Like Tree9839Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Any updates on how the class is going? Are you guys past the halfway mark yet?
    Was thinking the same thing - I'm currently on my 96th click of refresh.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Was thinking the same thing - I'm currently on my 96th click of refresh.
    Heard that about 30 were getting the boot for failing academically

MembersZone Subscriber

John246
    Turn on your PM's please.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    Wonder if they'll actually be getting the boot though.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Now does "getting the boot" mean gone for good or recyclable?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    John246
    Turn on your PM's please.
    will do.. didn't know it was off or had to turn it on or even how lmao.. but im going to attempt to do it now. Thanx for the heads up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quiles718 View Post
    I use a 60lb vest, wish I knew where to buy additional weight to add on
    here's a simple solution to this which im going to do.. wear the 60 LB vest, and just put a back up on with weight plates in it.

Its too much to wear a back up of 75 pounds of plates in it, because that's 75 pounds all on your back and not evenly proportioned like a vest.. but if you wear a 60 pound vest, and wear a backpack of 15 pounds or so, that's reasonable.

I wasn't sure what kind of vest to buy. Modells sells 40 pounds for $120, I was close to buying that but wasn't crazy about the 40 pounds and the price.. so I was able to order 60 pounds online for cheaper, and when I go on the stair climb machine, I will wear the 60 pound vest with a back pack of a few extra pounds.

Forum Member

Is there anything particular to bring or wear to the CPAT training at the rock?

Forum Member

Hey does anyone who's gone to the training at the rock know if they are serious about getting there only a half hour before the session starts. Would it be bad to go in an hour early, or are you better off siting in your car until 30 mins before it starts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quiles718 View Post
    I figured the time in between the last classes was just to finish processing candidates. I can't imagine the instructors needing "time off" when they are firefighters that opted for the work at the academy. I assume They work Monday thru Friday.
    Great ****ing attitude. You don't have a clue what the academy is like or how difficult and ****ty it can be for the instructors. To go back to the firehouse is probably a vacation in itself compared to teaching.

Now does "getting the boot" mean gone for good or recyclable?
    As I recall with my class people who were failing after the midterm were told to resign in lieu of termination. If they resigned they could come back in the next class. If terminated that option would be gone. I don't know how applicable this will be to PHs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin12345 View Post
    Hey does anyone who's gone to the training at the rock know if they are serious about getting there only a half hour before the session starts. Would it be bad to go in an hour early, or are you better off siting in your car until 30 mins before it starts?
    If they told you "only get here 30 minutes early" I'd listen. They're not playing mindgames.

Forum Member

it doesn't hurt to get there too early.. I arrived at the rock and hour and a half early so if you just sit there so what.. When I went to my DCAS orientation I got there almost 2 hours early, and they let me do the walk thru early and I wound up leaving way before my appointment would of even started.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=As I recall with my class people who were failing after the midterm were told to resign in lieu of termination. If they resigned they could come back in the next class. If terminated that option would be gone. I don't know how applicable this will be to PHs.[/QUOTE]

Son of a gun. I just don't get why they give so many opportunities to retry. I understand injuries and healing from those injuries, but people don't get smarter in 6 months. Well thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Son of a gun. I just don't get why they give so many opportunities to retry. I understand injuries and healing from those injuries, but people don't get smarter in 6 months. Well thanks for the info.
    Yea I don't get it either. From what I remember, a PH came on here and said they only get one try. Well see if they stick to that though.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I walked in an hour early and asked them if it was okay being that the card said to be there no early than 30 minutes before the session starts. They didn't even know that was on the card and said they get there an hour before the session to start signing people in, so the earlier the better.

As for whether or not those that leave the academy get another shot this January, the answer is yes. The lead guy at the rock training today said that 70 people have resigned due to physical and academic problems and all 70 have a shot at the academy again in January.

Forum Member

Default fd

Imagine none of the PH's make it through the academy? Lets see them cry disparate impact then

Forum Member

I walked in an hour early and asked them if it was okay being that the card said to be there no early than 30 minutes before the session starts. They didn't even know that was on the card and said they get there an hour before the session to start signing people in, so the earlier the better.

As for whether or not those that leave the academy get another shot this January, the answer is yes. The lead guy at the rock training today said that 70 people have resigned due to physical and academic problems and all 70 have a shot at the academy again in January.
    Greattttttttttt - honestly don't get the academic part at all.

Forum Member

It wasn't all PHs that were let go, EMS also. Physical tests were other reasons they were let go, for example FST, you must pass both FST tests to graduate. First FST is giving at midterm......

Forum Member

FST? (need extra letters to sumbit this reply; blah blah blah)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    FST? (need extra letters to sumbit this reply; blah blah blah)
    Functional skills training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    It wasn't all PHs that were let go, EMS also. Physical tests were other reasons they were let go, for example FST, you must pass both FST tests to graduate. First FST is giving at midterm......
    I don't give a hoot who was dropped. If you can't pass academically, how is giving it another shot going to go differently? It's not like add/drop in college where you can drop one hard teacher for an easier one. If you can't grasp the material then you can't grasp the material.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

I don't give a hoot who was dropped. If you can't pass academically, how is giving it another shot going to go differently? It's not like add/drop in college where you can drop one hard teacher for an easier one. If you can't grasp the material then you can't grasp the material.
    Don't read to much into my post. I was just trying to say to all the new classes coming in, it's not just academics. The physical part that they added on top of the regular PT, and classes that are physically demanding are very strenuous on the body. If you do not come in shape, young or old, it will catch up to you very quickly.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I spoke with someone (firefighter) who was at the academy yesterday doing training and he said that 12 dudes were let go yesterday because of a combination of academics and physical performance. He also said their general attitude was "I don't care, I'll be back in January."

He also told me that there is a female candidate who has quit the academy three times already and they are basically begging her to stay to keep the female graduation rate up, so that's nice.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I spoke with someone (firefighter) who was at the academy yesterday doing training and he said that 12 dudes were let go yesterday because of a combination of academics and physical performance. He also said their general attitude was "I don't care, I'll be back in January."

He also told me that there is a female candidate who has quit the academy three times already and they are basically begging her to stay to keep the female graduation rate up, so that's nice.
    I'm sorry but this shouldn't be allowed. If you quit or fail out then that's it, you had you chance (injury and other circumstances are a different situation). I know Ive said it before but why are they so strict with most of the other steps in the process but then give you multiple tries at the academy.

Also, can we get one of the PHs on here, one that preferably is in the academy, to settle this and come out and tell us if they get a second chance if they resign from the academy for anything other than an injury.
    Last edited by NycQ83; 09-27-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I'm sorry but this shouldn't be allowed. If you quit or fail out then that's it, you had you chance (injury and other circumstances are a different situation). I know Ive said it before but why are they so strict with most of the other steps in the process but then give you multiple tries at the academy.

Also, can we get one of the PHs on here, one that preferably is in the academy, to settle this and come out and tell us if they get a second chance if they resign from the academy for anything other than an injury.
    This is the bullsh*t that I knew would start when this hiring started. Once you start mixing politics and social projects into a "school" type environment, sh*t begins to hit the fan. This process has given me a bi-annual *** raping for the last 5 years. It's insane.
    test2000 likes this.

Thread Information