Like Tree10635Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I'll be starting an academy for another job next week, which came out of nowhere and won't be able to take any days off until January probably. Does anyone know if the FD will work with me or do I have to wait until then to start the process? Thanks in advance to anyone with any insight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJMacReady View Post
    I'll be starting an academy for another job next week, which came out of nowhere and won't be able to take any days off until January probably. Does anyone know if the FD will work with me or do I have to wait until then to start the process? Thanks in advance to anyone with any insight.
    I know they let you reschedule appointments, but I'm not sure if they will give appointments on the weekends, except for the CPAT training at the rock of course. I can see them being flexible, but I don't see them bending over backwards. Good luck with the academy.

Forum Member

Dude your list number is 10xx you haven't gotten a
    Package yet ?

Forum Member

Sorry if this has been covered recently guys/gals,

Does anyone know what the plan is for people who took their medical in June with the assumption of the July class, but are now staring at the January class? Will we need to redo
    The whole medical process, or is there a mini medical
    to just make sure you haven't gotten fat? I asked my investigator, and she didn't know. She said she would find out and get back to me, so in the mean time, figured I woul reach out to you folks. Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ext. 17 View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered recently guys/gals,

Does anyone know what the plan is for people who took their medical in June with the assumption of the July class, but are now staring at the January class? Will we need to redo
    The whole medical process, or is there a mini medical
    to just make sure you haven't gotten fat? I asked my investigator, and she didn't know. She said she would find out and get back to me, so in the mean time, figured I woul reach out to you folks. Thank you.
    I thought I heard the medical was good for 1 year...

Forum Member

lemme guess, is it for court officer job? I was appointed for that academy too but turned it down since im already on a job that pays more.. if it is courts, that's state, and not city, so I really don't think they are going to be able to work with you.. and being its an academy, it will be Monday-Friday, I don't know if fdny will run recruitment activities during weekend.. if its city entity, then they should work with you.. when I was in academy, there was a guy that was going for nypd physical and they had to give him the time off to go take it.

Forum Member

yo if someone could me out with these two things...

A) I tried getting my drivers abstract from the dmv website but it said my info was incorrect. The only reason i could think of is I just got the M for my motorcycle license to be put on there yesterday..Makes no sense ATM why I cant order this thing online.

B) the detailed earnings statement: I was looking up SS offices; do i need "card service" or "other services" I'd hate to show up at the wrong place monday

As always thanks for the help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    yo if someone could me out with these two things...

A) I tried getting my drivers abstract from the dmv website but it said my info was incorrect. The only reason i could think of is I just got the M for my motorcycle license to be put on there yesterday..Makes no sense ATM why I cant order this thing online.

B) the detailed earnings statement: I was looking up SS offices; do i need "card service" or "other services" I'd hate to show up at the wrong place monday

As always thanks for the help
    I hate ordering anything online from the DMV that happened to me before with
    My cdl ... In another note we can ride together
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

I just went to DMV and got a printout, and the SS office, I didn't know there was a difference, I thought they were all the same. I would say go to the other service.
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I hate ordering anything online from the DMV that happened to me before with
    My cdl ... In another note we can ride together
    they would only let me like this once! after my probational period would be more than happy to

AND F*** I was just there I hate that place

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I just went to DMV and got a printout, and the SS office, I didn't know there was a difference, I thought they were all the same. I would say go to the other service.

sometimes i can be a complete idiot but this is what i used ... https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/ic001.do#officeResults

Forum Member

I would go to a place that has all services, and remember to get the correct years. If you are not sure about the years, get extra years printed out just to be safe.

Forum Member

they would only let me like this once! after my probational period would be more than happy to

AND F*** I was just there I hate that place
    let me know !!! Ill be here for the next 4 years so shoot me a message when you ready ... What you ride ?

Forum Member

fdny only schedules stuff monday to friday they wont work with your schedules. your options will be to forfeit your application or deactivate it. if you deactivate it, you have to write a formal letter making the request to dcas and fdny i believe. when you"re ready to reactivate it they will put you back to active and if they passed up your number you will be placed back up to the top of the list. just make sure that this job is worth missing out on the opportunity of being a firefighter for fdny. another class is not guaranteed. take it from anyone who missed out on the july 2008 class and waited four years and then heard the list was completely thrown out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    let me know !!! Ill be here for the next 4 years so shoot me a message when you ready ... What you ride ?
    at the moment i ride a self powered bicycle. Im staying away from anything that will get me hurt. First motorcycle will have to wait, snowboards staying on the wall this winter.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Still haven't received my packet yet, I'm going to call Monday. Would I call candidate investigations division ? And if so are these the correct numbers 718-999-2169 and 718-999-2179 ? I'm starting to get a little anxious about not receiving it. Anyone else not receive their packet yet. I know of one person that just yesterday received their CPAT orientation from DCAS. But on here at least it seems like everyone in the next line of hiring range got their packets already.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    3) Does my job have to give me the day off, aka official business to go to all my appointments if im working those days, or do I have to find a way to get the day off or use my own vacation time to take the days off... my job is telling me its on my time but they aren't sure.. I've heard from former city employees that the job has to give you official business and its on their time.
    For EMS employees we were generally excused from work, or when possible our appointment/work schedule was moved around to make both jive, however those were accommodations for employees in processing for a promotion. Given you are trying to leave a different city agency I can't see that agency having to offer the same help. Not totally sure though.

Pick one. If you are in the running for the January class and you actually want to be there I would not be doing the academy for another job. Except for the CPAT everything else is going to be on a weekday. Also how many thousands of people want the job as a Firefighter? How many other people are on the list for the academy you're starting now? Either place would have an easy time filling your spot, so neither is likely to work with you much in trying to game the system and jump from one to the other.

Unrelated:
    Also I feel like you guys are mixing up the cpat/academy stuff. "Business Suit Orientation Day" is not the CPAT training orientation at The Rock, it's 1 week before an academy class is set to begin. It's the day everybody that passed the run and is getting hired goes to the Rock to get situated to start the academy. The CPAT training orientation that is apparently coming up is nowhere near the same thing. You could wear a suit for that and nobody is going to think badly of you, but I think you'd probably be fine with slightly more casual. The CPAT stuff through DCAS has nothing to do with FDNY and is all at the DCAS testing center in Queens. It really doesn't matter what you wear there. I think each time you go you have the opportunity to try the events out so athletic wear is not a bad thing.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Good job bro, at my medical this week there were 9 of us and one no show. I believe all but 1 passed, a guy fell off at 7:38! He yelled pretty loud too almost screwing up the guy next to him. I was close to the wall in my zone they could have been banging pots near my ears and I would have sailed through. Don't think those guys are done tho, it should be 2 and out but all they have to do is file an appeal and take a few medical test and come back in another 30 days or so. Either way myself and a few of my brothers on here are completely done and waiting on the run
    Yea i just had my medical on the 12th. Passed everything except for hr portion. Didnt even get to put the vest on. Anyway, i have till the 11th of october to prepare for the 5:12 to possible 8 minutes. Been training on the stairs w/ 50lb vest and can do a little over 8 minutes straight but damn do i feel it in the legs at that point.

Question is, how did u prepare and/or how many days rest did u take between your last training on the stairs at the gym and the actual date of your retry. I just want to be fully recovered and not have to worry about my legs being too shot from training. Right now i usually take 2 days rest between stair training. Sometimes i feel fully recovered and sometimes i dont. So how many days did u rest b4 ur retry?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Still haven't received my packet yet, I'm going to call Monday. Would I call candidate investigations division ? And if so are these the correct numbers 718-999-2169 and 718-999-2179 ? I'm starting to get a little anxious about not receiving it. Anyone else not receive their packet yet. I know of one person that just yesterday received their CPAT orientation from DCAS. But on here at least it seems like everyone in the next line of hiring range got their packets already.
    I wouldn't worry too much, if anything they might have messed up your address or something like that. Guys with numbers after you got their packet and you haven't been given the chance to mess something up or get disqualified yet so I wouldn't worry about that haha.

Forum Member

at the moment i ride a self powered bicycle. Im staying away from anything that will get me hurt. First motorcycle will have to wait, snowboards staying on the wall this winter.
    Yea that's a smart move to do !!!! You never know what can happened ... If I was close like you I would've got rid of the bike and many other things ...

Forum Member

Where is tom packet !!!!!!!!??????

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    Odds of doing nursing school and completing it after a few years in the FDNY....
    I can't give you the odds, but I know a few that started and completed their nursing degree after a few years. It's possible and from what I've heard from them, quite flexible when it comes to scheduling once they're certified.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    had to disclose about nypd psych DQ on my paper work.. im kinda scared this will be a problem.. Im with DOC, and ive been appointed for other law enforcement agencies for which ive declined.. And I currently hold peace officer status.

How big of a part will this nypd dq play in me processing with fdny? I have the DQ letter from nypd and it says their Dq is specific to nypd and doesn't reflect on my suitability for other employment.
    John - don't think its a big deal.. did they ask you to submit the letter?

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the answers guys. You've all said pretty much what I thought you would. I'd love to assume I'm a lock for the July class next year but I'm really not in a position to be turning down a job right now and a million things can happen between now and then. So I'm gonna see about putting it off until I'm able to take the time to make all the appointments and hope I can still make July. I'm still going to the CPAT orientations though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Yea i just had my medical on the 12th. Passed everything except for hr portion. Didnt even get to put the vest on. Anyway, i have till the 11th of october to prepare for the 5:12 to possible 8 minutes. Been training on the stairs w/ 50lb vest and can do a little over 8 minutes straight but damn do i feel it in the legs at that point.

Question is, how did u prepare and/or how many days rest did u take between your last training on the stairs at the gym and the actual date of your retry. I just want to be fully recovered and not have to worry about my legs being too shot from training. Right now i usually take 2 days rest between stair training. Sometimes i feel fully recovered and sometimes i dont. So how many days did u rest b4 ur retry?
    I personally didn't do any extra prep. Scheduled it for three days later and just rested up. Banged it out. Didn't want it hanging over my head. Figured if I'm not ready for 8 mins on a stair machine I'm sure as sh/t not ready for the Rock. Other guys were scheduling it exactly 30 days out which I thought was silly - gave them time to train, but no wiggle room if something unavoidable happened. If you feel ready I would suggest getting it over with. If not schedule it for 3 weeks out but don't push it. Just my opinion.
    coldblood92 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Thread Information