Like Tree10628Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #13026
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    .............
    Last edited by NycQ83; 08-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.

  2. #13027
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    Ughh the one time in FDNY history blacks, hispanics and any other minority who make up a good portion of this city's population get preferential treatment and people are disgusted? Com'on get real. I live in the Bronx and the minorities I see on the job are few and very very far inbetween. Something had to be done about it. Can't we all agree on that? You may not like how it was done which is fair enough but when change happens on major issues its usually ugly and shocking at first. I highly doubt black and hispanics will be INFERIOR (this kind of thinking is old and antiquated) firefighters, if they are prepared in the same ways for the job as their predecessors.
    No one thinks black or Hispanic candidates are inferior. We think candidates who couldn't get hired through the same simple, color blind level playing field are inferior. The test for this job has gotten easier for decades. The process has been made simpler for decades. Why? For diversities sake. This is MORE than a job. If you don't feel that way, pass it up so someone who wants to live for this can have your spot. Lastly, I don't care one bit about how many minority firefighters you see. This is an essential life saving service, not an employment program. The racial makeup shouldn't matter. Diversity for diversity's sake is wrong and amounts to nothing more than racism in a fancy outfit. You say the system was broken? Sure is. The system of personal responsibility has been breaking down for years. NYC is turning into the epicenter for, "it's someone else's fault".
    vekdoggs75, River6019 and test2000 like this.

  3. #13028
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    preferential treatment just over skin color? not to sound sexist or disrespectful, but females go into this category as well. NOT ALL of them but theres a good amount that get pushed through the academy, the rest can handle their own
    Well, I've seen plenty of females get the boot while bottom feeding men were pushed along through. It goes both ways with no rhyme or reason.

  4. #13029
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bronx, N.Y
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    No one thinks black or Hispanic candidates are inferior. We think candidates who couldn't get hired through the same simple, color blind level playing field are inferior. The test for this job has gotten easier for decades. The process has been made simpler for decades. Why? For diversities sake. This is MORE than a job. If you don't feel that way, pass it up so someone who wants to live for this can have your spot. Lastly, I don't care one bit about how many minority firefighters you see. This is an essential life saving service, not an employment program. The racial makeup shouldn't matter. Diversity for diversity's sake is wrong and amounts to nothing more than racism in a fancy outfit. You say the system was broken? Sure is. The system of personal responsibility has been breaking down for years. NYC is turning into the epicenter for, "it's someone else's fault".
    I'm sure you don't give a damn and I'm glad you don't work in the government. A color blind system didn't exist that's why someone took a closer look at it. If you see something isn't wrong with that then that's on you broski. You'll never understand me and ill never understand you. So be it. And when I said other minorities that includes women. Was the test about the applicants abilities or was it just to screen out a particular set of folk? Why not give people who actually live, grew up and raise children in the city the opportunity to work for an essential fire service? Smells of elitism. Diversity for diversity sakes falls on deaf ears for me, if 10 years down the line statistics show that todays firefighters were INFERIOR because of the current hiring practices and these guys are unfit, emergency response times are up, wrongful deaths ect... then you can argue that point.

  5. #13030
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    1. I'm not a federal judge or lawyer i'm not here to argue why priority hires were chosen how they were chosen or the back pay issue, that's all been settled. You are beating a dead horse, its more than likely a 1 time thing but who knows.

    2. Ok do you have to be a rocket scientist to save a life? Don't these people have co-workers who will show them the ropes? Brother I took both tests i'm 29. You sound salty. I'm no canary. My score is 101. I see no black firefighters in my own neighborhood or anywhere else in the city. All facts. Separate the emotion from the job at hand. It's just a job. We also have Equal Opportunity laws in this country for exactly this reason. I'm sure this has been covered on this forum time and time again. Just stop being mad at these people its getting you nowhere.
    One day they might save your canary *** whether you approve of the decision or not, whether you like them or not, whether they scored enough on a test or not, they all got through the rock and are trained firefighters. IF you listen to yourself...for all these years there has been a lack of diversity because of the millions of dumb *** people out there who couldn't hack it on a 7th grade level..what are the odds? The system was BROKEN.


    P.S. Always have a back up plan if this doesn't work out for you
    I'm going to say this an leave it alone...

    salty??? Your damn right I am I was 25 when I got a 102 on the 6019 test... Only to have it get crushed bc some imbacile wanted to push my higher score aside for someone that didn't deserve their shot. Unlike you I'm 31 now and was almost aged out if not for the efforts of some of the best NYC councilman... So I think it would be an understatement to say that I'm just salty... But I did perservere and now have a great shot agani but not by some handout or stupid judicial decision..... You my friend need to stop looking at color and just look at the best man for the job...... This is real life where you EARN Your keep and you should be ashamed at yourself for thinking people should get stuff handed to them based on racial stats alone.
    SkylinePCG and FDsouthbxNY like this.

  6. #13031
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    Ughh the one time in FDNY history blacks, hispanics and any other minority who make up a good portion of this city's population get preferential treatment and people are disgusted? Com'on get real. I live in the Bronx and the minorities I see on the job are few and very very far inbetween. Something had to be done about it. Can't we all agree on that? You may not like how it was done which is fair enough but when change happens on major issues its usually ugly and shocking at first. I highly doubt black and hispanics will be INFERIOR (this kind of thinking is old and antiquated) firefighters, if they are prepared in the same ways for the job as their predecessors.
    dude are you kidding me? Blacks didn't want the job, and the ones that did couldn't score high enough on a SIMPLE TEST.. If your black and you scored higher on the test than me, than by all means I want you to have the job before me, but if you scored worse and want to use reverse discrimination to get hired ahead of me, that's b.s.

    Second off, come to D.O.C, where theres very few whites on the job, does anybody cry about that or give us preferential treatment? no, nobody cares when its the other way around.. D.O.C is racist against whites but nobody complains there.. And lemme tell you, a majority of the blacks that I work with at D.O.C, have HORRIBLE WORK ETHICS.. And no that's not racist, its a fact, I DO work with MOSTLY BLACK PEOPLE, and they DO ALWAYS COME TO WORK LATE AND ARE LAZY.
    FuDsNmYc likes this.

  7. #13032
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    oh good, this topic again.

    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....8/10/train.jpg


    Guess I'll check back in 3-4 days.

  8. #13033
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    1. I'm not a federal judge or lawyer i'm not here to argue why priority hires were chosen how they were chosen or the back pay issue, that's all been settled. You are beating a dead horse, its more than likely a 1 time thing but who knows.

    2. Ok do you have to be a rocket scientist to save a life? Don't these people have co-workers who will show them the ropes? Brother I took both tests i'm 29. You sound salty. I'm no canary. My score is 101. I see no black firefighters in my own neighborhood or anywhere else in the city. All facts. Separate the emotion from the job at hand. It's just a job. We also have Equal Opportunity laws in this country for exactly this reason. I'm sure this has been covered on this forum time and time again. Just stop being mad at these people its getting you nowhere.
    One day they might save your canary *** whether you approve of the decision or not, whether you like them or not, whether they scored enough on a test or not, they all got through the rock and are trained firefighters. IF you listen to yourself...for all these years there has been a lack of diversity because of the millions of dumb *** people out there who couldn't hack it on a 7th grade level..what are the odds? The system was BROKEN.


    P.S. Always have a back up plan if this doesn't work out for you
    you scored 101? that's worse than my score, now get behind me on the list and wait your turn after me. We both had the same NYC public school education provided to us (unless you paid for private school growing up) so we have the same education backgrounds. So you scored worse than me, so you get hired after me.. case and point right there. No excuse as to why your behind me on the list and should get hired AFTER me, because you simply scored worse than me on the test.

  9. #13034
    Forum Member
    VanCroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    I'm sure you don't give a damn and I'm glad you don't work in the government. A color blind system didn't exist that's why someone took a closer look at it. If you see something isn't wrong with that then that's on you broski. You'll never understand me and ill never understand you. So be it. And when I said other minorities that includes women. Was the test about the applicants abilities or was it just to screen out a particular set of folk? Why not give people who actually live, grew up and raise children in the city the opportunity to work for an essential fire service? Smells of elitism. Diversity for diversity sakes falls on deaf ears for me, if 10 years down the line statistics show that todays firefighters were INFERIOR because of the current hiring practices and these guys are unfit, emergency response times are up, wrongful deaths ect... then you can argue that point.
    Bro, if you really believe that a test was structured to weed out a "particular set of folk", wouldn’t that be implying that “these folks” do think differently?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  10. #13035
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bronx, N.Y
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    dude are you kidding me? Blacks didn't want the job, and the ones that did couldn't score high enough on a SIMPLE TEST.. If your black and you scored higher on the test than me, than by all means I want you to have the job before me, but if you scored worse and want to use reverse discrimination to get hired ahead of me, that's b.s.

    Second off, come to D.O.C, where theres very few whites on the job, does anybody cry about that or give us preferential treatment? no, nobody cares when its the other way around.. D.O.C is racist against whites but nobody complains there.. And lemme tell you, a majority of the blacks that I work with at D.O.C, have HORRIBLE WORK ETHICS.. And no that's not racist, its a fact, I DO work with MOSTLY BLACK PEOPLE, and they DO ALWAYS COME TO WORK LATE AND ARE LAZY.

    First of close mouths don't get fed. So if you feel a certain way about blacks on your job you should get a lawyer. We may not have wanted the job because we didn't have uncles, fathers or family who had the opportunity to get on. Word of mouth and having a mentor and a inside plug makes it a helluva lot easier to make an informed decision on a career.
    I expected the lazy and come to work late comment. Only a matter of time. I can't wait to get on the job to hear some more about what we don't and cannot do. We're going to ruin this department from the way you are talking. I won't stoop to your level and say how I feel about a whole group of people. Lol you guys are funny, all that dedication stuff you talking doesn't mean a thing to me until you by my side and **** hits the fan. That's where real men are made.

  11. #13036
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    That's what I need !!!! But I need them to drop before the run or at the run so they won't take a spot at the Rock...
    that's horrible wishing ppl to fail. When or if you do get in they will probably be some of the people teaching you. And there's no way the list is reaching anywhere near 12,000. You don't have to be in the know to realize that. By using the oc list for 20 guys they killed a few hundred spots on the back end of the list anyway. Just do better on the next test and don't wish ill on anyone

  12. #13037
    Forum Member
    VanCroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default

    @HopefulFF

    haha, perfect picture. That made me laugh out loud.

  13. #13038
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    First of close mouths don't get fed. So if you feel a certain way about blacks on your job you should get a lawyer. We may not have wanted the job because we didn't have uncles, fathers or family who had the opportunity to get on. Word of mouth and having a mentor and a inside plug makes it a helluva lot easier to make an informed decision on a career.
    I expected the lazy and come to work late comment. Only a matter of time. I can't wait to get on the job to hear some more about what we don't and cannot do. We're going to ruin this department from the way you are talking. I won't stoop to your level and say how I feel about a whole group of people. Lol you guys are funny, all that dedication stuff you talking doesn't mean a thing to me until you by my side and **** hits the fan. That's where real men are made.
    Uncles and fathers? Oh kinda like Paul Washington right?

    PS - I have ZERO family on this job and I have aced the written exam not once, not twice, but 3x. I screwed up on the physical in '02 and accepted my fate pal. I didn't call up Jacoby and Meyers to bitch and moan for me. I got myself in better shape for '07.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

  14. #13039
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    dude are you kidding me? Blacks didn't want the job, and the ones that did couldn't score high enough on a SIMPLE TEST.. If your black and you scored higher on the test than me, than by all means I want you to have the job before me, but if you scored worse and want to use reverse discrimination to get hired ahead of me, that's b.s.

    Second off, come to D.O.C, where theres very few whites on the job, does anybody cry about that or give us preferential treatment? no, nobody cares when its the other way around.. D.O.C is racist against whites but nobody complains there.. And lemme tell you, a majority of the blacks that I work with at D.O.C, have HORRIBLE WORK ETHICS.. And no that's not racist, its a fact, I DO work with MOSTLY BLACK PEOPLE, and they DO ALWAYS COME TO WORK LATE AND ARE LAZY.
    I prefer fdsouthbxny's take. You definitely sound racist lol. Stop comparing fdny and corrections, No one wants that job. Who wants sh1t and pee thrown at them all day like a zoo worker. I don't agree with preferential treatment based on race either but the outright racists comments are bs. Saying the few ppl you work with are lazy and somehow compare to the entire population is ridiculous and shows why you're at d.o.c.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

  15. #13040
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    I'm sure you don't give a damn and I'm glad you don't work in the government. A color blind system didn't exist that's why someone took a closer look at it. If you see something isn't wrong with that then that's on you broski. You'll never understand me and ill never understand you. So be it. And when I said other minorities that includes women. Was the test about the applicants abilities or was it just to screen out a particular set of folk? Why not give people who actually live, grew up and raise children in the city the opportunity to work for an essential fire service? Smells of elitism. Diversity for diversity sakes falls on deaf ears for me, if 10 years down the line statistics show that todays firefighters were INFERIOR because of the current hiring practices and these guys are unfit, emergency response times are up, wrongful deaths ect... then you can argue that point.
    Ugh.....for the millionth time. The system was color blind and only found invalid by the courts because whites passed at a higher rate. So, because of some antiquated affirmative action law, that alone makes the test biased. No one wants to talk about general levels of education, ect.....

    Those who live here should work here? Why? I want the best, I don't care if he/she is from mars. Going further, I don't care what color or gender you are as long as you meet the same standards. Reducing or amending standards will tear at the fabric of this job. I work with members of all colors, genders or creeds and that is fantastic. What's more fantastic is the fact that the all did it without a court order. Not one of the minority members I work supports this action and many have been very vocally opposed. Some have gone as far as to have T-shirts made: "MADD FD". Minorities Against Dumbing Down. This court order hurts the credibility of hard working and equally successful minority firemen. It also hurts those who will be hired off the open competitive list going forward. This court order creates a stigma. People see a minority firefighter and will ask, did that person get on the same way 99% of the job did, or did they fail and get bumped into a spot by the courts.

    Last point: you said it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this job. Way the *** do you know about this job. Nothing, you're on the outside looking in. Ether way, if a pack of rocket scientists want this job, I hope they get it over affirmative action, priority, quota whatever hires. We don't want to set a bar to be a minimum, we want to set a bar that results in us getting the best. The acceptance rate to this job is like that of an Ivy League university. We don't need to be giving this job away

    Man, you of all people should be railing against this order. You're a minority and a successful applicant having achieved a 101 on the test. You're doing this the right way and some judge is undercutting your achievement while pushing you back in line so that those who had the same opportunity and failed can get ahead of you.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  16. #13041
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Here we go again !!!

    Any updates or rumors about how this academy class is going ?
    FuDsNmYc likes this.

  17. #13042
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Here we go again !!!

    Any updates or rumors about how this academy class is going ?
    A few EMS guys are really proving to be ****bags by quitting for a second time, and a PH posted a sexy photo of himself on instagram while complaining about how hard it is. So... the usual.

  18. #13043
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Here we go again !!!

    Any updates or rumors about how this academy class is going ?
    I was hoping we'd start to hear some talk about when the next class could start. Within the first week of the first class someone was already speculating the next class would start at the end of July.

  19. #13044
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Soo 17 drops... The 2 EMS guys that dropped for the second time will be in the January class because they got "hurt" and are currently on medical leave.... Round of applause to those who know how to f*ck the system.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

  20. #13045
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    A few EMS guys are really proving to be ****bags by quitting for a second time, and a PH posted a sexy photo of himself on instagram while complaining about how hard it is. So... the usual.
    What's the # for that one? Would love to take a peek.

  21. #13046
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    I'm sure you don't give a damn and I'm glad you don't work in the government. A color blind system didn't exist that's why someone took a closer look at it. If you see something isn't wrong with that then that's on you broski. You'll never understand me and ill never understand you. So be it. And when I said other minorities that includes women. Was the test about the applicants abilities or was it just to screen out a particular set of folk? Why not give people who actually live, grew up and raise children in the city the opportunity to work for an essential fire service? Smells of elitism. Diversity for diversity sakes falls on deaf ears for me, if 10 years down the line statistics show that todays firefighters were INFERIOR because of the current hiring practices and these guys are unfit, emergency response times are up, wrongful deaths ect... then you can argue that point.
    Black guy here. I have a question. If the previous test were discriminatory against a certain "group of folk", then how did any women or minorities pass it at all? There are minorities and women who actually passed those exams within hiring range and were hired. Take a look at those who died on 9/11. There were minority firefighters among them. What test did they take? Also, the members of the Vulcan society claim that blacks and others COULD NOT pass the old test. If that's true, then what test did THEY (Vulcan members) take? Since there ARE women and minorities who have passed the old exams and were hired, the argument that the test were discriminatory is simply horse sh*t.

    You say: "Why not give people who actually live, grew up and raise children in the city the opportunity to work for an essential fire service?"

    Let ME tell you why the FDNY lacks diversity..BECAUSE MOST MINORITIES IN NYC SIMPLY DON'T WANT THE JOB!! It has nothing to do with academic ability or racial discrimination. Blacks in nyc take EVERY other civil service test except for FDNY. The NYPD, NYC Corrections and the MTA are FULL of blacks and other minorities. And from my experience growing up black in nyc, we simply never paid any attention to FDNY. Everybody wanted to be a cop, postal worker, correction officer or work for the MTA.

    In 32 years as a nyc resident, i have NEVER met a black person on the block, in my family or in any school i ever went to that said "Man, i want to be a firefighter". Many whites on the other hand, especially the ones from Long Island, have more of a cultural appreciation for firefighting in general. Many of them, as well as their friends and families, have served as volunteers on the island and/or have been members of the nyc fire department for generations. There is PERSONAL and CULTURAL interest in the job, as oppossed to simply an occupational or financial one. And that's the bottom line. That reality simply does not exist among minorities in nyc; regarding ANY civil service job.

    P.S: I'm not an uncle tom. I love Barack Obama, prefer big booties and i do believe that racism is still alive and well in the U.S; just not in THIS case....

  22. #13047
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    399

    Default

    I betcha i wouldve passed the old exam with flying colors. But nooooooo, i wanted to be a cop. Hopefully the fire god forgives me.

  23. #13048
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Been following this forum for a while. Thanks for all the info. Has the life of the OC List been established yet? I know its typically 4 years, but DSNY has extended their list to 5 years. Anyone hear anything? thanks

  24. #13049
    Forum Member
    Blu 2 red hopeful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    this thread is real sad. O my god it really is. We as People fighting over race and the make up of the job. it's only one color and that's Red. every one here should have one goal in mind and that's to save a life and make sure you get home to family. I personally would not want to work with a person who see me as a color. I'm an educated man and I still don't see myself being better then no one. ant going to put no one on blast but someone of the post is really crazy. we should be past this in our life not hold on to hate. you passed the test wait your turn bust ya *** and get it done don't wish for another man down fall. I hope we as a whole get better because we can't keep moving forward like this. SMH

  25. #13050
    Forum Member
    Blu 2 red hopeful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I betcha i wouldve passed the old exam with flying colors. But nooooooo, i wanted to be a cop. Hopefully the fire god forgives me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewSteveYork View Post
    Been following this forum for a while. Thanks for all the info. Has the life of the OC List been established yet? I know its typically 4 years, but DSNY has extended their list to 5 years. Anyone hear anything? thanks
    yes in June as per

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 14 guests)

  1. Prosc15

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register