Like Tree9533Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Today I called DCAS for an update on the status of exam #2000, and they told me the list was just established this past june 2013 and that they just started calling off it.

I read about the list in the chief last fall 2012 and found out my list # that way. Does anybody have any idea what was meant by this info that was given to me?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Jukez, u mind filling me in on what they changed about the hr portion? Is it still (220-age)*.9 for 5:12 or is it something new now? Thx, I'm getting worried and I want to have all the bases covered
    It is but they know monitor you during your warmup and you can't double your resting heart rate while doing the warm up. If you double it you don't even get to put the vest on and you have to come back a 2nd time. During the second attempt I if you double it again you can go on with the vest but you have to stay on for 8 minutes.

OAK
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It is but they know monitor you during your warmup and you can't double your resting heart rate while doing the warm up. If you double it you don't even get to put the vest on and you have to come back a 2nd time. During the second attempt I if you double it again you can go on with the vest but you have to stay on for 8 minutes.
    Ooo ok, I know that was mentioned here a while ago. How long's the warm up anyways? And I'm assuming they measure your resting heart rate while you sitting down before the warm up?

Forum Member

I don't understand this either. Your resting rate (assuming you guys have been training like beasts like I have) will be somewhere in the low 60's or upper 50's. A normal active heart rate (assuming you're an active adult male) should be around 145 to 175. I'm really worried on how they are actually conducting this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Again your source is unreliable... Maybe you should just stop asking him lol
    sorry comissioner, even though yours and my are stating the same thing. lol
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-14-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: error

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Has anyone on here proved residency using the under-21 at time of application rule (where you only need 2 proofs)? I kind of wanna know how any of you guys who are going through/have gone through processing and who have done it went about doing so. Just so I can be squared away when the time comes.
    Hey bro, I'm in your boat. Us young guys gotta show these old timers how it's done! haha (kidding)

When I went for my intake investigation I was still 20. I showed my highschool transcript, W2's from 2010-2011 and a notarized letter stating my parents supported me. I also showed up with bank statements from 2010-2011 and my sealed college transcript but I don't even think she looked at them because I already qualified for my residency points. So as long as you have those three things (H.S. Transcript, W2's and the NOTARIZED letter) you should be alright. Good luck man, you've got some time but don't let it creep up on you either. Gathering some of those documents were a pain in the *****.

Forum Member

Listen guys, the second stair mill test shouldn't worry you unless you are out of shape, or you know you have a heart condition. Get on, step by step, and plan for a 8 min. trek up.
    If you are in shape, this should be no issue. Just don't be nervous, and speed your hr up, it's just another stair mill session at the gym.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Hey bro, I'm in your boat. Us young guys gotta show these old timers how it's done! haha (kidding)

When I went for my intake investigation I was still 20. I showed my highschool transcript, W2's from 2010-2011 and a notarized letter stating my parents supported me. I also showed up with bank statements from 2010-2011 and my sealed college transcript but I don't even think she looked at them because I already qualified for my residency points. So as long as you have those three things (H.S. Transcript, W2's and the NOTARIZED letter) you should be alright. Good luck man, you've got some time but don't let it creep up on you either. Gathering some of those documents were a pain in the *****.
    Thanks a lot dude. Those are the exact things I planned on using too.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    I don't understand this either. Your resting rate (assuming you guys have been training like beasts like I have) will be somewhere in the low 60's or upper 50's. A normal active heart rate (assuming you're an active adult male) should be around 145 to 175. I'm really worried on how they are actually conducting this.
    Damn stair master got me today as well...and most everyone else for that matter! I made it past the warm up and was "qualified" to take the 5:12 test with the weighted vest. At the end of 5:12, my heart rate was over the max, and they said "see you in about a month".

Anywho, the way it goes is...You jump on the step machine with no vest for 3 minutes. Your heart rate is dependent on your age, there was no doubling your resting heart rate thing going on (at least not that I was told). They have a chart with the maximum heart rate for each age in years. So for example, I'm 36 (Yes I'm an old fart now, lol) and on the chart it says 36 years of age = max heart rate of 166. THAT is the heart rate you cannot go over during the no weight phase, and the weighted vest phase. If you go over that on the no weight phase, you no get to use weights and play with big boys, lol. If you don't go over, then you are "qualified" to take the test with weighted vest.

If you fail the weighted portion, then you get to pick a date to come back and retry. The longest you get is 1 month. On your retry, you go through the same song and dance (No weight 3 mins, then weighted for 5 mins 12 sec). There will be a doctor monitoring on the retry. If you do not go over max heart rate at the 5min 12 sec mark, you pass and you are done. If your heart rate is over, then doc gives ok (depending on how you look) to go on until you reach 8 mins. If you reach 8 mins, and doc looks at you and you aren't ready to keel over or something, then you pass.

Sorry for the long explanation, and hope if helped you and not further confused you.
    Last edited by USMC2024; 08-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Forum Member

Double post
    Last edited by USMC2024; 08-14-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    Damn stair master got me today as well...and most everyone else for that matter! I made it past the warm up and was "qualified" to take the 5:12 test with the weighted vest. At the end of 5:12, my heart rate was over the max, and they said "see you in about a month".

Anywho, the way it goes is...You jump on the step machine with no vest for 3 minutes. Your heart rate is dependent on your age, there was no doubling your resting heart rate thing going on (at least not that I was told). They have a chart with the maximum heart rate for each age in years. So for example, I'm 36 (Yes I'm an old fart now, lol) and on the chart it says 36 years of age = max heart rate of 166. THAT is the heart rate you cannot go over during the no weight phase, and the weighted vest phase. If you go over that on the no weight phase, you no get to use weights and play with big boys, lol. If you don't go over, then you are "qualified" to take the test with weighted vest.

If you fail the weighted portion, then you get to pick a date to come back and retry. The longest you get is 1 month. On your retry, you go through the same song and dance (No weight 3 mins, then weighted for 5 mins 12 sec). There will be a doctor monitoring on the retry. If you do not go over max heart rate at the 5min 12 sec mark, you pass and you are done. If your heart rate is over, then doc gives ok (depending on how you look) to go on until you reach 8 mins. If you reach 8 mins, and doc looks at you and you aren't ready to keel over or something, then you pass.

Sorry for the long explanation, and hope if helped you and not further confused you.
    Thanks dude - Interesting how the doc monitors guys on the 2nd try now.

Forum Member

Question here. I passed everything up to and including the medical and psych. I should be getting a letter for the run for the January academy, and just want to make sure.. They don't skip anybody on the list do they?

Even though I've passed everything and am still eligible, I wanna make sure that I get that letter for the run in January.

This is a dream job for me and I'm training 5 days a week for this, as hard as I can. I'll be damned if I pass everything, and somehow still don't get a letter in the mail for the 1.5 mile run come January.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy.

Forum Member

guys Im guessing that after the medical and psych thats when the investigators call your past jobs? Would it disqualify me you think if I have been fired from a couple of jobs for just not being good at the job not stealing etc?

Forum Member

Just wanted to send out a cpngrats to the guys who did their medicals today..

Don't let the stair master get you down..

1 step closer to the dream. Keep your heads up.

Forum Member

Congrats to all the guys that pass their medical.
    Update on the academy 35 total is out.
    10 on medical leave, 3 PH, 4 OC, rest are EMS that left.
    PH are not able to come back once they quit.
    So far 2 PH are on medical leave which are able to come back for the January class.

Forum Member

if you fail the stair master the first time around to not worry..seriously do not worry. the second time around it will not matter..YOU NEED TO KEEP STEPPING! do not give up because if you do then you will fail. it doesn't matter what your heart rate is so long as you complete the entire time allotted to you. a dude going alongside me fell off with about 35 seconds left and he failed. focus on your footing and getting a rhythm down and you cannot go wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    So far 2 PH are on medical leave which are able to come back for the January class.
    thanks for the update...how's the academy treating you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    whoa, dont say that cause one already did resign and a phone call was made and now he is back, and is going to be in the next class

Forum Member

I have time to prepare which is why this forum is great. But my best bet would be to buy a weighted vest. Put 80lbs in it. and go on the step mill in your gym and monitor your heart rate. This seems like a sure "fire" way to pass the medical.

Also my PM is on now so lets get an email group together for ppl in the bensonhurst area that wanna get a group training session going.
    List 20##
    Score 101

Forum Member

why do you think most of these guys quit the academy? just not in good enough physical shape?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    why do you think most of these guys quit the academy? just not in good enough physical shape?
    Guys are just getting hurt, there are young guys and older guys getting hurt. A lot of leg injuries that I see. On the quitting side, yes, people just can't keep up with the physical demands. Only a few quit because they are afraid of the job itself.

Forum Member

Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy!!!!!?????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY29 View Post
    Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy.
    63X, Scheduled for Aug 28th...You should get yours soon...Keep Training!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    too much sand in their vaginas

Thread Information