Like Tree9607Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Guys are just getting hurt, there are young guys and older guys getting hurt. A lot of leg injuries that I see. On the quitting side, yes, people just can't keep up with the physical demands. Only a few quit because they are afraid of the job itself.
    What kind of leg injuries? We talking about broken bones or like pulled hammys?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    pulled muscles, sore muscles, hamstring, amoung other stupid things
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure leg injuries. Im almost positive one guy tore his hamstring, but none of the injuries are mentioned, and I'm not asking. Just seems like when I see someone injured, they are hobbling.
    Just train guys, and stretch after you run, that it is what they do at the academy.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Currently in my late 20s. This is my last shot and I'm sitting in the mid 8000s. Considering joining the service just to subtract years off my age so I can sit for the next exam. Breaks my heart to see people drop out of the academy at this rate. Don't throw this opportunity away

Forum Member

I was told that one EMS guy quit because his granddad was sick........ Ima just get comfortable in my current career cause it seems like its going to be a while.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Forum Member

Ok so just to be clear, I have a low resting heart rate since I'm relatively lean and do a lot of cardio, which I like to think translates to a good level of fitness. So, for those of us who are in good shape with a low resting heart rate, we're LESS likely to pass the first stair machine test? Makes no sense haha. I'm not saying what you guys reported back doesn't make sense. It seems like the system doesn't. But then again, look at the scenario as a whole haha.
    Last edited by mocon337; 08-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewSteveYork View Post
    Currently in my late 20s. This is my last shot and I'm sitting in the mid 8000s. Considering joining the service just to subtract years off my age so I can sit for the next exam. Breaks my heart to see people drop out of the academy at this rate. Don't throw this opportunity away
    ... I guess I'm not the only one in the same boat that thought the same...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    the damn stairmaster got me....2nd time's a charm?

Some info I know you guys would be interested in:

1- We were told the January class would start on the 27th. Maybe Jukez is the comish
    2- Medicals will be scheduled through August and stop in Sept. In Sept they're going to start sending out the next batch of Intake packets, they were guessing out to around #1100 on OC. Intake interviews will be in Oct and Nov, ending before Thanksgiving week. The guy we spoke to was guessing some where around the top 900 on OC have a good shot for January

That's ok man keep working hard you'll do fine on your next attempt...

Crap I'm in the 1500 range I was really hoping my number would be reached for intake packets this September
    HopefulFF and vekdoggs75 like this.
    FDNY Exam 2000

List #: 15XX

Intake: completed 2/14
    Medical: 3/14
    CPAT: 3/14
    Psych: 4/14
    Run: ?hopefully soon?

Forum Member

Relatively new to the forum and have been keeping up so far with the updates. I have several questions.
    1. What are the intake packets?
    2. What is the medical composed of?
    3. What is the investigation composed of?
    4. How soon would guys in the 900-950 get called in for these examinations?

Forum Member

Relatively new to the forum and have been keeping up so far with the updates. I have several questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I was told that one EMS guy quit because his granddad was sick........ Ima just get comfortable in my current career cause it seems like its going to be a while.
    I was hoping if all went well I would graduate the academy before I hit 30. Now I'm hoping just to make it into the academy by the time I'm 30.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I was hoping if all went well I would graduate the academy before I hit 30. Now I'm hoping just to make it into the academy by the time I'm 30.
    I don't get it - why is some dude quitting because of his grandfather's illness getting everyone down about the time when they get on?
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Just called DCAS to see if they updated the info and see if they put an established date and termination date for the test. So this is what the system said

original number of eligibles 40982
    this list was established on June 26 2013
    this list will terminate on June 26 2017

I don't know if this was previously posted, my apologies if it was. So this is good for OC guys, it was just established for this last class as opposed to when it was made public.

Forum Member

I don't get it - why is some dude quitting because of his grandfather's illness getting everyone down about the time when they get on?
    Because I'm at my desk bored out of my mind.
    vekdoggs75, River6019 and NycQ83 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by inthrewtheoutdor View Post
    Just called DCAS to see if they updated the info and see if they put an established date and termination date for the test. So this is what the system said

original number of eligibles 40982
    this list was established on June 26 2013
    this list will terminate on June 26 2017

I don't know if this was previously posted, my apologies if it was. So this is good for OC guys, it was just established for this last class as opposed to when it was made public.

So will they be able to put an OC Class into the July 2017 academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Because I'm at my desk bored out of my mind.
    Hahaha makes 2 of us

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewSteveYork View Post
    So will they be able to put an OC Class into the July 2017 academy?
    If that date is correct, I would assume no.

Forum Member

I think the Last OC Class would have to go in on or before June 26, 2017, no?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    I think the Last OC Class would have to go in on or before June 26, 2017, no?
    That's what I assume. Least that's what happened to me on exam 2043.

Forum Member

Hahaha makes 2 of us
    Welcome to my world. And to make matters worse, all the physical training will cause extreme amounts of restlessness do to the fact that you're just sitting there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Ok so just to be clear, I have a low resting heart rate since I'm relatively lean and do a lot of cardio, which I like to think translates to a good level of fitness. So, for those of us who are in good shape with a low resting heart rate, we're LESS likely to pass the first stair machine test? Makes no sense haha. I'm not saying what you guys reported back doesn't make sense. It seems like the system doesn't. But then again, look at the scenario as a whole haha.
    My plan is to eat 10 cheeseburgers a day so that my resting heart rate hovers around 180 bpm. Then, when its time for the stair mill I'll just have to keep my heart rate under 360. Solid plan right?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

How far from the cut were you on 2043?

--Tried to Quote you VEK, but messed it up (edit)

"That's what I assume. Least that's what happened to me on exam 2043."
    Last edited by Bellestoria; 08-15-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    My plan is to eat 10 cheeseburgers a day so that my resting heart rate hovers around 180 bpm. Then, when its time for the stair mill I'll just have to keep my heart rate under 360. Solid plan right?
    or drink a couple of espressos the morning of the medical, get that resting heart rate way up there haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    How far from the cut were you on 2043?

--Tried to Quote you VEK, but messed it up (edit)

"That's what I assume. Least that's what happened to me on exam 2043."
    Honestly don't know the exact # I missed by, but I finished the entire process at Metrotech so had to be pretty close. I wasn't too bummed at the time because I had done well on 6019. Unfortunately that ****storm didn't have a happy ending.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by F_V_P View Post

1. The intake packets are the first step in the hiring process. It's a packet that's maybe 30 pages long? (don't exactly remember) that is sent to you by the FDNY. You need to fill this out and bring it with you to your investigation date which is the first page of your packet. The packet includes information like your school experience, work experience, prior arrests. Things of that nature.

2. The medical is labeled a "FULL MEDICAL EXAM". Which I assume will be a drug test, blood work, vision test, hearing test and so on. What people fear in the medical is the stair master portion. You are instructed to walk on the stair master for 3 minutes with no weight vest on. They monitor your heart rate through the entire process. If your heart rate does not exceed 90% of your maximum heart rate (could have worded that wrong) then you will take a short break and continue on the stairs with a 50 lb vest. Again your heart rate is monitored. If you fail this portion you need to come back and re try.

3. The investigation is basically filling out your packet and bringing the required paperwork (all of which will be stated in your investigation packet.) Also you meet your investigator.

4. Speculation says that guys in the 1000's may receive packets by the end of September.

-Hope that helps, Good luck.

Thread Information