Like Tree9947Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Question about getting to the Rock for the academy when that time comes to pass. I live in Williamsburg and currently work in the city. I take mass transit and walk everywhere. Should I invest in a car to get back and forth from the Rock? I'm aware that people carpool but I don't want to assume anything or put people out of their way. I tend to get up very early and leave way ahead of schedule because being late is a pet-peeve of mine. Just asking what guys in prior academy's did. Thanks for any advice.

Forum Member

Chill out man, you're seriously getting way to worked up over this. I've tried being respectful and rational with you. I've apologized if it came off the wrong way multiple times, but that hasn't done anything so its not worth continuing. This is just a forum, sorry for "demanding" that we stop with the hate, I had good intentions. Take it easy bud, good luck down the line. Best wishes (no sarcasm).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 19FDNY77 View Post
    Ok so you got ur 5 yrs on dude, keep ur mouth shut also! If ur a FIREFIGHTER (politically correct by the way), why argue with these guys in the first place! We/you/me/them should be giving info and nothing else on our part! Arguing over it does nothing for us but make us sound like babies, type info, press post and its over, there arguing with the help not us! You are on the greatest job not them! Let them all post there inside source Info and speculate on ratios and BS. In reality there making up there own info, lets keep our whining in the FH and not on this thread. Good luck guys!

OK, that'll do it for me. When we get actual firemen (or someone claiming to be) acting like di*** on here, I draw the line. You, my friend, can f*** off. I'm out.

Forum Member

Originally Posted by 19FDNY77
    Ok so you got ur 5 yrs on dude, keep ur mouth shut also! If ur a FIREFIGHTER (politically correct by the way), why argue with these guys in the first place! We/you/me/them should be giving info and nothing else on our part! Arguing over it does nothing for us but make us sound like babies, type info, press post and its over, there arguing with the help not us! You are on the greatest job not them! Let them all post there inside source Info and speculate on ratios and BS. In reality there making up there own info, lets keep our whining in the FH and not on this thread. Good luck guys!

OK, that'll do it for me. When we get actual firemen (or someone claiming to be) acting like di*** on here, I draw the line. You, my friend, can f*** off. I'm out.

Thank god dude! Back to reality boys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post

Thank god dude! Back to reality boys

Forum Member

And it's firefighter dips**t! The women earned there status as firefighters also! My sister happens to be one and the way you sound, is a better FF than you will ever be, probably smack the s**t out of u also!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    Question about getting to the Rock for the academy when that time comes to pass. I live in Williamsburg and currently work in the city. I take mass transit and walk everywhere. Should I invest in a car to get back and forth from the Rock? I'm aware that people carpool but I don't want to assume anything or put people out of their way. I tend to get up very early and leave way ahead of schedule because being late is a pet-peeve of mine. Just asking what guys in prior academy's did. Thanks for any advice.
    You will likely be able to secure a carpool, but it will take a few days. If you have the disposable income it would make life a lot easier to just get a car. Buy a beater and get minimal insurance. I was in your shoes, but in Astoria. I bought a car, and then sold it about a month after the academy ended.

Forum Member

Yea man I'm in the same position as you living in GP. I have a little while to sort it out but I've definitely thought about how that'd work if I'm lucky enough to get through everything unscathed. What's your list # range??
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

And btw, have any of you guys, OTJ or not, checked out the probie manual they posted on the official website. Can anyone OTJ or in the academy now let me know if it's worth a glance/relevant if they've looked at it? Or is it just fluff provided by the city in an attempt to further hold our hands?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    And btw, have any of you guys, OTJ or not, checked out the probie manual they posted on the official website. Can anyone OTJ or in the academy now let me know if it's worth a glance/relevant if they've looked at it? Or is it just fluff provided by the city in an attempt to further hold our hands?
    It's literally the current version of the probie books. It's not a fluff piece, however you shouldn't be studiously taking notes yet. I opened a random chapter and found differences between those books and mine. Stuff changes constantly, so I'd pay more attention to it once it looks like you're likely going to get hired soon.

Forum Member

Glad being late is a pet peeve, because it's a pet peeve of the Drill Instructors too! LOL.
    Seriously though, you need a car. Mass transit is going to take too long. Are you really going to take the L to the 4/5 to the M35 everyday at 4:30am? No, it'll be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Reading anything job related is good, but not necessary. If you do, just do it to learn some terms and lingo, but by no means stress about it. You'll be inundated with it when the time comes.

**Lastly, on an opinion note. I'm a fireman. F that politically correct b.s. I work with good men AND women and they're all Firemen just the same. I hate the term firefighter....invented for PC malcontents. Next we'll all have to call ourselves hupersons......human is so offensive..... (Rolls eyes)
    My1Goal, vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FDsouthbxNY;1382167]What are you talking about......there's no such thing as a 24/72 schedule.....and you never sleep in a firehouse. If you're lucky you can get a little rest in here and there. We fight fires without sleep everyday and we see, to do it fairly proficiently, thanks.[/QUOTE

But aren't there beds inside the firehouse? aren't those used for sleeping. Saw an old friend the other day whose a fireman now. He has a business on the side of his FF gig. he said he regularly gets a full 8 hours sleep in his FIREHOUSE overnight. I guess he is in a slow hour then?
    DedicatedAmbition likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post

**Lastly, on an opinion note. I'm a fireman. F that politically correct b.s. I work with good men AND women and they're all Firemen just the same. I hate the term firefighter....invented for PC malcontents. Next we'll all have to call ourselves hupersons......human is so offensive..... (Rolls eyes)
    Haha that's almost as bad as the PD wanting to discontinue allowing officers to describe suspected perps on a basis of gender, race, or dress. "We have a blob of matter expending energy through the vacuum of space on 34th street..."
    vekdoggs75 and NYPDtoFD like this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

If you are asking about sleep on the job, before you are offered it, people might get the wrong impression. That would be something i would just have to find out on my own when i get to the firehouse. Just my opinion.....

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FDNY4Life;1382282]
    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    What are you talking about......there's no such thing as a 24/72 schedule.....and you never sleep in a firehouse. If you're lucky you can get a little rest in here and there. We fight fires without sleep everyday and we see, to do it fairly proficiently, thanks.[/QUOTE

But aren't there beds inside the firehouse? aren't those used for sleeping. Saw an old friend the other day whose a fireman now. He has a business on the side of his FF gig. he said he regularly gets a full 8 hours sleep in his FIREHOUSE overnight. I guess he is in a slow hour then?
    Well, your friend sounds like a real hairbag.....you're gonna make a real great cop on LI. They have websites too, go troll there. We do lots of things in our second home with our second family. Some places are busier than others, but that makes the work no less deadly. I'm sure robert beddia and joseph graffagnino had sat at dinner with the brothers that night only to perish at the DB building later on and did you ever think about what the brothers at 4 engine and 15 truck were doing the morning of 9/11 right before they responded to thier last alarm? How about those brave souls who went to work on Father's Day, leaving thier families for the last time. You're a real brainless, heartless punk with no graspe of the dangers or devotion involved in this lifestyle. That's right, lifestyle, not job.

Take all that into consideration when guys on this job get ****ed off when the questions and comments here drift into topics like pay, beds, working 24s and other B.S..

The guys I work with took giant pay cuts for this job. They waited years to get where they wanted to be and they did whatever was asked to get there. Entitled attitudes are NOT WELCOME. Anyone with the right attitude, I look forward to your joint the ranks, the rest......go the F#%K away.

No one here wants thanks or pats on the back. We just want to be able to come to work and, god willing, get the chance to help someone in a meaningful way. You want a nice bed? Move home with mommy......

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FDsouthbxNY;1382285]
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post

Well, your friend sounds like a real hairbag.....you're gonna make a real great cop on LI. They have websites too, go troll there. We do lots of things in our second home with our second family. Some places are busier than others, but that makes the work no less deadly. I'm sure robert beddia and joseph graffagnino had sat at dinner with the brothers that night only to perish at the DB building later on and did you ever think about what the brothers at 4 engine and 15 truck were doing the morning of 9/11 right before they responded to thier last alarm? How about those brave souls who went to work on Father's Day, leaving thier families for the last time. You're a real brainless, heartless punk with no graspe of the dangers or devotion involved in this lifestyle. That's right, lifestyle, not job.

Take all that into consideration when guys on this job get ****ed off when the questions and comments here drift into topics like pay, beds, working 24s and other B.S..

The guys I work with took giant pay cuts for this job. They waited years to get where they wanted to be and they did whatever was asked to get there. Entitled attitudes are NOT WELCOME. Anyone with the right attitude, I look forward to your joint the ranks, the rest......go the F#%K away.

No one here wants thanks or pats on the back. We just want to be able to come to work and, god willing, get the chance to help someone in a meaningful way. You want a nice bed? Move home with mommy......
    Very well said brother. The last few pages have been full of nonsense. Worry about the pay, schedule, etc. if/ when you make it to the academy.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

For the guys who live in Brooklyn.

I live central east side of prospect park. Should we be in the same academy well work out a car pool. At the moment I have a mustang (which I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested) so dunno how many I could fit but I may have something a little bigger by then.

With a list number in the low low 900's I'm praying for January but if not then hopefully July.

Keep in touch.

Forum Member

Hey Manhattan Medic, FDaouthbxNY,mocon337 and FdnyFFHopeful thanks for the rapid and honest answers. I am going to look into purchasing a beater just for the time at the academy. The thought of taking the L train then 4,5,6 and then a bus with all my gear and books twice a day does not seem feasible. Plus that way I can take a few other with me if anyone else wants to get there super early. Mocon337 my list number is in the upper 15##'s so yeah I'd think there is a strong likelihood we could be on the same class. Be good all and keep training, yesterday was the only easy day.

Forum Member

Hey Manhattan Medic, FDaouthbxNY,mocon337 and FdnyFFHopeful thanks for the rapid and honest answers. I am going to look into purchasing a beater just for the time at the academy. The thought of taking the L train then 4,5,6 and then a bus with all my gear and books twice a day does not seem feasible. Plus that way I can take a few other with me if anyone else wants to get there super early. Mocon337 my list number is in the upper 15##'s so yeah I'd think there is a strong likelihood we could be on the same class. Be good all and keep training, yesterday was the only easy day.
    Hey Medic2312,

When the time comes could I get in the car pool also? I'm 15XX and live in Bayridge.

Also, If anyone is wants a running or training buddy I'm down.
    Last edited by dem7191; 08-31-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    No, didn't have that class yesterday. But, I will mention to my squad about stepping it up, most are excellent, only a couple have 2 right feet. We are working on them.
    just remember you guys are just as strong as your weakest link
    Last edited by fdnybk; 08-31-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    When did I ever tell you how your allowed to talk ? I'm trying to show you everyone on this forum as much respect as they deserve, regardless if they plan on showing it back. I personally don't have any questions or concerns about pay or schedule or anything, but some people do. Why get mad at them for asking you guys for the advice to see if this career is right for them or not ? As I stated, I understand you guys have even through the rock and you guys are living all our dream, and nobody is trying to disrespect you so please don't take it like that. I'm just trying to help get the forum back where it should be. But with you guys OTJ being pompous and acting better than us doesn't help at all. I don't post much on the forum, but I do follow it and like to gain information. But it becomes difficult when all everyone does is complain about Phs or disrespect each other. We're all out for the same thing and you guys have been where we are with the same questions. We come on this forum to discuss important topics about the job, not just how to get on and there's no reason why we should feel berated by people OTJ. I'm showing you respect so I would appreciate it if you showed me the same respect.

NO guys shouldnt be asking how much overtime they get, how they can do their work schedule. that stuff you find out when/if you get on.
    their number one priority focus should be on getting in the academy.
    if you guys are really really worried about pay, then maybe this job isnt for you. you will not be rich getting on this job.
    DedicatedAmbition likes this.

Forum Member

to each its own, but do you really want to carry your duffel bag full of stuff back and forth on the train?
    if and when the time comes, carpool. but having your own car makes life easier

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    just remember you guys are just as strong as your weekest link
    You are right, they are getting better though.

Forum Member

Dem7191, of course you can. As the time gets closer we can speak more. I'm down for a running partner. Private message me. Lets do a run next week.

Forum Member

As far as car pooling is concerned, there will be plenty of car pooling teams at the academy. Don't worry about finding other people to team up with.

Thread Information