Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 544 of 1157 FirstFirst ... 444444945345415425435445455465475545946441044 ... LastLast
Results 10,861 to 10,880 of 23136
Like Tree9074Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

What's the process as far as listing past employment? Do they just send a letter verifying that you were employed there it does it ask questions as far as what type of worker you are, late/call out records etc. thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    What's the process as far as listing past employment? Do they just send a letter verifying that you were employed there it does it ask questions as far as what type of worker you are, late/call out records etc. thanks in advance
    I really hope they just contact your current or last job. I've been at the same job 7 years and two of the previous jobs I've held that I had 2+ years of experience at are now out of business. One of them going back more than 10 years ago, I don't have contacts with anyone that I worked with at those jobs. Also do they want every job you have had regardless of time worked there. I have several jobs in my past where I only worked a few weeks for extra money or was in between jobs and just took something to put money in my pocket until I found something new.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I really hope they just contact your current or last job. I've been at the same job 7 years and two of the previous jobs I've held that I had 2+ years of experience at are now out of business. One of them going back more than 10 years ago, I don't have contacts with anyone that I worked with at those jobs. Also do they want every job you have had regardless of time worked there. I have several jobs in my past where I only worked a few weeks for extra money or was in between jobs and just took something to put money in my pocket until I found something new.
    Yeah that's what in curious about also, I've had a couple jobs where I was only there a few weeks until I found something better

Forum Member

Everyone get the email about the proof for points needing to be in before june 3rd? Mine is done just posting in case anyone needs to get theirs in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    I like to train with heavy weight/low reps to increase strength and to increase my power-endurance window and moderate weight/high reps for endurance/mental toughness. My favorites:
    That's all great, but can you do 25+ reps of overhead tricep extensions with 10# dumbbells?

Going through the academy is going to mean giving up on your strength for 4.5 months and doing their program, which is primarily concerned with endurance.

almostthere: During regular PT, not that much. What you saw were people in remedial PT, which is done twice a week, and you're guaranteed to do stair running in remedial.

Forum Member

I think it was teufulhunden that posted a month or two ago that one day of heavy weights per week, meaning squats/deadlifts etc. should be enough. It's been something I'm struggling with but, putting my pride aside and doing the endurance work. But hearing guys OTJ like MM who just went through say it like it is it helps a lot.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    That's all great, but can you do 25+ reps of overhead tricep extensions with 10# dumbbells?

Going through the academy is going to mean giving up on your strength for 4.5 months and doing their program, which is primarily concerned with endurance.

almostthere: During regular PT, not that much. What you saw were people in remedial PT, which is done twice a week, and you're guaranteed to do stair running in remedial.
    lol... this makes me so happy...This is what my 150 pound frame was built for

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    lol... this makes me so happy...This is what my 150 pound frame was built for
    Wow, you are small. But, that can be a great advantage for this type of situation. I am assuming you have good stamina when it comes to running, and can probably compete with Julez. Or is julez in a bracket all by himself. Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Wow, you are small. But, that can be a great advantage for this type of situation. I am assuming you have good stamina when it comes to running, and can probably compete with Julez. Or is julez in a bracket all by himself. Lol
    own bracket as far as strength-endurance. 30+ pull ups is on a different level

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Jukez* bro! I always say "don't judge a book but its cover". I might look small but I compete with the "strong" guys in lifting heavy as well. Also remember that Being HEALTHY through out the academy is crucial in order to perform at you best towards the end of the academy.

Forum Member

you ever see american ninja warrior? look at these guys body types. I don't know very many people that would call these guys "big". These guys are STRONG AS **** and their strength-endurance is unreal. Same thing with decathletes. There is a reason these guys are that size. Power is a factor; that is something you are born with you can't really increase power all that much.

All im trying to say is that after a certain point gains in size are probably no longer linear to your gains in strength and I know the "perfect" amount of muscle is less than most American males think.

I think someone my size and frame at 5'8" perfect all around weight (less than 10% body fat) probably right around 165
    Last edited by coldblood92; 05-28-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Forum Member

you ever see american ninja warrior? look at these guys body types. I don't know very many people that would call these guys "big". These guys are STRONG AS **** and their strength-endurance is unreal. Same thing with decathletes. There is a reason these guys are that size. Power is a factor; that is something you are born with you can't really increase power all that much.

All im trying to say is that after a certain point gains in size are probably no longer linear to your gains in strength and I know the "perfect" amount of muscle is less than most American males think.

I think someone my size and frame at 5'8" perfect all around weight (less than 10% body fat) probably right around 165
    I'm dying to do one of those American ninja shows haha. Everytime I picture it in my head I see myself going head first in the water going from the trampoline to the wall walking though lol

And I'm not too sure about the being born strong or not part. I think with dedication you can build your strength. I seen it happen many times before, with creatine supplements and with out it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm dying to do one of those American ninja shows haha. Everytime I picture it in my head I see myself going head first in the water going from the trampoline to the wall walking though lol

And I'm not too sure about the being born strong or not part. I think with dedication you can build your strength. I seen it happen many times before, with creatine supplements and with out it
    HAHA!

and...

strength and power are two very different things.

Forum Member

HAHA!

and...

strength and power are two very different things.
    Touché my friend

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Touché my friend
    lol noooo...its the phys ed head/teacher in me.

Power is the ability to do one movement very quickly. Think of this as something like the javelin throw. Most sports are "power" activities.
    Strength is defined as the ability to move as much weight as possible, once. Speed does not matter. So think more along the lines of chest press 1 rep max.

Let me give an example of how "strength" is over rated. I'm going to assume most of the people on here know who George st pierre is. If not look him up. His walk around weight is around 190. The man struggles to do a single max rep at 225,chest press. Now this is a super elite athlete, who is clearly "stronger" than other people that could out lift him. You have to ask why, and I encourage everyone to look up his workout routine. Not what you might expect.
    Last edited by coldblood92; 05-29-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Forum Member
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

The newly instituted Mentor Program is allowing Candidates (“Mentees”) to choose Mentors based on race. You read that right. In addition, two of the Senior Mentors are currently being investigated by the NYC Human Rights Commission in connection with the Vulcan prep class that excluded white candidates, yet this did not prevent their appointment to a supervisory role in the Mentor program.

I'm not saying he is one of the guys being investigated but I found it a bit humorous and definitely ironic that one of the Lt.'s at the Queens HS who wouldn't let us in to the prep class ended up recording one of my CPAT times when training at The Rock.

Forum Member

I read this last night.....PHENOMENAL read. Chief Mannix is a 1000% right.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I tried 20 rep squats and have been doing 5 reps for so long I released quickly that I will need to do 10 reps for a while first because I am untrained for it. I also plan to throw front squats in eventually but would be new to those. I can do 315 deep deep reps for a few but have to drop down to 185 to get 10. Next work out I am gonna go for 225x10 for 5 sets. and try to repeat that range 2-3 times a week and work the weight up and then reps up. I squat lowbar by the way.
    I think you will be good for 225 x 20 being able to do a few reps of 315.
    Different rep ranges are good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

If you can do high reps with moderate weight, then high reps with low weight will be easier, is where I was getting at. What's 30 r
    Congrats btw!

You're right, most academies are endurance based in PT and in addition to performing evolutions/drills and double timing it everywhere in full gear. I am firm believer that strength is the foundation though. You gotta suck it up and do their PT, like what you did.

lol noooo...its the phys ed head/teacher in me.

Power is the ability to do one movement very quickly. Think of this as something like the javelin throw. Most sports are "power" activities.
    Strength is defined as the ability to move as much weight as possible, once. Speed does not matter. So think more along the lines of chest press 1 rep max.

Let me give an example of how "strength" is over rated. I'm going to assume most of the people on here know who George st pierre is. If not look him up. His walk around weight is around 190. The man struggles to do a single max rep at 225,chest press. Now this is a super elite athlete, who is clearly "stronger" than other people that could out lift him. You have to ask why, and I encourage everyone to look up his workout routine. Not what you might expect.
    GSP is very skilled, skill in athletics trumps all!

I do think strength is underrated when it comes to firefighters/ing. Fire ground tasks/jobs will be easier on your body when you are strong(lower heart rate and less energy expenditure), this is of course in conjunction with skill, and conditioning.

Someone who has all three..strength, conditioning, and skill(as well as knowledge/experience) is going to be awesome, we should all strive to be the best we can be in all 3 aspects!

I follow this fire-related blog and here is a small article on Back Squat:
    http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/20...king-of-lifts/
    also take a moment and read Ethos
    http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/ethos/

Train hard and smart brothers! You are all warriors, be the strongest, most conditioned, and most skilled warrior you can be.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

I love how Chief Mannix breaks it down with common sense and pointing out hypocritical actions!

Fire departments are getting hijacked by special interest groups and DOJ, and Chief Mannix is standing up to it. This man should be Chief of Department!

FDNY used to be the only or few departments where no matter who you are or where you are from, if you scored a 100 and a 100 you will get the job. The most fair hiring process imo and free of any "ism".
    Last edited by mky915; 05-29-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Thread Information