Like Tree9527Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I got DQ'd by NYPD as well. FDNY hired me as EMS and then as a FF. if DOC took you there's nothing to really worry about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kngnothen View Post
    I got DQ'd by NYPD as well. FDNY hired me as EMS and then as a FF. if DOC took you there's nothing to really worry about.
    you disclosed to fdny about your nypd dq, or they knew about it?

Forum Member

Quick question: On the Medical for the eye exam are you allowed to wear glasses?? Will you get penalized in anyway if you do and do not have contacts??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JFKills View Post
    Quick question: On the Medical for the eye exam are you allowed to wear glasses?? Will you get penalized in anyway if you do and do not have contacts??
    No glasses.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

Does anyone know how complicated the psychological exam is? What exactly are they expecting from us if a guy who appears to be a stand-up citizen fails?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuDsNmYc View Post
    No glasses.
    Guys that went through the medical for the first class said they allow you wear glasses/contacts for the medical now.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Anyone in academy have any updates on how the first week went?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Almostthere, did class let out early today?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Guys that went through the medical for the first class said they allow you wear glasses/contacts for the medical now.
    yeah I heard the same thing. I have corrective lenses so i really don't need to wear glasses at all. Only to see far distances. I just don't want to go to the medical and screw myself because I was wearing glasses.

Forum Member

Glasses are allowed for the exam.
    Alpha was let out at 16:20.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 08-06-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Forum Member

Double post
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 08-06-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Does anyone know how complicated the psychological exam is? What exactly are they expecting from us if a guy who appears to be a stand-up citizen fails?
    Is not complicated at all. If you're not crazy you'll pass. I think he's talking about failing pd's psych. I took theirs and passed also but its alot more intense. Every candidate has to meet with a psychologist and talk about both their answers on the test and background. Anything is fair game ranging from education, relationships, big focus on drinking, etc. So many people actually fail their psych

Forum Member

This msg. board has been all but devoid of comments from members in the current class. This is GOOD! On the Internet is the last place current recruits should be. It shows that your focus is in the right place. Also, what you're experiencing now doesn't need to be shared in public. Training methods and tactics don't need to be broadcast world wide.

The lack of postings shows that you're focused, working hard and resting afterwards. Well done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuDsNmYc View Post
    No glasses.
    That's not true

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Alpha was let out at 16:20.
    Shut up. That is information you do not need to share.

Forum Member

8 drops so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Is not complicated at all. If you're not crazy you'll pass. I think he's talking about failing pd's psych. I took theirs and passed also but its alot more intense. Every candidate has to meet with a psychologist and talk about both their answers on the test and background. Anything is fair game ranging from education, relationships, big focus on drinking, etc. So many people actually fail their psych
    That's my general fear: hearing about people failing their psych. But no one will disclose why. My general deduction from what I've found on the internet is that candidates either open up too much revealing traits of psychological disorders or candidates appear introverted to the point that they're not meeting the profile of a rescue worker.

I've been told that there is a book that is available for purchase that could guide you through the psych portion but I really don't want to shell out $40 to some guy who is looking to exploit candidates.

What do you guys think? Cough up the dough or do you guys have any sage wisdom to offer?

Forum Member

The psych is just the MMPI. Just take it and be honest. If you try to lie and present yourself in a different light it will see right through it because the test asks the same question 50 different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...lity_Inventory

Forum Member

That's my general fear: hearing about people failing their psych. But no one will disclose why. My general deduction from what I've found on the internet is that candidates either open up too much revealing traits of psychological disorders or candidates appear introverted to the point that they're not meeting the profile of a rescue worker.

I've been told that there is a book that is available for purchase that could guide you through the psych portion but I really don't want to shell out $40 to some guy who is looking to exploit candidates.

What do you guys think? Cough up the dough or do you guys have any sage wisdom to offer?
    taking the psych isn't hard, you just have to give the answers that the psych wants to hear. What jammed me up on the cadet psych was I was too honest.. I answered false to the question "alcoholism is a disease", and that question got the psych digging into me as an alcoholic.. no I don't drink, but I don't think being an alcoholic is a disease, im sorry. a disease to me is cancer and things with your body that go wrong. Another question I was too honest "im more sensitive than my friends".. at the time, me being 19, I thought about my friends who make fun of people with disabilities and are senseless *******s, so I put true I am more sensitive than my friends (in a good way I meant it) again got me jammed up. Another question "women think differently than men" my answer? true.. Again, got me in major trouble, the psych painted me as a guy who can't work with women.. Well women do think differently than men, if you don't believe me come to my job where the female correction officer is on a power trip and starts flipping out at inmates over the slightest of things causing unnecessary problems, where the men are more laid back and don't look to cause problems that aren't there.

another question.. "I have gotten angry before".. I put true. I don't have a temper or anger problems by any means, but in my whole life, OBVIOUSLY I've gotten angry before and would be lying If I said Ive never gotten angry ever. Again, me putting true, the psych used that to paint me as a 19 yr old kid with anger problems who cant work with women who drinks.

I was honest on the test because I didn't want to be called a liar for trying to be too perfect. now when I take psych tests, I don't worry about being honest, I worry about being politically correct. I put down and tell the psych that NO, I've never gotten angry before. Yes alcolhism is a major disease and I would never drink.. no women don't think differently than me they think the same and act the same in the work place.. etc.. things like that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The psych is just the MMPI. Just take it and be honest. If you try to lie and present yourself in a different light it will see right through it because the test asks the same question 50 different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...lity_Inventory
    no, just remember to be politically correct on every answer.

Forum Member

Were people alerted if they failed the FD psych test? Did I miss something on the forum about that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Were people alerted if they failed the FD psych test? Did I miss something on the forum about that?
    I don't think the FD psyc test is as stringent as the PD test. Its more about making sure you aren't afraid of heights, fires, or are straight up crazy. In the PD they are handing you a gun so they wanna cover all their bases a hundred times over. So I think we haven't heard much about the psyc because far less people fail it than the PD version.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Dude I just sent you a friend request. Send me a message if you can. I was worried about the psych due to some past issues I had but it turned out I was worrying for nothing. I can share some info about the process because I had to meet with an FDNY pyschiatrist for an interview. I'm still nuts, but apparently in the way that is beneficial to this job : )

Forum Member

got my medical date today. list #low 600's aug 27
    Last edited by kremecheze; 08-07-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Forum Member

Received my medical and pscyh dates. Medical 22 AUG / Psych 24 AUG. Will have to reschedule the Medical, unfortunately, but hopefully can do that ASAP... Good luck to everyone moving through the next step (and obviously to everyone at the Rock).
    River6019, NycQ83 and JoeNoVowel like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Thread Information