Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 543 of 1193 FirstFirst ... 434434935335405415425435445455465535936431043 ... LastLast
Results 10,841 to 10,860 of 23860
Like Tree9333Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Gentle reminder: There are really only 2 times that you need to do pullups (and where the # you do actually matters). Baseline fitness testing in week 1, and baseline fitness testing in week 17/18. For someone like Jukez that seems set on going for fitness award winner it may be worthwhile to keep working on them, but if you can safely do more than 4 then don't lose sight of the big picture.

I could do more than other guys in my squad who, on the other hand, beat my FST time by several minutes. I'd rather be better at FST.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Gentle reminder: There are really only 2 times that you need to do pullups (and where the # you do actually matters). Baseline fitness testing in week 1, and baseline fitness testing in week 17/18. For someone like Jukez that seems set on going for fitness award winner it may be worthwhile to keep working on them, but if you can safely do more than 4 then don't lose sight of the big picture.

I could do more than other guys in my squad who, on the other hand, beat my FST time by several minutes. I'd rather be better at FST.

Any types of workouts you'd recommend we concentrate more on with this in mind?
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    No way man! People have this idea that in order to do muscle up you need strength and its WRONG. I promise that if you get the right technique to get up there once the next 3-4 reps will come easy. Its all momentum after the first one.
    What borough you live in? Wanna meet up at a park to show me how!!!!!! Btw im from queens. PM me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I'm also curious, I know what FST is but I have no idea what it consist of.

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to be doing a circuit workout followed by some sort of high interval cardio. Running is what you'll do at the Rock for cardio, but you can do it on a stepmill or stationary bike. Low weight, high rep exercises, pushups, leglifts, jumping jacks are all things you'll do at proby school that will help with your FST. Try something like this using 10 lbs weights:

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 tricep presses (do these three one after the other)
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You need to be doing a circuit workout followed by some sort of high interval cardio. Running is what you'll do at the Rock for cardio, but you can do it on a stepmill or stationary bike. Low weight, high rep exercises, pushups, leglifts, jumping jacks are all things you'll do at proby school that will help with your FST. Try something like this using 10 lbs weights:

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.
    Thanks this is perfect. Gonna give it a try next week

Forum Member

That is a excellent routine to follow. I just got back from the gym, did the stair mill, abs, and I don't know if the rowing machine will help for the FDNY, but man I love that machine. It's some workout! After that, got dragged into playing hoops.....
    Tommorrow morning, hopefully it will be dry out, need to go for that morning run.

Forum Member

teufelhunden summed it up better than I could. Just another thing to consider: You want to try and prepare by doing everything to a level higher than what might be expected in the academy. If you can run 5 miles in 40 min or less that's awesome, and you'll be pretty prepared to run in the academy. You won't run that far or fast till the very end, but on a day to day basis you'll probably be dehydrated to some degree, exhausted, and doing your best to keep going throughout the day.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    That is a excellent routine to follow. I just got back from the gym, did the stair mill, abs, and I don't know if the rowing machine will help for the FDNY, but man I love that machine. It's some workout! After that, got dragged into playing hoops.....
    Tommorrow morning, hopefully it will be dry out, need to go for that morning run.
    I jogged last night and it felt great despite the weather. I also did a nice jog this morning. Dont lose out on a good run/jog due too weather. Sometimes I enjoy jogging in this type of weather than a hot day. I was watching a marathon some time back on TV, and several runners were being interviewed. A lot of them were stating, if you can have a good jog in winter weather conditions, than you can easily have a better workout run in good weather conditions.

Forum Member

I actually saw a five minute click on youtube of candidates performing this same workout at the rock. They all had on red sweat suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1RpAl40UE
    Last edited by almostthere; 05-25-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Kevin23 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's pretty much the workout you'll do at the Rock. FST is like anything else; it takes practice. It WILL kick your ***, even if you're ready. Once you start doing it you'll figure out how to pace yourself, save air and still get a good score. But it's misery either way, so train up. That workout goes hand in hand with 6 hours of very physical evolutions at proby school, so experiment with heavier weights or extra circuits if you like. But the main idea is reps, so use a weight that allows you to do ALL reps.

That's pretty much the workout you'll do at the Rock. FST is like anything else; it takes practice. It WILL kick your ***, even if you're ready. Once you start doing it you'll figure out how to pace yourself, save air and still get a good score. But it's misery either way, so train up. That workout goes hand in hand with 6 hours of very physical evolutions at proby school, so experiment with heavier weights or extra circuits if you like. But the main idea is reps, so use a weight that allows you to do ALL reps.
    Thanks for the info man. I've been using that book they give us with the circuit training but this seems more solid .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I jogged last night and it felt great despite the weather. I also did a nice jog this morning. Dont lose out on a good run/jog due too weather. Sometimes I enjoy jogging in this type of weather than a hot day. I was watching a marathon some time back on TV, and several runners were being interviewed. A lot of them were stating, if you can have a good jog in winter weather conditions, than you can easily have a better workout run in good weather conditions.
    You should follow whatever your running schedule is regardless of the weather (barring extreme weather of course). PT and training will go on regardless of the weather, so it's best if you get used to that now. As at least one instructor is fond of saying: If it ain't raining, it ain't training.

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts

10lb weights when running as well?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    10lb weights when running as well?
    No not while running.

Forum Member

Thanks for all you that served, and today we remember everyone that lost their lives for our freedom.

Forum Member

I like to train with heavy weight/low reps to increase strength and to increase my power-endurance window and moderate weight/high reps for endurance/mental toughness. My favorites:

20 rep squats. These will be done rest-pause mostly likely after rep 10. These will be the hardest set of any exercise you will do. Lots of mental strength and discipline. Your heart rate will be pushed. You might see Jesus towards the end. I can't wait till the day I get 315 x 20, yes I am sick like that(hopefully by the end of summer). One set a week is good for those who are doing conditioning. I would occasionally for ****s and giggles see how much I can rep out with just 135.

Poundstone Curls. Basically max reps with a 45 pound bar. Made famous by Strongman Derek Poundstone to help assist with his hand over hand pulling endurance(hmmmm firefighters do that movement as well.....). You can pause, just don't drop the bar. I would set a goal for 100 reps, Derek Poundstone does over 300 reps.

Kroc Rows. High rep dumbbell rows over 20 reps. Jim Wendler gave this name after watching his friend and powerlifter/bodybuilder Matt Kroc repping out ridiculous high reps with heavy dumbbell. No straps, no chalk, no hook grip. Start with something moderate to low(50-60's), add 5 pounds every week or go for higher reps(go for 30). You will develop your grip/forearms, and upper back. It will not be long when you will be repping out 100 pound dumbbell, seriously.

Other exercises to do 20 reps or more: Weighted dips(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pushups(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pullups(try to do 10 or more bw before weighted), tricep pushdowns, face pulls, RDL's or kettlebell swings.
    KingHenrik likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    I like to train with heavy weight/low reps to increase strength and to increase my power-endurance window and moderate weight/high reps for endurance/mental toughness. My favorites:

20 rep squats. These will be done rest-pause mostly likely after rep 10. These will be the hardest set of any exercise you will do. Lots of mental strength and discipline. Your heart rate will be pushed. You might see Jesus towards the end. I can't wait till the day I get 315 x 20, yes I am sick like that(hopefully by the end of summer). One set a week is good for those who are doing conditioning. I would occasionally for ****s and giggles see how much I can rep out with just 135.

Poundstone Curls. Basically max reps with a 45 pound bar. Made famous by Strongman Derek Poundstone to help assist with his hand over hand pulling endurance(hmmmm firefighters do that movement as well.....). You can pause, just don't drop the bar. I would set a goal for 100 reps, Derek Poundstone does over 300 reps.

Kroc Rows. High rep dumbbell rows over 20 reps. Jim Wendler gave this name after watching his friend and powerlifter/bodybuilder Matt Kroc repping out ridiculous high reps with heavy dumbbell. No straps, no chalk, no hook grip. Start with something moderate to low(50-60's), add 5 pounds every week or go for higher reps(go for 30). You will develop your grip/forearms, and upper back. It will not be long when you will be repping out 100 pound dumbbell, seriously.

Other exercises to do 20 reps or more: Weighted dips(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pushups(try to do 20 bw before weighted), weighted pullups(try to do 10 or more bw before weighted), tricep pushdowns, face pulls, RDL's or kettlebell swings.
    Sounds like you are a monster in the gym.

How often do you guys sprint and run up the stairs for a good workout. MM, did you guys do a lot of running up the stairs. I recall going to my first CPAT training at the Rock, and I happen to run into probies, about ten running up stairs. Is this something that's done a lot and would you recommend us doing stairs training?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post

I tried 20 rep squats and have been doing 5 reps for so long I released quickly that I will need to do 10 reps for a while first because I am untrained for it. I also plan to throw front squats in eventually but would be new to those. I can do 315 deep deep reps for a few but have to drop down to 185 to get 10. Next work out I am gonna go for 225x10 for 5 sets. and try to repeat that range 2-3 times a week and work the weight up and then reps up. I squat lowbar by the way.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-27-2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I just wish my references would receive their letters from the FDNY, that's pretty much the only thing I'm stressing about.

Thread Information