Like Tree9516Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #1326
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    To me, it reads that those devices with data entry are not allowed. I took a civil service exam last summer that was math-based and simple calculators were allowed. The NOE for that exam read the same way.

    Recommendation until a credible source says otherwise: Buy a cheap calculator. Ask the proctor if you can use it. If not, throw it away.

  2. #1327
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    To me, it reads that those devices with data entry are not allowed. I took a civil service exam last summer that was math-based and simple calculators were allowed. The NOE for that exam read the same way.

    Recommendation until a credible source says otherwise: Buy a cheap calculator. Ask the proctor if you can use it. If not, throw it away.

    I think DCAS is a reliable source. It says no calculators.

  3. #1328
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    You'll figure it out

  4. #1329
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    You'll figure it out

    I guess we all will find out soon enough, tomorrow for me.

    Best of luck to everyone.

  5. #1330
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    And to you!

    For the guys that took it today, how do you feel?

  6. #1331
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    I think DCAS is a reliable source. It says no calculators.

    I am almost positive we can't use calculators. I'm sure PSI runs a tighter ship than the city did for 6019, so if you bring one I would expect it to be taken away immediately.

  7. #1332
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Or, you can just know how to do long division. This is elementary stuff.

  8. #1333
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Another reading comp Q on the city's hand out....

    p.61 Q 8, the city has D as the answer. Since the question reads "which medicine should NOT be taken by people who consume more than three alcoholic drinks a day without consulting a doctor?"

    Shouldn't the answer be C. Both medicines, D. Neither medicines makes the statement a double negative.

    Am I reading this wrong? It seems like the Q was worded very awkwardly.

  9. #1334
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Wow. Just finished, that was intense!

  10. #1335
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    [QUOTE=enwhycee1;1322309]Wow. Just finished, that was intense![/

    Did it pick your brain a little?

  11. #1336
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Happy st.patricks day to all my fellow irish friends cheers.

  12. #1337
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rtech5 View Post

    Here is some advice about the job from a friend who is in the FDNY (warning paraphrasing and this is meant to discourage you if you are on the fence):

    This job is extremely dangerous and it has to be taken seriously. I don't suggest you go through with it unless you plan on putting your life in danger for your co-workers and strangers on a daily basis.
    The pay looks good but you can die very easily and very quickly and no amount of benefits can fix death as of yet.

    Have you been in a life or death situation or witnessed one up close and in person? How did you handle it? Should people look to you when their family is burning alive or trapped under a rolled over SUV? If you are the type of person who cannot stay focused and keep your cool while seeing people die or being severely hurt on a regular basis then this is not the job you are looking for.

    Basically what he meant was to be honest with yourself and everyone around you. It is OK if you are not the type of guy or girl who can see and smell humans missing limbs and being burnt alive. It's not a game and there are tons of other city jobs that have great benefits if that is mainly what you are looking for.

    Sure you might get a badass story about saving 2 baby's and their attractive mother. But more than likely it will be you getting 3rd degree burns dragging some homeless guy out of a blazing abandoned building because he passed out while lighting his crack pipe.

    If I make it on the FDNY I want to be surrounded by people who are truly motivated to be a firefighter and not by any humps praying to get injured just enough to get 3/4ths.

    Good luck and make sure this is what you really want to do.
    You just summed up the FDNY of the 1970s. haha Those things CAN happen but usually don't. I work in a large city myself in another urban fire department and like most large cities, it's not the same as it used to be. You don't go to fire that often. You may go a full year without seeing anything, even in NYC, depending on the company you're assigned to. You should definitely be willing to give your life but I just want to clear things up that things are different.

  13. #1338
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    You just summed up the FDNY of the 1970s. haha Those things CAN happen but usually don't. I work in a large city myself in another urban fire department and like most large cities, it's not the same as it used to be. You don't go to fire that often. You may go a full year without seeing anything, even in NYC, depending on the company you're assigned to. You should definitely be willing to give your life but I just want to clear things up that things are different.
    Man, im not on the job...but that does not sound like par for new york city's course. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression...

  14. #1339
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Man, im not on the job...but that does not sound like par for new york city's course. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression...
    I think what rtech5's friend said is nothing that should come as a surpise to anyone. Firefighting is dangerous. It's dangerous in NYC, in Houston, in LA, and in the boonies. You are risking your life at fires or other serious emergencies. It will be chaotic or intense and you need to stay on the ball. With that comes the pressure to be squared away, to train, read or drill, and basically know your job because you and your coworkers lives depend on it. Like I said, this is not shocking news. As far as how much fire duty you see, it depends on what company you go to. Even if you go somewhere that has little fire duty, you still need to know your job. Some might say a slower place is more dangerous because your knowledge and skills get rusty. Experience is the best teacher. With that being said, DON'T FOCUS NOW ON WHERE YOU END UP, just getting on the job.

    Most guys on this thread are obviously candidates and are newer than new and it is only natural to have expectations of life in the FDNY. My advice is that you won't know it till you try it, and even then it takes time to really know the job, maybe even a career. I can honestly say that it is an amazing job and I am extremely proud and lucky to be a firefighter in the FDNY. One day you will arrive at the same feeling, but it is your own journey and interpretation.

    From the firefighters stand point, like rtech's friend, we want only the best of the best to get on the job. That's squared away, knowledgable but willing to learn, ready to step up to do the right thing and have a positive attitutude. This is the same type of person the academy will try and mold. On the other hand, the academy will try and discourage the lazy, selfish, unprepared, unmotivated, poor performing candidates.

    I'm trying to give you guys some information without letting all of our laundry hang out to dry. This is still a brotherhood that simply has to be kept sacred, which is why I sometimes get a little frustrated with what kind of things are posted on here. The bottom line is as a candidate or proby you simply need to strive to be THE BEST and as a firefighter we want the best. Expectations are specific to the individual so expect the unexpected. Good luck to all of you.

  15. #1340
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Guys, just to make sure, there's no memory portion in this exam right?
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

  16. #1341
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dotherightthing View Post
    I think what rtech5's friend said is nothing that should come as a surpise to anyone. Firefighting is dangerous. It's dangerous in NYC, in Houston, in LA, and in the boonies. You are risking your life at fires or other serious emergencies. It will be chaotic or intense and you need to stay on the ball. With that comes the pressure to be squared away, to train, read or drill, and basically know your job because you and your coworkers lives depend on it. Like I said, this is not shocking news. As far as how much fire duty you see, it depends on what company you go to. Even if you go somewhere that has little fire duty, you still need to know your job. Some might say a slower place is more dangerous because your knowledge and skills get rusty. Experience is the best teacher. With that being said, DON'T FOCUS NOW ON WHERE YOU END UP, just getting on the job.

    Most guys on this thread are obviously candidates and are newer than new and it is only natural to have expectations of life in the FDNY. My advice is that you won't know it till you try it, and even then it takes time to really know the job, maybe even a career. I can honestly say that it is an amazing job and I am extremely proud and lucky to be a firefighter in the FDNY. One day you will arrive at the same feeling, but it is your own journey and interpretation.

    From the firefighters stand point, like rtech's friend, we want only the best of the best to get on the job. That's squared away, knowledgable but willing to learn, ready to step up to do the right thing and have a positive attitutude. This is the same type of person the academy will try and mold. On the other hand, the academy will try and discourage the lazy, selfish, unprepared, unmotivated, poor performing candidates.

    I'm trying to give you guys some information without letting all of our laundry hang out to dry. This is still a brotherhood that simply has to be kept sacred, which is why I sometimes get a little frustrated with what kind of things are posted on here. The bottom line is as a candidate or proby you simply need to strive to be THE BEST and as a firefighter we want the best. Expectations are specific to the individual so expect the unexpected. Good luck to all of you.
    I am referring to what pipeman said, that NYC doesn't go to a lot of fires. I read what rtech said and know that what he stated is completely expected of every candidate. I was under the impression that they go to more fires than most of the other big cities; he disagrees...

  17. #1342
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Took the test yesterday in Brooklyn.

    Very organized there. Plastic bag for valuables, place 'em under your desk till the end of the exam. I could have done without the 3 separate fire alarms going off, but otherwise no hitches. Very clean testing center as well.

    I was able to start the exam before 12 because I was there early. I took the whole 4 hours, not because I had to, but because I wanted to. Hopefully the rest of you are wise enough to do the same.

    As for the residency credit, you don't need to bring anything for documentation. The computer will prompt you at the end of the exam if you wish to claim it, and during the background/investigation process they will ask you for the proof of residency.

  18. #1343
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34

    Default

    What are you guys hearing about the exam? Although testing has just begun I havent heard one person say that they aced it or that it was easy. The few people that i know who have taken it say to be prepared. The talk of it being dumbed down has quieted.

  19. #1344
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Is base pay for the academy still around 39k? And do you know if you are allowed to use your GI bill for the academy?
    Whats a "GI bill"?

  20. #1345
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn View Post
    Whats a "GI bill"?

    The plan you pay into while in the military that allows you to receive money for college and job training.

  21. #1346
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2000 View Post
    What are you guys hearing about the exam? Although testing has just begun I havent heard one person say that they aced it or that it was easy. The few people that i know who have taken it say to be prepared. The talk of it being dumbed down has quieted.
    I took mine Saturday, All I'll say is that it's a fair exam.

    What's the likelihood of the first people who took the exam getting their scores before the rest of the people have taken it? The way I see it is that we're just getting the score, the list itself won't be established for some time I'm assuming.

    Speaking of lists, how long did it take for the 6019 list to be established after the test was given?
    Last edited by Angelo_D; 03-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.

  22. #1347
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    I took mine Saturday, All I'll say is that it's a fair exam.

    What's the likelihood of the first people who took the exam getting their scores before the rest of the people have taken it? The way I see it is that we're just getting the score, the list itself won't be established for some time I'm assuming.

    Speaking of lists, how long did it take for the 6019 list to be established after the test was given?
    How do you think you did Angelo? Also in the vulcan classes they said it was a good idea to bring a bottle of water and a granola bar. Was this allowed? Id probably skip on the water. I dont want to have to get up and go to the bathroom but a granola bar could come in handy 3hrs into the exam.

  23. #1348
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    I took mine Saturday, All I'll say is that it's a fair exam.

    What's the likelihood of the first people who took the exam getting their scores before the rest of the people have taken it? The way I see it is that we're just getting the score, the list itself won't be established for some time I'm assuming.

    Speaking of lists, how long did it take for the 6019 list to be established after the test was given?


    6019 was given in Jan of 07, just under a month after the exam raw scores went out. Nov of 07 people got their official score and their list #.

    Two things to keep in mind though: (1) the city had no need to rush getting scores back, and establishing a list after 6019 was given, they already had an active list. (2) we have no idea how this is going to work with the judge and the courts after April 20th. Will we get scores right away? Will the judge have to give his approval first?

    It's really anyone's guess how the timetable will work after the exam period closes.

  24. #1349
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    6019 was given in Jan of 07, just under a month after the exam raw scores went out. Nov of 07 people got their official score and their list #.

    Two things to keep in mind though: (1) the city had no need to rush getting scores back, and establishing a list after 6019 was given, they already had an active list. (2) we have no idea how this is going to work with the judge and the courts after April 20th. Will we get scores right away? Will the judge have to give his approval first?



    It's really anyone's guess how the timetable will work after the exam period closes.
    Ah ok great thanks, but I was under the impression that there couldn't be 2 active lists. I thought they had to establish a new list the day the previous list expired.

  25. #1350
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    You just summed up the FDNY of the 1970s. haha Those things CAN happen but usually don't. I work in a large city myself in another urban fire department and like most large cities, it's not the same as it used to be. You don't go to fire that often. You may go a full year without seeing anything, even in NYC, depending on the company you're assigned to. You should definitely be willing to give your life but I just want to clear things up that things are different.
    NEGATIVE!!

    Those things absolutely do happen, and regularly. Obviously not with the frequency of war years; that time period was an anomaly. The FDNY responded to over 25k fires last year. Theres not a company on the job that goes a year without catching a job, and even the ones that go to fewer fires than others are still taking part in mitigating more emergencies of other types than ever.

    Let me "clear some things up" for those thinking about coming on this job: you WILL go to fires. You WILL experience a true IDLH environment. You WILL see dead people. You WILL see horrific injuries. You WILL cross paths with people having the unquestionably worst day of their life.

    But you WONT have to do it alone. Thats when youll understand that all the bulls h i t on the tshirts is just that, and that the value of the support network within the brotherhood is what makes working here not just tolerable, but the only game in town.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 36 users browsing this thread. (8 members and 28 guests)

  1. antmdog,
  2. DannyD0pe,
  3. Doubler33,
  4. EKFCASPER,
  5. k20dc2,
  6. Ladders 4,
  7. mocon337,
  8. nyckftbl

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register