Like Tree10629Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    1. The intake packets are the first step in the hiring process. It's a packet that's maybe 30 pages long? (don't exactly remember) that is sent to you by the FDNY. You need to fill this out and bring it with you to your investigation date which is the first page of your packet. The packet includes information like your school experience, work experience, prior arrests. Things of that nature.

2. The medical is labeled a "FULL MEDICAL EXAM". Which I assume will be a drug test, blood work, vision test, hearing test and so on. What people fear in the medical is the stair master portion. You are instructed to walk on the stair master for 3 minutes with no weight vest on. They monitor your heart rate through the entire process. If your heart rate does not exceed 90% of your maximum heart rate (could have worded that wrong) then you will take a short break and continue on the stairs with a 50 lb vest. Again your heart rate is monitored. If you fail this portion you need to come back and re try.

3. The investigation is basically filling out your packet and bringing the required paperwork (all of which will be stated in your investigation packet.) Also you meet your investigator.

4. Speculation says that guys in the 1000's may receive packets by the end of September.

-Hope that helps, Good luck.
    So even the warm up one it's the same formula for HR as it is for actual test with vest ? Why are so many guys unable to even get past the warm up then ? A lot of guys here have said they couldn't pass the warm up and they're actually training for this. I'm sure nerves play a roll in it too but when I go on the step mill for my warm up, I do it at 75 steps a minute for 3:30 minutes and my heart rate is around 130 by the time I'm done. I'm practicing to stay on for 8 minutes w/ vest just in case I can't get past the warm up but it really makes you think that maybe there is something wrong with the heart rate monitor they're using.

Also you said speculation is guys in the 1000's may receive their packets by the end of September. By thousands do you means to the list numbers in the 1000's or like thousands more may receive intake packets. Just asking because it'll really suck if they only send up to 1100 and I'm right on the cusp and I have to wait a few more months to see some progress.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So even the warm up one it's the same formula for HR as it is for actual test with vest ? Why are so many guys unable to even get past the warm up then ? A lot of guys here have said they couldn't pass the warm up and they're actually training for this. I'm sure nerves play a roll in it too but when I go on the step mill for my warm up, I do it at 75 steps a minute for 3:30 minutes and my heart rate is around 130 by the time I'm done. I'm practicing to stay on for 8 minutes w/ vest just in case I can't get past the warm up but it really makes you think that maybe there is something wrong with the heart rate monitor they're using.

Also you said speculation is guys in the 1000's may receive their packets by the end of September. By thousands do you means to the list numbers in the 1000's or like thousands more may receive intake packets. Just asking because it'll really suck if they only send up to 1100 and I'm right on the cusp and I have to wait a few more months to see some progress.
    In the same boat my friend. I'm in the 1100s as well and was hoping for them to easily surpass me with those packets.

Forum Member

ugh...guys...the 3 minute warm up: you cannot double your resting heart rate. That's it! If you hear anything differently than that, it. is. wrong.

You have your vitals taken at some point before you get to the stairs station, there they take your resting heart rate. When you get in to the room for the stairs they write down your resting heart rate on the form, below it they write a # that is double of your resting heart rate. I am 100% positive this is how it goes. If you pass this, then you go on to the 5:12 with the 50lbs vest and 90% of your max heart rate.

The guy who spoke to us seemed to be ballparking that packets to 1100 number. Maybe it'll be more, but from how he made it sound they wouldn't "blow" past that number. Things can change though so who knows.

Forum Member

I hear ya. Your time will come soon.

I was done with metrotech in October 2008 for 6019.

Did not do well on 2000.

Holding out hope for a happy ending, but it's doubtful.

Need a huge group in the middle of the list to decide they really just took the test because someone talked them into it, waived the fee, picked them up at their home and drove them there. Maybe by 2017, a few thousand of those guys will have moved on to bigger and better things.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    ugh...guys...the 3 minute warm up: you cannot double your resting heart rate. That's it! If you hear anything differently than that, it. is. wrong.

You have your vitals taken at some point before you get to the stairs station, there they take your resting heart rate. When you get in to the room for the stairs they write down your resting heart rate on the form, below it they write a # that is double of your resting heart rate. I am 100% positive this is how it goes. If you pass this, then you go on to the 5:12 with the 50lbs vest and 90% of your max heart rate.

The guy who spoke to us seemed to be ballparking that packets to 1100 number. Maybe it'll be more, but from how he made it sound they wouldn't "blow" past that number. Things can change though so who knows.
    Yep! He's got it, sorry for the confusion guys.

Forum Member

Hey fellas, I got my medical at the end of August....does ANYONE have the weight chart they go by as far is telling guys to go lose "5lbs" by a certain date etc....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post
    Hey fellas, I got my medical at the end of August....does ANYONE have the weight chart they go by as far is telling guys to go lose "5lbs" by a certain date etc....
    I'm a little worried about this part of the process. At 6 feet tall and 225lbs I'm sure the chart would say I'm out of shape. Unfortunately I doubt i could get much below 220. I run at least 3 miles everyday at a ~7:20 pace but can't drop weight. Hope they just realize I'm not fat and let me slide.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

If you're in shape and your cardio is good enough that you pass the Stairs on the 1st try, I honestly wouldn't even worry about the weight. If they ask you to cut weight and come back, that's a bridge you cross at that time. I had to do it, and it was the most pleasurable diet I've ever had in my life.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

I am 5'11 and my max weight I could be was 221. Each inch is 5lbs, so 6ft would be 226, 5'10 would be 216. They are very strict about this after the Sears incident and the Lt. who had a heart attack last summer. Someone was going back to reweigh because he had to lose 1lb.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I'm a little worried about this part of the process. At 6 feet tall and 225lbs I'm sure the chart would say I'm out of shape. Unfortunately I doubt i could get much below 220. I run at least 3 miles everyday at a ~7:20 pace but can't drop weight. Hope they just realize I'm not fat and let me slide.
    Might sound like a joke but.... You are probably not eating enough...

Forum Member

Any updates or rumors coming from medicals about the number of PHs and EMS guys for the January class?

Forum Member

what list number range are you at?

Forum Member

Forum Member

my mother as well as many other mothers of guys on here are probably not happy in our decision to become firemen....but do you guys think this job is more dangerous in general compared to NYPD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    my mother as well as many other mothers of guys on here are probably not happy in our decision to become firemen....but do you guys think this job is more dangerous in general compared to NYPD?
    yes of course

Forum Member

my family isn't happy with me being a 2nd generation correction officer, and would rather me be a firefighter, even though that is the most dangerous job.. because its the more honorable job.
    FDsouthbxNY and FuDsNmYc like this.

Forum Member

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!! You have a better chance making it to 20 years in pd than fighting fires ... Out a whole graduating class someone is not going to make it someone would die

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    ABSOLUTELY !!!!!! You have a better chance making it to 20 years in pd than fighting fires ... Out a whole graduating class someone is not going to make it someone would die
    Yea.. But when I'm 65.. Hopefully I make it that far.. I can hold my head up and know I held an honorable selfless position/career..

It's the price you pay.

Forum Member

And I'd rather not have to live with killing/shooting someone.. With all the red tape and crap it could ruin you career wise and mentally/emotionally.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    And I'd rather not have to live with killing/shooting someone.. With all the red tape and crap it could ruin you career wise and mentally/emotionally.
    Yea I feel the same way. I took the PD test too and did well, but I don't think I have it in me to do that job at all. I'm a lover not a fighter haha.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

I'm sure it's been covered before but how long after the packet arrives will you be expected to show up with it filled out? I ask because I might be out of the country for work for up to six weeks starting in the first half of September. Also is it possible to reschedule? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY29 View Post
    Low-mid 600's

Forum Member

Another good benefit of FDNY compared to pd and doc is theres less liabilities/things to get in trouble for that are out of your control.

DOC and PD, everything is second guessed, your trained to do your job but then afraid to do it because of the liabilities.

DOC 1 night on the overnight, a transsexual inmate was trying to hang him/herself so my partner went in to cut the guy down. I notified my supervisor to cover myself and have the inmate removed to mental observation.. my supervisors response was "F*** that faggot he's faking it don't pay him any mind". Now if by the morning time that inmate would of killed him/herself, I'd take a lot of blame for that along with my partners for the night, and the supervisor would deny I ever told her... and i'd be potentially sued by inmates family/fired.

Forum Member

Another good benefit of FDNY compared to pd and doc is theres less liabilities/things to get in trouble for that are out of your control.

DOC and PD, everything is second guessed, your trained to do your job but then afraid to do it because of the liabilities.

DOC 1 night on the overnight, a transsexual inmate was trying to hang him/herself so my partner went in to cut the guy down. I notified my supervisor to cover myself and have the inmate removed to mental observation.. my supervisors response was "F*** that faggot he's faking it don't pay him any mind". Now if by the morning time that inmate would of killed him/herself, I'd take a lot of blame for that along with my partners for the night, and the supervisor would deny I ever told her... and i'd be potentially sued by inmates family/fired.

Forum Member

Mothers want their children to be lawyers or doctors. Fathers want em to be cops or firemen, at least in my experience. The second option seems much more exciting.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 101
    List #: 20xx

Thread Information