Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 529 of 1209 FirstFirst ... 294294795195265275285295305315325395796291029 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,580 of 24172
Like Tree9405Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    I'm very low 300's, and my references received their letters last week and already sent them in. I've only done the Psych and CPAT, and manyjay is the only other person I have heard saying their refs received their letters. This leads me to believe there is no rhyme or reason as to when those are sent out.
    Who qualifies as references ? Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Who qualifies as references ? Thank you

Think teachers, principals, bosses that type of stuff. If you were in the service, I would recommend you contact your Commanding Officer and ask if you may use him/her as a reference. That's a great one right there.

Forum Member

Question to the guys OTJ. What's your opinion on working really close to home? And I'm talking about a few blocks for example not just same borough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Think teachers, principals, bosses that type of stuff. If you were in the service, I would recommend you contact your Commanding Officer and ask if you may use him/her as a reference. That's a great one right there.
    What about good friends who are ranking police officers?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What about good friends who are ranking police officers?
    Anybody with a good reputation is fine. Cops included.

Forum Member

Would other firefighters you know count as good qualifiers for a reference? Just regular FF not a lt or capt
    Last edited by FdnyFFHopeful; 05-19-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Anybody with a good reputation is fine. Cops included.
    Thanks so I guess it's the same as the type of references PD asks for.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Would other firefighters you know count as good qualifiers for a reference? Just regular FF not a lt or capt
    I'm almost positive that the letter for references said you can't use anyone from the FDNY, as well as no relatives.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire ant View Post
    I'm almost positive that the letter for references said you can't use anyone from the FDNY, as well as no relatives.
    That I'm not sure of. If it says FDNY references are not allowed, very obviously don't do it.

Forum Member

So would that include my capt from my EMS station if not FDNY members are not allowed? Ill definitely have to find out about that when I get the paperwork cuz I feel like that would be a good reference for me to have.

My memory might be off because its been a few years, but i believe the paperwork used to allow for FDNY members you knew (including family) to use as references, as well as 3 non FDNY members.

When going through that ridiculous pile of papers...have someone else go over it with you! Getting delayed or worse because of a typo or a stupid mistake will haunt you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    My milmemory might be off because its been a few years, but i believe the paperwork used to allow for FDNY members you knew (including family) to use as references, as well as 3 non FDNY members.

When going through that ridiculous pile of papers...have someone else go over it with you! Getting delayed or worse because of a typo or a stupid mistake will haunt you.
    U cannot use family members, co-workers, and anyone that works for FDNY.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire ant View Post
    Thanks for the advice. This would be my last shot due to age. Something on the side would have to be a definite for the first few years. Just have to struggle and get through probation.
    I'm in the same boat as you with this being my last shot because of age. Not sure if it's an option for you but I've already started working a second job just to bank the money in anticipation of taking the big pay cut. Hopefully that will make it a little easier to keep my head above water.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

The personal references rules might be different for you guys, but the rules for those of us on the promotion list was no relatives, no FDNY. Friend, former coworker, teacher, whatever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you with this being my last shot because of age. Not sure if it's an option for you but I've already started working a second job just to bank the money in anticipation of taking the big pay cut. Hopefully that will make it a little easier to keep my head above water.
    Yes, that's a great idea. Going to look at all options before I let this go by. I figure, If you want something bad enough you figure a way to do it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The personal references rules might be different for you guys, but the rules for those of us on the promotion list was no relatives, no FDNY. Friend, former coworker, teacher, whatever.
    That's exactly what mine said.

Forum Member

So I am currently in the process of hiring with the NYPD as well as FDNY. It appears that I have passed the psych part of the process for the FDNY (I took the test on april 20 and haven't heard anything since), but I have a question. I am about to take the pysch evaluation with the NYPD and am wondering; If I got dq'ed from the psych part of the NYPD process, would that mean I would get DQ'ed from the FDNY as well?

I have no reason to fail the NYPD psych evaluation, its just that I have heard that they are very strict with NYPD psych. evaluation, and fail many people.

And since it appears that I have already passed the FDNY psych, maybe I should just put the NYPD process on hold? Can I put the NYPD hiring process on hold?

P.S. I would much rather be in the FDNY lol.
    Last edited by infolet333; 05-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    So I am currently in the process of hiring with the NYPD as well as FDNY. It appears that I have passed the psych part of the process for the FDNY (I took the test on april 20 and haven't heard anything since), but I have a question. I am about to take the pysch evaluation with the NYPD and am wondering; If I got dq'ed from the psych part of the NYPD process, would that mean I would get DQ'ed from the FDNY as well?

I have no reason to fail the NYPD psych evaluation, its just that I have heard that they are very strict with NYPD psych. evaluation, and fail many people.

And since it appears that I have already passed the FDNY psych, maybe I should just put the NYPD process on hold? Can I put the NYPD hiring process on hold?

I have asked friends of friends in the investigation dept on PD that exact question, they said it shouldn't and they don't see it happening. Take it's for what it's worth thou, I would imagine it's question most don't know the answer to.

What exam number are you, I am curious what exam they are up to? I am 3308 or 3309 if I remember correctly.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

You have way too much faith in the power of city government. There's no way in the world either agency would know/care that you are in the hiring process for the other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post

Take the Psych for NYPD. If something goes wrong (like background check, DWIs, summons, moving violations etc.) they may put you on review and they will let you know about it. Once they put you on review then you should definitely withdrawal yourself from the process instead of potentially being DQed. You can reinstate yourself in NYPD process and take your chances if you don't get into FDNY.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 05-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Thread Information