Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 497 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 397447487494495496497498499500507547597997 ... LastLast
Results 9,921 to 9,940 of 23939
Like Tree9376Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by getting ready View Post
    I sure wish there was a way to know for certain...
    Hey man

When I got on I was taking blood pressure medicine for years. If you don't mind me asking what do you take? If you are taking beta blockers they won't let you on the job. Just don't tell them. How are they gonna know? They don't screen you for medications, just illegal drugs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    The investigator probably won't call you unless they need something from you. I do believe you get the residency during military service, but I can't say for sure. If you have a parent who lived in the city for the dates they're asking for residency, get their records along with your DD-214 which has your home of record on it. Most likely the 214 is enough, but it can't hurt to have backup.
    Being that you are already otj i just wanna say thanks for taking the time to swing by and answer some questions. This forum has been do helpful to me that once i make it in i will come back and maybe hopefully answer some questions as well

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    Hey man

When I got on I was taking blood pressure medicine for years. If you don't mind me asking what do you take? If you are taking beta blockers they won't let you on the job. Just don't tell them. How are they gonna know? They don't screen you for medications, just illegal drugs.

I am not taking any. I can tell that it is starting to run a bit high these days, specifically the systolic. It is a genetic thing as my folks have it, and I am in sick shape otherwise. Particularly when I am in a medical setting, it runs even higher. And I have a feeling that it would be a beta blocker if anything. Why would that be the one med that they would DQ you for as opposed to the others?

In terms of them not screening for meds, I have read otherwise on here. And they could see that through your medical records anyway no?

Forum Member

Guys, I see a lot of comments about advanced notice for your current employer. I will tell you from experience that the FDNY DOES NOT give a rat's *** about what your employer wants. I myself received 6 days. I know guys who were late additions to their class who received a phone call the night before. And it's not just us; some of you who are cops probably dealt with the same kind of thing. You most likely will not be able to give two weeks notice or file for a leave of absence with two months notice. You WILL have to leave your current employer in a lurch to take this job, and for those of you looking to put in for a leave of absence I ask you this: why? If you get hired for this job, you don't need to look back. Loyalty is the right thing, and it's good that you guys don't want to screw anyone over. But you'll probably have to. So do what you gotta do. The Captain of proby school used to tell us a story about an ancient war where the commander burned all the ships the troops used to get there so they wouldn't have anything on their mind but winning the war. Burn the ships.
    Not a good idea if you get hurt in the academy, fail out or if you decide that it's not for you. Always good to keep your options open with your previous employer

Cops don't need to give 2 weeks notice. It's a city job..you can quit 2 days before and still have 1 year to go back

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by getting ready View Post
    I am not taking any. I can tell that it is starting to run a bit high these days, specifically the systolic. It is a genetic thing as my folks have it, and I am in sick shape otherwise. Particularly when I am in a medical setting, it runs even higher. And I have a feeling that it would be a beta blocker if anything. Why would that be the one med that they would DQ you for as opposed to the others?

In terms of them not screening for meds, I have read otherwise on here. And they could see that through your medical records anyway no?
    They probably have a problem with beta blockers specifically because of the specific mechanism of action. Beta blockers can have powerful effects since beta receptors are found on a number of different cells and stimulating beta receptors (or blocking that stimulation) has a wide range of effects.

Other types of anti-hypertensives are a lot more specific in their mechanism of action, and don't have as many side effects.

Family Day was pretty amazing. The end is so close I can almost taste it. The worst part now is anxiety over: Where will I be sent? Having to readjust to life outside the academy environment and life inside the firehouse.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They probably have a problem with beta blockers specifically because of the specific mechanism of action. Beta blockers can have powerful effects since beta receptors are found on a number of different cells and stimulating beta receptors (or blocking that stimulation) has a wide range of effects.

Other types of anti-hypertensives are a lot more specific in their mechanism of action, and don't have as many side effects.

Family Day was pretty amazing. The end is so close I can almost taste it. The worst part now is anxiety over: Where will I be sent? Having to readjust to life outside the academy environment and life inside the firehouse.
    Thanks for the insight MM. I friggin despise my folks for these genetics. I dunno what to do here.

Congrats on being so close btw...

Forum Member

Family day was a good time. To many marriage proposals though. After the first one the jig is up!....So happy for my brothers. Can't wait. BTW the new gear looks good just stands out a bit thats all. Once everyone else has it then it wont be weird anymore. When these guys told me they are the first with the new gear and they stand out so hard because its so different I was expecting to see banana suits like they have down south lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredladder View Post
    Do they have any video on line of family day. I seen some from 2008 family day and it look like so much fun. I would be happy to wear a banana suit if it meant i get the job..lol. Glade all you guys had fun.
    Not video, but if you go on instagram and search for #fdny you will find more than enough pictures.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Family day was a good time. To many marriage proposals though. After the first one the jig is up!....
    But they managed to pull off a triple rescue pickup proposal. A triple! Who would have thought that was possible.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 05-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Not a good idea if you get hurt in the academy, fail out or if you decide that it's not for you. Always good to keep your options open with your previous employer

Cops don't need to give 2 weeks notice. It's a city job..you can quit 2 days before and still have 1 year to go back
    It's EXACTLY the right idea, if you want this job. If you're on the fence, think it might not be for you, or have doubts in general about being a fireman, DON'T TAKE IT. You're using up a list number a guy who's waited his whole life to get on the job could've had. And you certainly shouldn't pass it up because you won't be able to give notice. If you get hurt, heal up and recycle. Decide what it is you want and go get it. There's no room on this job for guys who can't commit to a course of action. If you can give notice, do so. But don't hurt your chances of getting on in the process.

And you missed the point about cops. I was saying that guys on here now who are already cops probably weren't able to give 2 weeks notice when they became cops; not that they had to give notice to the city to come over to fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree. I just want to keep my options open. I put in a lot of year on my job just don't want to f$$k them over. I save 3 week of vacation from last year so i have 7 week this year and some sick time. So hopefully I can get it all approve and still have a month to put in for a leave.
    Nothing wrong with keeping options open, provided you have time in the bank to do so like you say you have. Just know you could get a call the night before a class starts telling you to report the next morning. Are you going to turn it down because you haven't given notice?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would never turn down becoming a fireman if i could not give notice to my job. At least now I have a ideal of how the process work so i can inform my current job. Am trying to work part time at my current job after the academy.
    Do what you will. But I'm telling you right now there's no way you're going to be able to work a two month advance notice based on the 1.5 mile run. You'll be lucky if you get a week. If you keeping that job part time is based on that, put it out of your head now because it's not going to happen.

Forum Member

I'm gonna approach my job soon about the up coming job, just to give them a heads up. Just in case I get called.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I'm gonna approach my job soon about the up coming job, just to give them a heads up. Just in case I get called.....
    That's a good idea. But I can tell you from experience that it may not matter. I was able to give my boss 6 days notice. Know what he said? "Don't screw up, because you're not coming back here without a full two weeks notice". Now, my old boss was an unbelievable jerk, so most people won't hear that when they give notice. My point is this: if you're trying to work it so you can go back to your old job if you can't get through the academy your approach to this job is all wrong. Make it so there's NO DOUBT you'll get through and you won't need to worry about a fall back. The only option you should be giving yourself is getting through the academy.
    ffbam24 and chadxmerch like this.

Forum Member

That's a good idea. But I can tell you from experience that it may not matter. I was able to give my boss 6 days notice. Know what he said? "Don't screw up, because you're not coming back here without a full two weeks notice". Now, my old boss was an unbelievable jerk, so most people won't hear that when they give notice. My point is this: if you're trying to work it so you can go back to your old job if you can't get through the academy your approach to this job is all wrong. Make it so there's NO DOUBT you'll get through and you won't need to worry about a fall back. The only option you should be giving yourself is getting through the academy.
    Yeah, seriously. I think the reason a bunch of people quit this class in the beginning was that the promotional process had made it relatively easy for them to make into the class. The fact that if you changed your mind or something happened you could head right back to EMS made it easy to say "why not, let me give it a shot." And then a bunch of people got a cold, hard dose of reality in week 1 and back to EMS they went.

You really shouldn't approach this with any concern/worry about how your current job will handle it. It's also very presumptuous to already be planning your side job prospects.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I have heard of people getting fired for telling jobs things like this. In the current economic climate, I would keep it to myself depending on what kind of job you have.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-05-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I have heard of people getting fired for telling jobs things like this. In the current economic climate, I would keep it to myself depending on what kind of job you have.
    I would approach my union president first before i aprroach HR.

Forum Member

It's so unreal to me that people can quit, it shows that they have no heart.

Forum Member

It is always good to prepare for the worst and have more than one option. I understand where Teufelhunden is coming from in regards to having the mind frame that the academy (FDNY) should be the only focus, but life is unpredictable. It is great to be ahead of the game in regards to planning what you guys want to do after you get hired. As we can see, some believe once you get hired, for the next 2-4 years should be dedicated to the job which would allow you to learn as much as you can to be a productive firefighter. But, I believe such accomplishments can be met while pursuing other options outside of the job. You guys current job is so vital right now because it is your bread and butter, so I suggest you guys plan accordingly. If push comes to shove that the FDNY spontaneously call you, than do what you have to do to get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    It's so unreal to me that people can quit, it shows that they have no heart.
    I wouldn't say they don't have heart, I believe it was just an unexpected life experiences/situation they encountered.

Forum Member

I know I have some time to wait but keeping my hopes up and staying in shape. Anybody with a list # in the 3#00 range message me. I would like to be in contact with someone close to my list # thanks.

Thread Information