Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 519 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 194194695095165175185195205215225295696191019 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 22884
Like Tree8996Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #10361
    Forum Member FDNYGUY28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    A question for the guys that are done with the medical and cpat. Are you guys working out as much and as intense with your weight vest as before? I used to work out with my vest about 3-4 times a week, and that is on top of all the running and strength training also. I could feel my knees and legs taking a beating. I was thinking about using the vest about once a week so I can focus more on running and my workout routine. I just want to compare workout plans to see if I need to step up my workout, or if I'm doing ok as it is. My main focus has and will always be cardio. I do a significant amount of running, and I sprint stairs after my runs. I also do a lot of calisthenics. Rarely do I use weights as I'm not a big fan of them. Thanks for any replies, and congratulations to the probies who graduated the academy today I believe.
    I've just been doing cardio, push ups , sit ups and pull ups. They told me at the rock that I should be concentrating on those things alone. Not to even pick up a weight. Still use the weighted vest and the stair master but mainly focus on running. I start training full time Monday and will be ready to go by the time the 1.5 run comes around in July. Im aiming to do it in 10 min
    Last edited by FDNYGUY28; 05-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    coldblood92 and dawk34 like this.


  2. #10362
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    A question for the guys that are done with the medical and cpat. Are you guys working out as much and as intense with your weight vest as before? I used to work out with my vest about 3-4 times a week, and that is on top of all the running and strength training also. I could feel my knees and legs taking a beating. I was thinking about using the vest about once a week so I can focus more on running and my workout routine. I just want to compare workout plans to see if I need to step up my workout, or if I'm doing ok as it is. My main focus has and will always be cardio. I do a significant amount of running, and I sprint stairs after my runs. I also do a lot of calisthenics. Rarely do I use weights as I'm not a big fan of them. Thanks for any replies, and congratulations to the probies who graduated the academy today I believe.
    I just passed my medical yesterday, but my plan is to
    Continue to use my vest the way I have been using it before: 3xs a
    Week I do as a warmup 3 minutes no vest, get off, immediately put the vest on then 8:30 minutes with
    The vest. That served me
    Well as a way to warm up on gym days. After that I would do a run of various distances, followed by some calisthenics and weights, then a cool
    Down on the bike for about half an hour at an easy pace.

    If your banging up your knees or whatever I would maybe take a break. Maybe go a week or two no vest or stairs, then ease back
    Into it. First no vest, then
    Slowly add weight. Im thinking some kind of pyramid routine... The name of the game at this point for those of us starring at the July class is, yes, stay
    In shape, but also stay injury free.
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

  3. #10363
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by o_corchado View Post
    no troll here, just post when I have something useful to contribute.



    It's on....
    Ha, I think Frank88 was just replying late to a NYPDtoFD post a few pages ago not you.
    List # 12XX

  4. #10364
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Also, Idk how much stair
    Work we should expect at the academy, maybe MM or others
    OTJ can give an idea how much stair work those of us past the medical portion should be incorporating into our pt.

  5. #10365
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    I just passed my medical yesterday, but my plan is to
    Continue to use my vest the way I have been using it before: 3xs a
    Week I do as a warmup 3 minutes no vest, get off, immediately put the vest on then 8:30 minutes with
    The vest. That served me
    Well as a way to warm up on gym days. After that I would do a run of various distances, followed by some calisthenics and weights, then a cool
    Down on the bike for about half an hour at an easy pace.

    If your banging up your knees or whatever I would maybe take a break. Maybe go a week or two no vest or stairs, then ease back
    Into it. First no vest, then
    Slowly add weight. Im thinking some kind of pyramid routine... The name of the game at this point for those of us starring at the July class is, yes, stay
    In shape, but also stay injury free.
    Hey any of you lucky people who make it into this summer's class. I'm sure you could sell your weight vests pretty quickly on this forum in a couple months haha.
    vekdoggs75, Gheech and FDNYGUY28 like this.
    List # 12XX

  6. #10366
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I may be off base about this, but it seems that in the past getting to the point where your medical was done was a great indicator you will probably be making the class. Especially with over 2 months to go till the start date. I hope that's the case here for you guys.
    I 100% agree with ya especially since the class (from what people have said) is starting in late July. I'm VERY curious about this rumor of people failing the medical and the reasons behind it.

  7. #10367
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYGUY28 View Post
    what is a "cusp"?
    Like they are right on the border of making it or just missing the class.

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Hey just wondering if you could expand on this, just confused on what you mean?
    I'm a little slow today so forgive me if this is a stupid question haha
    I was told that the city tries as best as possible to avoid giving too many medicals to guys who donít end up in the very next class because then you go months between the medical and the class, and could get out of shape or the city may even have to give you a mini-medical (not sure what that means) right before the class to make sure youíre still ready to go. Itís not perfect and there always ends up being people processed completely who miss the class, but they try their best to make that # of people as small as possible.

  8. #10368
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Hey just wondering if you could expand on this, just confused on what you mean?
    I'm a little slow today so forgive me if this is a stupid question haha
    The medical is basically the last thing you need to get through before being called for the Academy. So if you're being called for that then you're pretty close to going in. Basically anybody who's received a letter now has a chance at the summer class and almost definitely in the January one (if there is one).

  9. #10369
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Can anyone confirm the following?

    Cpat is good for a year
    Medical is good for six months

  10. #10370
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Are they still allowing guys to take the vision part of the exam with glasses/contacts on ? I know in the past you needed to get lasik done but with the EMS promos they were allowed to take the vision part of the medical with contacts on.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  11. #10371
    Forum Member FDNYGUY28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Can anyone confirm the following?

    Cpat is good for a year
    Medical is good for six months
    confirmed . Someone asked the same question at the rock. during cpat training. He was a seaman.... (navy)

  12. #10372
    Forum Member FDNYGUY28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Are they still allowing guys to take the vision part of the exam with glasses/contacts on ? I know in the past you needed to get lasik done but with the EMS promos they were allowed to take the vision part of the medical with contacts on.
    i took it with contacts. i passed
    TomFromQueens likes this.

  13. #10373
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Can anyone confirm the following?

    Cpat is good for a year
    Medical is good for six months
    Thought CPAT was good for the duration of the list and medical for 1 calendar year....might be wrong

    Ok I guess I was wrong then lol
    FDNYGUY28 likes this.

  14. #10374
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I 100% agree with ya especially since the class (from what people have said) is starting in late July. I'm VERY curious about this rumor of people failing the medical and the reasons behind it.
    Just a heads up the next probie class was moved to August
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  15. #10375
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Well it was planned for july 29, so August is only a few days lol, if in fact that is true

  16. #10376
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    828

    Default

    If they're moving the class back to August I would think it means they have to go deeper into the OC list than originally expected.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  17. #10377
    Forum Member FDNYGUY28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    Just a heads up the next probie class was moved to August
    Where did you find this out?

  18. #10378
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    If they're moving the class back to August I would think it means they have to go deeper into the OC list than originally expected.
    Yeah, that's what I'd think if its true. My brain cant decide if a month push back in exchange for deeper into the OC list is good or bad... I'm gonna say good because it probably means PH's are dropping like flies.
    vekdoggs75 and SouthBK84 like this.
    List # 12XX

  19. #10379
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'd think if its true. My brain cant decide if a month push back in exchange for deeper into the OC list is good or bad... I'm gonna say good because it probably means PH's are dropping like flies.
    haha I was doing the same thing. first I thought sh*t its moved back, but then as I thought about it, if it is moved back a month then that means there is more of a chance of this class including more OC guys, which is what I need if I want a cance at January.

  20. #10380
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Ha, I think Frank88 was just replying late to a NYPDtoFD post a few pages ago not you.
    Yea bruh forgot to reply w quote and just hit reply but it wasn't for nypd fdny can't go against a fellow flatfoot lol it was for the Marc dude who believes minorities were actually passed up even if they had high enough scores
    River6019 likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 27 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 24 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. brian_patrick,
  3. MuscleHamster

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts