Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067107157557 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 20359
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

i just did the watch the first time and not take notes then take notes the second and third time and it worked better for me. than if i took notes all three times so i guess its just all about what is the best. personally

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2000 View Post
    The topic of discussion at work today was:
    If we make it through the process, what will be waiting on the other side?
    With all thats going on how will the candidates of exam 2000/2500 be viewed in the eyes of guys/gals already otj. Its bad enough that we'll be the new probys, assigned to do the most unwanted task (which i will do with a smile!) Will there be even more pressure to prove ourselves since we took an "easier" exam than everyone else? Honestly the entrance exam doesnt make the firefighter. We still have to get through The Rock. Those instructors are'nt lowering standards, if anything they might make it that much more difficult. I know probys take crap and i understand we have to pay our dues but im expecting extra crap...loads of it.
    Will consistent hardwork be enough or will we always have a dark cloud over us for being "one of those guys/gals."
    The exam for 6019 can not be harder than this exam - from what I've seen on here and in the tutorial this test looks to be much more difficult than that one. From what alot of my friends say on the job, they're looking forward to having fresh blood in the firehouse as long as it's done the right way. i can't say the same thing if Washington's wet dream of having 300 guys/gals from the '99 and '02 exams get allowed to bypass everyone for the next class. I don't care what color those folks are, but remember the minimum score for compensation in this case was a 25!

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Who here has the exam on the 15th of this month? And when you take your exam are you gonna tell us if the test was difficult or not? I'm just anxious to know how hard is this test gonna be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Who here has the exam on the 15th of this month? And when you take your exam are you gonna tell us if the test was difficult or not? I'm just anxious to know how hard is this test gonna be.
    Mine is on the 17th, next saturday.

I doubt the test will be that hard. 60% of the test is video based. Just pay attention, take good notes and you'll be fine. The other section is reading comprehension. Read every question WORD FOR WORD, and at least 2 to 3 times. You may skim through the question and assume it's asking one thing when something as simple as an extra word can throw the whole question on its head. Pay attention to modifiers, such as least likely, and the primary reason, etc.

I'm doing the Examnet tutorials, have my second session this Sunday. They do a great job in breaking down the test, and by giving you lots of advice and test taking tips, especially advice on how to answer the personality agree/disagree questions, which I think will be the one section of the test where it will trip alot of people up. Stay consistent, don't take yourself too seriously.

I will definitely post on the forum my feelings on the exam, without divulging any specific questions obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Mine is on the 17th, next saturday.

I doubt the test will be that hard. 60% of the test is video based. Just pay attention, take good notes and you'll be fine. The other section is reading comprehension. Read every question WORD FOR WORD, and at least 2 to 3 times. You may skim through the question and assume it's asking one thing when something as simple as an extra word can throw the whole question on its head. Pay attention to modifiers, such as least likely, and the primary reason, etc.

I'm doing the Examnet tutorials, have my second session this Sunday. They do a great job in breaking down the test, and by giving you lots of advice and test taking tips, especially advice on how to answer the personality agree/disagree questions, which I think will be the one section of the test where it will trip alot of people up. Stay consistent, don't take yourself too seriously.

I will definitely post on the forum my feelings on the exam, without divulging any specific questions obviously.
    The only thing that worries me is the math section of the test and maybe some of the info ordering. Which I triped up a little bit on the Vulcan prep book. But then again they had a few errors on some of the questions so I don't know if there was any errors in the info ordering section. I couldn't distinguish the order in some of those questions. Can anyone tell me if there was errors made in this section that knows for sure?

Forum Member

To be honest I think everyone is getting a little too crazy about the personality based questions. If you went to the Vulcan class or purchased the Don McNea book its explains what they're looking for. Once you know what they're looking for it's pretty much common sense and even then if you're not sure it's the most politically correct answer. My biggest issue is careless mistakes. Just make sure you read everything carefully even after you get the answer go back and read everything again.

Forum Member

the videos the vulcans showed were alot simpler and less detailed than the fdny ones , that was my opinion anyway

Forum Member

To those who want to know what's on the test from those who have an early test date, I think you're a joke. Nobody on here is anyone's "bro" or "brother", yet. Right now, we are all each others competition. If I work hard enough to be hired, I'm more than glad to lend a helping hand to my fellow probies. But to those who want "insider information" from those who have an early test date, you're no better than the groups who ask for crap they didn't earn.

Maybe I'm a pr*ck, but that is my opinion. I guess that's the Marine in me that has this weird desire to earn what I get. I'm asking that those who take the test early do not share any information once they take the exam. Why give your competition an advantage that you did not have. That would suck if you missed a question and you "hooked up" someone you didn't know and they got hired and you didn't.
    Last edited by FDNY2000; 03-09-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    To those who want to know what's on the test from those who have an early test date, I think you're a joke. Nobody on here is anyone's "bro" or "brother", yet. Right now, we are all each others competition. If I work hard enough to be hired, I'm more than glad to lend a helping hand to my fellow probies. But to those who want "insider information" from those who have an early test date, you're no better than the groups who ask for crap they didn't earn.

Maybe I'm a pr*ck, but that is my opinion. I guess that's the Marine in me that has this weird desire to earn what I get. I'm asking that those who take the test early do not share any information once they take the exam. Why give your competition an advantage that you did not have. That would suck if you missed a question and you "hooked up" someone you didn't know and they got hired and you didn't.
    Quoted for truth, emphasis and agreement

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post

Yeah of course..i think it's fair to say that no one is going to help anyone else while the test taking process is going on because in the end it is competition and of course they want to prevent any investigations of cheating... if u ask me if the test was hard...confusing...if the test site was accommodating..if the computers were functioning properly then fine...but I would never post anything specifically relating to the test...that's for u guys to find out

Forum Member

anyone take the city's prep class yet?

I went to The Vulcan's Session B prep today and thought it was good. They barely covered math, but aside from that covered everything else thoroughly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I went to The Vulcan's Session B prep today and thought it was good. They barely covered math, but aside from that covered everything else thoroughly.

I kind of thought it was kind of a waste of time personally. At least if you went to session A. The only thing I got out of it were 2 different practice vids and questions, and the second vid wouldn't even work so they played one from session A again. Everything else was exactly the same.

I will say that I had no problem getting into either session though (aside from that "cancelled" queens class).
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I kind of thought it was kind of a waste of time personally. At least if you went to session A. The only thing I got out of it were 2 different practice vids and questions, and the second vid wouldn't even work so they played one from session A again. Everything else was exactly the same.

I will say that I had no problem getting into either session though (aside from that "cancelled" queens class).
    From what I've heard that seems to be how everyone who went to session A felt about B. Unfortunately I was at that Queens class for A, so this was my first class I was allowed in to.

Has anyone heard how many Q's were going to be on the test? Also, how will the sections be weighted on your overall grade?

Forum Member

i was wondering if anybody knew of any good basic math websites....the ones on the tutorial arent that good

Forum Member

On questions that say there may be more than one answer if I only answered one of the answers would they mark that incorrect or partial credit ? How are we supposed to answer those questions.

Forum Member

Chief Mannix will be debating with one of the lawyers responsible for the FDNY lawsuit on here today at 5pm.
    http://letyourvoicebeheardradio.blog...sten-here.html

Forum Member

For those that didn't hear the radio show-
    Richard Levy, the vulcan society lawyer was interviewed as well as Chief Mannix. The arguments made by Levy were completely absurd... according to him, NYC firefighters do not need to be able to handle a hoseline, carry a victim down stairs and out of a building or be able to comprehend written instructions.

It was pretty funny, the show was made up of mostly minorities and they completely agreed with Chief Mannix and tore apart Levy.

Thank You Chief, for another professional presentation of the facts.

Lol lol lol lol lol after this interview levy sounds like an idiot. Wow lol now any immigrant from any nationality can get a job with FDNY based on the fact that they don't need any reading comp skills. The vulcans should fire this looney tunes lawyer and get a real one. How did this guy become a lawyer? How did he pass the bar exam thinking the way he does? What a media obsessed tool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    For those that didn't hear the radio show-
    Richard Levy, the vulcan society lawyer was interviewed as well as Chief Mannix. The arguments made by Levy were completely absurd... according to him, NYC firefighters do not need to be able to handle a hoseline, carry a victim down stairs and out of a building or be able to comprehend written instructions.

It was pretty funny, the show was made up of mostly minorities and they completely agreed with Chief Mannix and tore apart Levy.

Thank You Chief, for another professional presentation of the facts.
    I Heard a rumor last weekend from a Firefighter in Queens. He said that the Vulcans, when making their follow up/checkup appointments..that if they take the test and complete the process that they
    well get assigned to slower companies where they won't have to see fire or go into an IDLH atmosphere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I Heard a rumor last weekend from a Firefighter in Queens. He said that the Vulcans, when making their follow up/checkup appointments..that if they take the test and complete the process that they
    well get assigned to slower companies where they won't have to see fire or go into an IDLH atmosphere.
    Good, that'll leave the busier houses to the rest of us (god willing we get on)

Thread Information