Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 1166 FirstFirst ... 24249505152535455621021525521052 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 23305
Like Tree9112Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Starting Monday they are going to start calling the people who take the test starting this month. You will be told when and where you are able to attend. I was at bk tonight, good thing they let everyone in first the invited and then everyone else and yes including white dudes they had the biggest smile on their faces. Pretty sure one of them might PDF the material on this website.

That person would be awesome.

Forum Member

Is anyone else attempting to hit the Brooklyn session tomorrow morning? Should be a nice waste of time again...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Is anyone else attempting to hit the Brooklyn session tomorrow morning? Should be a nice waste of time again...
    I'll be there again lol

Forum Member

Yeah I know you will buddy^^^

See ya there...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    For whatever reason unlike the packet I have when I purchased from his website the Vulcan packet doesn't have copyright any where on it. I sent an e-mail but am still waiting for a reply.
    Oh, I misunderstood. The Vulcan packet is produced by don McNea? I was talking about the McNea packet you can buy online, that one clearly says not to redistribute it. If the Vulcan packet says not to redistribute it and nobody told you you couldn't I figure you'd be in the clear, I'd talk to someone with a little more knowledge of copyright law first.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Its states in the cover exactly this, prepared for the vulcan society by the don McNea fire school. I would think if you PDF this it may be the same as plagiarism. But then again I don't know, maybe look into it a little further before any decision is made.

Forum Member

Everyone needs to stop being scared, send it to me and I'll post it.

Forum Member

Just in case anyone wanted a review of one of the fire exam prep courses, allow me to be the first to say that the Firefighter Training Group out of Sayville is a scam. They run the website www.civilservicesuccess.com where they charge a candidate $359 for a two day study session. Personally, I thought that for $359 I would be getting one on one time with a knowledgeable expert as well as relevant insight. I was wrong, I attended the Mineola session today and there was a retired NYPD guy that claimed to have written civil service tests in the past who read from a booklet for four hours. I seriously felt dumber afterward. Please learn from my mistake, do not give these people your money. It is a ripoff and I unfortunately fell for it. I will attend the study session the city gives because it is free.

Forum Member

The vulcan homework packet is the same exact as the Don Mcnea. Just got back from the BK prep and it was a preety pleasant experience.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey everyone,

I have been going over this thread and following all the links and videos and its a damn shame that all this is happening.

I am not sure if anyone tried calling me about scheduling a tutorial session but I live in Wisconsin so it wouldn't be easy for me to make one of the sessions. The thing I want to know is if anyone can give a little more insight as to what was coverd in the sessions.

Also I have my test date April 17th. Anyone else for that date?

Thanks

Patrick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The vulcan homework packet is the same exact as the Don Mcnea. Just got back from the BK prep and it was a preety pleasant experience.
    Is that sarcasm? Any tips or good advice from the Vulcan boys you'd like to share with us?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Just got back from the BK prep and it was a preety pleasant experience.
    Was this session B?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Just in case anyone wanted a review of one of the fire exam prep courses, allow me to be the first to say that the Firefighter Training Group out of Sayville is a scam. They run the website www.civilservicesuccess.com where they charge a candidate $359 for a two day study session. Personally, I thought that for $359 I would be getting one on one time with a knowledgeable expert as well as relevant insight. I was wrong, I attended the Mineola session today and there was a retired NYPD guy that claimed to have written civil service tests in the past who read from a booklet for four hours. I seriously felt dumber afterward. Please learn from my mistake, do not give these people your money. It is a ripoff and I unfortunately fell for it. I will attend the study session the city gives because it is free.
    I also attended these classes back in December and January and felt it could have been better. BUT, one thing the instructor did say was that could be important had to do with the personality questions. He stated that his company did their research on PSI and their tests from all over the country and stated that we should not be answering strongly disagree or strongly agree on ALL of the background information survey questions. He explained some questions where an agree or disagree would be a better answer than the extremes.

I attended the Vulcan's prep course today in Manhattan and what they were instructing from was the Don McNea school's packet. They were basically telling us that if you always go with Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree, you'll always be fine. I'm not so sure that's true this time around, what does everyone else think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    I also attended these classes back in December and January and felt it could have been better. BUT, one thing the instructor did say was that could be important had to do with the personality questions. He stated that his company did their research on PSI and their tests from all over the country and stated that we should not be answering strongly disagree or strongly agree on ALL of the background information survey questions. He explained some questions where an agree or disagree would be a better answer than the extremes.

I attended the Vulcan's prep course today in Manhattan and what they were instructing from was the Don McNea school's packet. They were basically telling us that if you always go with Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree, you'll always be fine. I'm not so sure that's true this time around, what does everyone else think?

To be fair, they did not state that to go with "strongly" you'll always be fine. They did single out 4 categories where "strongly" is the suggested way to go. It's all in the beginning of the packet. They definitely acknowledged that to go with regular agree or disagree could very likely be weighted more on some questions. The teachers admitted that they weren't sure how it will be graded as a whole, just like anyone else.

And for the record, I feel like my credit card is a bit unnecessarily high after that 4 session course as well. And I hate to say that, because the teachers were good guys personally.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post

Yea I remember them saying all of this. Now I'm all lost and shiet. I would guess it all depends on the question itself, if you really feel its strongly agree then fill that one in. Or maybe it's ok to say either answer as long as its the agree or strongly agree or disagree or strongly disagree Field of the question. What does anyone else think? Because as of now it can get kinda confusing for a person.

I also remember the civil service Class instructor said those kinds of questions are gonna be worth a fraction of a point on the exam. They feel that the reading comp is the area where candidates are gonna lack at. Pw said it is the other way around. Smh what does anyone make of all of this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    To be fair, they did not state that to go with "strongly" you'll always be fine. They did single out 4 categories where "strongly" is the suggested way to go. It's all in the beginning of the packet. They definitely acknowledged that to go with regular agree or disagree could very likely be weighted more on some questions. The teachers admitted that they weren't sure how it will be graded as a whole, just like anyone else.

And for the record, I feel like my credit card is a bit unnecessarily high after that 4 session course as well. And I hate to say that, because the teachers were good guys personally.
    Yes they did state the four areas, but made it pretty clear to the class today that going with strongly agree or strongly disagree is safer, not saying I completely agree, but that's the impression I got...

yea... the guy we had was ok, but the fee was a bit high for the classes and what we got...

LOL oh man. I don't know what to think about this agree/disagree, strongly agree/disagree this time around. That was my weak spot on the last test but that was my first experience with those type of questions and I feel like after talking to friends pursuing police and fire jobs and other people OTJ that I know how to answer those a little better.

Forum Member

Were any tips on the video portion of the exam expressed in these sessions?

Forum Member

Look people answer these questions honestly and truthfully then you will get the highest score, but if you go into the exam thinking how do they want me to answer it or who said what would be the best answer choice then your going to set yourself up for failure. As for the video goes the Vulcans encouraged everyone to watch the video 3 times and take notes on what you watched. The details of the notes were so overall critical that they wanted to know who produced the video at one point which was shown at the end of the video in small print. They believe that there will be three videos on the exam.

This was one video that they showed

A VERY ZOMBIE HOLIDAY (Instructional video) The video stopped near the 2:00 mark.
    Last edited by prospectff; 03-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Forum Member

I think everybody getting all worked up over the personality questions. Heres some advice, if the answer is not obvious then JUST BE HONEST. Better to get the answer wrong being truthful then pretending to be somebody your not.

Thread Information