Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 506 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 64064564965035045055065075085095165566061006 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,120 of 24131
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    you mean under you? thanks
    No. Over you... Lol joking. Yea dumbbell under you touch then extend your arms all the way up. That's 1.

Forum Member

thanks lol.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Brooklynborn, clear up your inbox!!
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

hey guys, I havent posted in a few months but have been keeping up daily and want to say congrats to all of you who are on your way to living out your dreams.

Im in the 900s on the OC list so am anticipating that I will receive my letter to start my process when the July class enters the Academy. I have a major issue that i need advice with from those of who have gone through your medicals already as well as those of you OTJ.

I had surgery on my shoulder in 2005 to repair a severe labrum tear that i suffered from my football days. The surgery went well and i was good as new until about 6 months ago. Since then ive had good days and really bad bad days. the shoulder grings and clicks upon certain motions and sometimes is very painful. so figured id go to the doc to get it checked out before i showed up for my medical and they heard the clicking/grinding that the shoulder makes and turn me away. For the record, it is stable and does not slip. i can work out moderately without thinking it will disclocate, however the pain usually persists.

I got my MRI results back today and the doc said that i have a very slight tear of the labrum which can be repaired arthoscopically and will put me back 3-6 months for a full recovery, which turns out to be right around when im expecting my medical to be. I also have thickening of a tendon which he said will also be corrected with the surgery. The doc told me that its not a neccessary surgery for a normal person but for the strenuous life of a firefighter he suggests it so that i wont have anything to worry about assuming i get on the job.

My question is.... do i fix it and hope im fully recovered my my medical??
    and if i am, will they fail me for needing a surgery, even if it corrected th issue??

as im typing this i feel absolutley fine with no pain so im driving myself crazy even thinking about surgery. i just dont want the FDNY to say i should have had it done

Sorry for the long post but i would appreciate any and all feedback on how they would view this come medical come. As all of you on here, i would do anythign for this job and dont want to make a wrong choice that would ruin my chances. thank you guys so much in advance for the help!

Forum Member

anyone have a weight vest there willing to sell?

Forum Member

Hey firehopefull88, I'm sure others will chime in, but if it were me, I would get it fixed. Especially if the doctor is saying it will give you problems due to the ff job. I would get it done ASAP so that your rehab will start right after. They will find out about the first surgery , don't know if they can contact your doctor, but if they do, what will the doctor tell them about your shoulder?
    I wish you the best, and maybe some other opinions will come your way so you can make the right decision. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Hey firehopefull88, I'm sure others will chime in, but if it were me, I would get it fixed. Especially if the doctor is saying it will give you problems due to the ff job. I would get it done ASAP so that your rehab will start right after. They will find out about the first surgery , don't know if they can contact your doctor, but if they do, what will the doctor tell them about your shoulder?
    I wish you the best, and maybe some other opinions will come your way so you can make the right decision. Good luck!

thanks for the reply FFwnt2b. my doctor from 2005 is currently off the job due to personal issues. i havent seen him since 2005. my new ortho would 100% sign off on me being able to perform the job if everything goes as planned. he already told me thats what he expects.

he offered another treatment option for the tendon only, which is only a 6 week recovery period. this would not repair the labrum but he said that the tear is so minor that it may not even need more then a cleanup.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Firehopeful88, get it done dude. If you don't they will find out no doubt about it. Now do you know if you have what's called bankart tears? If so then this will pose a problem not only for ff but for you in general. As we all age we tend to wear out the labrum now in your case your already making noise and had a prior surgery. Firefighting in general takes a toll on the body for a healthy person now imagine if you don't get it corrected, that can pose a problem for your company men and the lives of others if something where to go wrong at a job. Don't just do it for the job, do it for yourself man. Remember that the medical office takes these matters by a case by case so your outcome may not be the same for others. Just get the dang surgery, you have a good list number don't risk it.
    Last edited by FdnytolifeE293; 05-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Firehopeful88, get it done dude. If you don't they will find out no doubt about it. Now do you know if you have what's called bankart tears? If so then this will pose a problem not only for ff but for you in general. As we all age we tend to wear out the labrum now in your case your already making noise and had a prior surgery. Firefighting in general takes a toll on the body for a healthy person now imagine if you don't get it corrected, that can pose a problem for your company men and the lives of others if something where to go wrong at a job. Don't just do it for the job, do it for yourself man. Remember that the medical office takes these matters by a case by case so your outcome may not be the same for others. Just get the dang surgery, you have a good list number don't risk it.

im not sure if its a bankart tear. the MRI 'suggests' a tear and my doc said that usually means its very minor, otherwise it would state the size of the tear. he made it seem like i would be good as new after the rehab and since hes assuming its a minor tear that the surgery will not be severe and my recovery wouldnt take the full 6 months.

If the doc can sign off to me being healthy come medical time and i can perform any tasks/movements/lifts that they ask of me then can they fail me?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    thanks for the reply FFwnt2b. my doctor from 2005 is currently off the job due to personal issues. i havent seen him since 2005. my new ortho would 100% sign off on me being able to perform the job if everything goes as planned. he already told me thats what he expects.

he offered another treatment option for the tendon only, which is only a 6 week recovery period. this would not repair the labrum but he said that the tear is so minor that it may not even need more then a cleanup.
    Listen, you WILL put your shoulders through the grinder on this job. Don't lie or omit it just to get on knowing it could go out on you at any time. It puts our lives and the lives of those we protect in jeopardy. Get the surgery done, get your clean bill of health, and the doctor will look at your paperwork, hum, then clear you. That simple. We are human beings and human beings break and get fixed; the doctors know this. As long as you prove full recovery and are signed off as good to go by your doctor, you're good.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Listen, you WILL put your shoulders through the grinder on this job. Don't lie or omit it just to get on knowing it could go out on you at any time. It puts our lives and the lives of those we protect in jeopardy. Get the surgery done, get your clean bill of health, and the doctor will look at your paperwork, hum, then clear you. That simple. We are human beings and human beings break and get fixed; the doctors know this. As long as you prove full recovery and are signed off as good to go by your doctor, you're good.
    Thanks Teufelhunden, the last thing i want to do is put lives on the line. Ive been going back and forth with this for a few days but Im going to go through with the surgery and then bust my *** to get back in the condition that i need to be in to excel at the job.

Forum Member

Thanks Teufelhunden, the last thing i want to do is put lives on the line. Ive been going back and forth with this for a few days but Im going to go through with the surgery and then bust my *** to get back in the condition that i need to be in to excel at the job.
    to echo teufelhuden's comment, no question get it done. I had a bankhart procedure done in 2005 so I did a ton of research and asking around on this. I know of guys who have gotten otj with this type of procedure done. The doctor will have you tested, you'll take an mri, and if they see a tear you're in trouble. youll also need copies of the post op surgery report (both surgeries in your case), and a note from the operating dr clearing you. if you take care of it now and are healthy, you have a shot. if you show up to your med with even a partial tear in the shoulder you prob dont. also, you'll prob have to accept if you hurt the shoulder otj it will be considered a pre-existing injury. just something to keep in mind.

dont rush, take your rehab seriously.

Forum Member

Get a second opinion and do tons of research, then make your decision. My buddy is an Ortho Doc and knows of Docs that push surgery and some that believe it should be prevented at all costs. Doctors are intelligent people, but people all the same. Become well informed about the Pros and Cons, what could go wrong, statistics, etc.....

Good Luck!

When you take the fitness test. Do they hold your feet when you do your situps?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    When you take the fitness test. Do they hold your feet when you do your situps?
    Yea they do. Hands crossed behind your back, fingers have to touch the floor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Yea they do. Hands crossed behind your back, fingers have to touch the floor.
    Head* I meant.

Thanks for the info. For any guys who are still wondering if they are holding a practice run at the cpat training due to lack of attendees. They are not. You will complete the cpat course and they will give you more extra work. Only 6 guys showed up last night. They did however show us where the run was going to be and if anyone wants to practice id be down to participate. Just throwing it out there. I'm already running my 1.5 in less than 12, but it would be good to run it on the exact course to familiarize yourself with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    Thanks for the info. For any guys who are still wondering if they are holding a practice run at the cpat training due to lack of attendees. They are not. You will complete the cpat course and they will give you more extra work. Only 6 guys showed up last night. They did however show us where the run was going to be and if anyone wants to practice id be down to participate. Just throwing it out there. I'm already running my 1.5 in less than 12, but it would be good to run it on the exact course to familiarize yourself with it.
    Its on Randall's island around the baseball fields? I heard it used to be along the river on the west side but i guess it may have changed. I run around Randall's island twice a week I'd love to have the actual 1.5 mile path confirmed so i can make it part of my run.

Thanks.
    List # 12XX

Yes its right next to the rock. Where the tennis courts are. Lmk if you want to go running
    River6019 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Here's the rumor mill. Now, this is a rumor mill that was started by a chief with 3 stars on his collar, so take it for what it's worth. The next class will begin in the last week of July. There are 150 eligible candidates from EMS. Despite the 3:2 court order, the rest of the class will be comprised of quota hires. Right now, 60 people have passed medicals from the judges list. They will not start hiring off of the OC because they don't want the clock to start when they won't be hiring many off the list.

Like I said, rumors.....we shall see.
    If this rumor is true then it is disgusting to think that these "priority" jerks will actually get to the rock before the top guys on the OC list.

Priority hires PLEASE do us all a favor and just take the money and run !!!

Thread Information