Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 575 of 1142 FirstFirst ... 754755255655725735745755765775785856256751075 ... LastLast
Results 11,481 to 11,500 of 22835
Like Tree8972Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    It is not 26 weeks long... Someone started that rumor and it stuck.
    That information was from the mouth of a member of the BHS staff to candidates.

However, I was at HQ again recently to turn in a piece of paperwork and the story was different, the information different. I would bet on the 18 weeks.

I have no idea why that information was given, but it just goes to show, that even down there, inaccurate information is given.

Forum Member

Default New math

So, I know this is mainly the later stages of denial talking here but I'm doing some math to convince myself there is still hope for me and people up to around 1300 to get into the January class.

If all the PHs and promos are out of the way this July class (long shot I know) and the standard 4:1 hiring ratio for OC is the same as it was for the first class of 6019, then, if they need 320 spots filled from the OC you can assume they'd get to around 1280.

I know I'm grasping for straws here, yesterdays news was a punch in the gut. But even if its not looking likely for me at 12XX all you guys with list numbers below 1000 still have a seriously good chance of January.

In the mean time, I really need to find a new job if I'll have to wait a full year from now. Knowing that I was 5-6 months away was the only thing making this mundane office job tolerable.
    NycQ83 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

For the military guys ... How the age requirement for military work again? I'm 29 now if I join the marines would I be able to take the next exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    So, I know this is mainly the later stages of denial talking here but I'm doing some math to convince myself there is still hope for me and people up to around 1300 to get into the January class.

If all the PHs and promos are out of the way this July class (long shot I know) and the standard 4:1 hiring ratio for OC is the same as it was for the first class of 6019, then, if they need 320 spots filled from the OC you can assume they'd get to around 1280.

I know I'm grasping for straws here, yesterdays news was a punch in the gut. But even if its not looking likely for me at 12XX all you guys with list numbers below 1000 still have a seriously good chance of January.

In the mean time, I really need to find a new job if I'll have to wait a full year from now. Knowing that I was 5-6 months away was the only thing making this mundane office job tolerable.
    I feel your pain on the mundane office job. I even took the day off from working out because the thought of another 5-6 months at my job completely took the wind out of my sails. But even with the rumors flying around I'm still holding out out hope that they're wrong and some people off the OC list will be in this July class.
    River6019 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

A recent Vulcan email suggested that this next class would contain approx. 100 PH's. If this were true, that would make for a class of about 200-250 with EMS. I'd be surprised if their intention is to short the class. By that math, 70 bodies are needed from the OC list, perhaps more.

That was the only useful information in the Vulcan email. The rest went on to make racially charged, violent and hateful statements that made veiled accusations at "the white man" and served no purpose but to divide this great fire dept. On that note, I need to emplore everyone going forward to TRY and move past this court battle in practical application. Those hired under court order will be given every bit the fair shot as anyone else, despite what certain agenda driven societies would have you think. On that same note, everyone should universally turn their backs on an organization that seeks to divide, thats the V.S.

Despite what is reflected in the court room or the newspaper, this job is open and accepting and treats all members equally. That includes treating all bags of ***** equally too. Remember, everyone is welcome here, as long as being part of the team is their goal.
    River6019, NycQ83 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    A recent Vulcan email suggested that this next class would contain approx. 100 PH's. If this were true, that would make for a class of about 200-250 with EMS. I'd be surprised if their intention is to short the class. By that math, 70 bodies are needed from the OC list, perhaps more.

That was the only useful information in the Vulcan email. The rest went on to make racially charged, violent and hateful statements that made veiled accusations at "the white man" and served no purpose but to divide this great fire dept. On that note, I need to emplore everyone going forward to TRY and move past this court battle in practical application. Those hired under court order will be given every bit the fair shot as anyone else, despite what certain agenda driven societies would have you think. On that same note, everyone should universally turn their backs on an organization that seeks to divide, thats the V.S.

Despite what is reflected in the court room or the newspaper, this job is open and accepting and treats all members equally. That includes treating all bags of ***** equally too. Remember, everyone is welcome here, as long as being part of the team is their goal.
    Thank you very much for the info - I would love to see what that letter stated in regards to divisive language. That's the kinda stuff I wish the NYC publications would shout them out for, but instead they do nothing.
    River6019 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Combat medic 92 View Post
    So here is the deal, I spoke with the head investigator dealing with our hires. They don't think they will be taking anyone from the OC list for the July class. They said that the PH group is getting letters and that it will
    Most likely fill the academy along with the rest of the ems promotes. Directly from the person who knows the most and oversees the hiring of all the firefighters
    Can you PM the info of the person you spoke to and their phone #? I'm in the top 100 on the OC list but was just made a PH (scored in the mid 90's on 02' test but was deployed when called for class), and I have a feeling I'm gonna get caught in the middle again. thanks

Forum Member

I would really like to read that Vulcan email.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I would really like to read that Vulcan email.
    Agreed, though I'm sure it would just get my blood boiling knowing we can't do anything about it and the media doesn't care what they say or do.
    vekdoggs75 and NycQ83 like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Double post.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Some one paste it up please.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdmar2713 View Post
    Can you PM the info of the person you spoke to and their phone #? I'm in the top 100 on the OC list but was just made a PH (scored in the mid 90's on 02' test but was deployed when called for class), and I have a feeling I'm gonna get caught in the middle again. thanks
    First, you weren't just made a PH. Second, I am sure you will accept the payback money with open hands and a smile on your face. Lastly, I can see your plan is to separate yourself from the PHs due to your statement which was "get in the middle again". You are still a PH and more than likey any minority entering the academy will be labeled as one.

FDSOUTHBX, even though u claim we will be treated equally, in your heart we are still bags of sh.. lolvidently you are taking it personally to the point you hold a vendetta against us. Even if we afe good people outside of this situatio

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gdmar2713 View Post
    First, you weren't just made a PH. Second, I am sure you will accept the payback money with open hands and a smile on your face. Lastly, I can see your plan is to separate yourself from the PHs due to your statement which was "get in the middle again". You are still a PH and more than likey any minority entering the academy will be labeled as one.

FDSOUTHBX, even though u claim we will be treated equally, in your heart we are still bags of sh.. lol FYI, there are veterans, police officers, and people who has worked for the city serving this communty who are PHs. Do you still consider them **** bags, etc. I myself worked for the city for four years offering my services to the community in need such as, people living in poverty, children being abused sexually, physically, etc. . Within a year I will be a teacher and a fire fighter and you are going to label me a **** bag. For the youngins on this forum talking about priorities, responsibility, hard work and the lack there of that the PHs posses, Stop it. You guys have no clue what that is. U guys haven't experiences life yet. U guys on here disrepecting grown man who has been there, done that, and still doing it.

Yeah, I understand you guy are upset, but the way you guys are labeling us, disrespecting us intellectually and physically is getting tiring.
    Fdnyman likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post

FDSOUTHBX, even though u claim we will be treated equally, in your heart we are still bags of sh.. lolvidently you are taking it personally to the point you hold a vendetta against us. Even if we afe good people outside of this situatio
    Can you post up the Vulcan email that got sent out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Can you post up the Vulcan email that got sent out?
    I didn't receive that email

Forum Member

Relax there pal. I'd be willing to bet anything that no one has gotten more screwed over trying to get this job than myself. I've done tv interviews radio interviews, had peter king and other congressman and senators write on my behalf, had merit matters help me a lot, etc and had to get a lawyer (same lawyer as merit matters) to present my case. If I wasn't in the marine corps i would've been hired in 2005-06. I did the 1.5 mile run in 09 with the class of 70 guys that got canceled and then got kicked off the special military list because it has a 2 year expiration (even though there was no hiring going on the clock still ticks). I just wanted the info of someone that combat medic 92 spoke to so i can clear some stuff up with my processing. And yes I am different than the other PH's because my score and list number was too HIGH to be considered one but they made an exception because of my circumstance
    River6019 and NycQ83 like this.

Forum Member

Vendetta? Uh....i think you're missing the point of my post. I'm not calling all PH's bags of ****. I'm addressing anyone who is on the job or might come on the job.

Let me TELL you what's "in my heart", because you won't find a more reasonable person than I. Everyone will be free of a label when they walk through the doors of a firehouse. That's right, clean slate as an individual. No, I do not like the PH situation, as I've stated before. However, that's a separate issue that deals with the courts, not the individual. When I made reference to "bags of ****" I'm not making reference to any one person or group. I'm saying that good, decent people who join our ranks are treated well and are brought into the fold, the brotherhood. Likewise, those who suck at this job, those who have no interest in adapting to the ways of the job and the lifestyle are dealt with accordingly.

Perhaps I worded my previous post incorrectly. I'm hopeful that the majority of the PH's are going to make the most of this opportunity and additionally, not look for special treatment because they're older and what not.

To be clearer, probies (PH or not)will get a fair shake at making a good impression. If someone sucks, PH or not, they're going to get called out for it. It's funny how these labels (priority hire and what not) get used when it's convenient as a defense against someone asserting that an individual is not necessarily pulling their weight.

Labels suck. Period. They should be left at the door when you join a fire company. We shouldn't apply labels to anyone, be it white, black, Hispanic, female, male, ect. We also shouldn't fall back on those labels when trying to explain why someone is assailing another's work ethic.

I, along with my brothers and sisters on this job have no vendetta, no grudge. We may have some completely understandable negative feelings about retroactive pay and hiring, but that's not something that need not be applied to the person. If a PH is assigned to my firehouse, I hope this is what I have to say a year later, "yeah, he was hired under court order, but so what. He's an all-star and things are good". That's the only way that the bitter taste of this court order goes away. You yourself have stated you never felt discriminated against, but you're not turning down this opportunity. Well, fine and I understand that, but you need to remind yourself that MANY people have been hurt by that court order. Some will never be hired because by now they've aged out and some have now waited 6 years. Guys on the job worked for lousy pay for 5 years to earn the salary you get on day one. There's going to be negative feelings about that, but as long as someone shows motivation and eagerness that label too can be shed.

almostthere, I'm being a pretty straight voice of reason here. You want to address me personally, tell me what's in my heart? Going forward, you sent me a private msg. My mailbox is always open.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 06-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltine_jenkins View Post
    There are many of us from the upromotional that weren't eligible for the January class simply due to time. I got a 98 on the test. What did you get?
    Take it easy buddy !!!

First off I was referring to the guys who scored below an 80 (everyone except for you) know who they are.

Secondly, I got a 98 just like you did. I obtained this score with no extra points, test prep courses or spoon feeding like some other guys did.

Lastly, I am expressing my frustration on the current PH situation. Myself and others on this forum have earned the right to express our frustrations. We have successfully completed the 1st and easiest step of the process and that's passing a simple test. It's disappointing when guys who scored an 80 or lower get to skip the line. I apologize for venting and taking up so much forum space fellas, any good news rerecently ?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Take it easy buddy !!!

First off I was referring to the guys who scored below an 80 (everyone except for you) know who they are.

Secondly, I got a 98 just like you did. I obtained this score with no extra points, test prep courses or spoon feeding like some other guys did.

Lastly, I am expressing my frustration on the current PH situation. Myself and others on this forum have earned the right to express our frustrations. We have successfully completed the 1st and easiest step of the process and that's passing a simple test. It's disappointing when guys who scored an 80 or lower get to skip the line. I apologize for venting and taking up so much forum space fellas, any good news rerecently ?
    Nah, I'm sorry bro - I didn't mean to seem like I was biting your head off.

Forum Member

almostthere can you confirm or deny the number of PHs being hired(around 100). This would probably help put some of the rumors to rest...I know after hearing some of the latest "information" it sounded like 200 or more PHs were to be hired

Thread Information