Like Tree11352Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

If you never joined NYCERS then likely tier 6. Your ability to convert to previous tiers is determined by when you entered the pension system. If you were working a job where you were required to join the pension (like civil service Fire/EMS employees) but they never forcibly added you you might have a case, but it sounds like you weren't.

Forum Member

Wheeeew....that was close. So glad to c u guys lol. I thought the thread was terminated. Anyway, carry on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If you never joined NYCERS then likely tier 6. Your ability to convert to previous tiers is determined by when you entered the pension system. If you were working a job where you were required to join the pension (like civil service Fire/EMS employees) but they never forcibly added you you might have a case, but it sounds like you weren't.
    Thanks for replying so quickly.

They didnt require us too, and it was something that wasnt publisized to the masses. So I'm pretty much screwed then?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dem7191 View Post
    Pensions: There are 3 possible tiers you could end up in: 2, 3, or 3 modified by 6 ("6"). My understanding on the subject is if you have any pensionable time with the city or state prior to 7/1/2009 you will be able to convert your pension into tier 2 and your time will count up front (only for the pension though, not for pay or seniority). If you have pensionable time between 7/1/2009 and I think 4/1/2012 you can convert your pension to tier 3. Time doesn't count on front or back, just counts towards the 5 years needed to vest into the pension system. If you didn't enter the pension till after 4/1/2012 (or are a total new hire, obviously) you will be in 6.
    Hi Manhattan medic,

I have a quick question, I have been working for the city since june 2008 as a seasonal lifeguard. It's considered pensionable time, but I have never actually contributed or enrolled in a particular tier. What would I come in under? I know it shouldn't be the first thing I should be concerned with, but just curious. Thank you

Just for background im 15XX on the list[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, if you have been a city employee since 2008, but haven't enrolled in the pension system, you can buy back your time dating back to your city start date. Also, if that's what you would like to do, do it now when you are younger and you're that much farther away from your retirement, because the closer you are to retirement, the more expensive it will be to buy back your time. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

But I don't think buying back would effect which tier you're placed into.
    Last edited by MESAman; 08-29-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Forum Member

He can buy back his time if he wants, but the law as interpreted by the head of the FDNY Pension unit was that if you weren't already a member of the pension system when the tier changed then you're out. Maybe there are exceptions or nuances to that, but I would assume 1. that you're going to be tier 6 2. don't buy your time back unless you make it on the job and they tell you that if you buy your time you can convert to tier 2.

You're probably 6 though.

Forum Member

He can buy back his time if he wants, but the law as interpreted by the head of the FDNY Pension unit was that if you weren't already a member of the pension system when the tier changed then you're out. Maybe there are exceptions or nuances to that, but I would assume 1. that you're going to be tier 6 2. don't buy your time back unless you make it on the job and they tell you that if you buy your time you can convert to tier 2.

Thanks gentlemen for the info. I guess I should worry about this when I get my foot in the door, God willing that is. Thanks again

Forum Member

Down the line..is it possible to attend grad school and or start another part time profession in sayyyy healthcare?

Forum Member

You don't need to know the answer to either of these questions.

Yes but as a probie you won't be working out while you are on duty.

Pensions: There are 3 possible tiers you could end up in: 2, 3, or 3 modified by 6 ("6"). My understanding on the subject is if you have any pensionable time with the city or state prior to 7/1/2009 you will be able to convert your pension into tier 2 and your time will count up front (only for the pension though, not for pay or seniority). If you have pensionable time between 7/1/2009 and I think 4/1/2012 you can convert your pension to tier 3. Time doesn't count on front or back, just counts towards the 5 years needed to vest into the pension system. If you didn't enter the pension till after 4/1/2012 (or are a total new hire, obviously) you will be in 6.
    yes I do need to know the answers to those questions. So its about 87 appearances b4 sick or vacation time?

Also do you have to do the 24 hour shifts or can you just work the 2....9 hour day shifts and the 2...15 hour nights shifts instead.

I can imagine it must be hard to stay awake for 24 hours straight when doing that tour.

Forum Member

Thanks, good to know, for both of us lol. My situation is a bit different I guess since I've been in Tier 4 since 2007 when I first joined city service. Like I said a few posts above, a rep from NYCERS told me I'd initially be placed in tier 6 with FD but then I'd be eligible for a transfer to tier 4 which would take almost a year to take effect...but then I found out there's no tier 4 in the FD pension, so I don't know...maybe he meant tier 2 or 3. Like you said earlier, your understanding is anyone starting prior to 09 could actually convert to tier 2...well whatever, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. It's good stuff to know, but it doesn't affect my view of getting on the job one way or another. I will love living my dream regardless of what tier I'm in lol, which I'm sure all of us candidates feel the same way lol.
    Last edited by MESAman; 08-29-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    All salaries are indeed topped out at $76488. FDNY receives $22616 in guaranteed overtime and other fringe benefits which brings us to $99104. Which is about 10k more than DOC before figuring in regular overtime that you accumulate. So, yes, before overtime, FDNY makes about 10k more than DOC.
    the 22k in fringe seems to be a little off.

$76,488 base
    $3000 longevity (approx)
    $5500 96 hours OT
    $450 uniform allowance
    $3700 holiday pay (12 holidays)
    $5000 night differential

Then there is chauffer $$ and/or engine $$.....not sure how it all comes out to 99k.
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 08-29-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    yes I do need to know the answers to those questions. So its about 87 appearances b4 sick or vacation time?

Also do you have to do the 24 hour shifts or can you just work the 2....9 hour day shifts and the 2...15 hour nights shifts instead.

I can imagine it must be hard to stay awake for 24 hours straight when doing that tour.
    I'm glad the schedule is your top priority.
    Bellestoria likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tripps82 View Post
    What made them so pitiful?
    seeing them doing there pt, going out on their run, seeing them doing a shlob march to their next class, some of them dont have the right mentally it seems. just enough to try and get by

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Thank you very much for this advice.

My father, fresh into retirement, and my brother who just got on in May are/were both tier 2. From what they made it sound like was that anyone getting Tier 6 is getting a bit "shafted". How do you guys OTJ feel about the transition from Tier 2 to Tier 6?

Also from what I understand, when tier 2 first came out it also wasn't too great. But the city finally got around to fixing it. Do you think a fix on Tier 6 may take as long as our careers?

i think its a disgrace and slap in the face for new hires to go into tier 6. it seems to me that they are making it seem that guys don't deserve much, just a basic pension. this is not a regular 9 to 5 behind a desk job, but yet that they want to give you guys a 9 to 5 job's pension. it can put a bad impression on guys.
    there is more to say but im not going to give you guys a long post. i know you want to get to the next post already.
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-30-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add on

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    seeing them doing there pt, going out on their run, seeing them doing a shlob march to their next class, some of them dont have the right mentally it seems. just enough to try and get by
    We didn't have PT today, so it wasn't us. LOL
    We are pretty good at marching, hopefully it wasn't us.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 08-30-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Forum Member

no offense guys but the last 10 pages have been non stop complaining about pay. which i think is horrible. the pay is fine. after 5 years ull be making 100 grand. if u need more cash then adjust your take home pay by changing your exemptions. if you need even more cash in hand then adjust the % added to your pension. its simple guys. personally if your worried that much about what FD is paying you have way bigger problems considering there's only **** jobs in the private sector right now.

lets get back to talking about fun stuff like how many EMS and PH's have quit so far. Training techniques. how to beat the stair mill. how to be prepared with all your documents. come on guys lets get it together after all this isn't "vulcansocietyforum.com" go and complain about money on one of their forums. they specialize in complaining about the system
    List 20##
    Score 101

Forum Member

no you don't need to know. when/if you get on then you'll know.
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-30-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typ-o
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    tell everyone they need to step up there game. SERIOUSLY.
    FDsouthbxNY and My1Goal like this.

Forum Member

were you one of the guys that had their gloves almost hit me while they were getting thrown out of building 12? i almost was going to toss it further myself, lol.
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-30-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: typ-o
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Did the vest/step machine for the first time in a while today since my hip was bothering me for some time. For those of you who haven't started it yet, DO IT NOW. Even after only a few weeks off of it I felt as if I put myself back by a month or so. Kicked my arse.
    Last edited by mocon337; 08-30-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I've been out there a lot.....for the last few and several before the hiring freeze. Like it or not, the performance of this class as a whole is the worst......ever. More people have resigned at this point or are on medical leave than ever before. This doesn't mean you're personally underperforming, or your squad is, but the class as a whole is looking less motivated than we've seen. I watched some guy doing push-ups last week.....he had his ***** so high in the air he looked like a teepee! A few guys on the run looked like DEATH. Last week it took someone over 10 minutes to climb the aerial ladder. Seriously, should be fired. That's a 1 minute operation that took over 10.

Everyone who f'ed up was getting screamed at.....but man, I've never seen so many with a lackadazicle attitude.

PHs are coming on this job with a lot of negative heat. I know that not all of you guys deserve it, but the bad attitudes hurt you all and fan the flames. You guys need to police each other as an entire class. Push each other to improve, get with the program. Those that can't? Help them to the door.
    My1Goal, vekdoggs75 and FuDsNmYc like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I've been out there a lot.....for the last few and several before the hiring freeze. Like it or not, the performance of this class as a whole is the worst......ever. More people have resigned at this point or are on medical leave than ever before. This doesn't mean you're personally underperforming, or your squad is, but the class as a whole is looking less motivated than we've seen. I watched some guy doing push-ups last week.....he had his ***** so high in the air he looked like a teepee! A few guys on the run looked like DEATH. Last week it took someone over 10 minutes to climb the aerial ladder. Seriously, should be fired. That's a 1 minute operation that took over 10.

Everyone who f'ed up was getting screamed at.....but man, I've never seen so many with a lackadazicle attitude.

PHs are coming on this job with a lot of negative heat. I know that not all of you guys deserve it, but the bad attitudes hurt you all and fan the flames. You guys need to police each other as an entire class. Push each other to improve, get with the program. Those that can't? Help them to the door.

absolutely right
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-30-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

the 22k in fringe seems to be a little off.

$76,488 base
    $3000 longevity (approx)
    $5500 96 hours OT
    $450 uniform allowance
    $3700 holiday pay (12 holidays)
    $5000 night differential

Then there is chauffer $$ and/or engine $$.....not sure how it all comes out to 99k.
    It does. But feel free to do your own research by going on to the FDNY website and clicking on the "pay and benefits" section. There it will tell you what you make each year in regular pay and fringe for every year leading up to top pay, where you'll see that a five year guy makes $22616 in fringe benefits, brining his yearly salary to $99104. If you're still unconvinced, I guess you can contact Metrotech and request a complete breakdown, dollar for dollar, of what a fireman gets paid. Then you can tell them you don't believe them.

But I gotta tell you, this is absolutely none of your concern at this point. Your only worry should be getting on; you're not gonna touch top pay money for five full years after you do. So stop asking stupid questions.
    FDsouthbxNY and USMC2024 like this.

Forum Member

When you do 24 hour shifts and 72 hour off. you Sleep at night during the 24 hour shift. Theres beds in firehouses.. It wouldn't be very efficient to try and fight fires after staying up for 20+hours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    were you one of the guys that had their gloves almost hit me while they were getting thrown out of building 12? i almost was going to toss it further myself, lol.
    No, didn't have that class yesterday. But, I will mention to my squad about stepping it up, most are excellent, only a couple have 2 right feet. We are working on them.

Forum Member

Is there any problem with working under a 10-99 instead of a w2? A few months ago I started a new job as a mover. I like the job because if the physical labor and would love to work here until the academy, granted I make it in. My concern comes with being paid in cash. I heard the background requires you to bring recent pay stubs. Does anyone think this can be a potential bump in the road, because if so I need to look for a new job sooner than later.

Thread Information