Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Honestly 6019 was a fair test because we all got surprised by the personality section equally. But if there was a special book that you had to buy to know about that section or an exclusive course THEN it would've been BS. But as it were we all had the same disadvantages in that section.
    That's exactly the point I'm making, I've taken a decent amount of civil service exams and for this very reason 6019 was the fairest test I've ever taken.

Referring to the SAT issue, I can assure you the schools you applied for didn't help you in any fashion. The high schools you attended may have but definitely not the colleges you were trying to get into. Not for FREE at least.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 03-16-2012 at 01:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good luck guys.

To the guys taking the test. If you've prepared and studied, then there is not much more you can do. It may sound silly, but for test day, get a good night's sleep, have a good meal before hand and try to have a clear head. There is an insane amount of people applying for the job so you need any little advantage you can get. If you know the material then don't let something stupid like fatigue, stress or impatience get the best of you. If there are sections of the test that are not timed, then take your time and double check your work. You want to be 150% sure on questions you know you've got in the bag. Also, if allowed, take notes on what questions are confusing or worded strangely. In the past, there have been protest events where you go and argue questions and points are awarded to people who got the questions wrong or, in other words, questions get thrown out. If you can't take notes, then as soon as you get out of the test write down what you can remember about messed up questions while it's fresh in your mind. I would say that once all the testing is done you can even come on here and discuss some of these questions and might be suprised at how many other people feel the same way as you do. Good luck, stay or get in shape, stay clean and out of trouble.

Forum Member

I haven't taken 2000 yet, but generally you are not allowed to take your notes home with you. However at the protest, they'll show you the questions and choices again.

That is as long as they do it this way again...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Forum Member

I remember reading a few people say a few practice Q's had the wrong answers listed, but can't find what section they were on. Can anyone fill me in? Tried using the sites search feature but it keeps crashing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I remember reading a few people say a few practice Q's had the wrong answers listed, but can't find what section they were on. Can anyone fill me in? Tried using the sites search feature but it keeps crashing.
    Question 15 where to check for a pulse on an infants arm in the Video section. If you watch the video till the end it gives the wrong answer. But if you actually check the PDF for the answers it has the correct answer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Question 15 where to check for a pulse on an infants arm in the Video section. If you watch the video till the end it gives the wrong answer. But if you actually check the PDF for the answers it has the correct answer.
    Thanks. Was that the only one? I think I found a few in the reading comp.

Forum Member

Thanks. Was that the only one? I think I found a few in the reading comp.
    I think that was in the Vulcan/Don McNea book. For the the FDNY tutorial it was just question 15 in the video.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dotherightthing View Post
    To the guys taking the test. If you've prepared and studied, then there is not much more you can do. It may sound silly, but for test day, get a good night's sleep, have a good meal before hand and try to have a clear head. There is an insane amount of people applying for the job so you need any little advantage you can get. If you know the material then don't let something stupid like fatigue, stress or impatience get the best of you. If there are sections of the test that are not timed, then take your time and double check your work. You want to be 150% sure on questions you know you've got in the bag. Also, if allowed, take notes on what questions are confusing or worded strangely. In the past, there have been protest events where you go and argue questions and points are awarded to people who got the questions wrong or, in other words, questions get thrown out. If you can't take notes, then as soon as you get out of the test write down what you can remember about messed up questions while it's fresh in your mind. I would say that once all the testing is done you can even come on here and discuss some of these questions and might be suprised at how many other people feel the same way as you do. Good luck, stay or get in shape, stay clean and out of trouble.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mine's tomorrow. High noon. Biggest exam of my life for sure, as I'm sure it's for everyone else here on the thread.

It's safe to say I've practiced more math in the last few weeks than I have in the past 10 years. As for the reading comp. questions, I can't answer them from the packets again because I memorized all the answers. I've just been going over the personality questions. Again, with that, nothing more you can do. Show that you're a people person and don't take your life or your health so seriously. Just give the most politically correct answer.

BTW, VERY IMPORTANT:

If you finish a section and move on to the next one, you CANNOT go back to the previous section, so you'd better be 1,000% sure of your answers before you move on. I'm double and triple checking every answer, re-reading and re-re-reading each question. Gotta cover all the bases.

I've said it before, but it cannot be stated enough...Don't underestimate ANYTHING on this test, because one missed word and you'll end up with a wrong answer and potentially a couple of thousand numbers added to your list number.

Good luck to everybody taking it. Hopefully we'll all be in the academy soon enough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think that was in the Vulcan/Don McNea book. For the the FDNY tutorial it was just question 15 in the video.

How about this one..

In the city's handout, the Nutrition Facts reading, page 65....question 11. Shouldn't the answer be D.31, not C. 3?

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mine's tomorrow. High noon. Biggest exam of my life for sure, as I'm sure it's for everyone else here on the thread.

It's safe to say I've practiced more math in the last few weeks than I have in the past 10 years. As for the reading comp. questions, I can't answer them from the packets again because I memorized all the answers. I've just been going over the personality questions. Again, with that, nothing more you can do. Show that you're a people person and don't take your life or your health so seriously. Just give the most politically correct answer.

BTW, VERY IMPORTANT:

If you finish a section and move on to the next one, you CANNOT go back to the previous section, so you'd better be 1,000% sure of your answers before you move on. I'm double and triple checking every answer, re-reading and re-re-reading each question. Gotta cover all the bases.

I've said it before, but it cannot be stated enough...Don't underestimate ANYTHING on this test, because one missed word and you'll end up with a wrong answer and potentially a couple of thousand numbers added to your list number.

Good luck to everybody taking it. Hopefully we'll all be in the academy soon enough.
    Mine is tomorrow at noon, as well. GL.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enwhycee1 View Post
    Mine is tomorrow at noon, as well. GL.
    Thanks man you too. You're taking the test in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

Forum Member

How about this one..

In the city's handout, the Nutrition Facts reading, page 65....question 11. Shouldn't the answer be D.31, not C. 3?

Am I reading this incorrectly?
    Just checked it, looks like another mistake.

Forum Member

The video section is my biggest concern. I need to write faster.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

For the guys who took the exam yesterday, did they give you an appointment review sheet? Did they explain exactly what that was? Thanx

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone else taking it at studio square tomorrow at 4?

Forum Member

Took test today! Stop worrying if you watch the tutorial videos fdny put out you will be fine just relax.

Forum Member

To the guys that took the test already, are calculators allowed, as mentioned on the NOE?

Several classes I have been to said calculators are not permitted. Not sure if they were just saying that to get us to study harder or what.

Forum Member

Whoever takes the test, runs back here and gives hints to anyone else should really be disqualified no matter how small or irrelevant the info is, why help the competition?? Maybe its just me but whats fair is fair and for me being one of the first to take the test I really feel at a disadvantage, we went into the test blind. All I will say is I think they do try to throw you off in some places...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    To the guys that took the test already, are calculators allowed, as mentioned on the NOE?

Several classes I have been to said calculators are not permitted. Not sure if they were just saying that to get us to study harder or what.

Just curious why everyone keeps thinking calculators are allowed when the NOE and Admission Notice clearly states,

"Calculators and electronic devices with alphabetic keyboard or with word processing or data recording abilities such as planners, organizers, etc. are not permitted."

Forum Member

this is insane....over a decade ago, Obama taught a law class where he came up with a fictitious city that had a "race problem" in their fire dept. His solution was a dumbed down test, and a lottery there after....sound familiar?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ama-con-law-II

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

this is insane....over a decade ago, Obama taught a law class where he came up with a fictitious city that had a "race problem" in their fire dept. His solution was a dumbed down test, and a lottery there after....sound familiar?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ama-con-law-II
    Does anyone know how dcas would conduct their tiebreakers? Like I know it's the ss#'s but does anyone the exact sequence?
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Forum Member

I took the test today.
    The situation was a lot more civil and orderly than the 6019 test.
    For me the 6019 test was a huge mob of people slowly filing in a high school to use ancient scan trons.
    The 2000 test had barely any line and was just a few dozen people at a time.
    I was seated promptly at a semi private cubicle area and used a computer and a booklet which you can write notes on with a provided pencil.

Th best tip I can give is this:
    You can bring your cell phone, media player or any electronic device because they provide a large zip lock bag which you put everything inside of.
    You place the large zip lock bag under your desk for the duration of the test.

Regarding the test itself, the admission form said we are not allowed to talk about it, also you agree a second time to not discuss anything on it.

Here is some advice about the job from a friend who is in the FDNY (warning paraphrasing and this is meant to discourage you if you are on the fence):

This job is extremely dangerous and it has to be taken seriously. I don't suggest you go through with it unless you plan on putting your life in danger for your co-workers and strangers on a daily basis.
    The pay looks good but you can die very easily and very quickly and no amount of benefits can fix death as of yet.

Have you been in a life or death situation or witnessed one up close and in person? How did you handle it? Should people look to you when their family is burning alive or trapped under a rolled over SUV? If you are the type of person who cannot stay focused and keep your cool while seeing people die or being severely hurt on a regular basis then this is not the job you are looking for.

Basically what he meant was to be honest with yourself and everyone around you. It is OK if you are not the type of guy or girl who can see and smell humans missing limbs and being burnt alive. It's not a game and there are tons of other city jobs that have great benefits if that is mainly what you are looking for.

Sure you might get a badass story about saving 2 baby's and their attractive mother. But more than likely it will be you getting 3rd degree burns dragging some homeless guy out of a blazing abandoned building because he passed out while lighting his crack pipe.

If I make it on the FDNY I want to be surrounded by people who are truly motivated to be a firefighter and not by any humps praying to get injured just enough to get 3/4ths.

Good luck and make sure this is what you really want to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Just curious why everyone keeps thinking calculators are allowed when the NOE and Admission Notice clearly states,

"Calculators and electronic devices with alphabetic keyboard or with word processing or data recording abilities such as planners, organizers, etc. are not permitted."
    Read that again.

Forum Member

To me it reads "calculators......and ......electronic devices with alphabetic keyboards..."

C'mon now fellas. Why the hell would they allow calculators?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Read that again.
    Not trying to be rude or a dick but it says no calculators, in clear writing. Just don't see what the confusion has been. Just like in grade school no means no.

Thread Information