Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 509 of 1140 FirstFirst ... 94094594995065075085095105115125195596091009 ... LastLast
Results 10,161 to 10,180 of 22799
Like Tree8965Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I know it was mentioned way back that after this first class went through a 18 week academy they were going to push it back to that ridiculously long 23 week one. Hoping those were just crappy rumors. Anyone going through the process now for July have any info on that? Maybe your investigator said something?
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I know it was mentioned way back that after this first class went through a 18 week academy they were going to push it back to that ridiculously long 23 week one. Hoping those were just crappy rumors. Anyone going through the process now for July have any info on that? Maybe your investigator said something?
    As far has I know its still 18 weeks.

Forum Member

When do you guys get your assignments

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    It does seem like an excessive amount of time between classes. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but maybe since the instructors are still active firemen they want them to be able to get at least a few months a year in the firehouse? I bet Skyline would be able to answer if he was around.
    The commissioner did say it was gonna be two classes per year with a prediction of 8548 list numbers going through in order to meet their hiring mark. I guess the city is really sticking to this two classes per year quota. I guess time will tell, good luck to the upcoming class.
    vekdoggs75 and FDNYGUY28 like this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    have no idea myself, just assumed that they usually have classes in January and July. The city's new fiscal year starts 7/1, not sure if that matters for this.
    In the past, they've started whenever the last class finished. 7 years ago the class was only 13 weeks. The month didn't matter.

It does seem like an excessive amount of time between classes. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but maybe since the instructors are still active firemen they want them to be able to get at least a few months a year in the firehouse? I bet Skyline would be able to answer if he was around.
    I'm sure some of the guys like the chance to return to the field from Proby School, but that's not why the job does it. I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    It was 26 weeks for a brief period, not 23, and they haven't indicated that they'd be going back to this. Hey, if they told ya it was a year long, you'd probably still do it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    When do you guys get your assignments
    They should be receiving company assignments Wednesday.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

It was 26 weeks for a brief period, not 23, and they haven't indicated that they'd be going back to this. Hey, if they told ya it was a year long, you'd probably still do it, right?

Damn right I would still do it! I was only bringing it up because from what I heard when they did that long academy they ran out of things to do and were having guys paint. People said it was a waste of time and that they should have just put all the probies in the field.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

1. The map I posted is the 1.5m test course, which is occasionally thrown in as part of the daily run, but not exclusively. To the guy asking about how we deal with the traffic: It's not as busy on weekdays, and most of the time the place is pretty dead. It's only with the nice weather and the Frieze art bull**** that we have to compete for space.

2. I have heard the rumor that it will be longer for future classes with the reasoning that you guys will have to get a full CFR class, whereas we didn't. Just rumors though.

3. As FDsouthbxNY said assignments are supposed to be handed out Wednesday.

Forum Member

whats the most number of classes that they could fit in a year? if they are that long doesn't seem like they could fit more than 2 even if they wanted to.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    whats the most number of classes that they could fit in a year? if they are that long doesn't seem like they could fit more than 2 even if they wanted to.
    Technically at 16 weeks a class you could have 3 classes in a year back to back with no breaks. I doubt it'll ever be more than 2 a year from the sounds of it.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

I can answer, but its not like my source on the matter knows anything super special. Last week, the word was candidates were failing the medical in droves, and they had to push the start date of the 2nd class back in anticipation of having to test way more people than originally planned. No doctor wants to be on the hook for passing a dead candidate, when their medical shows hypertension in a comfortable environment. Its good that theyre maintaining those standards.

A sad revelation however for people duped by misleading posters and/or outright lies doled out at recruitment events. Thats the way the truth works though; no matter how deep you try to bury it, it eventually bubbles right back up for everybody to see.

Its a tough job. Its not for everyone.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    I can answer, but its not like my source on the matter knows anything super special. Last week, the word was candidates were failing the medical in droves, and they had to push the start date of the 2nd class back in anticipation of having to test way more people than originally planned. No doctor wants to be on the hook for passing a dead candidate, when their medical shows hypertension in a comfortable environment. Its good that theyre maintaining those standards.

A sad revelation however for people duped by misleading posters and/or outright lies doled out at recruitment events. Thats the way the truth works though; no matter how deep you try to bury it, it eventually bubbles right back up for everybody to see.

Its a tough job. Its not for everyone.
    So i guess this is good news for those who are willing to train. We are talking about the Open Competitive Candidates, correct?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

2. I have heard the rumor that it will be longer for future classes with the reasoning that you guys will have to get a full CFR class, whereas we didn't. Just rumors.
    Previous classes of 18 weeks and fewer included full CFR cert., so I think everyone can safely look forward to 18 fun filled weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Previous classes of 18 weeks and fewer included full CFR cert., so I think everyone can safely look forward to 18 fun filled weeks.
    Just passing on what I've heard.

Forum Member

Just FYI guys, PAPD is open for application. It's been a good while. Couldn't hurt I suppose...

http://www.panynj.gov/careers/police-recruitment.html
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Just FYI guys, PAPD is open for application. It's been a good while. Couldn't hurt I suppose...

http://www.panynj.gov/careers/police-recruitment.html
    Hurts to think about the possibility of having to do something other than FD lol, but for sure couldn't hurt. Thanks for the link
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

So i guess this is good news for those who are willing to train. We are talking about the Open Competitive Candidates, correct?
    No, i think it's people on all list who are failing judging by some post that are here. Not because of the shape they are in, but for reasons like heart rate, and medical conditions.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 05-14-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Forum Member

So does this mean that we should expect more people on the OC list to be scheduled for their medical?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    So does this mean that we should expect more people on the OC list to be scheduled for their medical?
    I doubt it. When I was at the rock for CPAT orientation which was the end of Feb they told us the class was most likely starting 7/29 so I'd bet they figured they'd have to process more guys than normal a while ago, and this isn't something new that means they need to go deeper on OC now.

Of course it would be great if I'm wrong though.

Forum Member

Se rumors flew around with the last class. "everyone is failing the medical. These EMS guys aren't passing. The class is getting pushed back....etc etc"
    Everyone went back 2nd time around, passed, class went in right on schedule. Like clockwork. The city is hurting so hard for FFers they aren't waiting any longer than July 29th to get the next class in. My investigator called me back about 2 weeks ago after I left him a message to touch base, it was 8:30 at night and he was at his desk at Metrowreck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Se rumors flew around with the last class. "everyone is failing the medical. These EMS guys aren't passing. The class is getting pushed back....etc etc"
    Everyone went back 2nd time around, passed, class went in right on schedule. Like clockwork. The city is hurting so hard for FFers they aren't waiting any longer than July 29th to get the next class in. My investigator called me back about 2 weeks ago after I left him a message to touch base, it was 8:30 at night and he was at his desk at Metrowreck.

No, no...we're talking about why the class IS starting on July 29th (and not earlier), not the possibility of it starting after the 29th.

Thread Information