Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 498 of 1193 FirstFirst ... 398448488495496497498499500501508548598998 ... LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,960 of 23860
Like Tree9332Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #9941
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    It is always good to prepare for the worst and have more than one option. I understand where Teufelhunden is coming from in regards to having the mind frame that the academy (FDNY) should be the only focus, but life is unpredictable. It is great to be ahead of the game in regards to planning what you guys want to do after you get hired. As we can see, some believe once you get hired, for the next 2-4 years should be dedicated to the job which would allow you to learn as much as you can to be a productive firefighter. But, I believe such accomplishments can be met while pursuing other options outside of the job. You guys current job is so vital right now because it is your bread and butter, so I suggest you guys plan accordingly. If push comes to shove that the FDNY spontaneously call you, than do what you have to do to get hired.
    Yeah, think of it this way: if you don't make the grade like our PH friend here, your second option is to file a lawsuit claiming you didn't make it on because of your skin color. You're the last person on here who should be talking about what you can accomplish through hard work or dedication.

    Guys, please don't pay attention to this clown. Your ONLY focus for the next few years should be firefighting. Your life, and the lives of the men who you'll be on the job with DEPEND on it. Worry about a side job after some time has gone by.

    Remember, any advice that comes from this guy comes from a guy who FAILED to make the grade on the test and had to sue his way on before you put any worth into what he says. He knows jack about what it takes to get on this job, and even less about what it takes to be good at it.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and SouthBK84 like this.


  2. #9942
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I wouldn't say they don't have heart, I believe it was just an unexpected life experiences/situation they encountered.
    They don't have heart; and we don't want them. Or you.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  3. #9943
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    325

    Default

    What happens now for you guys who are finishing up? You have graduation later in the week and then get assigned or do you get assigned before?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  4. #9944
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Yeah, think of it this way: if you don't make the grade like our PH friend here, your second option is to file a lawsuit claiming you didn't make it on because of your skin color. You're the last person on here who should be talking about what you can accomplish through hard work or dedication.

    Guys, please don't pay attention to this clown. Your ONLY focus for the next few years should be firefighting. Your life, and the lives of the men who you'll be on the job with DEPEND on it. Worry about a side job after some time has gone by.

    Remember, any advice that comes from this guy comes from a guy who FAILED to make the grade on the test and had to sue his way on before you put any worth into what he says. He knows jack about what it takes to get on this job, and even less about what it takes to be good at it.
    And then, once that's all said and done; he can dole out all of his knowledge and experience about honor and commitment to all of you and then us.

  5. #9945
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARMYVET211 View Post
    I know I have some time to wait but keeping my hopes up and staying in shape. Anybody with a list # in the 3#00 range message me. I would like to be in contact with someone close to my list # thanks.
    Bro.. Fellow army vet here.. I'm in the low 4000s... Don't know where you sit.. If your high 3000s I'd assume we'd be close.. But if you're low 3000s probably not. Don't know how to messege with my iPhone so I figure id reach out to you here at least..

  6. #9946
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigredladder View Post
    You are right I always prepare for the what if... I can be call for the academy today and they can cancel it tomorrow. I have a family to look out for. But on a better note i talk to my boss and they will allow me to take 5 weeks vacation and then put in for a leave. My boss is also willing to work out a part time schedule base on the days I work at the firehouse. So it all works out. I was also told that i will have to use all vacation and sick time before a leave is approved. 7 week vacation 286 hour of sick...
    You are of course right to make sure your family eats, and no one would begrudge you for it. If you can work all this the right way, do so. But not only is it unadvisable to have a second job right after proby school, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed at all while you're on your probation. Point is, this isn't just a job; it's a way of life. It has to be so because it can get you killed if you treat it as just a means to make money.
    ffbam24 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

  7. #9947
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigredladder View Post
    You are right I always prepare for the what if... I can be call for the academy today and they can cancel it tomorrow. I have a family to look out for. But on a better note i talk to my boss and they will allow me to take 5 weeks vacation and then put in for a leave. My boss is also willing to work out a part time schedule base on the days I work at the firehouse. So it all works out. I was also told that i will have to use all vacation and sick time before a leave is approved. 7 week vacation 286 hour of sick...
    You definitely planned accordingly, and have a great boss who is willing to work with you. Question, do you mean while on leave the first thing that has to be used is your vacation and sick time? When I was working for the city and went on leave, my vacation, sick and comp time was used. Once my time was used up, I pretty much was on leave without pay but had a job to come back too! It will definitely be a blessing to have two incomes coming in. Good luck.

  8. #9948
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You are of course right to make sure your family eats, and no one would begrudge you for it. If you can work all this the right way, do so. But not only is it unadvisable to have a second job right after proby school, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed at all while you're on your probation. Point is, this isn't just a job; it's a way of life. It has to be so because it can get you killed if you treat it as just a means to make money.
    More than likely the second job will be the main purpose of making money and the FDNY job will be considered his career job (way of life) that is taking more serious based on what you just said. I wasnt aware that a second job is not an option while on probation based on FDNY policy. I believe it is more of a recommendation not to have a second job while in proby school.

  9. #9949
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigredladder View Post
    You are correct once I use up my vaction and sick time my leave will kick in with out pay. Having two incomes is definitely a blessing. Just closed on my first house 4 months ago so any extra income will help.
    Have you pass your cpat already?
    Yes, I passed my CPAT was 4/27. Congratulation on the closing of your first house.

  10. #9950
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    More than likely the second job will be the main purpose of making money and the FDNY job will be considered his career job (way of life) that is taking more serious based on what you just said. I wasnt aware that a second job is not an option while on probation based on FDNY policy. I believe it is more of a recommendation not to have a second job while in proby school.
    You weren't aware that you had to pass the test to get on, either. But just for kicks, I'll straighten you out. You are not permitted to work what is called "extra departmental employment" or EDE while on probation. When you finish probation (or, in your case, IF you finish) you then must submit a request to do so. I suppose you could submit it while a probie, but nobody's going to approve it.

    Do us all a favor and stop talking to the guys who earned their spot like you belong. You're passing bad info, and you have about as much clue about what goes on with the job as a five year old.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  11. #9951
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You weren't aware that you had to pass the test to get on, either. But just for kicks, I'll straighten you out. You are not permitted to work what is called "extra departmental employment" or EDE while on probation. When you finish probation (or, in your case, IF you finish) you then must submit a request to do so. I suppose you could submit it while a probie, but nobody's going to approve it.

    Do us all a favor and stop talking to the guys who earned their spot like you belong. You're passing bad info, and you have about as much clue about what goes on with the job as a five year old.

    Yes, form BP 150 (EDE) has to be filed out and sent to chief of uniformed personnel. Thanks for the information. For the guys that have interest on this topic, there you have it. If what teufelhunden36 is saying is true, that they are going to deny your request, I am not sure what other options you may have. Your best bet is to take the chances and still submit the form.

    teufelhunden36, you are a great member to this forum. Keep up the good work!!

  12. #9952
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    157

    Default

    how about working off the books? Thats what most FF do

    Looks like that would be your only option while on probation

  13. #9953
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    For the medical, do we have to list if we've ever just went to the doctor because your back hurt or you felt depressed?

  14. #9954
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    For the medical, do we have to list if we've ever just went to the doctor because your back hurt or you felt depressed?
    No, as long as you didn't have surgery on your back or take certain kind of medication, etc.

  15. #9955
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Yes, form BP 150 (EDE) has to be filed out and sent to chief of uniformed personnel. Thanks for the information. For the guys that have interest on this topic, there you have it. If what teufelhunden36 is saying is true, that they are going to deny your request, I am not sure what other options you may have. Your best bet is to take the chances and still submit the form.

    teufelhunden36, you are a great member to this forum. Keep up the good work!!

    Dude, who are you to give advice about what your best options are. Try to be a little more humble. You don't know the first thing about doing things the right way on this job because you're not on this job. You're still at wannabe status. Teuflehund IS a good member of this forum because he offers good advice and the perspective of a person who is one this job. If you have a hard time taking information from someone based on how it's presented, this is going to be a tough environment to adapt to.

    LISTEN UP EVERYONE..... You are not on this job to have another job. You are here to be a fireman, at least I hope you are. Get on, focus all of your attention to being the best you can be and learn all that you can. For all intents you are not allowed to work while on probation. It's just not a good idea. Please, just take some good advice from someone who's been he for a little while. Do not work on the side until your are off probation! Not to mention, you will not have the same flexibility in schedule that everyone else does, not for a while. Do this, get great at it and then worry about what you are going to do on the side. If you can't make ends meet, than you need to find another job. Tens of thousands of people before you got by while making this the greatest job in the world, you can too.

    This first, everything else second. I've said it many times before, this isn't a job, it's a lifestyle. If you can't live it, it's not for you.

  16. #9956
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hey I am here playing the waiting game also i am in the low 3000. Just trying to keep occupied with work and other activities to keep my mind from becoming obsessed with the forum. Not sure exactly when it will be close for our time...
    Good Luck to every one and congrats to the process so far...
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 3XXX

  17. #9957
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Jesus are we really discussing 2nd jobs already? Guess that whole Academy and probationary period was no sweat!

  18. #9958
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Jesus are we really discussing 2nd jobs already? Guess that whole Academy and probationary period was no sweat!
    They are talking about 2nd job/side jobs and the 1st one is not even guaranteed as yet....
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 3XXX

  19. #9959
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    picked the perfect time to get my first moving violation ticket (not speeding). How screwed am I?

  20. #9960
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Dude, who are you to give advice about what your best options are. Try to be a little more humble. You don't know the first thing about doing things the right way on this job because you're not on this job. You're still at wannabe status. Teuflehund IS a good member of this forum because he offers good advice and the perspective of a person who is one this job. If you have a hard time taking information from someone based on how it's presented, this is going to be a tough environment to adapt to.

    LISTEN UP EVERYONE..... You are not on this job to have another job. You are here to be a fireman, at least I hope you are. Get on, focus all of your attention to being the best you can be and learn all that you can. For all intents you are not allowed to work while on probation. It's just not a good idea. Please, just take some good advice from someone who's been he for a little while. Do not work on the side until your are off probation! Not to mention, you will not have the same flexibility in schedule that everyone else does, not for a while. Do this, get great at it and then worry about what you are going to do on the side. If you can't make ends meet, than you need to find another job. Tens of thousands of people before you got by while making this the greatest job in the world, you can too.

    This first, everything else second. I've said it many times before, this isn't a job, it's a lifestyle. If you can't live it, it's not for you.

    I wasnít aware I showed any form of disgust with the important information presented to me or that I showed that I am not able to handle attitude, name calling, childish attacks, etc. I guess you expected me to say, yes sir, not sir, whatever you say is correct sir, etc. I think you should take your own advice and humble yourself. Who are you to tell me I should not provide my opinion. Further, you just repeated what I said about Teuflehund, he is a good member too this forum. I am assuming you thought I was being sarcastic, but I wasnít. I guess you would have felt a little better if I would have added your name also.

    By all means, my opinion is just an opinion just like everyone else on this forum. Do what is best for you while pursuing your dreams to become a firefighter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 47 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 36 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. bk60191983,
  3. DannyD0pe,
  4. emtnyc2012,
  5. IAAZNY,
  6. Jack Nolan,
  7. JDNY13,
  8. JRodPizza ,
  9. k20dc2,
  10. mocon337,
  11. SI91

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts