Like Tree9854Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #13226
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Any updates or rumors coming from medicals about the number of PHs and EMS guys for the January class?
    I'm pretty sure late August or mid September is my guess since EMS did everything but the medicals

  2. #13227
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I keep reading people posting that they got their medicals.. If you got your medical, does that pretty much mean your going to be in the January class or no? im late 900's.. is july '14 a possibility for my list number?

  3. #13228
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I keep reading people posting that they got their medicals.. If you got your medical, does that pretty much mean your going to be in the January class or no? im late 900's.. is july '14 a possibility for my list number?
    Hey John246. No, getting your medical now does not mean that you will be in the January class. If you get your medical now, it means there is at least a decent chance you could be in the January class, but it definitely does not guarantee that you will be in. With your list number, I would have to say that July '14 should be a definite...but who knows for sure with this process. Im sitting at very low 300's and still nervous about January, lol! Good luck with everything!

  4. #13229
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    Hey John246. No, getting your medical now does not mean that you will be in the January class. If you get your medical now, it means there is at least a decent chance you could be in the January class, but it definitely does not guarantee that you will be in. With your list number, I would have to say that July '14 should be a definite...but who knows for sure with this process. Im sitting at very low 300's and still nervous about January, lol! Good luck with everything!
    if you don't get in January with low 300's, I don't see how late 900s would be a definite for july '14.. im worried about not getting in july '14 and having to wait until 2015 to get in.

  5. #13230
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    ya, getting your medical is usually a really good sign they think you're in, or at least have a shot at the next class. If they give medicals out to 300+ list #'s after yours you're pretty much in. I think it depends on where your list # falls in the scheme of how many meds they processed. They def dont want to process a lot of guys on their medical and then not have them get to the academy for 8+ months.

  6. #13231
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Hey guys, just a quick update;

    The stairs got me today too fellas. SUCKS! So I'm going back Tuesday to knock out my 8 minutes. I didn't even get the vest on today. Fell short on my warm up by 10 beats. I overheard two of the LT's talking about a prior candidate who was on the stairs the other day. They said he was the shape of a pear (like the fruit), meaning I guess he had some thunder thighs, and he passed the stair master. And yet an ex-marine in my group today didn't even come close. Not too sure how that works out....

    But a gentleman by the name Frank (massive dark skinned man) gave us a good chat. He told us as of Tuesday there have been 47 drop outs from the class. (New number?) He also stressed the importance of shaving and proper attire.

    Lastly, I'm not sure anyone mentioned this about the medical before but my appointment was at 6:45am, I didn't get out until 1pm. So don't make plans the day of your medical. You have to wait until everyone is done with everything before you can leave. (not complaining, just giving guys the heads up)

    Good luck guys!

  7. #13232
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Hey guys, just a quick update;

    The stairs got me today too fellas. SUCKS! So I'm going back Tuesday to knock out my 8 minutes. I didn't even get the vest on today. Fell short on my warm up by 10 beats. I overheard two of the LT's talking about a prior candidate who was on the stairs the other day. They said he was the shape of a pear (like the fruit), meaning I guess he had some thunder thighs, and he passed the stair master. And yet an ex-marine in my group today didn't even come close. Not too sure how that works out....

    But a gentleman by the name Frank (massive dark skinned man) gave us a good chat. He told us as of Tuesday there have been 47 drop outs from the class. (New number?) He also stressed the importance of shaving and proper attire.

    Lastly, I'm not sure anyone mentioned this about the medical before but my appointment was at 6:45am, I didn't get out until 1pm. So don't make plans the day of your medical. You have to wait until everyone is done with everything before you can leave. (not complaining, just giving guys the heads up)

    Good luck guys!
    If you dont mind and this goes for anyone who took the stairs and failed....

    How fast are doing 1.5 miles and are you training on a stair mill with a weight vest

  8. #13233
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    sitting in the 650-670 range and still have not received my medical date. should I be nervous? I am going to give my investigator a call first thing monday morning.

  9. #13234
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    If you dont mind and this goes for anyone who took the stairs and failed....

    How fast are doing 1.5 miles and are you training on a stair mill with a weight vest
    Yeah Np

    I haven't actually tried the exact 1.5 mile run, but I have a 2 mile path I do and I usually finish around 13 mins. So I guess my 1.5 will be around a 10 and change? (considering my second mile is probably slower than my first)

    As for the weighted vest, I've been hitting the stairs ever since I got my investigation packet and was training for CPAT. I usually rock a 40lb vest and hold a 25lb plate and do 12-15 mins at a time, straight into push ups, pull ups and sit ups.

    I'm tellin you man, I was more prepared then ever for that stair master, still didn't help. They way it works is, they take your vitals in a nice quiet small room. Also while lying down. Quite the relaxed environment. That's where they extracted my "normal heart rate" which was most likely lower than normal. Which evidently makes the warm up round harder because you cannot exceed double your normal heart rate. So take that into account when they're doing your vitals. It didn't occur to me until I was walking out. But again, most guys fail it the first time. We had 23 candidates today and only 3 passed.
    coldblood92 likes this.

  10. #13235
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    142

    Default Really messed this up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    my mother as well as many other mothers of guys on here are probably not happy in our decision to become firemen....but do you guys think this job is more dangerous in general compared to NYPD?
    I don't know if you saw my original post but please disregard it. That clearly is not the words to best suit a response to your question. Your choice is your choice alone and you really shouldn't rely on any outside parties, including this forum and your parents, to make the choice for you.

    To tackle the danger portion of your question: The danger is very much real! I apologize for trying to sugar-coat it on the actual post but it is beyond real and everyone who has been employed and hopefully those who are signing up do know that. If you want valid statistics, they're online.

    Clearly I misspoke when talking about this. Both NYPD and FDNY are honorable professions. Each one offer many rewards and benefits from performing certain duties. My opinion remains the same on which one is better but I apologize for any offensive commentary.
    Last edited by bay_ridge_FF; 08-19-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Offensive post and retracting of words

  11. #13236
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    it feels to good to be true the idea of being a fire fighter.. im just too hopeful and excited for this opportunity that I want it to come sooner than later to actually believe it.

  12. #13237
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    have you gotten your psych?

  13. #13238
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    84

    Default

    I got my medical last week, but no word yet on psych im low 600's

  14. #13239
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Yeah Np

    I haven't actually tried the exact 1.5 mile run, but I have a 2 mile path I do and I usually finish around 13 mins. So I guess my 1.5 will be around a 10 and change? (considering my second mile is probably slower than my first)

    As for the weighted vest, I've been hitting the stairs ever since I got my investigation packet and was training for CPAT. I usually rock a 40lb vest and hold a 25lb plate and do 12-15 mins at a time, straight into push ups, pull ups and sit ups.

    I'm tellin you man, I was more prepared then ever for that stair master, still didn't help. They way it works is, they take your vitals in a nice quiet small room. Also while lying down. Quite the relaxed environment. That's where they extracted my "normal heart rate" which was most likely lower than normal. Which evidently makes the warm up round harder because you cannot exceed double your normal heart rate. So take that into account when they're doing your vitals. It didn't occur to me until I was walking out. But again, most guys fail it the first time. We had 23 candidates today and only 3 passed.
    Our very own forum member was one of the 3 to pass lol "johnsmith" great job man will be joining you soon. I was also there that day and that guy frank is the man, very funny guy also helpful. He did mention 47 have gone out to date. Also small tip for anyone that has at least a week before your medical you can get a tb shot from your own doctor to knock out a step and save an extra trip to Metrotech.

  15. #13240
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Honestly, I feel that being a firefighter is more rewarding than being a cop but both are equally dangerous. Every now and then, you hear of a firefighter losing his life or getting hurt on the job but not as much as you hear a cop being shot by a person on the street. The sad reality is: as a firefighter, people know you died doing the right thing and it resonates out into the community. If you die as a cop, (and this is my personal opinion by the way and should not be taken the wrong way) then are those wonder why such senseless violence would occur and behold grudges and animosity towards the wrong things like ethnicity and poor neighborhoods.
    Ok, resist the urge to post on this forum.
    FDNY exam 2000
    score: 104
    list # 3xx
    "Where I lack in experience, I more than make up for with inexperience."

  16. #13241
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Honestly, I feel that being a firefighter is more rewarding than being a cop but both are equally dangerous. Every now and then, you hear of a firefighter losing his life or getting hurt on the job but not as much as you hear a cop being shot by a person on the street. The sad reality is: as a firefighter, people know you died doing the right thing and it resonates out into the community. If you die as a cop, (and this is my personal opinion by the way and should not be taken the wrong way) then are those wonder why such senseless violence would occur and behold grudges and animosity towards the wrong things like ethnicity and poor neighborhoods.
    Nothing like a paragraph filled with words, but completely devoid of fact or rationality. First of all, great, you'd rather be a fireman. Hopefully when you're tending to a gun shot victim in the streets at 3am, those guys in blue watching you're back, find being a cop more rewarding. Secondly, and sadly enough, you say "every once in a while" you hear of a fireman getting killed. Well, unfortunately, the FDNY has many more line of duty deaths than any other city agency. So, your posting smacks of complacency and I'd say most cops AND firemen would find it insultingly callous.
    My1Goal and Bellestoria like this.

  17. #13242
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

    For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (40) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:30 with 2min rest
    800m cool down

    Hey guys I dont know how many of you are using my workouts. But i know for a fact at least one person is, so thats enough reason for me to write this little thing.

    If you have followed my posts you know I havent posted in a couple weeks. I took two weeks off from training to let some small injuries heal up.

    When i came back to training I was going to go about 3% slower than I was going previously. I failed hard on my first workout. After some research I found that if an individual takes 2 weeks off from training that person will lose approximately 10% of there VO2 max capacity. If you take 1 week of from training you lose a negotiable amount of cardiovascular capacity. And the other number I remember is about you lose about 25% of VO2 max after not training for 12 weeks. Just something for everyone to keep in mind.

    Some other things...I previously wanted to keep my miles low and increase speed. Mainly training specifically for the medical and CPAT. I have since decided that is short sighted. Im yet to get back the size in my legs when I played soccer in college. But after peeking down at my legs I realized there is no way I can be as efficient as I was. For soccer I was probably running average of 60 miles a week. Now im not even doing 20. The goal now is to increase my distance and times. And I have also added biking. I plan on possibly entering a duathlon. Think this will be a great motivator to stay in shape after probie school as well.

    P.S. Sry if this was all over the place. Randomness before I put my head on a pillow
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  18. #13243
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Hey guys, any realistic chance I eventually get called at 46xx? (assuming they don't extend the list for whatever reason)

  19. #13244
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    84

    Default

    I think you have a chance at it if your under 5000. As the list goes on, the rate of hire down since a lot of guys wont want it or will lose interest.

  20. #13245
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks for the shout out @Grok350 I know you're going to kill it when you go back.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  21. #13246
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Nothing like a paragraph filled with words, but completely devoid of fact or rationality. First of all, great, you'd rather be a fireman. Hopefully when you're tending to a gun shot victim in the streets at 3am, those guys in blue watching you're back, find being a cop more rewarding. Secondly, and sadly enough, you say "every once in a while" you hear of a fireman getting killed. Well, unfortunately, the FDNY has many more line of duty deaths than any other city agency. So, your posting smacks of complacency and I'd say most cops AND firemen would find it insultingly callous.
    Extremely Well Put
    NYPDtoFD likes this.

  22. #13247
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    What is the point of the FDNY's recruitment # 718-999-fdny? Everytime I call this number to get an update on the status of exam exam 2000 and where they are in terms of reaching my list number, they always say "I don't know".. and any other question I ask they never know.. wtf is the point of this number is everytime I call they can never answer any questions, and I'm left still not knowing anything? the test is given every 4-5 years, so what is the purpose of this recruitment number lol

  23. #13248
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    846

    Default

    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  24. #13249
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    Guess I haven't been the only one hitting refresh every 10 minutes
    TomFromQueens and NycQ83 like this.

  25. #13250
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    call the fdny recruitment number.. they'll be able to tell you nothing. lol
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (7 members and 5 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. apples&oranges,
  3. DannyD0pe,
  4. Ffs2be,
  5. Matador611,
  6. prospect,
  7. Smoove

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register