Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

There will be guys retiring with big pay checks, you take home half of your best 3 averaged years salary including the OT. Theres TONS of OT right now and there's guys who would retire, but are staying to get their best 3 years in. Once these classes start making a dent in the OT, the retirees will start going up, which means they need more probies.

Forum Member

How many classes have to come out before OT dries up?

Forum Member

Whoops sorry didn't see that south BX had already answered that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    dude, D.O.C basepay is the same, but we have plenty of OT.. At top pay with night differential (which me being steady night shift I get on all my OT) an overtime shift is over $500.. So if you do a few overtime shifts, which currently I usually do about 30-40 hours a month, your easily boosting your salary a few thousand each month. I've heard from plenty of C.O's who make 6 figure income routinely. The C.O I worked with the other night who has 8 years on the job made $127k last yr. So at 127K, im sure he's Netting 3k a check.

It's not about the money, but I like that the OT is here at D.O.C because I feel like im not on as much of a fixed income. Sometimes if I want to do something nice for the GF, I don't have to stress about money, because I can stop and think well I'll do a few OT's and that will cover it.. Or when that car insurance bill comes, Im not stressing over it, I can just do extra OT to help.
    Sorry, bro, but that's not adding up. I've had top pay checks with 30-40 hours of overtime A PAY PERIOD and didn't clear 3 grand. It's not possible. And besides that, we have built in overtime as part of our benefits. Before we even do ordered OT, we're at just under 100 grand; I know guys with 20+ years on who do overtime every check and they're not hitting 3 grand. A night shift for us at top pay with the differential is 1000 bucks; I've had at least a night tour on each check since hitting top pay and I clear just over 2 grand. Not looking to discredit you, but there's no way you guys are bringing home 3 grand a check.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 08-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I love you. That's top 5 greatest posts I've ever read.
    Thanks. I think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Thanks. I think.
    Lol.. In a good way. The best part was the stronger then the storm part.. Chris Christie and the rest of the actors in that commercial seem sooo fake.

Forum Member

Sorry, bro, but that's not adding up. I've had top pay checks with 30-40 hours of overtime A PAY PERIOD and didn't clear 3 grand. It's not possible. And besides that, we have built in overtime as part of our benefits. Before we even do ordered OT, we're at just under 100 grand; I know guys with 20+ years on who do overtime every check and they're not hitting 3 grand. A night shift for us at top pay with the differential is 1000 bucks; I've had at least a night tour on each check since hitting top pay and I clear just over 2 grand. Not looking to discredit you, but there's no way you guys are bringing home 3 grand a check.
    My parents neighbor is DOC and he showed me his check once trying to persuade me into taking the DOC exam as a fallback, his take home for the pay period was about 3k.

Forum Member

Some of the "actors" in that commercial are actually his family. My wife asked me why all of the actors were fat, the look on her face when I said it's his family was priceless.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

One of my NCO's in the guard was a city C.O. Shes 18 years in and showed me a check with a net pay of over $4,300. She said it was becuz of O.T. but i cant remember how many hours and i cant remember her rank. So i def believe the 3k thing.

Forum Member

Still. I need a job that ill love. And C.O aint it. I dont care if it was 5k.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    YOU HEARD GUYS !!!! {[( for those that want to become firemen because or care more for pay, pension, driving the red truck, and many other silly reasons )]} this job pays S.H.I.T ... Forget being a FF go to pd doc (no offense John) and let this list speed up. Thanks
    PD makes **** too brother

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    As a rookie or for the first 5-10 years ... Most of my close friends are law enforcement and they living good ... Real good ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Who are you hearing this from? At top pay, expect to make between 95,000, and 110,000. Depends on whether you're in an engine or a truck and a few other variables. At 100,000 you'll take home a paycheck that averages out over the year to about 2,100-2,200. OT pays well, but it'll be all but dried up towards the end of next year, beginning of 2015.

I'm living it everyday, trust me.
    I guess through word of mouth... met a guy at a party recently who was retired FD and he was telling me the pay was great and he was doing very well in his retired life.

I just want to be able to have a family and support a family on this job and not have to worry about money issues. I don't by any means live an expensive life style, im actually getting by very nicely with my low salary now im making, im just concerned about the future when it comes time to a house and family.

Forum Member

I have a couple additional questions:

1) Uniforms during academy process, how does that work and in what price range is it around? For me I had to pay $2k in academy when it was all said and done, so im wondering if I should start putting money away before hand for academy.. I think I read some where you don't pay for academy uniforms?

2) NYCERS, im in the 20 yr retirement, will the retirement be the same for me in FDNY? will it transfer over that way?

3) Variable supplement.. how does that work with FDNY? do you get it as soon as you retire, or do they bank it for you every yr you stay on past retirement like NYPD does?

4) HOW much do you pay into pension from your check? For me the 20 year plan is 7.6% I believe, my tier 6 buddies who are 22.5 year retirement pay 3% right now.

5) How long is probation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Not unless you're in transit. Lol. But I can't wait to leave. Been waiting since 2007.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    My parents neighbor is DOC and he showed me his check once trying to persuade me into taking the DOC exam as a fallback, his take home for the pay period was about 3k.
    Then he's either a higher rank or he had a ton of overtime. We make just about 100 grand a year BEFORE ordered overtime, meaning before all the extra time for being stuck on late runs, holding over for guys coming back from details and full tours of overtime which you can usually take whenever you want. I usually have between 30-40 hours per pay period and I take home just under 3 grand. There's no way a CO with no overtime is taking home that kind of money routinely without an equal amount of overtime. Their top pay, after fringe benefits are figured in, is LESS than ours.

I really don't care either way; they can keep that job. I was just confused as to how someone who holds a job that tops out at 10 grand less than someone else could be taking home almost double the money. Any top pay guy will tell you a little less than 2 grand is what you take home without any overtime.

Forum Member

Then he's either a higher rank or he had a ton of overtime. We make just about 100 grand a year BEFORE ordered overtime, meaning before all the extra time for being stuck on late runs, holding over for guys coming back from details and full tours of overtime which you can usually take whenever you want. I usually have between 30-40 hours per pay period and I take home just under 3 grand. There's no way a CO with no overtime is taking home that kind of money routinely without an equal amount of overtime. Their top pay, after fringe benefits are figured in, is LESS than ours.

I really don't care either way; they can keep that job. I was just confused as to how someone who holds a job that tops out at 10 grand less than someone else could be taking home almost double the money. Any top pay guy will tell you a little less than 2 grand is what you take home without any overtime.
    It's the OT, DOC gets ridiculous amounts of OT. As much as he likes the pay though he hates it there and with couple of years left till retirement he pretty much has the days counted down till he is free.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Transit C'mon brooooo hahaha jk were all in it together.... Also the salaries between FD and PD are comparable PD may make slightly more but take into consideration the limitations of off-duty employment I can't even sub-teach and god forbid getting caught working off the books...basically ur 2nd job as a cop is just working as a Cop more

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I have a couple additional questions:

1) Uniforms during academy process, how does that work and in what price range is it around? For me I had to pay $2k in academy when it was all said and done, so im wondering if I should start putting money away before hand for academy.. I think I read some where you don't pay for academy uniforms?

2) NYCERS, im in the 20 yr retirement, will the retirement be the same for me in FDNY? will it transfer over that way?

3) Variable supplement.. how does that work with FDNY? do you get it as soon as you retire, or do they bank it for you every yr you stay on past retirement like NYPD does?

4) HOW much do you pay into pension from your check? For me the 20 year plan is 7.6% I believe, my tier 6 buddies who are 22.5 year retirement pay 3% right now.

5) How long is probation?
    1) Uniforms are issued to you. You will not pay out of pocket for them.

2) I believe that since you are already in a pension system, you are grandfathered in to it. MM may be able to clarify.

3) VSF? Not sure. I'd have to look into it.

4) City flat out contributes 3%. You can match that. But there are a few other contributions that you'll be able to do also (50%, ITHP, 457). Don't worry. Those will be addressed at the academy like MM mentioned. They did the same for us. And your delegate and pretty much any of the guys can help you figure it all out.

5) At this time: 12 months from time of appointment unless necessary to extend it for various reasons at your company commander, BC, etc discretion.

Forum Member

Some possibly useful pension info I found out today after speaking with NYCERS...not sure who it may apply to on here: I have been in the pension since 5/2007, and the guy I spoke to said that for current NYCERS Tier 4 members, such as myself, once you switch over to FDNY, you would temporarily be placed in the new Tier 6 status, but then you'd be eligible to transfer back to Tier 4 under the FD pension system. It would take about 8 months to a year for that transfer to take effect after you begin employment with FD. As far as any effect this could have on when your time counts (up front/back end), he couldn't say, and suggested contacting someone in the FD who deals with pensions for that info. Take it for what it's worth, I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I figured I'd pass it along for anyone this may apply to.

So...would anyone happen to know who or what office at FD would be able to verify this and possibly elaborate?

Forum Member

I was wondering if the salary chart that has been advertised is accurate? It lists start to year 5 with base salary plus what is listed as fringe benefits.

Year Base-fringe-total

Start : 39,370 - 3,704 - 43,074
    After 1 : 41,311- 8,159 - 49,470
    After 2 : 44,995 - 8,886 - 53,881
    After 3 : 49,494 - 9,775 - 59,269
    After 4 : 54,556 - 10,775 - 65,331
    After 5 : 76,488 - 22,616 - 99,104
    Last edited by Minerva; 08-27-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Forum Member

There is a typo on year 3: 49,494+9775=59,269. I noticed this on the department's wesite also. Not a big difference, but a difference nonetheless.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

MembersZone Subscriber

RE: Pay

Each individual is different. It all depends on what you have coming out (i.e.: tax withholdings, pension contributions, etc.). Personally I have regular payments automatically deducted on top of all of that. Contrary to what the NYPOST "reports", we aren't raiding the city coffers to subsidize our pensions and contribute a good portion of our salaries to them. I take home on average about 50% of my gross.

OT will dry up over the next couple years is my guess. At that time we are going to see a mass exodus of A LOT of our senior guys; a really big hit.

PD, DOC, DSNY, while similar in pay; all have their own unique situations also in regards to OT and staffing. So it's literally comparing apples to oranges when you try to put them side by side with FD on paper. (I have a buddy on PD (No, really. I do.) who due to a) Being on opposite schedules and b) Being on ordered OT half the time; I have not connected with him since being here. One day though.....)

Forum Member

NYPD, NYC DOC and FDNY all have a base pay parity of $76,488. DOC does not top out at 10k less than FDNY

Forum Member

The 96 hours of RSOT...is that all on 8 hour tours throughout the year?

Also how many weeks vacation is it at top pay? is it 5 or 6 weeks?

Im assuming FDNY work the same 2,088 hours per year that NYPD works. Once you find a mutual partner and work 24 hr tours all year...does that come out to 87 appearances a year without the RSOT?

Thread Information