Like Tree9527Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #13376
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    The guy with the dredds did cut his hair. Not shaved but cut it down to female bobber length(ear line) but him as well as many other of the PHs are failing horribly on the exams which means they should fail out of the academy but we all know anything can happen

  2. #13377
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    The guy with the dredds did cut his hair. Not shaved but cut it down to female bobber length(ear line) but him as well as many other of the PHs are failing horribly on the exams which means they should fail out of the academy but we all know anything can happen
    Why do you act like its just PHs failing, from what I see its a mixed group, EMTs and OCs.

  3. #13378
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Wait so this job ISN'T just like Chicago Fire or Backdraft? What did I apply for?
    My girl watches Chicago Fire. I tell her I can't watch it with her because the guys on the internet will make fun of me. She's got no clue, hahaha.
    River6019 and NycQ83 like this.

  4. #13379
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    My girl watches Chicago Fire. I tell her I can't watch it with her because the guys on the internet will make fun of me. She's got no clue, hahaha.
    Guys....it's not a bad show

  5. #13380
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    My girl watches Chicago Fire. I tell her I can't watch it with her because the guys on the internet will make fun of me. She's got no clue, hahaha.
    Granted.. It's not realistic, and sometimes sheds a bad light on first responders and isn't exactly correct in terms of sops/sogs..

    But.. They do cover a broad range of emergencies..and the 1 medic is cute.

    I like it..it's not rescue me... But it's better then the kardashians or the real housewifes..
    vekdoggs75 and Dannypanigale like this.

  6. #13381
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Why do you act like its just PHs failing, from what I see its a mixed group, EMTs and OCs.
    Say what you will, but the fact of the matter is, the ML/resignation rate is higher than any class to date. There are many reasons for this, some more glaring than others. The fact remains, men in the academy, all men shave there hair. Women keep it chopped short. But ONE guy is "special" and gets to keep is little braids. This attitude is dangerous and destructive. It reflects poorly on ever member of this current academy class to square him away. I had a **** up in my squad. One day after the day was over, we tied him to a fence and read him the riot act......hard. It worked. Some guys get the message differently......

    At this point, if Mr. Special gets to keep his hair, that all on you guys.

  7. #13382
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    stairmaster got me along with everyone else there today except 1 person. I should pass it on monday with a little more sleep...someone probably said this but the big African American guy who works there says January class can reach up to list #1200 if I understood him correctly.
    wishful thinking.. im in the late 900's and im only hoping I get called for july'14, but im starting to think that may be a long shot.. The way things are going with EMS and PH hiring and recycling guys, I can't even imagine how it would be possible for # 900 to get hired by January

    Lets do the math, they basically just started calling off OC list, they only need 300ish for January, so how are they going to go all the way up to 1200? I understand people get knocked off for what ever reason, but really 900 people from OC are going to be passed up for this class?

    I took the corrections test, a loser job that should be easy to get, and was told people could be hired in as little as 9 months from the day they took the test.. so that's why I took the test for a quick fix.. well 3 years went by, for a ****ty job no1 wants, before I even HEARD ANYTHING from that job.

    The FDNY, an already hard job to get, now got even harder for the average guy to get. No way they are even going to come close to hiring list # 1200.. Im afraid some of these people who are in the 600's going for their appointments now, might be screening for the july '14 class which would mean I wouldn't be getting in until 2015.

  8. #13383
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    wishful thinking.. im in the late 900's and im only hoping I get called for july'14, but im starting to think that may be a long shot.. The way things are going with EMS and PH hiring and recycling guys, I can't even imagine how it would be possible for # 900 to get hired by January

    Lets do the math, they basically just started calling off OC list, they only need 300ish for January, so how are they going to go all the way up to 1200? I understand people get knocked off for what ever reason, but really 900 people from OC are going to be passed up for this class?

    I took the corrections test, a loser job that should be easy to get, and was told people could be hired in as little as 9 months from the day they took the test.. so that's why I took the test for a quick fix.. well 3 years went by, for a ****ty job no1 wants, before I even HEARD ANYTHING from that job.

    The FDNY, an already hard job to get, now got even harder for the average guy to get. No way they are even going to come close to hiring list # 1200.. Im afraid some of these people who are in the 600's going for their appointments now, might be screening for the july '14 class which would mean I wouldn't be getting in until 2015.
    NOT COMPARING DEPARTMENTS ... But look at pd their hiring ratio Is high ...
    Which means its possible for this list to go high due to the fact that exam 2000 has a lot of trash in it .. Not everyone can be a middle wieght champion, not everyone can be the center field for the Yankees, not everyone can be a new york city fire figther.
    Bellestoria likes this.

  9. #13384
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Say what you will, but the fact of the matter is, the ML/resignation rate is higher than any class to date. There are many reasons for this, some more glaring than others. The fact remains, men in the academy, all men shave there hair. Women keep it chopped short. But ONE guy is "special" and gets to keep is little braids. This attitude is dangerous and destructive. It reflects poorly on ever member of this current academy class to square him away. I had a **** up in my squad. One day after the day was over, we tied him to a fence and read him the riot act......hard. It worked. Some guys get the message differently......

    At this point, if Mr. Special gets to keep his hair, that all on you guys.
    I hear you, and the fall out numbers are due to things I can't control. As far as the guy with the hair, I don't see him at all, he is in a different Platoon, so I never see him. It's the job of the squad and and squad leader to take control of their group. If another group has a member that does not want to follow the pack, it's up to them to fix the problem. I love my squad, we aren't the most athletic, nor the fastest as a whole, but we have guys that do every evolution, and help out each other as if we were family. At the end of this academy, I will miss my squad, they are a great group of guys, funny, and smart. And my squad has a mix bag of every list......
    As far as one forum member saying he doesn't want a PH to have his back at a fire, find another line if work, because from what they are teaching here, no man leaves another man behind.

  10. #13385
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    wishful thinking.. im in the late 900's and im only hoping I get called for july'14, but im starting to think that may be a long shot.. The way things are going with EMS and PH hiring and recycling guys, I can't even imagine how it would be possible for # 900 to get hired by January

    Lets do the math, they basically just started calling off OC list, they only need 300ish for January, so how are they going to go all the way up to 1200? I understand people get knocked off for what ever reason, but really 900 people from OC are going to be passed up for this class?

    I took the corrections test, a loser job that should be easy to get, and was told people could be hired in as little as 9 months from the day they took the test.. so that's why I took the test for a quick fix.. well 3 years went by, for a ****ty job no1 wants, before I even HEARD ANYTHING from that job.

    The FDNY, an already hard job to get, now got even harder for the average guy to get. No way they are even going to come close to hiring list # 1200.. Im afraid some of these people who are in the 600's going for their appointments now, might be screening for the july '14 class which would mean I wouldn't be getting in until 2015.
    I think you definitely have a shot for July 2014-- better yet I think you have a shot for January 2014--Think of it this way, for a class in 2008 it took them about 900 guys just to get 220 for the class. And that even goes for this past class- just to fill 20 spots it took them over 100 OC guys.

  11. #13386
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Why do you act like its just PHs failing, from what I see its a mixed group, EMTs and OCs.
    We're hearing different out here in the field. I'm sure a few EMTs are heading back to the ambulance (they always do), but given the drastic increase in ML and drops with this particular class, which has PHs, it only makes sense to assume they're the ones washing out. But as I've said, the only way they won't make it through is if they quit. The city will make sure they pass if the don't quit.

    I dunno, maybe the old timers crying doomsday for the job were right after all.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 08-23-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  12. #13387
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I dot act like its just PHs but I just know the vast majority of MLs and failing grades are PHs cuz I know people in the class.

    And on top of it I don't believe they deserve the opportunity they've been given. Some PHs have literally told people I know in there that they are in it to get the backpay and then they are out once they do. They are scum.

    I'm sure there are some EMS and OC guys who aren't doing as good as they should or could but the majority is PHs. Nor do I believe some of these people should be given a chance to recycle but that's life.

    I felt pretty positive I'd have a good shot at January with a list in the low 900's but with everything going on I too believe with all the recycles I won't make it till July.

  13. #13388
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I dot act like its just PHs but I just know the vast majority of MLs and failing grades are PHs cuz I know people in the class.

    And on top of it I don't believe they deserve the opportunity they've been given. Some PHs have literally told people I know in there that they are in it to get the backpay and then they are out once they do. They are scum.

    I'm sure there are some EMS and OC guys who aren't doing as good as they should or could but the majority is PHs. Nor do I believe some of these people should be given a chance to recycle but that's life.

    I felt pretty positive I'd have a good shot at January with a list in the low 900's but with everything going on I too believe with all the recycles I won't make it till July.
    Treat getting into the January class like a silly parlay. If it hits and you get in, ****ing sweet and drinks are on you. If it doesn't, you're good to go for July.

  14. #13389
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I dot act like its just PHs but I just know the vast majority of MLs and failing grades are PHs cuz I know people in the class.

    And on top of it I don't believe they deserve the opportunity they've been given. Some PHs have literally told people I know in there that they are in it to get the backpay and then they are out once they do. They are scum.

    I'm sure there are some EMS and OC guys who aren't doing as good as they should or could but the majority is PHs. Nor do I believe some of these people should be given a chance to recycle but that's life.

    I felt pretty positive I'd have a good shot at January with a list in the low 900's but with everything going on I too believe with all the recycles I won't make it till July.
    Just wondering where this idea that PHs could recycle came from? From my understanding the last word from the PHs that were posting on this forum was that they get one shot at the academy unless of a serious medical issue. I'm pretty sure you can't drop out of this class because of a sprained ankle or because you can't hack it and get another shot as a PH.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the last word we heard of it, from the actual PHs themselves? I don't think we should all start freaking out about 50 PH recycle's in the next class till there's some evidence of it happening.
    NycQ83 likes this.
    List # 12XX

  15. #13390
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Just wondering where this idea that PHs could recycle came from? From my understanding the last word from the PHs that were posting on this forum was that they get one shot at the academy unless of a serious medical issue. I'm pretty sure you can't drop out of this class because of a sprained ankle or because you can't hack it and get another shot as a PH.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the last word we heard of it, from the actual PHs themselves? I don't think we should all start freaking out about 50 PH recycle's in the next class till there's some evidence of it happening.
    exactly what I've been thinking. A couple of different priority hires said they can't recycle, and then out of no where all these fears of priority hires recycle came out. Not sure where it came from either. I know that there might be a possibility that they can recycle of they get hurt, but your telling me all, or even most, of these 50 guys (whether they are PH,EMS, or OC) are all hurt? Like I said before, I can see a good amount of guys resigning because of injury, but I find it hard to believe that most of these 50 guys resigned after only 3 weeks for any reason other than this job just isn't for them.

  16. #13391
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    298

    Default

    It is seriously such a bummer to hear about all these dudes washing out, when I just missed this class. I've been done with all my processing steps since April and the cut off for list numbers reached was right before my own. Every day I think about how if these guys didn't take up this space I could have been in there already. It honestly makes me feel like they are just going to forget that I'm on the list and skip over me.

    The only good thing that can come from this is that I have more time to train and I once again will have access to my school's gym that has the step mill, weighted vests and drag dummies.

  17. #13392
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    NOT COMPARING DEPARTMENTS ... But look at pd their hiring ratio Is high ...
    Which means its possible for this list to go high due to the fact that exam 2000 has a lot of trash in it .. Not everyone can be a middle wieght champion, not everyone can be the center field for the Yankees, not everyone can be a new york city fire figther.
    lol centerfielder and middle weight is far more challenging than becoming a fire fighter.. im not talking about the fire academy, im talking about just getting through the hiring process to get hired for the academy..

    Running a mile and a half in 13 minutes.. how hard is that? Having a good backround with no arrests? how hard is that? the cpat doesn't look all that challenging.. I mean hundreds of people are going to get knocked off? I understand this list has crappy candidates, but that many people can't get through the hiring process to get on this job?

  18. #13393
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    It is seriously such a bummer to hear about all these dudes washing out, when I just missed this class. I've been done with all my processing steps since April and the cut off for list numbers reached was right before my own. Every day I think about how if these guys didn't take up this space I could have been in there already. It honestly makes me feel like they are just going to forget that I'm on the list and skip over me.

    The only good thing that can come from this is that I have more time to train and I once again will have access to my school's gym that has the step mill, weighted vests and drag dummies.
    same here.. I obviously wish to get in January, but my realistic expectations are for july, and im happy with that because that's more time to train at the gym that's provided to me at my job.

  19. #13394
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Sadly, I've never watched any of those shows because my thinking is that if healthcare professionals hate shows like Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, how do you think rescue workers feel about those shows.

    To tell you the truth, from what I gather from Chicago Fire: those get it on with a lot of EMS broads. From what I've seen at my medical exam, I wish life would imitate art.
    I used to watch rescue me back in the day.. I loved that show and thought it was a great show the 1st 2 seasons.. the 3rd season was ok and is where it started to fall. after the 4th season the show was horrible and un watchable.. It was a good drama with occasional funny moments the 1st 2 seasons, but after that they tried too hard to make the show funny and it got real lame, and even made the FDNY look stupid.

  20. #13395
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I hear you, and the fall out numbers are due to things I can't control. As far as the guy with the hair, I don't see him at all, he is in a different Platoon, so I never see him. It's the job of the squad and and squad leader to take control of their group. If another group has a member that does not want to follow the pack, it's up to them to fix the problem. I love my squad, we aren't the most athletic, nor the fastest as a whole, but we have guys that do every evolution, and help out each other as if we were family. At the end of this academy, I will miss my squad, they are a great group of guys, funny, and smart. And my squad has a mix bag of every list......
    As far as one forum member saying he doesn't want a PH to have his back at a fire, find another line if work, because from what they are teaching here, no man leaves another man behind.
    really? well they taught us at the corrections academy to ALWAYS have each others backs out there, they tell us at roll call everyday its us as a team out there, and the inmates.. easy concept right? well the people at my job who go along with this in the academy, don't have your back when it comes to inmates (shockingly), and these are the same type of people that are PH's that wont have your back in a dangerous situation.

    You see how fast people turn or freeze up when they don't have the heart to jump into danger with you.

    There's people on my job I can't stand and would love to see them get their *** kicked by an inmate the way they act, but I understand they are on my team, and I would always 100% of the time back them up and take a beating with them, then turn my back in a situation. Well people who are on this job as a PH, they don't seem to have that type of heart, if that's how they got on the job!

    I would never take a job from someone else, or take something im not entitled to. If I scored high on the list and someone flat out told me your not being hired cause your this race, yeah i'd fight for it, but if I didn't score well enough on the test to be hired in the 1st place, i'd gracefully accept that its not gonna happen for me, rather then accept a job on a false accusation.

    Somebody that was handpicked for this job because of their race, is different in my opinion, than somebody that wanted the job, worked hard for it, earned it, and is here for the right reasons! I wanted to be a firefighter so badly back then, and when I didn't score well enough on the test, I accepted the fact that its done and maybe in the distant future the next go around, I'd have a shot again.. so rather than sit and b*tch about it I went out and pursued other opportunities to make a living.

    And yeah keep believing that everyone have each others backs in the academy, just wait and see when your actually on the job, and facing a dangerous situation, if someone with little heart, will truly have your back.
    Last edited by John246; 08-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.

  21. #13396
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Yea I'm not gonna sit here and pout like a baby. I'd love to get January but I'm pretty much settled on I'm going to get July.

    As far as them not getting recycled, I'm sure the vulcans will find a way. If its only being out for injury than that'll be easy for them to get recycled.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  22. #13397
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844

    Default

    I know I know we shouldn't read the rant and I try not to but I work a very very boring office job and some times you do things you don't want to just to kill some time and I read something that has concerned me about residency points...

    you are wrong about moving out of state. If you move out of the city after the dates you will not be granted residency credit. When you begin your investigation the job will ask for all things that you provided for that year to be current as well as the old documents. what i mean is even if you can prove residency for the dates they are asking for if you can not provide current info residency may be denied. also if you read the entire residency requirements, if the job believes you are purposely trying to deceive the job you can be kicked off the list.

    I'm not out of state now I'm in Long Beach now but I'm incredibly anxious over this nonetheless. I know a few other guys are in a similar situation that have received packets and got the points thus far. Has anything changed in that regard. If I called up candidate investigations do you think they would anwer my question pertaining to this. I called up last year about this and they said I would still get the points as long as I proved residency during the window they wanted. I don't have a lease and I'm good with my money so I have a nice chunk of money for a rainy day so if worst comes to worst I'll find a way to move back to the city by the September 1st.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  23. #13398
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

    For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (40) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:30 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (41) 6 miles of biking
    1 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (42) 8 miles of hard biking - no run
    (43) 6 miles of biking
    1 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (44) 800m warm up
    3-1600m 7min w/ 3:30 rest
    800m cool down

    Sorry, I edited my workout day of. My other bike FINALLY was fixed. I averaged 14.4mph on a hybrid; breathe wise I wasnt dying but my quads were on fire. Not yet use to going that speed for that distance

  24. #13399
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I know I know we shouldn't read the rant and I try not to but I work a very very boring office job and some times you do things you don't want to just to kill some time and I read something that has concerned me about residency points...

    you are wrong about moving out of state. If you move out of the city after the dates you will not be granted residency credit. When you begin your investigation the job will ask for all things that you provided for that year to be current as well as the old documents. what i mean is even if you can prove residency for the dates they are asking for if you can not provide current info residency may be denied. also if you read the entire residency requirements, if the job believes you are purposely trying to deceive the job you can be kicked off the list.

    I'm not out of state now I'm in Long Beach now but I'm incredibly anxious over this nonetheless. I know a few other guys are in a similar situation that have received packets and got the points thus far. Has anything changed in that regard. If I called up candidate investigations do you think they would anwer my question pertaining to this. I called up last year about this and they said I would still get the points as long as I proved residency during the window they wanted. I don't have a lease and I'm good with my money so I have a nice chunk of money for a rainy day so if worst comes to worst I'll find a way to move back to the city by the September 1st.

    This is exactly why people say "don't read the rant"
    vekdoggs75 and TomFromQueens like this.

  25. #13400
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    This is exactly why people say "don't read the rant"
    I know I know, I have no one to blame but myself for going there lol. What I would give for a drink right now lol.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. dwm326,
  2. MikeLarryM35

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register