Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153553 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 20348
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I attended the Brooklyn session yesterday as well and was blown away by the very professional presentation. I really have to commend all who put it together especially the main FF who did most of the lecture. The information presented could have easily been very dry and boring, but was made interesting because he kept it light and funny throughout the entire day. Besides the actual test material, he also did a nice job describing the FDNY culture. He emphasized what it means to be a member and that YOU will have to adapt to the ways and traditions of the job and not the other way around. There were people of all races in attendance and everyone was treated with the utmost respect. They even went as far as discussing the importance of being able to work with people of all colors and backgrounds.

Some quick test related points:

-They did address the 4 categories that should be always agree-always disagree. But they also recommended we answer all of them that way. They said that Firefighters should be steadfast in their thinking and not wishy washy. They said that the agree/disagree option is like saying "Yeah I kinda agree/disagree." I don't know if the grading system will feel the same way but that is their opinion.
    -The video portion emphasized the importance of taking good notes. Watch the video the first time w/out taking notes and just absorb what you are seeing. The 2nd time you should take notes and the 3rd time is a chance to catch whatever you missed. Practice taking notes with abbreviations and short sentences, you only have enough time to right the main points.
    -Information ordering seemed to trip some guys up. Practice. Practice. Practice.

I strongly recommend this class. Lesson plan B will cover the same material, just differently worded questions. So if you missed A, you can still benefit form the B session. For the guys that can't make it, spend the $50 and buy the Don Mcnea prep.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not for nothing but I know alot of people went to the study course hosted by the Vulcans.... why wont anyone just give over the study book so we can all have it. There should be no reason for us to spend 50 buck on a prep book.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Not for nothing but I know alot of people went to the study course hosted by the Vulcans.... why wont anyone just give over the study book so we can all have it. There should be no reason for us to spend 50 buck on a prep book.
    If you want the job that bad like I and others do, do whatever it takes to get ready. 50 bucks is nothing compared to what I spent on classes and gyms to get ready ahead of time. I'm not saying this to insult you but look at it this way, in the long run all the money you paid to get in the FDNY will be repaid back to you. Whenever your on the job you will remember the time and effort you put in to get the job. Plus you don't know what kind of legal issues may arise from making a study material public. Permission has to be granted and don McNea won't let this happen because it ls money they are losing. Try to attend a meeting or buy the study book.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Forum Member

Theres actually a good reason to spend the $50... How bout an opportunity to get the best job in the world? $50 is a bargain...

MembersZone Subscriber

ok maybe it came out wrong. Its not the 50 bucks... I am not that cheap lol. I am just hoping that the material provided to the Vulcans is the same as the one I will purchase. I dont want to be looking over material that does not match what was given during the Vulcans review.

Why won't anyone just give you the study guide?
    There should be no reason for you to spend $50?

Maybe not, but what else do you want handed to you?
    Yes it sucks. But if you want it, you need to suck it up.
    Fifty dollars is not that much.

**Don't forget, guys are having to pay ($20?) for the VS sessions too.

(Skavenger, I actually agree with something you wrote.)
    Last edited by ffbam24; 03-04-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Forum Member

yes nobody should have to risk getting in legal trouble to save you $50 bucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    yes nobody should have to risk getting in legal trouble to save you $50 bucks.
    So if we share any written materials on this forum we risk getting ourselves in legal troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by enwhycee1 View Post
    So if we share any written materials on this forum we risk getting ourselves in legal troubles?
    Yes, before making ridiculous decisions I would recommend to look into it. You can't expect to post someone else's work and get away with it. The company is not Gonna get stuck with a thumb in there mouths.

Forum Member

for you guys who have gotten in to the vulcans prep classes since the fiasco in queens, have you signed up online? I assume you still werent on their list, so did they make you wait until all the ppl on their list checked in? i signed up for the queens class, but obviously it didnt matter.

Forum Member

I signed up online, but they didn't check any list to let us in. They just took our name, address and twenty bucks and we were in right away. No waiting, no separate lines.

I only attended the one in Bed-Stuy so I can't speak for the other ones.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    I signed up online, but they didn't check any list to let us in. They just took our name, address and twenty bucks and we were in right away. No waiting, no separate lines.

I only attended the one in Bed-Stuy so I can't speak for the other ones.

awesome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    awesome, thanks.
    Go to the one in Brooklyn. The guy that was on the news the other day was there. You know the guy that was denied access to the one in queens and was recorded on camera and then interviewed by the reporter.

Forum Member

I was able to locate the second video that I remember watching at the Vulcan session A class here is the link Tonight's Sky: February 2012. The video only lasted approximately 3 mins not the entire 6:50. If you attended portion B of the Vulcan information session can anyone chime in please thank you.

UPDATED:

Here is the lesson Plan A from when I attended the Vulcan meeting in Brooklyn.

If you would like the Lesson Plan A PM and I will e-mail it to you
    Last edited by prospectff; 03-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Forum Member

by any chance, does anyone know if you have to undergo the CFR-D training thats required if you're already EMT-B certified?
    Last edited by Baritome; 03-07-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Forum Member

Youll get the same training, but you wont have to pay for it. You will be the go-to-guy in the squad for help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baritome View Post
    by any chance, does anyone know if you have to undergo the CFR-D training required by fdny if you're already EMT-B certified?
    To Persist is to Conquer.

By any chance did anyone get an email from fdny? And if so did you check out the PDF tutorial? What did you think?

Here is the link in case you don't have it

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...utorials.shtml
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

Ordered the Don McNea. FDNY already had an old study guide covering the Written Comprehension, Written Expresion, Ordering, Deductive and Inductive reasoning so I guess I spent $50 on Background and Mathematics. Oh well, it will be worth if I get that perfect score...

Forum Member

so the don mcnea IS the guide to study from? if my memory serves me correctly, the test booklets given out for the study sessions back in 2006 (the pdf that has the red cover) or whatever it was weren't helpful for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Ordered the Don McNea. FDNY already had an old study guide covering the Written Comprehension, Written Expresion, Ordering, Deductive and Inductive reasoning so I guess I spent $50 on Background and Mathematics. Oh well, it will be worth if I get that perfect score...
    Did you check out the new study guide they just posted on the FDNY website?
    Check It out.....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...utorials.shtml

Thread Information