearing that people have been called to start the process, I've heard that somebody as far as 600's has been called to start screening.. Does anybody think that in the 900's, I can possibly be appointed by next summer?

Also how is the hiring process like, and is it hard to prove residency for 2010?

Forum Member

Hmmm, there are two different ratios you could be expressing, right? Either guys hired to guys called (1:5) or guys hired to guys not hired (1:4).

Whichever one you want to use, wasn't the ratio from the 6019 class that went in much better than this one though? One would think back then there would be more active duty guys who had to defer than currently given deployments and whatnot.

For what it's worth:
    I have lived in the city for 5.5 of the last 6 years, the .5 happened to be in the middle of the required residency period (don't think I don't kick myself for that decision every day). I had about 10 different guys OTJ tell me to apply for residency points anyway and just explain the case to my investigator when the time came. In the end I chose not to, but I'm sure a lot of other people went that route. Waiting for one of the review sessions I talked to a group of guys from Rockland that all said they applied for the residency points even though they'd never lived in the city. So, yeah, if they really are being crazy strict with those points, that could be part of what's going on. Keep in mind anyone with a score of 102 or better is probably gonna get called again eventually even if they lose the points.

Incorrect, if 20 out of 100 were offered a spot in the academy, that is a 1:5 ratio. You don't deduct the 1 from the whole in ratios. If 20 out of 94 were offered the position, that would equate to a 1:4.7 ratio. Meaning, for every 4.7 people contacted, 1 was offered a job.

That being said, the fact that we have a ridiculously high ratio is not cause for joy or surprise. My brother was hired off of the 2003 exam and he started in the mid 500's but wasn't hired until 2007 due to being an active Marine. From what I saw when he was hired, it can be a benefit because guys in the next year or so can be hired sooner. But, when these guys start coming off active duty, they fall into the class immediately following their discharge. If I am hired at the tail end of a class, I would wait on baited breath until the first day of the academy because you could be scrubbed for the veteran.

Semper Fi!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kngnothen View Post
    Word on the street is that this academy class is 26 weeks? Anyone hear that? Anyone going in been specifically told 18 weeks?
    It's 18 weeks, it was said at the run date from the senior drill instructor.

Forum Member

I'm 90x. Supposively we should get our packets in August. I'm praying I make January but I know it's a bit of a long shot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I'm 90x. Supposively we should get our packets in August. I'm praying I make January but I know it's a bit of a long shot.
    Supposedly? who said that?

OAK
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Supposedly? who said that?
    I would assume the next batch of background investigation packets would go out in August since it was February (I believe) that they went out to the first 733 names off the O.C.list. Only a month after the january 2013 academy started.

Thread Information