Like Tree10647Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

ManhattanMedic, about how long did you wait before you were cashed out for your leave time in EMS?

Forum Member

Who gives a s h it who drops out; just dont let it be you. This job is difficult, it is demanding, it is unforgiving, it is endless, and somehow it is worth it.

Why even talk about what shape other people might be in when they show up for probie school? Its out of your hands. Keep your own house in order, because when you walk past that guard booth in your suit for processing, your plate is going to be so loaded up with new news and responsibilities its going to make your head spin. The pi sser about that is, its the first step in a long, arduous journey thats littered with pitfalls along the way, and theres literally tens of thousands of people hoping and praying that you fail so they can take that coveted spot.

The Post/DN/Natl Enquirer/Onion are all going to say what theyre going to say. So will the people you may or may not know. Part of life, and particularly life in NYC, is the unsolicited opinion which is and always has been, irrelevant. If youre on the right track, you wont hear what any of them have to say, good or bad. Youll be too focused on readying yourself for major challenges- physical and mental- to notice.

Planning, preparation, sacrifice and luck. This is your new religion. Its up to you to come get the sacrament.
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 07-28-2013 at 03:15 AM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Way to go for digging up that awesome nugget. Go do your thing on the Island already. ANd change your name to FDNY4Now.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Actually you are the one that's wrong.

Fdny fireman that transfers to Nassau or Suffolk pd would have their years count upfront to count towards the minimum years to retire. Confirmed this with my buddy on Nassau pd. He had several fdny fireman in his academy class. You transfer your money from the fdny pension to the NYPFRS....ny state police and fire retirement system. One in his pct had 6 years with fd so after he got hired with Nassau pd he only had to do 14. His years counted towards the minimum years required to retire.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and FuDsNmYc like this.

Forum Member

You can't judge by how they look. I know several people in these classes and otj now who don't "look" like fireman but have and do hold their own without a problem. It's an easier job being taller and fitter/skinnier than being short and having higher show muscles. We're the ones who will fit into confined spaces while the others sit outside and do nothing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but depending on when you joined the pension system as a CO you may be able to convert your pension to tier 2 should you make it to FDNY. When the FDNY Pension rep was explaining the stuff to us he made it sound like any pensionable time in the city/state prior to 7/1/2009 should qualify you to convert your pension to tier 2. Tier 2 means 20 and out, with previous pensionable time counting UP FRONT. Don't bank on this though because I never paid that much attention to this stuff because I don't qualify for it.

In a certain amount of time after leaving the other city agency for fire you would be cashed out of your leave balances. For EMS we get all of our A/L, and comp, but only half of our sick leave. FD does not have "sick time" or "vacation time" that you accrue, so it does not transfer over. Check on what the deal is with your agency. If you lose half or all of your sick leave you may want to start to manage how much you have if you start to go through the process for FD. It would suck to lose 1/2 or all of a lot of sick leave.
    Thanks a lot MM, great info as always...You mentioned that if you have previous pensionable time with the city as a CO with a start date prior to 7/2009 that your time could actually be eligible for transfer to tier 2 and count up front. I assume though that would be only for those currently in uniformed services (i.e. corrections)...I'm with the city since 5/2007 and in the pension system since I started (tier 4), but I'm not in a uniform service. So I'm guessing for me, my time would still only count on the back end and I wouldn't be eligible to make the same jump to tier 2, would you agree based on your knowledge???

Also as far as my leave time goes, I have like over a month and 1/2 A/L accrued and about 2 months S/L. It would definitely suck to lose all that time. I didn't know FD doesn't have A/L and S/L in the same way other agencies do, so thanks for that info. I will take our advice and check with my agency about how that would work...needless to say, none of the above has any bearing on whether I would jump to FD when called lol, I want this job more than anything for the longest time...but nonetheless, it is good to know these details about pension/leave.
    Last edited by MESAman; 07-28-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Forum Member

I was having a discussion about that with my wife bc she said she hoped I learned how to cook in the firehouse and her idea was the city paid the tab for food..and how I should brown bag it every day..

Can someone give me a breakdown of how that works? Do you pay based on rank? Time on the job? Etc..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I was having a discussion about that with my wife bc she said she hoped I learned how to cook in the firehouse and her idea was the city paid the tab for food..and how I should brown bag it every day..

Can someone give me a breakdown of how that works? Do you pay based on rank? Time on the job? Etc..
    I think everyone chips in for groceries, not sure though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I think everyone chips in for groceries, not sure though.
    yes there usually a house tax where you chip in $25 to $50 every 2 weeks from your check to go towards the FH for stuff like coffee, snacks etc....or so im told. You chip in for the food when you work a 24 hr shift as well

Yes if you were ever a member of the pension system prior to July 2009 then you would be eligible to be reinstated to the FDNY tier 2 pension in the 20 and out retirement. If you'd like I have the email for the FDNY pension or you can just wait till your down at metrotech and ask
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 07-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Forum Member

Also I was told, it wouldn't go well if you come in with a brown bag with your own food, while everyone else is cooking something and eating what they served up. Especially if you are a probie, that's what I was told. Work together, sleep together, eat together.....
    FDNY4Life likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltine_jenkins View Post
    ManhattanMedic, about how long did you wait before you were cashed out for your leave time in EMS?
    Hasn't happened yet. Everyone in EMS signs a 1 year leave of absence form that would allow us to return to EMS at any time in that year for whatever reason. Leave balances won't be cashed till after that.

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Thanks a lot MM, great info as always...You mentioned that if you have previous pensionable time with the city as a CO with a start date prior to 7/2009 that your time could actually be eligible for transfer to tier 2 and count up front. I assume though that would be only for those currently in uniformed services (i.e. corrections)...I'm with the city since 5/2007 and in the pension system since I started (tier 4), but I'm not in a uniform service. So I'm guessing for me, my time would still only count on the back end and I wouldn't be eligible to make the same jump to tier 2, would you agree based on your knowledge???

Also as far as my leave time goes, I have like over a month and 1/2 A/L accrued and about 2 months S/L. It would definitely suck to lose all that time. I didn't know FD doesn't have A/L and S/L in the same way other agencies do, so thanks for that info. I will take our advice and check with my agency about how that would work...needless to say, none of the above has any bearing on whether I would jump to FD when called lol, I want this job more than anything for the longest time...but nonetheless, it is good to know these details about pension/leave.
    1. Don't assume because it's not uniform it's no good. I was really given the impression that pretty much anything would count as long as you were in before 7/1/2009.

2. I would assume at any agency you'll get paid your A/L, but there's no way you get all of your S/L so... cough cough, maybe you should burn some off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

There is a house tax every pay period to pay for coffee, ketchup, sugar, etc. Everyone pays the same amount, no one is exempt. On a daily basis the supplies for meals are bought and then the cost is split evenly amongst everyone working.

Forum Member

Yea in the ems world they'll only payout for half of your left over SL and AL so as MM said there was a sudden rash of sickness/OT the few weeks before the class started.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=John246;1378546]Im a C.O, im in the Tier 4 pension (20 and out) are you sure If I transfer over my time will count up front, because I thought now it always goes at the back end, and I was anticipating starting FDNY and having to start over a full 20 year career and push my retirement back, but leave with a 20+ pension with my DOC time at the back[/QUOTE

Your time will count on the front end my BOLD brother in blue. I too am a CO. Our Tier 4 will carry over but our vaction, and pay scale will go back to starting pay.

I also worked for health and hospitals corp. for 7 years which is a non uniform title before i came to the DOC. I will get that on the back end. So when if i stay for 20 with FD. I will have 27 years in the pention. Non of my vacation carried over to Corrections, but I cashed it out.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Also I was told, it wouldn't go well if you come in with a brown bag with your own food, while everyone else is cooking something and eating what they served up. Especially if you are a probie, that's what I was told. Work together, sleep together, eat together.....
    "Brown bagging it" is UNACCEPTABLE. It's a sure fire way to become an outcast. After handling emergencies and the training that goes along with it, meals are an essential part of your experience. We live together for up to 24 hrs at a clip and the stress relief that comes with sitting down and sharing a meal and a few laughs helps get through the toughest of days. It builds a bond. We cook, we clean we share the work. The firehouse is a team. Conform, don't expect IT to conform to you.

The city doesn't pay a dime. We split the cost evenly among ourselves. If you don't like what's served, keep your mouth shut, pay your share and make a peanut butter and jelly.

Notice the theme here......together, as in team, as in a unit. There are no individuals here.
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    "Brown bagging it" is UNACCEPTABLE. It's a sure fire way to become an outcast. After handling emergencies and the training that goes along with it, meals are an essential part of your experience. We live together for up to 24 hrs at a clip and the stress relief that comes with sitting down and sharing a meal and a few laughs helps get through the toughest of days. It builds a bond. We cook, we clean we share the work. The firehouse is a team. Conform, don't expect IT to conform to you.

The city doesn't pay a dime. We split the cost evenly among ourselves. If you don't like what's served, keep your mouth shut, pay your share and make a peanut butter and jelly.

Notice the theme here......together, as in team, as in a unit. There are no individuals here.
    There's no problem with that on my part..

Forum Member

"If you have a food allergy, we should know, really, that's important. We don't want to kill you. If you don't like something... we don't care, and if you're smart you'll keep that to yourself."
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Default fd

Hopefully everyone can get in before the city settles a new contract with the uniformed unions. If they follow the latest trends they will sell out the unborn. Possibly all new hires would have to pay into their medical (probably 15%) and make the stretch to top pay longer than 5 years.

Forum Member

Hopefully everyone can get in before the city settles a new contract with the uniformed unions. If they follow the latest trends they will sell out the unborn. Possibly all new hires would have to pay into their medical (probably 15%) and make the stretch to top pay longer than 5 years.

Oh, that's what we do huh? Eat the unborn? You sure see a lot from the outside looking in.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Oh, that's what we do huh? Eat the unborn? You sure see a lot from the outside looking in.....
    if you have been paying attention to new surrounding contracts in NY state...yes. And by they i mean the city

Forum Member

You mean like Suffolk county did with their PD last year? No.

Forum Member

Guys, what's the tier for the new FD candidates? Is it tier 3 like the pd? Sorry if this has been covered here already. Thanks.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    this is a dumb question
    Why is this a dumb question? Do you have any idea what Sleep Apnea is?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Guys, what's the tier for the new FD candidates? Is it tier 3 like the pd? Sorry if this has been covered here already. Thanks.
    Tier 6 unless you were in NYCERs by APRIL 1,2012. Its not a great pention tier. Patterson sold out for a radio station. thats why he didnt sign off on extending the Tier 4. It might come down the line that the tier 6 is removed or that you might be able to buy into tier 4. but its doughtfull.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    You mean like Suffolk county did with their PD last year? No.
    Yes I can definitely see that happening with the NYC uniformed forces. Suffolk pd wasn't the only one that has done it so far. I can see for the next round of contracts the city extending top pay to 7 years and making the new guys pay 15pct into their medical. Contract is already expired with pd and fd since July 2010. Anyone looking to get on will hopefully do so before they settle a new contract

Forum Member

Was anybody able to compare those two lists for duplicates? Does the individual with the excel formula skill need both lists on a single sheet?

Thread Information