Like Tree11298Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    All unions concerned are working VERY hard to adjust the pension tier to reverse the atrocities that were committed when tier 6 was adopted. I doubt the additional years of service will be reduced back to 20, but everyone is optimistic about LODI and LODD benefits.
    I hear Tier 2 was really ****ty when it first came out too but they got around to fixing it. Hopefully they won't take my entire career to fix this discrepancy though ....

Forum Member

general question about side jobs during the academy.

i was less than 50 people away from getting in the only class from 6019 and things were alot different for me back then. now i have a mortgage and a family to support. i want this job more than anything but will be taking a huge paycut when i hopefully get called next year. even if i can get a small job on the weekends even if its 1 day (it would be a big help). even if its delivering pizza or something. how is that whole idea thought about in the academy? thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    Should be on now.
    thanks buddy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    general question about side jobs during the academy.

i was less than 50 people away from getting in the only class from 6019 and things were alot different for me back then. now i have a mortgage and a family to support. i want this job more than anything but will be taking a huge paycut when i hopefully get called next year. even if i can get a small job on the weekends even if its 1 day (it would be a big help). even if its delivering pizza or something. how is that whole idea thought about in the academy? thanks
    I'm not going to tell you you can't work during the academy, but it's not a good idea nd you're not really going to have time. I'm fairly certain it's technically prohibited. If you're doing something off the books, will they know? No, but remember, if you get hurt outside of work you're gonna get canned.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I don't think legally they can stop you from working a side job but if you get hurt you are screwed.

Food for thought as well, most guys I know who have gone through it said they are so exhausted by Friday that the thought of doing anything over the weekend besides relaxing and getting a head start on the next weeks reading was a crazy idea to them.

Forum Member

I'm not going to tell you you can't work during the academy, but it's not a good idea nd you're not really going to have time. I'm fairly certain it's technically prohibited. If you're doing something off the books, will they know? No, but remember, if you get hurt outside of work you're gonna get canned.
    Based on that last sentence, it would be smart to stay away from any competitive sports during the academy as well right?

Forum Member

You have to agree to a stipulation that you will not work a second job if you are in the fire academy - I believe it's in the probie manual. You may not get caught if it's on the books, but it's still a possibility and if you are caught then I'd venture to say you are out. Is delivering pizza on the weekend worth it? Start saving now - it's 4 and a half months. Everybody should make sure to save 6 months worth of their expenses anyway just in case any situation arises.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Based on that last sentence, it would be smart to stay away from any competitive sports during the academy as well right?
    You're gonna be playing competitive sports for the rest of your career for a firehouse that you'll love. I think you can survive 5 months without playing lol. And 100% not worth the risk. I quit my summer softball team just because even that was too risky. Just my opinion though, do you!
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I don't think legally they can stop you from working a side job but if you get hurt you are screwed.

Food for thought as well, most guys I know who have gone through it said they are so exhausted by Friday that the thought of doing anything over the weekend besides relaxing and getting a head start on the next weeks reading was a crazy idea to them.

They can legally stop you. Only until recently you needed permission from Metrotech to work any side job at all. Now you need that permission for jobs that are a potential conflict of interest. Including fire alam system work, inspection work and being a Volly.

Forum Member

Now that this new class went in and im in the 800 range ive been checking the mailbox every day, Im just ready to get this process started already
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Did anyone else see the the new probie with what appears to be a 6019 tattoo on his forearm in the daily news? or am i seeing things.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuDsNmYc View Post
    Did anyone else see the the new probie with what appears to be a 6019 tattoo on his forearm in the daily news? or am i seeing things.
    Just looked and couldn't see any tats.

Forum Member

Any military guys have an idea as to how many active duty guys are in hiring range? I know it's a vague question, but I was just wondering if that could have a potential effect on me getting reached sooner than later. And yes I am aware that if they come back and have a higher number I'd be bumped back, before someone has to be a hero, take this the wrong way, and call me disrespectful. -_-
    Last edited by mocon337; 07-31-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Whats up men/women, heres an FDNY article from todays Daily News paper...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1413305

Forum Member

They can legally stop you. Only until recently you needed permission from Metrotech to work any side job at all. Now you need that permission for jobs that are a potential conflict of interest. Including fire alam system work, inspection work and being a Volly.
    Ah ok, wasn't sure on it was just thinking from a legal stand point. I can't imagine doing anything else anyway.

Since the day I took the test I've stopped doing anything that could seriously injur me. Mountain biking, sports, you name it. Yea it really sucks but I'm not taking that chance. Plus my buddy missed two classes cuz he managed to get hurt right before each. He'd kick my *** if I did the same haha. Although being EMS doesn't help me with me no injury hopes
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Alright Ill answer my own question lol..
    Rumors on the forum from various posters:
    320 candidates in this class
    177 EMS
    122 PHs
    17 OC

Actual numbers (as per news):
    318 candidates
    175 EMS
    123 PHs
    20 OC

Pretty damn accurate, good job boys!
    Wow thats pathetic, 2-3 off, you guys have no math skills and aren't fit be fireman. JK
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I thought you couldn't have side job for the whole time you are a probie, which Is 18 months now isn't it?

I would imagine you could qualify for a loan with a city job if it's your only option, but thats just a guess.

I just bought an awesome road bike and haven't bought a helmet yet, and while doing huge speeds in the dark in prospect park the other night, I was thinking wow this is so stupid, even if I don't splatter my brain, I am gonna crush a joint or a collar bone.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 07-31-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Wow thats pathetic, 2-3 off, you guys have no math skills and aren't fit be fireman. JK
    HAHA! sarcasm on this forum; be careful you might get a tongue lashing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I thought you couldn't have side job for the whole time you are a probie, which Is 18 months now isn't it?

I would imagine you could qualify for a loan with a city job if it's your only option, but thats just a guess.

I just bought an awesome road bike and haven't bought a helmet yet, and while doing huge speeds in the dark in prospect park the other night, I was thinking wow this is so stupid, even if I don't splatter my brain, I am gonna crush a joint or a collar bone.
    Yea I ride there all the time but since this is close I take it real easy on the big downhill and focus more attention on the up.

Forum Member

list number 30X here, just received my medical date August 13th guys. Keep up the faith guys!
    HopefulFF, NycQ83, WTRBG and 2 others like this.

Forum Member

Damn...recived an email from joinFDNY, my heart starting pounding thinking it was an email for the cpat courses. Nope..another newsletter update...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gheech View Post
    Damn...recived an email from joinFDNY, my heart starting pounding thinking it was an email for the cpat courses. Nope..another newsletter update...
    I just did the same thing. Hate those damn newsletter emails! Get me every time lol
    Gheech likes this.

Forum Member

Physical mail or email??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I just did the same thing. Hate those damn newsletter emails! Get me every time lol
    Just be glad they seem to have your email right haha.
    NycQ83 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Any idea when an updated list comes out with guys now in the academy and guys that got dropped due to losing extra points ?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Thread Information