Like Tree9836Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    For everyone asking if a DQ from another city department can affect you..... The answer is YES! On the package you get from fdny they will ask you if you ever got DQed from another agency, don't lie because if they find out you will be DQed automatically. I currently know a guy who got dqed from NYpd and is now on hold and further investigated in FDNY for that DQ.
    Do you think it would be different if it were from a non-city agency ie the state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    i dont think nypd shares their applicant processing information for whatever thats worth.
    yep they do, with other city agencies, not state. I got DQ'ed by nypd, so I had to answer to that when I went through process for DOC. I was afraid DOC wouldn't hire me, because NYPD stated if you get DQ'ed by them you'll be unhireable by any city agency. DOC knew all about me getting DQ'ed, but they still hired me.

I also went through the process for State court officer, they never brought up my nypd DQ, and they cleared me for the job and put me on the certification list for the next academy, unfortuneately who knows when they will ever hire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    For everyone asking if a DQ from another city department can affect you..... The answer is YES! On the package you get from fdny they will ask you if you ever got DQed from another agency, don't lie because if they find out you will be DQed automatically. I currently know a guy who got dqed from NYpd and is now on hold and further investigated in FDNY for that DQ.
    why did that guy get DQ'ed?

Forum Member

thats pretty interesting - i know guys currently on fd who were dqed by pd and it was not brought up.. did DOC have you bring in a disposition form regarding your DQ from pd?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    why did that guy get DQ'ed?
    Lying about a very small thing in his application. Not getting into details but honestly imo is not important enough to get dqed but I guess NYPD thought different.

Forum Member

The first class went on January 14th, how soon after that did they send out the processing packets to next group of candidates. Waiting for August, the anticipation is killing me lol.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The first class went on January 14th, how soon after that did they send out the processing packets to next group of candidates. Waiting for August, the anticipation is killing me lol.
    Don't quote me on this but I believe I received my packet about one month after the January 2013 class started. And then my investigation date was about a month after receiving my packet. (I know this because I remember my investigation being march 20-something.)

So if they go by that same sort of agenda figure maybe the end of August? Of course none of this is even slightly definite. Purely speculation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Default mutuals

no offense, but this thread is 621 pages, I don't have the time to go through 621 pages just to hope I find 1 simple answer that may or may not have been covered. And also, since I already have a city job, that I would be leaving for FDNY, I was just trying to get a basic idea of what kind of changes I should expect in terms of financial situation and scheduling.

1 of the things that I asked was about mutuals, and since I've been reading a lot of posts from people here who are going through the hiring process but haven't been on the job, I wouldn't of expected the topic of mutuals to even have been brought up here, since that's a topic people on the job would know about as opposed to people who are trying to get on the job.

So excuse me for trying to get a quick answer for a few quick concerns. And I don't know what you would expect from entering an academy, but being someone whose already been through an academy, its a big investment, a lot of time, and especially money as the uniforms cost a fortune, so I was just curious as to a few things that would be of interest to me in the process of leaving my job, and making that investment all over again and basically starting all over again.
    yes you can do mutuals.

When you work 24 hour shifts through mutuals you end up actually going to work about 87 times a year if that helps. That is before sick and vacation time.

You are off more than you work leaving plenty of time for a second job.
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 07-22-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    thats pretty interesting - i know guys currently on fd who were dqed by pd and it was not brought up.. did DOC have you bring in a disposition form regarding your DQ from pd?
    I got Pysch DQ'ed from NYPD... I have no criminal record, a clean driving record, no history of mental issues, never been to a social worker or psych before, I graduated college with a very good GPA (made the deans list)..

Long story short, I applied for NYPD Cadet when I was 19.. a few months before applying to this, I was involved in a situation in which I was attacked by a crazy person after work (I worked in a bad neighborhood at the time). It was a pretty scary experience, and I was alil shook up for a couple of months over it, never went to counseling or anything for it though, but it was a factor and I failed my psych test for Cadet.

4 years later, when going through the process for NYPD, while I was already working 2 different security jobs, and a college graduate, the nypd psych put me on review because I was psych DQ'ed from Cadet as a teen. They put me on review and left me there. Then 6 months later, DOC called me, I went through their process, and never disclosed that I was DQ'ed by nypd, because I wasn't DQ'ed, I was on review.. At my psych interview for DOC, The psych told me he was notified by NYPD that I was psych DQ'ed, and he asked me why I didn't disclose this to DOC. I explained that as far as I knew I was on review, and wasn't notified of being DQ'ed. I had all the credentials to be hired by DOC.

After this interview, I called my NYPD investigator, and she told me I was still on review, and wasn't DQ'ed. I then asked her for a withdrawal form, and told her I want to just with draw so I don't have this hurt me for any time I apply for a job in the future. She told me i'd receive the form to with draw from NYPD in a few weeks... a few weeks later, I never received the with drawal form, but instead I received a letter stating that I was psych DQ'ed because NYPD didn't feel I matched the personality for the job. the letter also stated that this DQ was specific to NYPD and doesn't demonstrate any reasons for me to be DQ'ed from other city employment.

but to answer your question, no DOC just asked me about it, and then that was it.. didn't need any paper work, they asked me about it and then moved on and hired me.. In DOC im making more money than I would of in NYPD so that's a plus.
    Last edited by John246; 07-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    yes you can do mutuals.

When you work 24 hour shifts through mutuals you end up actually going to work about 87 times a year if that helps. That is before sick and vacation time.

mutuals are great in DOC, you can use them to create your own vacations anytime

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Wow, go on vacation and come back to find out I'm going to be "investergated". That's disconcerting, to say the least.

Guys, in the interest of keeping this forum a source of information for guys coming on, I'm going to say my last piece on the subject of PH's. Here it is:

You haven't proven that you belong, you shouldn't have been hired, and I hope with every fiber of my being that someone, ANYONE, with the authority to do so will ensure you don't set foot on Randall's Island until you can score a good mark on the exam. This isn't personal, and I don't care what color you are; it's simply the standard everyone who gets on a rig in this city has had to meet for the honor and privilege of doing so. You haven't earned it, and you haven't demonstrated your willingness to earn it. Period. No fair-minded person on God's green Earth can argue against that very concept.

Having said that, a very unfair-minded person (Judge Garaufis) has seen things your way. So, you will be walked through the Rock, you will find yourself assigned to an FDNY firehouse, and you will, one day, have a very close encounter with the Red Devil. So I implore you, I BEG you, for the good of the men who earned this job and for the good of the public you will be called to give all to protect, EARN IT ON THE BACK END. Be respectful, listen, learn, and understand that you MUST start at the very bottom, as all of us did. That means dishes, brooms, and pranks, but it also means we will teach you everything that we've been taught in order to keep you alive. If you can do that, I assure you we can forgive the PH thing, and that after the very first time you stare down a fire and don't run you will be our brother, same as any other guy who has proven his worth.

That's all I got as far as PHs. Remember that you caught a GIGANTIC break, and be humble. We'll find a way to work with that break provided you don't throw it in our faces. But if you want to be ****** like whymetoo, I guarantee you'll wish that judge had just recused himself and let a guy with a sense of fairness decide your case. Enough said.
    elaborate on what you mean by being investigated.. I thought everyone is "investigated" as part of the process to be hired, so what is disconcerning about your situation and why? are you being further investigated is that it? whats going on?

Forum Member

elaborate on what you mean by being investigated.. I thought everyone is "investigated" as part of the process to be hired, so what is disconcerning about your situation and why? are you being further investigated is that it? whats going on?
    He is already on the job......I just hope some on this forum didn't start any **** for guys, it would be a disgrace if they did.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    yes you can do mutuals.

Wrong. At least in my house. You won't be doing mutuals for a long time. Mutuals are a privilege and not something you'll do until you have 3-6 months in the firehouse, IF there is someone in need of a partner. You shouldn't have a moments thought about a second job, not until you're great at your first job! You think you'll work 24 hours and then be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the B job? Wrong......
    My1Goal and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Wrong. At least in my house. You won't be doing mutuals for a long time. Mutuals are a privilege and not something you'll do until you have 3-6 months in the firehouse, IF there is someone in need of a partner. You shouldn't have a moments thought about a second job, not until you're great at your first job! You think you'll work 24 hours and then be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the B job? Wrong......
    3-6 MONTHS IS no big deal to wait.. on my job they let you start mutual right away, and if you have a bad attendance record then they will not permit you to do mutuals.. I waited about 6 months anyway still I started doing mutuals with this job.

I hope FDNY has some over time.. My job sucks and I want to jump to fdny, but I like that we have a good supply of overtime, so when you hit those months where there's extra expenses for the month, you can do overtime to get through it without feeling the extra burden on your budget.

Forum Member

There will be very little overtime....if any.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Wow, go on vacation and come back to find out I'm going to be "investergated". That's disconcerting, to say the least.
    Considering the timing of your vacation I was afraid that you actually were 'investergated'. Welcome back.

Mutuals: A nice scheduling option that will be given to you at some point, but no walk in the park as a probie. Also I wouldn't expect to even think about a 2nd job until after probation, which is 18 months so....

Forum Member

What day does the July academy class officially start?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    What day does the July academy class officially start?
    I believe they got sworn in yesterday?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Orientation was yesterday, July 29th is the official start.

Forum Member

Some more tips for the new guys:

Any kind of black duffel bag will do. I got something pretty cheap and middle of the road from Modells. You want something reasonably sturdy, but not too big. You will carry that thing every where, all the time, and sometimes have to carry it in pretty uncomfortable ways. You have to manage how much junk you have in there beyond the bare minimum, cause otherwise it gets pretty heavy.

Good ideas: a few garbage bags in case it rains (put your binders and any other loose stuff inside the garbage bags, then inside duffel bag, keeps them from getting ruined),
    anybody who is as pale as I am is going to want a lot of sunscreen for PT for the next few months,
    a big bottle of ibuprofen,
    duct tape,
    sharpie,
    lots of snacks,

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting, but you'll figure it out along the way.

Forum Member

Ahh sunblock. I can only imagine the sunburns esp with the shaved heads.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Got the scoop that mostly all the PHs are in this class going in, only a handfull at best for January are left. Anyone list # 100-1000 train NOW like if you going to the academy because.... You probably will....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Ahh sunblock. I can only imagine the sunburns esp with the shaved heads.
    it sucks bad when it sweats into your eyes.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Up to 1000?? Holy Crap! I called my investigator and she won't even talk to me yet about processing.

Thread Information