Like Tree10539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I was looking through the Norman's Hall text and they had a bunch of Q's on it. I didn't think we would be tested on that, wanted to be sure though.
    Yeah I know for sure that the reading comprehension sections are 8th grade level. Just practice long multiplication and division and you're good. They'll ask you what's 80% of 3.5?

Add 54234.265 and 411.5526, something like that you know?

Just practice until your test. I'll be honest I couldn't remember how to carry over values when I was doing long multiplication haha, don't underestimate it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by metsclinch1 View Post
    does anyone know which parts of test will be individually timed?? and also did anyone else notice any mistakes on the FDNY answer guide?? (on the nutrition facts comp quiz they say the answer for #11 grams of carbs is answer c. 3 when it really is d. 31 or am I missing something?? lol)
    Each section is individually timed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Yeah I know for sure that the reading comprehension sections are 8th grade level. Just practice long multiplication and division and you're good. They'll ask you what's 80% of 3.5?

Just practice until your test. I'll be honest I couldn't remember how to carry over values when I was doing long multiplication haha, don't underestimate it.

I hear you. We probably all learned this stuff a good 10 years ago, if not longer.

One Q I'm really curious about, maybe the guys going tomorrow will be able/willing to clarify is how many Q's are going to be on the exam. I assume over 100 given that we have 4 hours to complete the exam.

Forum Member

Good Luck to all the guys taking the test tomorrow. But you should all be sound asleep by now so I guess you wont see this tonight haha.

To the guys still preparing, I would have to agree with what the other guys on here said, don't take the math section lightly just because it is basic arithmetic. I'm going to college right now and figured I could breeze right through it... Wrong!! I had to have my middle school aged brother help me out. lol

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Good Luck to all the guys taking the test tomorrow. But you should all be sound asleep by now so I guess you wont see this tonight haha.

To the guys still preparing, I would have to agree with what the other guys on here said, don't take the math section lightly just because it is basic arithmetic. I'm going to college right now and figured I could breeze right through it... Wrong!! I had to have my middle school aged brother help me out. lol
    It's crazy how most of us forgot how to do this crap. I don't know how strong they will go on the math but they should of let us use a calculator considering the fact that we will be using it every day of our lives. You don't see anyone now in a days with a pencil and paper calculating shiet. Well my opinion anyways I mean if you ask any firefighter a math question like this they prob will pull out a calculator I know i would.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-14-2012 at 10:48 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to all taking the test starting tomorrow.
    Don't overthink it.
    (Personally, I don't think there will be many 100's on this exam based on the personality questions.)
    Remember, there are no right and wrong answers to those and that's going to affect your score one way or another.
    Hang tough.

Forum Member

I don't think I could do long division right now. I need to practice it all. On which study did they suggest this type of math would be on it? Did you guys get the the type of math to study from the vulcan review? or from the city review?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 03-14-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I don't think I could do long division right now. I need to practice it all. On which study did they suggest this type of math would be on it? Did you guys get the the type of math to study from the vulcan review? or from the city review?
    The Vulcan math and city math were different. The city math was pretty basic. It was simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. But they had at as word problems sought of so it made it a little more confusing. The Vulcan math was straight forward equations but it was fractions, decimals, percents, and some simple square roots.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

That's funny I found the vulcans math way easier than the city's PDF math tutorial. Maybe yOur right it must be the wording that made it confusing for me. Either that or I must be dyslectic lol.

Forum Member

Yeah to everyone taking it today best of luck most definitely

As for the personality section, I cannot stress this enough..
    DO NOT MAKE YOURSELF LOOK PERFECT, it will hurt you

"I've never told a little white lie"
    It's ironic because if you say that you never have, you come off as a liar, but if you admit you've told little white lies you show that your honest...crazy logic huh? Correct answer there is DISAGREE.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The Vulcan math and city math were different. The city math was pretty basic. It was simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. But they had at as word problems sought of so it made it a little more confusing. The Vulcan math was straight forward equations but it was fractions, decimals, percents, and some simple square roots.
    Yeah that's not bad at all, I personally wouldn't trust what the Vulcans are saying about anything regarding the exam. I feel the 2 cram courses I went to were very insightful, and even mentioned that the material that the Vulcans were offering was too high of a grade level. 8th grade level reading comprehension and math. Remember that.

Forum Member

Yeah that's not bad at all, I personally wouldn't trust what the Vulcans are saying about anything regarding the exam. I feel the 2 cram courses I went to were very insightful, and even mentioned that the material that the Vulcans were offering was too high of a grade level. 8th grade level reading comprehension and math. Remember that.

I have no idea what to make of this. I agree with you guys about the city work being easier than The Vulcans. I even found the city's video Q's easier. BUT, The Vulcan's did know more about 6019's exam than any other prep class so I'm pretty confused. I guess it's better to prepare for the more difficult Q's and be surprised with easier Q's on the day of the exam.

Forum Member

I have no idea what to make of this. I agree with you guys about the city work being easier than The Vulcans. I even found the city's video Q's easier. BUT, The Vulcan's did know more about 6019's exam than any other prep class so I'm pretty confused. I guess it's better to prepare for the more difficult Q's and be surprised with easier Q's on the day of the exam.
    Yeah that's a good point. When's your test?

Forum Member

Yeah that's a good point. When's your test?

April 19th. How about you?

Forum Member

April 19th. How about you?
    This saturday 12 noon north brooklyn. Anxious but ready you know?

Forum Member

One Q I'm really curious about, maybe the guys going tomorrow will be able/willing to clarify is how many Q's are going to be on the exam. I assume over 100 given that we have 4 hours to complete the exam.
    That I'm curious about myself. They say that 4 hours is more than enough time to finish the exam so it's anybody's guess.

Forum Member

This saturday 12 noon north brooklyn. Anxious but ready you know?

Oh ya. I definitely want to get this over with. I think calming my nerves the day of the exam will be the toughest thing.

Forum Member

I was at the city prep last night and they mentioned the test is 5 timed sections 3 of which are the video sections. Also no one asked about the personality section of the exam so I have a feeling a lot of people are going into this exam with no idea that it's going to be on the exam.

Forum Member

Oh ya. I definitely want to get this over with. I think calming my nerves the day of the exam will be the toughest thing.
    I'm nervous about how I'm going to sleep the night before lol. Once I get into the exam itself my nerves will calm quickly.

Forum Member

Video, Math, Reading Comp, Info Ordering, Personality....so if Video is 3, Personality is 1, that leaves Reading/Math/Info Ordering for 1 section.

I wonder if that means there will be less questions for the 3 combined in to 1 section.

Re: sleep the night before, I'm with you. My exam is at 8AM, I tried to change it to 4 but couldn't. Only wanted to change it because I'm sure I won't be able to get a good nights sleep unless maybe I work out for 2 hours that day.

Forum Member

I would not like it at all if my test was at 4pm. I'd rather go in early and get it over with. Mine is at noon so it's right in between. This is my last shot at the FDNY so for me there's no room for error.

I agree, once you start taking the exam, the nerves will calm, just the anticipation and the build up to the day of the exam is excruciating.

As for the video sections, each section has one video, which you are allowed to view up to 3 times. 3 videos, reading comprehension/math, and the personality questions. That's the entire test.

Forum Member

I would not like it at all if my test was at 4pm. I'd rather go in early and get it over with. Mine is at noon so it's right in between. This is my last shot at the FDNY so for me there's no room for error.

I agree, once you start taking the exam, the nerves will calm, just the anticipation and the build up to the day of the exam is excruciating.

As for the video sections, each section has one video, which you are allowed to view up to 3 times. 3 videos, reading comprehension/math, and the personality questions. That's the entire test.

Are you lumping Info Ordering in with the Reading Comp though? The Vulcan's spent a good amount of time going over this section.

Forum Member

Are you lumping Info Ordering in with the Reading Comp though? The Vulcan's spent a good amount of time going over this section.
    Yeah the reading comp. will consist of a bunch of different types of questions.
    (math, deduction, info ordering, problem solving, and reading passages)

Forum Member

The Vulcan's didn't cover deductive reasoning, is that something the FDNY tutorial went over?

On a separate note, does anyone have a copy of the LAFD practice test PSI gave out? I was trying to follow the links provided earlier but wasn't able to get a copy of it. Thanks.

Forum Member

What's Info ordering? Sorry never got a chance to go to the Vulcan's class and awaiting my call for the prep class. Thanks

Thread Information