Like Tree11286Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

FDNY creates new position to strengthen diversity

NEW YORK The New York City Fire Department has created a new position to strengthen the department's minority recruitment and diversity programs.

Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano on Tuesday announced the appointment of Jose Maldonado as the fire department's first-ever Associate Commissioner for Compliance.

The 57-year-old Maldonado is a graduate of New York University School of Law. His public service includes stints as assistant district attorney for New York County and deputy attorney general in the State Attorney General's Office. He also served as commissioner of Juvenile Justice and Consumer Affairs under former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

A federal judge has ruled that the fire department discriminated against minorities in its entrance exam. Some minorities who might have otherwise been hired weren't, and others who were hired might have been hired sooner.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP480d...0f1f26d61.html

Forum Member

Absolutely couldn't stand the personality questions.

Forum Member

You seemed to have a pretty good grasp of them though. Were they tougher than you thought?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    You seemed to have a pretty good grasp of them though. Were they tougher than you thought?

Redundant, monotonous, whatever word you choose to describe it. A section in my opinion that serves no purpose.

I just hate the fact that the personality section may very well decide the fates of prospective firefighters, including myself. Whether I get a good list number is an absolute mystery because it all depends on a pointless questionnaire, and I know for certain that I did very well on the first 4 sections.

Forum Member

After reviewing the Don McNea, I'm not pyshced about the first four sections. His background questionaire advice is gold but the other sections offer no more help than the city's free studyguide. I won't be so comfortable with the four parts. However, I feel pretty comfortable with the questionaire, depending on how they grade it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly.
    There is no cut and dry. No right or wrong answer to these.
    That's going to be the variable that sways your score.
    These tests questions have been utilized in several other tests out there and scores varied based on these.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Would you say that the Don McNea helped in preparing for this exam or did it over prepare you? Or should I be looking for something else to better prepare me for this exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Would you say that the Don McNea helped in preparing for this exam or did it over prepare you? Or should I be looking for something else to better prepare me for this exam?
    The Don McNea book is the same as the Vulcan HW book.

Forum Member

After reviewing the Don McNea, I'm not pyshced about the first four sections. His background questionaire advice is gold but the other sections offer no more help than the city's free studyguide. I won't be so comfortable with the four parts. However, I feel pretty comfortable with the questionaire, depending on how they grade it...
    The thing is, the other 4 sections there really isn't anything to study for. It's just basically get yourself familiar those type of questions. To be honest I'm a little nervous about the video section of the test though. Am I the only one who feels more comfortable taking notes during all 3 viewings as opposed to the city/vulcans recommended method ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    The thing is, the other 4 sections there really isn't anything to study for. It's just basically get yourself familiar those type of questions. To be honest I'm a little nervous about the video section of the test though. Am I the only one who feels more comfortable taking notes during all 3 viewings as opposed to the city/vulcans recommended method ?
    I'm going with taking notes all 3 viewings. I understand the logic behind only watching the first time, but it really depends on the person. For me, I feel like I capture more info when writing for all 3.

Forum Member

You'd be stupid NOT to take notes on the 3 viewing opportunities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I'm going with taking notes all 3 viewings. I understand the logic behind only watching the first time, but it really depends on the person. For me, I feel like I capture more info when writing for all 3.
    I second this. It's up to your learning style. I like to watch first when I'm expected to perform the task. If I'm answering written questions, I take notes. Written documents > Memory

Forum Member

I second this. It's up to your learning style. I like to watch first when I'm expected to perform the task. If I'm answering written questions, I take notes. Written documents > Memory
    Third this. I like to take heavy notes the first 2 times. By the 3rd time, I am pretty much just watching and filling in the blanks on minor details that I didn't have time to jot down the first two times. Not only do I have good notes, but my last time was pretty much uninterrupted viewing which kept everything fresh in my head for the questions.

Everyone is going to be different though, that's why they have the practice videos. Try it out both ways and see which feels better to you.

Forum Member

You know what, I'm really starting to think this is goIng to be a lottery based hiring process. If that's so how would number be established?

Forum Member

You know what, I'm really starting to think this is goIng to be a lottery based hiring process. If that's so how would number be established?
    I think it all depends on how the grades break down. When I was I looking up information on the personality based questions I found a link that basically said when companies give those personality questions they break the applicants into 3 groups. They have green, yellow, and red. Green is definite interview being scheduled and red is no shot and yellow is maybe. This is just a guess on my part but I think we will have sought of two grades. One grade will comprise of the video, reading comp, and math sections. And the other will compromise of the personality section. And this grade will weight more than the information section. So say you score a 95 on the information section but high on the personality section, you're going to get a higher list number than someone that scored 100 on the information section but poorly on the personality section. And in order to separate those that scored well on the personality based section, than they will go to score on the information based sections. So say we scored the same on the personality based section, but I got a 99 on the information, that would separate us and give me the higher list number.

That's just my guess, but when I read that link about how employers use those personality test it got me thinking.

Forum Member

wow.....this is going to start about 3 pages of nonsense back and forth. get ready for a $#*%storm....

Forum Member

I think it all depends on how the grades break down. When I was I looking up information on the personality based questions I found a link that basically said when companies give those personality questions they break the applicants into 3 groups. They have green, yellow, and red. Green is definite interview being scheduled and red is no shot and yellow is maybe. This is just a guess on my part but I think we will have sought of two grades. One grade will comprise of the video, reading comp, and math sections. And the other will compromise of the personality section. And this grade will weight more than the information section. So say you score a 95 on the information section but high on the personality section, you're going to get a higher list number than someone that scored 100 on the information section but poorly on the personality section. And in order to separate those that scored well on the personality based section, than they will go to score on the information based sections. So say we scored the same on the personality based section, but I got a 99 on the information, that would separate us and give me the higher list number.

That's just my guess, but when I read that link about how employers use those personality test it got me thinking.
    Is that how they graded exam 6019?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2000 View Post
    Is that how they graded exam 6019?
    I have no idea, this is just my guess after what I read about how other companies use these personality test to hire. And the Vulcans stressed at their prep class how they think the personality based section is going to weigh heavily on the grading. I could be completely wrong though, this is just my guess. For all I know maybe they already know they're doing a lottery and the exam is just a formality

Forum Member

All I know is there are going to be a lot of broken hearts after this exam. This is f#cking bs many are going to protest seriously. Now my other question is how are tiebreakers conducted exactly?

Forum Member

JoinFDNY facebook page said ties would be broken by SS# but isnt sure how. First 4 or last 4...whateva. Only DCAS / PSI know and they wont tell.

Forum Member

Default Personality Based Questions

Hey, took the test
    Last edited by FFTB; 03-22-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Forum Member

BTW, who ever is taking the test at the 210 Joralemon location in downtown Brooklyn, I would suggest not driving since it is almost impossible to find parking there. The 4,5 2,3 a,c trains stop within a 1-2 block radius Borough Hall st station. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post

my friend is taking it Friday and he requested I ask this..
    I'm still confused. When does the time start? If you were to watch he video only one or twice would you have more time for the questions?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 03-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    my friend is taking it Friday sndtes me to ask?.....
    I'm still confused. When does the time start? If you were to watch he video only one or twice would you have more time for the questions?
    Can you retype what your saying I have no clue what your asking.

Forum Member

For those that have taken the test, how much scrap paper do they give you ? Just from practice I take a lot of notes for videos. And the math I make careless mistakes so I will need quite a bit to double and triple check my answers.

Thread Information