Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 568 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 68468518558565566567568569570571578618668 ... LastLast
Results 11,341 to 11,360 of 20473
Like Tree7771Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

On May 14th, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit reversed Eastern District Judge Nicholas Garaufis' finding that the FDNY engaged in intentional discrimination against blacks and Hispanics. Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP proudly filed a brief in opposition to these outlandish, highly offensive and divisive claims. They offered their services pro-bono for an FDNY advocacy group, Merit Matters, and over 11,000 people who signed the petition maintained on the S&G website.
    To date, Keith Sullivan & James Galleshaw, the founding partners of Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP have provided hundreds of hours of free legal services to this very worthy cause. “Sullivan and Galleshaw have represented Merit Matters on a pro-bono basis for almost four years. They have demonstrated an unparalleled commitment to NYC residents and firefighters. I have called on them at all times of the day and night and have always been provided with timely answers and advice. I can't say enough positive things about them. I highly recommend them” said FDNY Deputy Chief Paul Mannix,

In order to understand the implication of this ruling on this lengthy and complex case, it is necessary to understand how this case was initiated and what has happened in it along the way. To keep that summary simple, the Department of Justice filed a “Disparate Impact” lawsuit against the FDNY alleging that blacks and Hispanics were failing the FDNY entrance exams more frequently than white candidates. The Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters, joined in those allegations and added a theory of “Disparate Treatment”, which alleged that the FDNY intentionally discriminated against blacks and Hispanics. Eastern District Court Judge Nicholas Garaufis denied the FDNY the right to have a full trial on these two legal theories and determined that as a matter of law that the FDNY was liable on both fronts. As a result of the “Impact” claim, he instituted quota hiring and back-pay as compensation. As a result of the “Treatment” claim, he appointed a Special Monitor to be a pseudo-surrogate in managing and operating the FDNY in matters of recruitment, candidate retention, EEO issues, employee retention, Human Resources, department policy and procedures and also required that the FDNY hire expert consultants to assist in reversing the racist atmosphere that he alleged exists.

The New York City Law Department represented the City of New York. On behalf of Merit Matters and you, Sullivan & Galleshaw filed an Amicus Curia brief with the appellate court. Merit Matters is an advocacy group that opposes illegal quota-based hiring or promoting and touts an individual’s merit as the sole factor to be considered in the hiring and promoting of firefighters within the FDNY and society as a whole. The group was founded by Deputy Chief Paul Mannix and is represented pro-bono by Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP. They have over 10,000 registered supporters.

Most unfortunately, they City Law Department -despite constant requests from Sullivan & Galleshaw and Merit Matters- chose to only appeal the Disparate Treatment (a/k/a Intentional Discrimination) claim. Thus, that was the only issue before the appellate court. There was compelling evidence that the entry-level tests used in the past were legal because they tested job-related requirements, such as reading comprehension, logic and other fundamental cognitive skills. Thus, despite the fact that minorities were not passing them in lockstep with white candidates, Merit Matters maintained that they were legal since the law allows for such disparate impact results if the tests are assessing skills that are job-related.

In overturning Judge Garafuis’ ruling the appellate court also made the unprecedented finding that the judge is has shown a clear bias against the FDNY and ordered that the case is to be remanded back to a different District Court Judge to preside over a bench trial on whether the FDNY intentionally discriminates against minorities. The evidence is overwhelming that such a vile allegation is false and should easily be refuted in Court once the FDNY is afforded their Constitutional right to a trial on this issue-- something judge Gatafuis denied.

Merit Matters and Sullivan & Galleshaw have been at the forefront of this case arduously advocating for equality. During a court hearing Garaufis asked an FDNY Commissioner what should be done to discipline and prevent the outspoken Merit Matters group. In the most embarrassing moment in the whole case, the Commissioner had to remind the Judge about the existence of the First Amendment and freedom of speech, when he advised the judge that these bedrock principles of our Country protect the advocacy and speech of Merit Matters.

"This was a major victory. We are pleased that the Appeals Court agreed with our brief, that initial finding of Intentional Discrimination was simply shocking. We are dismayed, however, that the City did not appeal the entire ruling. Their failure to appeal the finding of Disparate Impact means lesser qualified individuals, some who scored as low as 25 on an open book test, may now be hired because of skin color. Introducing employees hired because of a quota creates myriad problems for an organization, and in the FDNY these problems include a corrosive atmosphere that may impact our ability to provide the best possible service to those who rely on us”, said Paul Mannix earlier this week.

Attorney Keith Sullivan said, “This is a tremendous legal victory for that which was up on appeal. To vacate a decision that held that the members of the FDNY are racist and intentionally discriminate against blacks and Hispanics through patterns and practices of racist behavior is a great victory. That allegation on the FDNY is perhaps the most offensive allegation one could make. That ugly and divisive allegation was a badge of disrespect that our friends and family who are members of the department did not deserve to have pinned on them. However, I have always maintained that the City’s failure to appeal the entire case was a critical error and one that can have long-term negative implications for the FDNY”.

Merit Matters and Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP will continue to be the loudest voice and strongest advocate for equality and fairness. A large part of what the group has taken on is fighting back against illegal policies that are designed to favor people based on their skin color. “When you hire the best, most qualified candidate in a color-blind manner, you’ll get the best department, one like the FDNY that we can all be proud of. However, the minute politics and preferential treatment plays into the vetting process, you’re no longer hiring the best candidates. All people should be treated equal without any regard to race” Sullivan said. Paul Mannix stated, “A win is a win and I am happy about it as far as it goes, but it could have and should have been much more extensive. Sullivan & Galleshaw are looking into what, if any, legal maneuvers they can employ to have the appellate courts review the remaining portions of the case. Merit Matters is our name but it is much more than that - it is an indisputable truth which, if ignored, will result in tragedy.”
    vekdoggs75 and NYPDtoFD like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Each squad has a squad leader. There will be 12 squads.

Being a squad leader is an extra responsibility and a privilege. A privilege that can and has been taken away if that individual is not performing thier duties as a squad leader OR as a proby.
    Thank you sir. That's going to be one of my goals after entering the academy.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=steven9d3;1372892]What is everyone's 1.5m time now? And what's your goal time?[/QUOTe

At first i use to struggle with the 1.5m, running it just under 14 minutes. Just hate running. After a few months of consistently running, my best time has been 10:57. Now I've been running distance as opposed to just the 1.5m.

Goal time- 10 minutes or under

Forum Member

The same people ask me the same questions around every 1-2 weeks. I use to go into detail and try and explain this whole mess. Now I just say sometime in 2014, if everything runs the way its suppose to.
    vekdoggs75 and NycQ83 like this.

Forum Member

Quick question. What does everyone think about what OC numbers they will send packets out to for the Jan class? Not what number they will hire up to but what number will they stop at for sending packets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    It's not really something you can influence that much. Are you a vet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    They're going to take Vets first. If they have a lot of Vets, rank in your branch of service will matter. Considering that the top of the list is pretty chock full of Vets, that's the only group who'll be squad leaders.

Don't worry about it anyway, just do what they tell you to do.

I know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for MM if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...Ps4 and Xbox One are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Combat medic 92 View Post
    and there's nothing wrong with a little extra pt to get me ready for the suppression side.
    I don't mean to be rude but BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha. Since your time in EMS will likely be short there's no excuse for having a bad attitude there. Make the most of it while there so that you'll better appreciate just how much better the other side is.

re: Spiderneck: Homework is to be up on all your reading for whatever classes you have the following day, and in general since the quizzes/tests cover a lot of ground. If you are a strong student you may be able to manage this better than others, however it is still no small task. You already have video game consoles, right? Why rush to buy the new ones, save yourself the temptation and play the same old games you have, then reward yourself when it's done.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 06-14-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Forum Member

Been lurking in this thread for a long time now. Figured I would make an account and say hello...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for MM if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...Ps4 and Xbox One are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?
    This goes for you and anyone else looking to get hired. When you take the oath, you dedicate your life to this job. This statement applies even harder in the academy. The academy is a mental, physical and social challenge. You will have to put it before everything else. Girlfriend, wife, significant other, kids and friends will have all to do their best to work with you and help you get through. Some are more understanding than others but you simply cannot excel in the academy if you don't devote everything into giving it your all and minimizing distractions.

The homework is whatever you want it to be. Can some people get by without ever opening the book? Sure, but is that the firefighter you want to become? Something in that book may very well save your life or another someday. You need to expect an 11 hour work day plus commute. When you get home, you will have some time to shower up, eat a well deserved meal and an hour or two to do what you have to do if you intend to get at least 5 hours of sleep in.

The video games will always be there. This job is a once in a life time opportunity.

FDNY firefighters pride themselves on pushing their limits to get the job done. When you wake up in the morning do you want to look yourself in the mirror and say you're trying your best, or are you going to do whatever it takes?

Besides, the PS4 and Xbox one are both garbage.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 06-14-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    ffbam24 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

Forum Member

I'm sure MM would agree, but from what I've heard your day will consist of; Waking up, eating breakfast, getting to the rock EARLY, going home (sitting in traffic), Eating, studying and bed time. I don't even see there being time for any gaming but maybe MM knows better. The person I knew who went through this last academy did nothing but breath, eat, study and sleep through his duration at the fire academy (minus the weekends). I'm prepared to be a complete no body for 26 weeks and as much as I love to game, I will probably put it to the side. But again like I said, I'm sure MM has a better outlook on this.

Forum Member

So you are Brooklyn bravest, but were you born in Brooklyn? There isn't room for two of us on this board. Just jk
    vekdoggs75 and Dannypanigale like this.

Forum Member

MM, I'm a prior enlisted combat medic so I've mastered the ability to keep my head down and nose clean unless the orders gonna kill me or my people. So hopefully that will suit me well going in but believe me, I know a good opportunity when it comes my way. I'm looking forward to my time in ems however short it may be because I know when to be grateful for something. And I know just how much better fire will be, I don't need any ****ty situation to show it. Ems cannot be worse than the sand box. I couldn't be more excited to start the whole process. And to everyone else, the wait may be long but remember where we all came from and think of all the doors this is going to open. Work hard, play hard, and if you want it you better ****ing train hard. Good luck guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiderneck30 View Post
    i know i may get in trouble for asking such a stupid question for such a stupid reason but, question for mm if u don't mind. Can u give me an idea of the "homework" load while in the academy. Honest reason for asking is..well...ps4 and xbox one are dropping this winter. Just wanted to know about how much personal time i may have. Just to have an idea. And before anyone ask how old i am or if i understand my priorities, im gonna be home, tired, sore and aching from the academy. What else am i gonna do?
    are you f$&%ing serious right now bro, do all of us a favor who have really want this career and stay home and huddled in your moms basement playing dungeons and dragons and do not continue the testing process

Forum Member

So where are we at on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    So where are we at on the list?
    If I recall... I think 600 or so did CPAT and high 200s low 300s did psych and med.
    FDsouthbxNY and BrooklynBorn like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    They're going to take Vets first. If they have a lot of Vets, rank in your branch of service will matter. Considering that the top of the list is pretty chock full of Vets, that's the only group who'll be squad leaders.

Don't worry about it anyway, just do what they tell you to do.
    Yes sir, I was a Sgt in the Marine Corps. Just something to strive for. Got to make it in first.

Forum Member

2 quick questions:

1. I'm starting to have some elbow pain when doing pull ups, Im a bigger guy and I have never been good at pull ups so I do a few sets every time I'm in the gym.. Is it worth just laying off for a while? Wider grip?
    2. To you guys who swim, I'm at a YMCA that has a pool.. Do you guys do a particular workout.. Or do you just go in and swim?

Forum Member

Try closer grip chin ups for now so you can not lose your strength while you give it a rest, assuming that doesnt hurt your elbow.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Default for real!

Grow up! For real xbox and PlayStation !

Thread Information