Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 84855565758596061681081585581058 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 24153
Like Tree9404Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #1141
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    I'll second that.


  2. #1142
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Mine is on the 17th, next saturday.

    I doubt the test will be that hard. 60% of the test is video based. Just pay attention, take good notes and you'll be fine. The other section is reading comprehension. Read every question WORD FOR WORD, and at least 2 to 3 times. You may skim through the question and assume it's asking one thing when something as simple as an extra word can throw the whole question on its head. Pay attention to modifiers, such as least likely, and the primary reason, etc.

    I'm doing the Examnet tutorials, have my second session this Sunday. They do a great job in breaking down the test, and by giving you lots of advice and test taking tips, especially advice on how to answer the personality agree/disagree questions, which I think will be the one section of the test where it will trip alot of people up. Stay consistent, don't take yourself too seriously.

    I will definitely post on the forum my feelings on the exam, without divulging any specific questions obviously.
    I will also be taking my exam this Saturday the 17th. Good luck.

  3. #1143
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    I just called to make sure the ID I currently had was sufficient. PSI answered and said I only need my drivers license. I still will try and bring more.

  4. #1144
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I just called to make sure the ID I currently had was sufficient. PSI answered and said I only need my drivers license. I still will try and bring more.

    Which # did you call?

  5. #1145
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Anybody got a link to the recording of Mannix and Levy? I spoke to that bonehead Levy before and I would love to hear him sound like a rahtard.

  6. #1146
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Forgot to mention this but wanted to throw this out there, during Session B Washington said 1st yr FFs now (I assume he meant THEN since as we know, now there are no first year FFs) were making about $50K, and it would be about $55K by the time we got on. I assume he was factoring in OT, which if any of us are fortunate enough to get on, will be prob not be there since we're taking away that OT now. He also said in his opinion by the time we get on it'll prob be 25 years to retire.

    Who knows, maybe he's right, but then again he also did stress how this job was not dangerous, at all. In fact, he stressed it so much the other guy who was running the class with him interrupted him, took the mic, and said the job was in fact very dangerous. Made me laugh a bit.

  7. #1147
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Forgot to mention this but wanted to throw this out there, during Session B Washington said 1st yr FFs now (I assume he meant THEN since as we know, now there are no first year FFs) were making about $50K, and it would be about $55K by the time we got on. I assume he was factoring in OT, which if any of us are fortunate enough to get on, will be prob not be there since we're taking away that OT now. He also said in his opinion by the time we get on it'll prob be 25 years to retire.

    Who knows, maybe he's right, but then again he also did stress how this job was not dangerous, at all. In fact, he stressed it so much the other guy who was running the class with him interrupted him, took the mic, and said the job was in fact very dangerous. Made me laugh a bit.
    He's def off on the salary, but as much as I hate to agree with him I think the retirement age will be going up as it should be. It sucks but 20 year retirements in this day and age are just unrealistic.

  8. #1148
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    305

    Default

    You won't be getting any OT for at least the length of the academy. Count on base pay, and be prepared to rub together a couple of nickels to afford dinner at night.

    Small tip on the reading comp questions that has allllways worked for me. Read the question first. You'll know exactly what you're looking for. Throw out the filler and get to the point. Good luck.

  9. #1149
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    You won't be getting any OT for at least the length of the academy. Count on base pay, and be prepared to rub together a couple of nickels to afford dinner at night.
    Is base pay for the academy still around 39k? And do you know if you are allowed to use your GI bill for the academy?

  10. #1150
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Can anybody who took the in person city tutorial by now comment on it? Do they literally just go over what is on the online one, like the person on the facebook page claims? I haven't received my call yet, and my window has just passed according to their chart. I am wondering what I am missing, if I don't get to attend.

  11. #1151
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Can anybody who took the in person city tutorial by now comment on it? Do they literally just go over what is on the online one, like the person on the facebook page claims? I haven't received my call yet, and my window has just passed according to their chart. I am wondering what I am missing, if I don't get to attend.
    I went on Saturday. It's the exact same materials as what is online and they basically just read the PowerPoint slides verbatim. When they took questions at the end, I asked if they had any tips on the Background Survey portion and I just got the standard "be honest" response. JMO but if you've already done the online tutorial you're not gonna get anything out of it. It was actually kind of funny because I was talking to a guy before the tutorial started who said he was in the class of 100 that got cancelled and he actually got up and walked out about 10 minutes in when they started showing that damn Myonide video. Guess he realized it was gonna be a waste of time.

  12. #1152
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Wow, thanks for the reply man. Hmmmmm. I'm leaning towards not even trying to contact them about it. Did they show you all of the videos? Including the sink and toilet vids? I imagine so if they are scheduled for 3 hours.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.

  13. #1153
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the reply man. Hmmmmm. I'm leaning towards not even trying to contact them about it. Did they show you all of the videos? Including the sink and toilet vids? I imagine so if they are scheduled for 3 hours.
    They only show you Myonide and infant CPR. The sink and the toilet videos are considered homework. The class was scheduled for 9, didn't start until 9:30 and then ended around 11:30.

  14. #1154
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    852

    Default

    This actually doesn't surprise me. There is only so much the city is gonna do for us. But I was at least hoping for some more feedback on the personality/background portion, like you said. Especially because they more or less dropped the ball on that for 6019. Thanks again for responding.

  15. #1155
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I'm going to the tutorial tomorrow night at 8, at Norman High School on 33rd st. Will anyone else be there?

  16. #1156
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    For one: Don't take anything Washington has to say to heart.
    @zach - Yes. You are able to use your GI Bill for the academy. Someone from the VA will come along to give a schpeel and distribute paperwork.

  17. #1157
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    For one: Don't take anything Washington has to say to heart.
    @zach - Yes. You are able to use your GI Bill for the academy. Someone from the VA will come along to give a schpeel and distribute paperwork.
    Thanks that'll help with bills.

  18. #1158
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    For one: Don't take anything Washington has to say to heart.
    @zach - Yes. You are able to use your GI Bill for the academy. Someone from the VA will come along to give a schpeel and distribute paperwork.
    Thanks that'll help with bills.

  19. #1159
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    21

    Default Impression Control Questions

    Question for any of the guys who attended the Vulcan prep class. What did the instructors say is the best answer for the Impression Control questions (Ex: I am always happy) in the background portion? Did they say it's best to strongly disagree or just disagree? I know the Don McNea booklet says strongly disagree but I'm not so sure about that. Thanks and good luck to all taking it this week.

  20. #1160
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    well im sure you're not always happy so I wouldnt put always happy lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 37 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 26 guests)

  1. cjr,
  2. dwm326,
  3. dylanwill24,
  4. EKFCASPER,
  5. FDNYProspect,
  6. Matador611,
  7. nyckftbl,
  8. SI91,
  9. Spiderneck30,
  10. TheBrooklynKid,
  11. thirdtimesacharm

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts