Like Tree9617Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

My buddy who's in the academy told me Sunday that there were 31 drops, if the number is up to 50 now that is just sad.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Also, if anyone is interested, look up the book 'A season on the Mat' by Nolan Zavoral or do a little research on Dan Gable. You'll find some good insights on what it means to work hard and have some toughness.
    Wrestling is definitely a sport that teaches about work ethic, responsibility, and toughness!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Quick question for anyone OTJ...I keep hearing people in the academy going out on medical leave due to injuries and whatnot, and that they will most likely recycle. My question is: what is their status while out on medical leave from the academy? Are they still employed by FDNY and are they still on the payroll and remain in the pension system? My thought on this is I'm trying to get into the best shape of my life so that I can get through the academy and be a successful firefighter once I am out in the field, but of course s**t still happens. People in the best of shape can get injured. And I was just wondering lately what would happen if I were to get injured and have to go on medical leave with the plan of recycling into the following class? Would I be out of a job and income for 6 months? Obviously, that could be a major problem with bills to pay and a family to support. So I think it's a legitimate concern and I just thought I would get some insight on that. Thanks.

dont worry about those guys that are getting recycled
    dont put it in your mind, what IF you get hurt.
    just focus on what you have to do, exercise, stretch, be careful, and you'll be alright

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Have there really been 50 drops so far? That seems too unbelievable to believe.
    Yes according to metro tech the class started with 330 and 50 have either resigned or on light duty. 3 resigned just the other day. We were told they 2 ph and 1 EMS.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FuDsNmYc View Post
    Yes according to metro tech the class started with 330 and 50 have either resigned or on light duty. 3 resigned just the other day. We were told they 2 ph and 1 EMS.
    Guys, before you get riled up about the "drops" let's make sure we understand what that means. A guy who is on medical leave IS NOT a drop; he remains part of the academy class until he either goes on light duty or misses too much training to continue with that class. In either case, he has the option to recycle into the next class or resign. Just because someone goes in to medical and is on medical leave for a day or two DOES NOT mean he gets dropped. The Rock is rough, and you are going to get hurt; don't be quick to assume ALL of these guys are malingering. That said, bumps, bruises and boo boos are no reason to be tapping out.

This is something that's been talked about on this job for awhile. The PHs are here to stay; they're going to be given as many chances as they need. Quite honestly, the only people who can get rid of them are themselves by quitting. So fully expect that any one of them who doesn't quit outright WILL be recycled into the next class. Hang in there, keep training hard, and your time will come. Wasting your energy railing against a system that you will never be able to change is just that; a waste.

Forum Member

Whether it's people on medical leave or people that have resigned, 50 still seems like a lot. drop was a bad term to use.

Forum Member

"Hang in there, keep training hard, and your time will come. Wasting your energy railing against a system that you will never be able to change is just that; a waste."

Which is why all I wanna do is focus on training as much as possible and Breaking Bad.
    TomFromQueens and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Post deleted
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 08-21-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

My friend took his medical today. He was 1 of 9 candidates out of 100 plus to pass the heart rate Stairmaster test on their 1st try. He's 36 years old. He was also told by a FF conducting the exam that over 50 candidates have already tapped out from the current class.

I wouldn't mind it if all the priority hires quit the academy. They never earned their spot and none of them deserve to be there.

I scored in hiring range on 6019 and on exam 2000. So basically I earned my spot 2 times yet some "priority hire" who never scored in hiring range is in the academy before me. all because they couldn't pass a 4th grade reading comp exam in 1999 and 2002. Hearing about the Priority hire failures brings a smile to my face. The rock will break them down. Vulcan society...what a joke!!
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 08-21-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    "Hang in there, keep training hard, and your time will come. Wasting your energy railing against a system that you will never be able to change is just that; a waste."

Which is why all I wanna do is focus on training as much as possible and Breaking Bad.
    Yep, you pretty much summed up the rest of the year for me. 4 more months of hard training and 6 more episodes of Heisenberg.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Yep, you pretty much summed up the rest of the year for me. 4 more months of hard training and 6 more episodes of Heisenberg.
    Dexter is the best show on Sunday nights. You Breaking Bad people confuse me.
    FDEngine likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Honestly dude, I thought I knew you. I'm sick to my stomach right now. I hope we're not in the same academy...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=fdnybk;1381298]dont worry about those guys that are getting recycled
    dont put it in your mind, what IF you get hurt.
    just focus on what you have to do, exercise, stretch, be careful, and you'll be alright[/QUOTE

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going into this with a positive and confident attitude, and I'm training as much as I can. But I guess I'm the type who always tries to consider all case scenarios. And I was just curious about what someone's status is if they get injured in the academy. I agree with what everyone said as far as being able to tough it out through overuse injuries and all kinds of boo boos etc...I was really referring only to actual serious injuries that could happen. Thanks to all for the input though, my questions were answered.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Honestly dude, I thought I knew you. I'm sick to my stomach right now. I hope we're not in the same academy...
    Haha I love to stir the pot. Never got into BB when it premiered. I'll have to Netflix it before the academy...God knows I have enough time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    And I thought you were good peoples.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

As per assistant deputy chief today as I was in medicals, there have been only 25 people drop out!

Forum Member

The terms of recycling seem to be loose as well. Someone freaked out in smoke house from clostrophobia(which they didnt know they had but that situation brought it to light) and she plans on spending the next 6 months training to overcome that and re enter the January class.

So doesn't have to be just medical.

Forum Member

U know what would be really embarrassing? Talking sh*t on this forum about people that had to go on medical leave or drop and then when it's your time at the rock u have to go on medical leave or drop. My point is most of aren't there and some of us ain't never going to be there so I wouldn't talk about something I am not experiencing for myself. but that's just me.

Forum Member

I dont believe it...but a kid my sister is friends with (list #9xx) said on facebook "today the FDNY called me for my physical"...I looked him up on the list and he is on it...im sitting upper 8xx and i just was like HUH?
    Last edited by coldblood92; 08-21-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Forum Member

It's not possible. Maybe he's talking about ems

Forum Member

I can say that the academy is grueling, exhausting, and exciting all at the same time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I can say that the academy is grueling, exhausting, and exciting all at the same time.
    It can't be that bad if you're posting here at 2330 on a weeknight.
    vekdoggs75, Sultan and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    The terms of recycling seem to be loose as well. Someone freaked out in smoke house from clostrophobia(which they didnt know they had but that situation brought it to light) and she plans on spending the next 6 months training to overcome that and re enter the January class.

So doesn't have to be just medical.
    There's no excuse for that.. Everyone should know before hand you can't be claustrophobic and everyone should know before hand if they are.. We had to do fire training in the DOC academy, and we had a big guy claiming he's too claustrophobic to put the oxygen mask on, and the instructors basically said "you had to answer false to that question on the psych otherwise you wouldn't be here now" and basically told him put up or shut up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    hahaha well said!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    hahaha well said!

Thread Information