Like Tree9967Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

You're not getting my point. I agree with you, but suggesting whites should band together is retarded. All candidates were effected believe it or not. You think priority hiring benefits me in any way? Some of us were rushing back and forth to our investigators to get paperwork in and and traveling an hour plus each way to cpat practice and psych appointments just to sit and watch others skip ahead. So yes it isn't fair trust me I've met some guys on here who busted their *** getting in shape for this class just to watch phs jump ahead, but the answer isn't to divide candidates into separate groups when we're all in it together and after the same goal
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc3071 View Post
    During orientation do you bring the manuals with you?
    Dont forget to complete the information work sheet in the back and to buy the money order!
    Does the paperwork say bring your probie manuals? Did the DIs ever mention it for tomorrow?

(Hint: I'm pretty sure the answer is no.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    You're not getting my point. I agree with you, but suggesting whites should band together is retarded. All candidates were effected believe it or not. You think priority hiring benefits me in any way? Some of us were rushing back and forth to our investigators to get paperwork in and and traveling an hour plus each way to cpat practice and psych appointments just to sit and watch others skip ahead. So yes it isn't fair trust me I've met some guys on here who busted their *** getting in shape for this class just to watch phs jump ahead, but the answer isn't to divide candidates into separate groups when we're all in it together and after the same goal
    well then all of us eligible candidates should band together and take a class action suit and appeal the priority hiring decision.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    well then all of us eligible candidates should band together and take a class action suit and appeal the priority hiring decision.
    Merit matters is the group I believe

Forum Member

I have 2 questions I'd like to ask, the 1st is about the physical agility test, and the second is about aspect of the job itself, that im hoping somebody who is on the job can answer.

#1) what is the CPAT like, what does it entail? what are some things I should be focusing on now in my workout program?

#2) what is the job like in terms of hours and pay? Is there a lot of over time to do to help boost the salary? Because my current city job, the paycheck deductions are so high with taxes and paying into the pension, that I need the overtime sometimes to have a decent take home pay.

Does the FDNY allow for you to do mutual to take time off? and what is Fringe pay?

Forum Member

I have 2 questions I'd like to ask, the 1st is about the physical agility test, and the second is about aspect of the job itself, that im hoping somebody who is on the job can answer.

#1) what is the CPAT like, what does it entail? what are some things I should be focusing on now in my workout program?

#2) what is the job like in terms of hours and pay? Is there a lot of over time to do to help boost the salary? Because my current city job, the paycheck deductions are so high with taxes and paying into the pension, that I need the overtime sometimes to have a decent take home pay.

Does the FDNY allow for you to do mutual to take time off? and what is Fringe pay?
    While I can't speak for #2, as far as the CPAT goes.. I would try to get a weight vest ASAP.. Walk stairs, do the elliptical, walk with it on.. Do stairs. Strengthen your legs for endurance..

Go on YouTube.. Look up CPAT and just focus on things you can do around your gym..and your house. Start sooner rather then later..

Forum Member

#1) google is your friend. Lookup CPAT and you'll find a video demonstration. Your workouts should be endurance based, not heavy lifting. Lower weights, higher reps.

#2) these are not the best questions to ask right now. There will be little to no O/T for you by the time you're reached for the academy. The reality is, you make s.h.i.t. money for the first 5 years and after that you get a half decent wage. Mutuals are something that you won't learn about for a while, you won't be allowed to do them. Learn the job, then learn how to manipulate the schedule.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    #1) google is your friend. Lookup CPAT and you'll find a video demonstration. Your workouts should be endurance based, not heavy lifting. Lower weights, higher reps.

#2) these are not the best questions to ask right now. There will be little to no O/T for you by the time you're reached for the academy. The reality is, you make s.h.i.t. money for the first 5 years and after that you get a half decent wage. Mutuals are something that you won't learn about for a while, you won't be allowed to do them. Learn the job, then learn how to manipulate the schedule.
    Thanks for your input.. can you explain to me how the schedule works, like do you work a 4 and 2 type of schedule etc.. and how are the hours..

Also, what is fringe pay? I read that on the fdny website as part of the salary

Forum Member

That news article should add how they failed the test and so many others who scored higher are now being put on hold.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Just a little information i found out. Out of the 95 Oc guys that were call for the run only 20 of them defer. All Oc guys who did not make it either failed the run or were not place for other reasons. Ph were not allowed to use residency credit to boosted their score to make the list. As per the meeting some of the Ph had with a mentor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    That news article should add how they failed the test and so many others who scored higher are now being put on hold.

Not true. I passed in 2002 w/ a 94.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
    Not true. I passed in 2002 w/ a 94.
    By "failed" he simply means failed to score in range where you need to get called.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    By "failed" he simply means failed to score in range where you need to get called.

I was called though. Passed the CPAT and got all the way to the mental evaluation back then and was "passed up" for the job. I did make this upcoming academy class though. Everything happens for a reason.

Forum Member

I was called though. Passed the CPAT and got all the way to the mental evaluation back then and was "passed up" for the job. I did make this upcoming academy class though. Everything happens for a reason.
    You got called with a 94? Would have been the last class I take it, and then the list expired? What was the reason they gave you to be DQ'd?

Forum Member

There was also no CPAT back then. I know what you mean though.

Forum Member

You got called with a 94? Would have been the last class I take it, and then the list expired? What was the reason they gave you to be DQ'd?
    I took the written exam back in 2002. Took and passed the CPAT in 2003/04. I was never given a DQ. I was just never called back after I took and passed all the appropriate steps.

Forum Member

I took the written exam back in 2002. Took and passed the CPAT in 2003/04. I was never given a DQ. I was just never called back after I took and passed all the appropriate steps.

Forum Member

There was also no CPAT back then. I know what you mean though.
    It was the physical test that they gave back then I suppose.

Forum Member

Why in god's name did you not keep up with your investigator? Try to find out what happened? It could have very well been some slight bureaucratic slip up and you woulda been golden.

Forum Member

Wait a minute dude....you took the test in '02 and started your process in '03 with a 94? Now I'm not one to start **** around this forum, it's smelling like rotten fish right now.

Forum Member

Why in god's name did you not keep up with your investigator? Try to find out what happened? It could have very well been some slight bureaucratic slip up and you woulda been golden.
    If memory serves me correct, the whole process was completely different than it is now. I don't ever remember meeting a investigator. I do remember going as far as taking and passing their physical test. Then I got called back for their mental evaluation and also had to submit some paperwork. After that, I never heard back.

Forum Member

Also, the building was very intimidating where the physical was given. It was in the city, can't remember where, but it looked deserted. I think it was Queens......LOL

Forum Member

Wait a minute dude....you took the test in '02 and started your process in '03 with a 94? Now I'm not one to start **** around this forum, it's smelling like rotten fish right now.

I'm hispanic. So I'm assuming I was called with a score of 94 to fill their "quota". You can call it what you want. I don't need to lie about it. LoL

Forum Member

Just to be clear, I took the written test in '02. Physical test was in '03-'04?, and I was last called for their mental evaluation and to hand in some paperwork in '07 I believe. So there was a span of a few years in between. It didn't all happen right away.

Forum Member

Just to be clear, I took the written test in '02. Physical test was in '03-'04?, and I was last called for their mental evaluation and to hand in some paperwork in '07 I believe. So there was a span of a few years in between. It didn't all happen right away.
    Well that makes more sense. And they did get somewhat deep into that list. But a 94? Ok. Anyway, you should have been on them man. Like a pitbull. They go through tons of candidates and make mistakes sometimes. Guys on these forums can attest to that.

Thread Information